Forum › And Then, the Two of Us... discussion

joined May 19, 2016

I think from the start, Fushiko was obviously some kind of otherwordly being permitted to go to earth for a period of time, but extended it because of Yuu. I think when she turns 18 she'll gain freedom. Y'know, adulthood... And will come back for you... Kinda creepy with the yandere tendencies, but otherwise... Very intriguing

joined Dec 31, 2015

Nice chapter, but this one page with the letter bothered me enough that I decided to fix it.

Thank you very much for the correction! It was my first time editing (and actually my first time using photoshop in general so I probably made a lot of mistakes, pardon me if I did...

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

Thank you very much for the correction! It was my first time editing (and actually my first time using photoshop in general so I probably made a lot of mistakes, pardon me if I did...

In that case you didn't do too badly, if this really was your first time using Photoshop.

Try to give text the correct perspective, if it exists in the actual scene (it's "diegetic"). You can skew a textlayer by holding ctrl and moving the handles at the sides of the textbox. If the text is supposed go on, and be aligned with a rectangular surface (e.g. a sign), then all you have to do is make the sides parallel with the sides of the sign and then move the text to it's final position.
If the surface has perspective distortion, however (opposite sides are parallel in the scene, but they're not parallel on paper due to perspective), then skewing is not enough. You can give text a perspective transformation by converting it to a shape and then using free transform. Move the corners of the shape to the position of the corners of the surface it's supposed to go on to establish the correct perspective. Then scale the shape by moving the handles of the side to give it the correct dimensions while preserving the correct perspective.
The downside of the method is that you basically have to start over if you make a single mistake; Photoshop doesn't really have good tools for this as far as I know. Illustrator may be a better choice but I've never tried that. In the case of this page it was a bit more difficult, too, because the letter had a fold in the middle.

Other than the perspective stuff, try to use a suitable font for different situations. For example, use a handwritten font for stuff that is supposed to be handwritten, etc. (I used "KG La Belle Aurore" here.)
Also, outlines make things look like they're not part of the scene (think sound effects). Did Serina really put an outline around her letters? Probably not.

If you liked the correction, feel free to update the file on Dynasty with my edit.

last edited at Jul 17, 2016 8:37AM

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

Oops, also I noticed that I wrote "Serina" instead of "Serika". New edit: https://postimg.org/image/fnbl87ra9/

Nyarin
joined Mar 20, 2012

The art is absolutely gorgeous. My guess is that Fushiko is a vampire because ofthe blood drinking and healing powers.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

In that case you didn't do too badly, if this really was your first time using Photoshop.

Try to give text the correct perspective, if it exists in the actual scene (it's "diegetic"). You can skew a textlayer by holding ctrl and moving the handles at the sides of the textbox. If the text is supposed go on, and be aligned with a rectangular surface (e.g. a sign), then all you have to do is make the sides parallel with the sides of the sign and then move the text to it's final position.
If the surface has perspective distortion, however (opposite sides are parallel in the scene, but they're not parallel on paper due to perspective), then skewing is not enough. You can give text a perspective transformation by converting it to a shape and then using free transform. Move the corners of the shape to the position of the corners of the surface it's supposed to go on to establish the correct perspective. Then scale the shape by moving the handles of the side to give it the correct dimensions while preserving the correct perspective.
The downside of the method is that you basically have to start over if you make a single mistake; Photoshop doesn't really have good tools for this as far as I know. Illustrator may be a better choice but I've never tried that. In the case of this page it was a bit more difficult, too, because the letter had a fold in the middle.

Other than the perspective stuff, try to use a suitable font for different situations. For example, use a handwritten font for stuff that is supposed to be handwritten, etc. (I used "KG La Belle Aurore" here.)
Also, outlines make things look like they're not part of the scene (think sound effects). Did Serina really put an outline around her letters? Probably not.

If you liked the correction, feel free to update the file on Dynasty with my edit.

When I had to do something similar (http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_last_uniform_ch30) I probably did it the hard way. (I'm using an old version of photoshop, and I didn't realize at the time you could make text into a shape, or maybe I just didn't wan't to try warping a shape like that.)

I drew lines along the paper edges and folds, then rotated those lines till the center fold line was vertical. Then I made a copy of the text layer and rasterized it. Then I warped the left and right sides of the rasterized text separately to match the lines. Then I rotated the rasterized text to match the page, and finally hid the lines and the original text layer so that I could use them again if I ever wanted to edit that text.

Po
joined Oct 29, 2014

idk what the hell just happened they should make a second part explaining what she was and afterwards at the end she finally see her after turning 18 then the end. then a third part would be them becoming one and that would be the end of the story.

joined Dec 31, 2015

Ok, thank you. Looking back, I noticed certain areas of editing that I had missed or some work that didn't show. In any case, I was pretty confused back then when choosing the correct fonts only knowing the basics of wild words. I had originally owned photoshop for about 2-4 days when only exploring the program and having a small basic knowledge of common things which lead me to deciding to do my first edit. It was a disaster when searching multiple guides and tutorials but having my QCs make suggestions I learned a bit more on positioning text or so. When editing, I saw I had a habit of being stubbornly picky which lead me to make more mistakes and waste time which is something I wish to avoid. I very much appreciate your tips and hope I can improve with perspective later on!

joined Jul 17, 2016

Quite interesting manga. I wanna read more.

joined Jul 24, 2015

Where's the next chapter? I know that its probably don't have a second chapter but I'm still hoping that this one is a series or an additional chapter

joined Dec 4, 2015

This was a great read, too bad it seems to be only a one shot.

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

What????

__atago_kantai_collection_drawn_by_unagimaru__599e7464aad069784080b95374e08f40%20(1)
joined Apr 1, 2014

What?

B25e08d9df956cc70b30a6cce4e9e9cb
joined Aug 27, 2013

Wow. I don't know why, but somehow this manga really got to me.
My interpretation is that Kishi made a deal with someone to stay in the human world during elementary school and if someone falls in love with her during that time, she can stay there.
Yuu's love for her and them being together all the time is what gave her enough strength to stay way past elementary school.
But when she started distancing herself from Yuu, she became too weak to stay in the human world and had to go back to wherever she came from.
And when she turns 18, I guess her "powers" will have matured enough to allow her to go to the human world by herself and stay indefinitely.

I'm not sure what kind of being Kishi is, but honestly I don't think it really matters here.

At least that's how I see it ^^
Anyone know if there will be a sequel to this?

I'd say (as it's already been mentioned here) that the case is much darker here. I think when they turn 18 Kishi will either literally eat Yuu or bring her to Kishi's world like hell or whatever it is. I don't think the ending will be happy...

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I've read this a half dozen times, and I keep thinking there's something complete just underneath the surface. I get the feeling of an allegory; the sense of intimacy, dark secrets, jealousy, and innocence lost could just as easily be applied to, for example, Yuu realizing she's attracted to women. However, it's not clear-cut, that's too broad a meaning for such a targeted story. You could say the offerings of blood are secret trysts (as they so often play that role in vampire stories), and that the darkness Yuu sees is her own unfulfilled and unacceptable desire, but then why must Fushiko leave, and what is the significance of her return? Perhaps her leaving is the loneliness of Yuu's self-realization, too late to save her just-acknowledged love. Then the promised return would a choice, to either refuse and remain "normal" or accept and change into something "different". But I don't like this interpretation, it doesn't fit. It's both too obvious and too ordinary for such a dark and haunting story, one that carries so many hints of death. It feels like there is something more.

Of course, it could simply be exactly what it looks like: a supernatural tale of two young women and their strange connection. I might be uselessly searching for some non-existent metaphor, led on by the otherworldly mood. Or it could be a metaphor for something specific to the author's experience that isn't meant to be understood by readers, expect at a murky distance. Whatever it is, this sure is a compelling story.

last edited at Aug 26, 2016 1:25AM

joined Nov 9, 2016

That's it?! Oh come on. Where's the second part? And it was getting good too. :(

Good
joined Jun 14, 2016

I love works by this author and this piece was just so creative with the supernatural angle it was going for?! Strange and metaphorical but lovely all the same.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Wow. I don't know why, but somehow this manga really got to me.
My interpretation is that Kishi made a deal with someone to stay in the human world during elementary school and if someone falls in love with her during that time, she can stay there.
Yuu's love for her and them being together all the time is what gave her enough strength to stay way past elementary school.
But when she started distancing herself from Yuu, she became too weak to stay in the human world and had to go back to wherever she came from.
And when she turns 18, I guess her "powers" will have matured enough to allow her to go to the human world by herself and stay indefinitely.

I'm not sure what kind of being Kishi is, but honestly I don't think it really matters here.

At least that's how I see it ^^
Anyone know if there will be a sequel to this?

I'd say (as it's already been mentioned here) that the case is much darker here. I think when they turn 18 Kishi will either literally eat Yuu or bring her to Kishi's world like hell or whatever it is. I don't think the ending will be happy...

I really hope it's the first theory

Lomographic Colored Past
74ec91ae-b46c-44be-9b5e-7c40e1fb423d
joined Dec 29, 2016

Blood compact........... Done!

Getting hitched at 18.................. Loading!

joined May 27, 2017

I really need sequel, where Kishi turns 18 and back to Yū :'

last edited at Jul 16, 2017 1:15PM

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

...Is that it?

bubbleteabird
F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

Removing the supernatural elements from story, I can infer that this story about a quiet girl who was supposed to move with her family to another region. However, because she makes a new friend, she convinces her parents to let her stay until middle school. Due to familial circumstances, she cannot see her friend again because her parents will not allow it. So she decides to wait until she is 18 (the legal age of adulthood) and reunite with Yuu. The last line "And then, the two of us will become one" implies marriage.

The black mist around Kishi can represent loneliness. When Yuu touches Kishi, the black mist disappears, and Kishi is immediately enamored with Yuu; she is happy that someone has reached out to her. Perhaps she never had a friend before, or could never reach out to other people, so the act of someone reaching out to her was a significant symbol of intimacy. Kishi therefore treats Yuu as someone special by engaging in special acts that reenact that moment of intimacy. Towards the end of the one-shot, because she has to move away, Kishi's shadows cannot be removed and only fester because she cannot change her parents' mind. Therefore, she tells Yuu that she will come back when she is 18; she will legally become an adult and will no longer have to obey her parents's commands.

However, this relationship is unhealthy because both sides are dependent of the other. Kishi does not want try to talk to the other classmates; it is only after feeling rejected by Yuu, that she does talk with them. However, she is sad; she sneaks glances towards Yuu because she wishes that she could be with her. She also expresses happiness when she muses how Yuu will be lonely without her.
And Yuu's feelings are possessive. She is jealous when Kishi talks with other people. She discourages her friends from talking to Kishi by saying that she is shy. She is happy when she thinks Kishi is ill because of her.

last edited at Jul 8, 2019 10:47PM

joined Mar 5, 2019

It's 2020 now, do we know if this ever got a sequel?

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

It's 2020 now, do we know if this ever got a sequel?

It seems very designed/intended as a one-shot.

joined May 12, 2020

I dont need assumptions i need more

To reply you must either login or sign up.