Forum › Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story discussion

Their transformation is also a reference to Daisies (1966)

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

@Polycell Did you actually get them or not?

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

I got them three slotted. My first one was after twenty rolls; the next two were after reaching pity. Unfortunately I got spooked by Kyouko when I hit pity again(after going through the tedious process of spending dozens of single roll tickets to get there). I'd have rather it have been somebody I didn't already have if I wasn't going to get that fourth slot, but I guess a third slot on a girl I actively use isn't the worst outcome.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Another unit for me to save up for, regardless of how good it is. Haven't even looked at the stats but I know will be trying for them when they're released.

I looked at the plot summary for the movie and it is a trip lol.

I've finally finished all of the doppel quests! I'm no longer an eternal noob. :D

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

^ If you stopped being a noob, then you never were an eternal noob in the first place, just a noob.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

^Why must you police the grammar, BV. XD But fair enough.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I finally got around playing the event because I picked up Persona 5 Royal recently(and completely unrelated to MagiReco but Ann x Shiho OTP) and that was taking all my time... but now that's done with, I am back to playing MagiReco.

Man, this event took a dark turn towards the end... I am glad it wasn't as dark as I initially thought though.

As a side note, can we all stop to appreciate how Alina is aggressively gay? this is hardly even about Mifuyu anymore, she appreciates most of what she sees.

last edited at Jul 18, 2020 12:38PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

As a side note, can we all stop to appreciate how Alina is aggressively gay? this is hardly even about Mifuyu anymore, she appreciates most of what she sees.

I'm torn as to whether that's aggressively gay or aggressively creepy cause honestly leans towards the latter for me, but it is very Alina.

joined Oct 22, 2018

I'm torn as to whether that's aggressively gay or aggressively creepy

Porque no los dos?

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I'm torn as to whether that's aggressively gay or aggressively creepy cause honestly leans towards the latter for me, but it is very Alina.

I'd say it is a mix of both, with a touch of Alina's behavior of viewing anyone who she doesn't consider an "artist" as a lesser being, Mifuyu is simply a rabid animal to her, but she still acknowledges the hot bod.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Hoping for a more relaxing event after this one. Something with better rewards instead of a x4 price hike. This is tiring.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Oh, yes, absolutely, I was actually planning on skipping the EX quests to rest through cuz I don't really enjoy challenge for challenge's sake that much, but I decided to do them just because that's an additional, easy 250 currency... though they turned out not that hard, even if my team set up for EX5 was rather overpowering.

It is off that I am going to hit the 2000 currency mark just from farming my essentials, though...

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

It's really funny how broken the game's difficulty balance is. I can clear pretty much everything using one 4s support with top-tier MLB memoria so I can't imagine how easy the game becomes with three or more of those. And then if you don't have that, EX challenges instantly become much harder. There's not much of a middle ground between for strategy, because the game doesn't reward that.

Rant aside, I started farming labyrinths instead of episode quests. Screw being AP-efficient when I'm never running out of pots.

Edit: Geez, is this where Inucurry got the idea for Beachside Bonds from? There's an entire wiki page on consensual homicide. It's sort of disturbing seeing macabre fiction reflect reality.

last edited at Jul 20, 2020 4:04AM

joined Oct 22, 2018

consensual homicide

That brings one bad memory back to mind, but I'll just leave the comment and that (unless anyone is interested about a small part of how I used to be when I was about the same age my brother is now)

last edited at Jul 20, 2020 4:52AM

I have been grinding that much that I have almost ran out of 50 AP pots (just ten left, and I will finish those off before I sleep)

I have almost grinded everything that I need so the only problem I have left is CC

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

@BV, that does seem like quite the personal matter, so this forum wouldn't be the place for that. I do hope though that things have been well since.

I have been grinding that much that I have almost ran out of 50 AP pots (just ten left, and I will finish those off before I sleep)

That's impressive, I can't even imagine grinding so much I run out of AP pots. Are you close to finishing the shop?

Just played through Tsukasa's MSS. Another storyline that left me with conflicting feelings. I like the twins even more than I did when I learned of their general backstory. Kanagi is adorable. Even Alina approved. Their wish was such a human one. It's the sort of wish that seems too good to be true, but they seem happier after it. So... can it be said they got what they truly wanted?

What's also weird is that instead of reinforcing the feeling that they were sisters, Tsukasa's MSS reinforced the feeling of them as strangers with, uh, subtext romantic undertones. Meeting at Mizuna Shrine like the reunited couple in the rumors did, being compared to their mom and dad, etc. Very subtext cause a purely familial interpretation is more than feasible but still. Maybe I'm just overthinking it with yuri goggles. What's strange is I usually hate incest of any sort.

last edited at Jul 21, 2020 4:44AM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Maybe I'm just overthinking it with yuri goggles.

Yeah... with the Amanes I am sure you aren't... there is a ton of subtext between them, including using romantic coding like sharing a scarf, then there is this, then a step above holding hands with interlocked arms, and then there is this one shot of them gazing into each other's eyes from the anime... even the current event shop memoria, despite the somber tone, shows them holding hands with interlocked fingers, which much like the scarf thing, has a degree of romantic coding to it, and all this is without going into the grandiose declarations of love they made towards each other during the Walpurgis fight.

And yeah, I am normally with you about hating incest... but I've put some degree of thought to it, and I reached the conclusion is that the way the twins' relationship is set up, there is a sincerity to it, incest very often can come across as fetishistic, a forced unnatural situation for the viewer's benefit first and foremost, due to the appeal of its "forbidden" nature, while the Amanes come across far more as people who need each other first and foremost, with the fact they are related being pretty much secondary to that.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Ah yes, the big deal that's made about how they hold hands all the time, although that's another thing which blurs the line between romantic and familial since it can be both. I wasn't even thinking about non-MSS stuff when I made the post but I know they gave chocolates to each other during a Valentine event too. They also have conjoined doppels which would block out the rest of the world at their worst.

while the Amanes come across far more as people who need each other first and foremost, with the fact they are related being pretty much secondary to that.

The only thing is them being related is still one of their primary traits. They're always referred to as the twins, they think of themselves as twins, and they restart their relationship not as friends but as sisters primarily at the end of Tsukasa's side story (which also has undertones of a marriage vow jesus). One thing that does make it less creepy is I believe they don't ever call each other nee-chan or anything, and they don't think of the other as their sister, but as Tsukuyo/Tsukasa-chan.

What they have right now is more of an exploration on how much one could push the boundaries of codependency, familial love, and romantic love, so I don't think I'd actively ship it. But I could see a development for them where their relationship becomes less sisterly, Not that the writers would have the guts to do that. Technical incest plus yuri = double not happening.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Well, something to keep in mind is that the way they bonded together was under the assumption they were just strangers who looked very similar, it isn't until the very bottom end of their personal story that they learn that they are in fact sisters, and that brings to question how much they really think of each other as sisters, and how much they describe each other as sisters because no matter how they think, it's still factually true.

A different interpretation is also that their relationship is warped by the nature of their wish, as as while they wished to "never hate each other", their true intent was that they would always be together, and intent has a huge effect on how wishes play out(see: Felicia's wish being warped by her confusion at the time, despite having proper wording), thus their wish causes them to think of each other primarily as "the most important and most beloved person to me", with this feeling being made stronger by anything that threatens to drive them apart, which is a constant feeling for them considering their situations with their respective families. My personal interpretation of their relationship is actually a combination of both options, while they held a strong connection, they weren't truly family, and their wish pushed them further into that mutual dependence.

Either way, my thing with the Amanes is that there is so much subtext between them, very much past the point that there would be any doubt if they weren't both girls, that I figured that I'd either have to accept them being incestuous, or reject them entirely as characters, so I went with the former.

last edited at Jul 21, 2020 4:59PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Well, something to keep in mind is that the way they bonded together was under the assumption they were just strangers who looked very similar

Hmm no, the first thing they find out about each other is that they are related. Tsukasa and Tsukuyo are scared shitless of each other at the shrine. When they're trying to run away, they see each other's flutes, both flutes inscribed with their dad's mark and with complementary half moon marks. Then they figure out they're twins and start hanging out after that.

thus their wish causes them to think of each other primarily as "the most important and most beloved person to me"

I'd agree their wish could have impacted their feelings, which would be problematic because that calls into question the validity of their current feelings. Just like how Rika's friend's feelings for her were a wish-induced lie, that could be the case here too. And we saw how much her wish backfired once she realized. Therefore I'd like to think that isn't so for the twins and that their wishes affect them only when it comes to hating each other. The understanding each other, choosing to spend time together, I hope most of that was untouched.

My personal interpretation of their relationship is actually a combination of both options, while they held a strong connection, they weren't truly family, and their wish pushed them further into that mutual dependence.

Yeah it's weird because they started talking to each other because they were family, had similar enough stressful backgrounds to form a connection separate from being family, felt they couldn't survive without that other person who understood them, and made a wish for the explicit purpose of letting them always be together as sisters. It is quite the mess.

Either way, my thing with the Amanes is that there is so much subtext between them, very much past the point that there would be any doubt if they weren't both girls, that I figured that I'd either have to accept them being incestuous, or reject them entirely as characters, so I went with the former.

I think the Amanes are one of the few cases where I'm fine with them remaining subtext, as the current dynamic is quite discomforting. Both the being sisters part and any role their wish plays in their feelings. ...That anime scene though. I haven't watched the anime yet but that scene by itself without context is the closest it gets to making me completely reconsider.

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

That longing gaze doesn't even have that much context in the anime - it's just blatant fanservice.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Hmm no, the first thing they find out about each other is that they are related.

While it is brought up in the story, the understanding I had is that they didn't believe it, when they have their falling out, the idea they are related is the first thing that gets thrown out of the window, and when Mifuyu confirms it to them at the end, their reaction told me they weren't just being hurtful due to being upset, it was what they truly believed at the time.

It is quite the mess.

Oh, I didn't even bring up all of it, one particularly steamy piece of speculation points out that their meeting in the shrine reflects the story of the two lovers that Yachiyo told Iroha in chapter 3(the story is also told in the anime, so if you are planning to watch it, you can just see it there instead of trying to dig it up), and thus it is speculated that the twins may actually be reincarnations of the two lovers. There is zero evidence to support this other than being narratively fitting, though.

That longing gaze doesn't even have that much context in the anime - it's just blatant fanservice.

This is true, but the anime gives very little context to a lot things, and how it fails to represent characters properly, something the game never had an issue since it could always afford to show that character elsewhere, and instead pretty much assumes that the viewer knows them already, is one of the main criticisms it received, as a result I feel that I can't look at that gaze in a vacuum, plus the gaze isn't the only shot of them being too intimate in that sequence, as that entire sequence is a weird mix of them heavily physically leaning into each other, and interpretative dance.

But talking about failing to represent the characters, Alina is one of the ones that get rid the hardest, if she is half a character without both her MSS and her relevant events, she is about a tenth of a character in the anime, were we are barely given context to how she thinks, just that she is wild.

last edited at Jul 22, 2020 3:33AM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Hmm no, the first thing they find out about each other is that they are related.

While it is brought up in the story, the understanding I had is that they didn't believe it, when they have their falling out, the idea they are related is the first thing that gets thrown out of the window, and when Mifuyu confirms it to them at the end, their reaction told me they weren't just being hurtful due to being upset, it was what they truly believed at the time.

Well if anything I think that reinforces their bond being formed through being sisters. When they got along well, they were sisters; when they hated each other, they rejected that bond. The fact-checking from the doctor is a coincidence that furthered them being willing to be open with each other again. I also think they were more taken by the anecdote of them holding hands moments after birth than the confirmation that they were twins, which I'm sure they factually believed already. When they stopped talking to each other and disavowed each other as sisters, it was more like how people can disown a child or cut off contact with a family member. They're "not family" anymore, even if biologically they still are.

When I keep saying their relationship is just weird, this stuff is what I mean. The deepest, most passionate, intimate feelings they have of needing each other are just as intensely equated to them being sisters. The more of a bond they have, the more "sisterly" they are. Even though to most outsiders, it appears that the more of whatever connection they have going on, the less familial it becomes.

one particularly steamy piece of speculation points out that their meeting in the shrine reflects the story of the two lovers

Ah yep I thought of that even before watching Tsukasa's MSS actually. When they showed up in the Eternal Sakura event and something was said about them regularly meeting each other at Mizuna Shrine, I was incredulous. Like what are the writers thinking, making them fit into the story about the reunited lovers with such notable parallels. As a side note, I was already shipping Iroha and Yachiyo some time around chapter 3 because of that shrine story. XD

But talking about failing to represent the characters, Alina is one of the ones that get rid the hardest, if she is half a character without both her MSS and her relevant events, she is about a tenth of a character in the anime, were we are barely given context to how she thinks, just that she is wild.

This is hearsay, as again I have not watched the anime, but doesn't the anime only cover up to chapter 6? And Alina doesn't appear much up to that point even in the game?

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

This is hearsay, as again I have not watched the anime, but doesn't the anime only cover up to chapter 6? And Alina doesn't appear much up to that point even in the game?

At that point in the game, we had Alina's MSS, Karin's MSS and Halloween event, and her appareances in the story to work off, giving us a very different picture on Alina's character, in fact, this is something that got messed up by #NATempo, but Alina actually debuted in Karin's Halloween event in JP, and it was a big shock to a lot of people seeing her sociopathic behavior in main story as compared to the event, where she is much kinder(because it's Karin).

Mitama also got hit pretty hard, where her trolly behavior is pretty much entirely gone in the anime, while we do get to see some other aspects of her later, in particular her cooking through one sequence of her quite cheerfully dumping ketchup on a piece of cheesecake and looking rather satisfied with herself once she was done, it never truly communicates the wild card that she is in the game, while the game got that done very quickly with her line to Iroha to strip...

This is ultimately the issue the anime faced, those things could be handled differently in the game due to being a different medium, but there weren't any significant changes to acomodate for the difference between a gacha and an anime, instead more or less relying on you... playing the gacha, basically. Though I need to clarify, this doesn't make the anime bad, I didn't even realize that issue while watching it specifically because I played the game and covered for the issue, it had to be pointed out to me after the fact.

That aside, the second Tart Magica event has started, and all I have to say is... man, fuck CC...

last edited at Jul 22, 2020 11:10AM

It only took 2 ten rolls to get Corbeau, and I also have no CC left

To reply you must either login or sign up.