Forum › Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story discussion

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Did you try using the The Flowers Will Bloom Again

I did actually, it was quite helpful. Replaced Those Days Are Gone for it. In the end it wasn't too bad, only took me three tries which is when I wrote the above post.

Forgot to mention I used Iroha and Yachiyo for the last five challenge quests, as I said before I wanted to do. I am determined to clear every challenge and EX quest with those two, unless the specific quest makes it completely unfeasible.

last edited at Aug 27, 2020 12:38AM

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

Yup, Hanna actually specifically says that she only had a little magic left

Fair enough, though that's beside the point of her witching out from critical levels of despair. In fact, it makes more sense that she'd end it instead of going the way of Sena.
Speaking of whom, yet another puella who could use having her own unit sometime in the future (given her overall importance, that doesn't seem too unreasonable).

last edited at Aug 27, 2020 2:38AM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I started watching the anime. Just the first episode for now. I think it's almost impossible for me to judge it on its own merits without comparing it to the game, especially cause aspects of it feel so incomplete without the game. I'll just break it down into major likes and dislikes.

- Animation is gorgeous. There has been significant improvement since PMMM lol.
- I like seeing the witches animated since that was one of my favorite parts of PMMM. It's cool how there was a new witch created just for the anime. When the Sandbox Witch appeared, that was awesome too. Zenophobia tearing it apart with no effort was great. Never knew I wanted to see witch turf fights animated.
- Yachiyo is just as badass in the anime as she is in the game. That fight scene with Zenophobia was satisfying.
- Did they just straight up throw all the exposition about magical girls in the beginning of the show? It's just amusing to me because it's like they needed to get all of that out of the way so they could get to the good stuff. That part was done well though since it was backed by Iroha's fight with the witch. Not sure how well it'd go for newcomers but for current fans no more than that was needed.
- Some of the background Easter Eggs were really cool, like having a lot of the girls' wishes in the background. Enjoyable for players to see, cool but not too much of a spoiler for newcomers. Would probably lead some people on if they were to try and speculate.

Dislikes:
- I feel like Iroha is just empty in the anime. In the game the first thing we see of her is a her who's motivated to figure out who this girl in her dream is. One of the first things she does in Kamihama is to rescue Kaede even. Iroha's so... pathetic in the first episode. Has to be rescued by Kuroe for a non-Kamihama witch, doesn't just shoot at the Sandbox Witch and feel like she's "shooting into sand" but is also paralyzed with fear instead of using Strada Futuro, Yachiyo gives her zero recognition unlike what happened in-game with the Sandbox Witch, and Kuroe moves the plot forward rather than Iroha. In the anime, that mysterious blacked-out girl is like a side mission, not the main quest. Iroha just looks, way more pathetic than she does in-game.
- Kuroe moves the plot forward rather than the main protagonist. Kuroe also has zero personality beyond being sullen and silent. Oh and that she wished to go out with someone but has subsequently broke up with them.
- Am not feeling the overall pacing so far. I know they had to condense story to fit the episode format, but lots of random things are thrown in without much of an introduction. This magical girl thing has barely been set up in the anime and you're already trying to show it sucks and that people want to be saved from it, with no build up? The story does have to be condensed, but not that fast right. We don't even have a reason to care about these characters just going off of the anime.

Other:
- Lots of random references to PMMM's first episode, like having Iroha wake up in bed with a stuffed animal next to her, camera aimed straight down at her just like with Madoka. The conspicuous cherry tomatoes in the fridge. The teacher having very similar mannerisms to Kazuko.
- Takarazaki High or whatever school it is Iroha went to before sure seems to love colorful teamwork and friendship propoganda posters.
- Iroha's mom saying the boarding house will be ready for her soon is plot hole? Or is it common practice to send kids who are going to be alone for a while to boarding houses.

In summary I am biased and already not sure if I like the anime's story, but I'll watch all of it. It's pretty and maybe it'll turn out interesting.

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

The current event is too depressing with Hanna killing herself at the end. I really like Hanna was nearly crying when she died. She really needed someone to support and care for her then she would've probably never took the path that she did. I might pick her the next time the GSSR comes out.

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

Sooo...
I don't suppose it's possible to move an account to another server?

Edit: Yeah, I didn't think so.

last edited at Aug 28, 2020 3:58AM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Sooo...
I don't suppose it's possible to move an account to another server?

Edit: Yeah, I didn't think so.

Bleh. What an EN anniversary lol. Guess I'll have to work through the anime before the community for it becomes much smaller. Also rip 4s Iroyachi.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

What happened. Did you delete her or lose your account?

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

What happened. Did you delete her or lose your account?

Well

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

That's it. No reason was given for the server being shutdown other than laziness. There's literally no point in playing the game now. I won't be joining JP either since I can't read Japanese. Well everyone it's been a fun ride but I guess the fun's over now.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

That's it. No reason was given for the server being shutdown other than laziness. There's literally no point in playing the game now. I won't be joining JP either since I can't read Japanese. Well everyone it's been a fun ride but I guess the fun's over now.

As an anime-only, I think even the message above says that the fun isn't over just yet... it's gonna be over the day after I officially start my university education...

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

It's disheartening, especially since my phone apparently can't support the JP version... Ah well. I'm not going to swear off the franchise because of a gacha, already a guilty plasure in itself even as a F2P (y'know, time and effort).

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Still it's making me skeptical of Aniplex's Fate/Grand Order even though I know it's less likely to be shutdown anytime soon.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

especially since my phone apparently can't support the JP version

Is that the reason for sure? You've gotten past the region-locks and everything? There's a smattering of guides around on Reddit, maybe those could be helpful.

So I've already downloaded JP version. But it hurts not being able to understand anything anymore. There is some consolation in that Iroha, Yachiyo, and Kyouko are some of my favorite characters and I got all of them again, so I actually don't mind having to build them up again. But, the Arc 2 story and all new story content... can't experience it the same way as I did Arc 1.

Don't have much storage space or time but my plans for remaining time:
- screenshot some of my favorite scenes and homescreen lines
- record the ones that are even more top-tier favorites
- get as many of my remaining girls to magia five as possible so I can get their doppels and unlock their voice lines
- finish mirrors story
- finish all incomplete MSS
- watch all event stories I missed once that is unlocked
- does that cover everything? Well on top of anything else I've missed, cry.

Edit: Made a pre-resource-dump snapshot of my memoria and magical girls, using the tracking tool. Will make another one on the last or second to last day to see how far I get when I throw in every last drop of material. Still don't yet have the heart to begin archiving story and character moments, but I did begin planning out how to make an awesome battle against Void Walpy using Iroyachi and Madoka. Good thing the passive memos with Iroyachi on them are made for magia building.

I was already doing this a few days ago, so am more prepared for this one, but will probably also make recording Iroha's chap 6 solo fight a goal.

Making the tracking list also made me realize I don't have any girls that are truly irreplaceable, except the 4s Iroyachi. I'm not going to get that lucky again, even if there is a re-run of them. Among my memoria, the ones I'm going to miss the most are honestly the event-limited ones. Those were often the ones I used the most or the ones I enjoyed the most because they were maxed out already and had nice effects. The Azaleas 1 memoria "Those Days Are Gone" is one of my favorites, and might not get it ever again without a JP rerun. "Those Feathers From Before" was the limited 3* memo I was so excited about, and that also will be lost in JP.

Sad about so many things. Another item to add to the list is that I'd just reached the point where I could fight all 1.2x tier players in mirrors without even bothering to check what team comp they had, and win almost all the time. Sadness.

last edited at Aug 28, 2020 6:59PM

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

Is that the reason for sure?

I'm positive, yes.

So I've already downloaded JP version. But it hurts not being able to understand anything anymore.

There's bound to be someone translating the JP content, even if not professionally, either on a blog or YouTube. As I recall, some people were already doing it before the NA version.
On a side note: https://magireco.nuke.moe/

last edited at Aug 28, 2020 6:40PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

So I've already downloaded JP version. But it hurts not being able to understand anything anymore.

There's bound to be someone translating the JP content, even if not professionally, either on a blog or YouTube. As I recall, some people were already doing it before the NA version.
On a side note: https://magireco.nuke.moe/

Raz's list is based on EN MSS, and from what I heard, dedicated fan translation petered out after JP's Arc 1, when EN version released too. One of the wikis has main story summaries which is nice at least, better than nothing, but complete translation as EN did would of course be difficult to pull off by fans only. I think there's some hope for it though.

Well, anyway. I don't think I realized just how invested I was in this game. Not sure if I should stay involved with the community during this time or not. It's both soothing and painful. So I think I'm going to disconnect from everything related for some time, Discord, forums, etc. For here, not like I have any ability to enjoy reading yuri when that'll remind me of MR. So see you all in a bit.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

You can always join Fate/Grand Order then. Unlike Magia Record, that game seems to routinely make tons of money and has a huge (paying) user base unlike this game. PS. If you do decide to join I have an account with a ton of SSRs on my support list. User ID is 312,514,352: Touka Satomi. Arknights seems to also be a newish popular game that you might want to try.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I already play FGO, and like I expressed in a few different places already, MagiReco is a very different beast from FGO in my eyes, and FGO basically lacks all the aspecfts that made me love MagiReco, the only similarities they share is really from a pure gameplay perspective, which never was why I played MagiReco.

Some of these aspects are:

• The (near) absolute lack of a player avatar with significant presence.
  • The (franchise-long) focus on yuri.
  • How fascinating Witches, Uwasa and Kimochi designs are, and how they juxtaposition constrasted to the clean, cutesy designs of the megucas.
  • The down-to-earth nature of the characters themselves, they very rarely are some amazing individual, in fact, most of them are just regular kids.

And those are just some details that I can put in words right now, these are not only aspects that are rare in first place, them all together make MagiReco(and PMMM in general) extremely unique.

last edited at Aug 29, 2020 3:15AM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

I was more talking to riverFlower which I thought people would know by directly replying under him(?). Regardless FGO's events and interludes more than make me want to keep playing. That and there's a ton of servants in the game so there's bound to be at least one that you like whether or not it's for character design, voice acting, story/lore, gameplay/meta value... Also this will probably never happen, but would you (Veya) join if they added Madoka characters into FGO? I'd roll on Homura or Madoka if either of them were added to the game.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I said I already play it, I play both NA and JP FGO servers and I have been playing for 3 years, I enjoy it but for different reasons.

And I highly doubt that we would get such collabs, Nasu has expressed being against off-franchise collabs, speculating what would happen if it did just hurts right now.

last edited at Aug 29, 2020 3:52AM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

If you think about it the Fate series is probably one of the biggest "collaborations" out there since it has so many religious, mythical, and historical figures interacting in one big shared environment.

On the note with this game right now I'm sort of thinking it would have been better if I had never started playing in the first place.

I started playing JP as I am too attached to the game to quit, but it is depressing to start from the beginning when I had maxed out all magias and awakenings on NA

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Yeah, I am feeling largely the same, I am also balancing two different accounts right now, because different people offered me them, one has a number of nat 4-stars at 1slot(an older account someone had collecting dust), while the other has around ~300 rolls saved(a startup account a friend of mine bought off eBay when he saw how hard the NA shutdown hit me), I am waiting for the Limited Character banner and how it pans out to decide which account I am sticking to, as those 300 rolls, in addition to the free rolls, give me a fairly realistic chance of getting OG Homura back at 4 slots, and she is by far the most important character I could roll for right now.

last edited at Aug 30, 2020 11:18PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

I can't read any Japanese so for me to join the Japanese server would be pointless especially with story/text heavy games like this. Not to mention that unless they decide to add Ashley, I won't get to use one of my favorite units either.

People are working on translating the JP game, so I do recommend starting now to get the 3rd-anniversary stuff

https://www.reddit.com/r/magiarecord/comments/ijxzm3/rayshift_is_still_working_on_translating_japan/

Here is their twitter account:

https://twitter.com/FGO_Esp

joined May 28, 2016

Looking back now it seems like there was signs that Aniplex had given up on this game much earlier than it was announced. First they moved up Yachiyo and Iroha unit. They then skipped the login story since it wouldn't matter since the decision was already made. Frankly if they had run this game like Fate/Grand Order instead of rushing it people probably would not have gotten burned out. People asked them to slow down but they ignored the requests so...

To reply you must either login or sign up.