Forum › Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story discussion

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Alina actually debuted in Karin's Halloween event in JP, and it was a big shock to a lot of people seeing her sociopathic behavior in main story

That had to have been completely on purpose. Good way to introduce Alina's erratic behaviors.

I'm reading through the first event's story and I'm getting emotional from how exciting it is. 39 episodes, they spared no expense for it. Sort of crazy but I'm going to try to finish the entire event before starting the new one. I just love all of the character moments throughout. Tart bringing the light of dawn/hope, a blatant spelling out of what Yachiyo's real ability was (though I doubt anybody figured it out at the time?), and new avatars! It's amusing they still kept La Hire and the Baron as faceless blue figures but at least they got distinctive features. It would really benefit the story if not every non-magical girl is faceless, but I think they've dug themselves in deep and aren't going to let go.

It only took 2 ten rolls to get Corbeau

Nice, I got two Corbeau's in my first 10 roll. 3* rate-ups make them pretty easily acquirable so no regrets.

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

Well it looks like the current event "requires" (if you want to get the paltry magia stones) you to use blast gorillas or characters with high attack because there's turn limits to the battles. Tanks, Support units, healers, and anyone who doesn't deal a crapton of damage isn't that useful as of chapter 3 where I stopped due to low battery on phone.

Also I really don't like how most stages give one to three magia stones like that small amount is supposed to matter given how expensive a ten-roll costs in this game (250 magia stones) unlike in FGO where even one SQ is a decent amount and ten rolls only cost 30 SQ.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

It's amusing they still kept La Hire and the Baron as faceless blue figures but at least they got distinctive features.

This is because Gilles and La Hire actually have distinct designs in the manga, and are part of the consistent supporting cast, they sure could have afforded to give them full L2Ds, but at least there was some effort to keeping them consistent.

This also happens to Pernelle, where she is given a "generic detailed" model in Tart 2, but unlike the guys, she is actually given a full detailed model in Tart 3, but she is a meguca after all, even if the oldest meguca in the franchise at the time of her appereance clocking at over 60 years old, so it is strange they didn't give her a detailed model right away.

Well it looks like the current event "requires" (if you want to get the paltry magia stones) you to use blast gorillas or characters with high attack because there's turn limits to the battles. Tanks, Support units, healers, and anyone who doesn't deal a crapton of damage isn't that useful

Something to keep in mind is that if a stage says "Turn 1/8" and the quest requirement is "Clear within 8 turn(s)", surviving to the 8th turn will end the stage as a win and will complete the quest, it is better if you can just win as it will save time, and that does make high damage units better, but it also doesn't make lower damaging units useless.

To be perfectly frank, I am loving the brainlessness of this after 3 double grind events in a row, Nanaka being able to clear the 240k HP Lapine in one shot is just a joy, sometimes there are benefits to just going "Haha Blast go brrrr".

Also I really don't like how most stages give one to three magia stones like that small amount is supposed to matter given how expensive a ten-roll costs in this game

Going off this logic, 8-9 Magia gems(more accurately 8.33 but we can't get a fraction of a magia stone) is the equivalent to 1 SQ in FGO, you get 1 SQ for clearing a "chapter"/section in FGO, clearing 1-1 to 1-5 plus the boss gives 1 per stage plus 2 for the boss stage missions plus 10 for actually killing the boss(which can be done over multiple attempts if you somehow fail the first attempt), for a total of 19 Magia Stones for that segment, marking down for over double the premium currency as compared to FGO.

The thing is that specifically because rolls are 250 rocks, they drip feed Magia stones far more, instead of giving the whole thing at the end of a segment, it would be as if FGO gave a Quartz Fragment after every fight instead of giving the whole Quartz at the end, now you could argue that FGO will sometimes give a Quartz for absolutely nothing because a segment will be just 5 0 AP nodes in a row, but the value of 0 AP nodes is a different argument altogether, an argument we already had.

Another point that could be made is that weekly missions in FGO give 3 Quartz per week, while daily missions over the course of a week in MagiReco gives 70 Magia Gems, which is almost triple in terms of value, and while daily missions do require more effort, they are very free form and allow you to do them however you want, plus incentivize players to play consistently.

last edited at Jul 22, 2020 6:20PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Be strong Kako! Don't wake Felicia:

Felicia x Kako NSFW

Anyway my minor gripe with the gameplay of the event which usually can be overcome with a blast Gorrilla like Homura, Ashley, Darc, Kyoko... I'm really liking the story itself this time and am spending a little more effort than the past events.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

This graph makes me realize how far I am from reliably four slotting IroYachi. 400 rolls for a 50% shot at it, 500 for 80%, and 90% is reached at 600 rolls. Barely have 200 rolls currently. If I had known this I wouldn't have spent any rolls on Ashley. curse you Ashley.

This event is a breath of fresh air compared to the non-stop double-grind ones. I'm going to take my time with it since they finally gave us more than five days for an event.

I'm really liking the story itself this time

What do you like about it?

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

I don't have any specific thing so far it's more a general feeling of seeing Ui, Elisa, Darc, and Liz overcoming the challenges presented before them. Although I'm only at chapter 3 so my views may change as I complete more chapters.

Also have some Tsuruno x Yachiyo

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Frankly, the main set up to the story is extremely fanfic-ey, and no shortage of comparisons to the Smartphone Isekai and they are all extremely apt, but how the story unfolds is very solid, and it also does a good job at being something that you can follow without having read the original series, while also giving just enough to those who know what is up, in particular one line is a pretty dead giveaway to whom the three sister's "benefactor" is(it was fairly obvious before but that line confirms it), and had me going "Ah shit...", but I don't think you can possibly know without the Tart Magica knowledge and instead a different mystery plays out.

Either way, I am done up to the timelock and all four Challenge stages, I am missing like two of the Medium difficulty challenge stages cuz I ran out of AP and it wasn't worth using a pot over them, so I will do them later today, but I have done all Hard challenge stages so it's a moot point.

last edited at Jul 23, 2020 6:24AM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

I never really like time gates during events since the best currency nodes are usually only available for a couple days and once you've hit the time gate there's not much reason to play the game.

I heard that 2-2 is the best place to grind in the event so it's not like grinding is time gated

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Any of the "Hard" stages are the best farming node, as they all drop the same amount of currency(20-ish before bonuses) for the same 10 AP, 2-2 just stands out as being the easiest "Hard" stage, having only two Flame mobs with 120k HP each in vertical alignment that can easily be cleared by Nanaka in 1 turn, which makes it the fastest, but a different "Hard" stage will do just fine.

3-3 also stands out for dropping Pendulum Screws and Pendulum Bobs, so if you need those mats for whatever reason it is good to go there instead, do keep in mind that drops in this event are... kinda weird, they aren't listed in the "Rewards" section of the node and enemies won't drop chests, but you will still occasionally get mats as reward for clearing the node, but when I tested it, it worked just fine. Similarly, any stages that have you fighting megucas, be it the sisters or random mobs, will randomly drop books, Hard stages specifically drop Book+ of random element.

The situation where the best farming stages are the later ones only happen in double grind events, with story events like this one, it is quite the opposite, with the best farming stage being the lowest AP cost with guaranteed drops(so usually 10 AP) that is the quickest to clear, though OG Homura's event had a unique situation where the best farming event was actually Challenge 1, as it had the lowest AP cost(5AP per run) but due to being a challenge stage it was also guaranteed to drop currency, making it the best stage to farm.

last edited at Jul 23, 2020 5:29PM

It's weird grinding without 50 AP pots but I have more than 200 max AP pots so I won't run out any time soon

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

My Nanaka only has one slot though. Hopefully I can substitute my 5* Yachiyo Instead. Especially if I team her up with Nevri's Nanaka or Cool Homura (both of which are 4 slot) and my 2 slot Ashley.

I also like during battles during any gacha game where people can apparently materialize out of thin air, fight the bad guys, and then vanish without staying around to help out nor being recognized that they're even there.

Yachiyo would work but it would take twice as long (Nanaka hits both at once, Yachiyo only hits one at a time)

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Asuka also works just fine if you happen to have her leveled and fully slotted, as she is also a triple vertical Aqua Blast Gorilla, Nanaka is just better for a few reasons, and even without either of them, yeah Yachiyo would serve just fine, just that the positioning of the mobs favor Nanaka due to her having vertical discs.

That said, I'd recommend you to focus on picking support options with at least a +5, which is equal to a MLB shop Memoria, a +10 bonus(so two MLB shop Memorias, assuming you MLB your own, though it's only recommended to do that if you favor FP gain) is a 50% increase, so it is nothing to scoff at.

last edited at Jul 23, 2020 5:48PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

A non-MLB version of the shop CE gives you +8 assuming you put one copy on each of your magical girls. As for Asuka while I have her she's unleveled and has only one slot so she won't help that much for this event. Right now I haven't been using any of the CEs since I'm more focused on finishing the missions first then I can grind via auto-battle.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Yes, but MLB'ing your Memoria will make you a better option for support, which in turn returns more FP than having a non-LB copy, which I personally favor, as it also allows me to grind using only one girl for simple and unpolluted disc polls, which leads to much quicker stage clears, so there are advantages to it.

You can also look at it as a "giving back" kind of mentality, if everyone had the mindset of not MLB'ing to maintain maximum personal bonus, you would never be able to find supports with MLB memoria(gacha Memoria not withstanding, it exists aside from the shop memoria), which would make you get only a +10 anyway(4 non-LB copies+1 non-LB support), so some people need to MLB theirs, and I have no issues being one of those people.

last edited at Jul 23, 2020 8:35PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

In events where you cannot get twenty copies of the CEs I typically given each of my support characters exactly one copy of the shop memoria (minus one usually forest or flame). If I put all my eggs in one basket (by merging the memoria) then it's less likely to get friend points. Not that I'm too concerned about that since I almost never spend friend points in this game outside of the monthly 500K CC in the shop and mainly do the daily free roll on the friend point gacha. I suppose if there's going to be no rerun for the particular event I might merge them after the event is over or burn/fodder them if the effects, stats, or card art aren't worth using.

I sometimes keep "bad" memoria if I like the card art on them since unlike FGO, I don't think this game has a place where you can view all of your obtained memoria- even ones that were burned/foddered.

PS. Are you still alive Nevri, I never see you post here anymore.

last edited at Jul 23, 2020 10:47PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

In events where you cannot get twenty copies of the CEs I typically given each of my support characters exactly one copy of the shop memoria (minus one usually forest or flame). If I put all my eggs in one basket (by merging the memoria) then it's less likely to get friend points.

Really? If that's what you've determined from observations then I guess that might work. Personally I only check ALL supports for event memoria. If none of the supports in the list have the event memoria, I don't even bother checking the rest as it's not worth the time. And I noticed that when I had ALL +2 in the last event, versus ALL +5 during other ones, I got less FP for sure.

Oh same though, I've wondered that a few times. Last time they posted anywhere on this site was a month ago.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Here's a partial list I came up with for the Magia Record characters as Fate servants.

Homura: Assassin, Avenger, Alter Ego (possibly), Archer
Madoka: Caster, Archer, Ruler
Kyoko: Lancer
Sayaka: Berseker, Saber
Mami: Archer, Berserker, Caster

Iroha: Archer, Caster
Yachiyo: Lancer
Tsuruno: ?
Sana: Shielder
Felicia: Berserker

Mayu: Caster, Lancer
Rika: Caster
Ren: Lancer(?)

Mifuyu: Assassin, Caster
Touka: Caster
Nemu: Caster

Tart: Ruler, Saber, Rider(?)
Liz: Asssasin, Saber, Rider

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

If I put all my eggs in one basket (by merging the memoria) then it's less likely to get friend points.

That's not really how it works though, in most situations people will favor higher bonus over a character that is "good" for the node they are farming, on top of the fact that people very often only check the All slot in first place, in my experience, it has simply been a waste of time to put Memorias in different elements, even in events that provide enough copies to put MLB in 4 different elements.

Not that I'm too concerned about that since I almost never spend friend points in this game

You can get Unlimited 4-star Memoria off the FP gacha, so it is actually worth it, I separate 20k FP every month for the CC+pots, and the rest gets rolled, the chance to get a 4-star Memoria is low, but it is not an unrealistic chance, and every time I dip my toes into FP gacha(usually every other month or so when I given time for my FP to build up), I return 6-7 different 4-star Memoria, it ends up feeling like it pays off.

I constantly see Nevri's account having recent login in game so I am sure she is fine, maybe she is just busy or has another reason to not come around anymore, either way she will come around when she feels like it.

Tart: Ruler

Okay, how much was this on purpose? cuz if you think about it for a minute or two...

I sometimes keep "bad" memoria if I like the card art on them since unlike FGO, I don't think this game has a place where you can view all of your obtained memoria- even ones that were burned/foddered.

You can see memoria and other stuff in the archive

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

That's not really how it works though, in most situations people will favor higher bonus over a character that is "good" for the node they are farming, on top of the fact that people very often only check the All slot in first place, in my experience, it has simply been a waste of time to put Memorias in different elements, even in events that provide enough copies to put MLB in 4 different elements.

It sounds like this game has a different mentality that FGO where you have nine instead of six support slots and there's usually more than one event current type unlike this game where there's only a single currency type per event. Often the CEs don't boost all currency types either in that game so it's (usually) better for non-whales (I only whaled on Skadi) to leave CEs unmerged until the event is over then either merge them or burn them depending on whether or not the CEs are good for general use like Holy Night Supper (aka drunk Jalter), Golden Sumo, Dive to Blue...

Okay, how much was this on purpose? cuz if you think about it for a minute or two...

Well it was late at night and I was tired so I guess not all of them would align exactly. I do wonder what would happen if Tart met her counterpart (either Jalter, normal Jeanne, or Jailter) from the Fate series though.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

It sounds like this game has a different mentality that FGO

Even in FGO people vastly favor Support Casters, Skadi, Waver and Merlin are always top picks, but the thing is that, this is the key factor here, your support doesn't affect the outcome of the farming stage that much, the stage people are farming is 2-2 and your support could be a level 1 Kuro, and it'd still be good enough to clear that stage in the usual 1-2 turns, in this context, it is far better to focus on whoever gives the most bonus, it could be a level 1 Nemu, who is objectively the worst character for that stage, and I'd pick her if she had a +12(MLB shop Memoria+MLB gacha Memoria) bonus.

It's a very different context for Challenges, where your support does matter and a lot, but those stages also very rarely are important as farming stages, when they are in double grind events they are also unaffected by currency drops.

last edited at Jul 24, 2020 4:14PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Well I merged my CE and slapped in on my Mifuyu (all slot). Today I got an anti-stun memoria from the support gacha so I locked it. I usually keep anti-status effect memoria unmerged especially if the effect is guaranteed at base since you use them for the passive not the stats on particular levels where the status effect is particularly bothersome.

As for FGO except on really hard levels I typically prefer semi-support units like Wu Zetian, Osakabehime, Ishtar (Archer), Ishtar (Rider)... over dedicated support units like Merlin, Skadi, Waver... Anyway I slapped my Nero (Caster) up for the current event in the game. There's enough people with Skadi on their support lists.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Was looking through the Google Play store and saw an app called My First Valentine with Madoka. Apparently it's a test VN with the focus on HomuMado although I haven't gotten the time to download it and try it out.

To reply you must either login or sign up.