Forum › Stretch discussion

joined Sep 23, 2014

shou is a great manga his stories are on top, usually his style involves music and classical, but the stories are amazing.

Akashic Records
Gray.garden.full.1907943.160.213
joined Sep 24, 2013

Some people here are waiting for something to happen that they know will never happen

I want to believe ! I mean, a manga that makes me so excited with just a trip and blush... This is not normal! and omg Ran is so cute...

I agree but for one thing, this is totally normal!

joined Oct 4, 2014

Some people here are waiting for something to happen that they know will never happen

I want to believe ! I mean, a manga that makes me so excited with just a trip and blush... This is not normal! and omg Ran is so cute...

I agree but for one thing, this is totally normal!

In my opinion, it will be an everlasting friendship between roommates

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

As long as they remain roommates till the end without Keiko ending up with some boyfriend, I will be happy =D

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Ok, bait's eaten, fan girling mode's gradually turning off. Time for some thoughts about the chapter.
It seems Ran has to work on the 1st of January? Yuck... Or is she going to visit her family? It's also so cute how she called Keiko "Paisen" instead of "Senpai".
And I think Keiko thanked her for everything quite literally: for this family atmosphere they have when living together. You know, things like eating soba and going to the new year bell ringing fest together.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Looking at it again, I'm reminded of something that occurred to me when first reading this chapter. Isn't the soba-on-New-Year's thing a metaphor for how each of them relates to their families? Ran is clearly fine with hers and has a tradition of doing things like soba on New Year's, where Keiko is just the opposite. I think the "just a little something" is Ran being happy that she's giving that family warmth to Keiko, who she clearly cares deeply about and wants to make happy. Even if they're not girlfriends (yet!), in some small way they're family.

joined Mar 23, 2013

Looking at it again, I'm reminded of something that occurred to me when first reading this chapter. Isn't the soba-on-New-Year's thing a metaphor for how each of them relates to their families? Ran is clearly fine with hers and has a tradition of doing things like soba on New Year's, where Keiko is just the opposite. I think the "just a little something" is Ran being happy that she's giving that family warmth to Keiko, who she clearly cares deeply about and wants to make happy. Even if they're not girlfriends (yet!), in some small way they're family.

It could be, but I think it's more likely that they just don't eat it for that occasion.
Every family has THE dish they always do for thanksgiving,christmas, etc...

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It could be, but I think it's more likely that they just don't eat it for that occasion.
Every family has THE dish they always do for thanksgiving,christmas, etc...

Remember that Keiko was never close with her family, and doesn't seem to have any good memories at all of her parents.

From my admittedly brief reading on the subject, it appears New Year's soba is a common thing for families. Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge of Japanese culture could weigh in?

joined Mar 23, 2013

Remember that Keiko was never close with her family, and doesn't seem to have any good memories at all of her parents.

This true, but in my experience even those families which kids don't have fond memories of still do the whole holiday thing. But maybe that is the case, I mean I don't think we've seen her dad even mentioned once. Too busy doing that salaryman thing I guess.

From my admittedly brief reading on the subject, it appears New Year's soba is a common thing for families. Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge of Japanese culture could weigh in?

It's quite possible, but Isn't really relevant to all families.

Thanksgiving all about the turkey for millions upon millions of Canadians/Americans. But in my family this is not the case.
Reason is pretty simple, why would you eat inferior dry meat that you need a bucket full of gravy to even eat the thing?

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

It's quite possible, but Isn't really relevant to all families.

Thanksgiving all about the turkey for millions upon millions of Canadians/Americans. But in my family this is not the case.
Reason is pretty simple, why would you eat inferior dry meat that you need a bucket full of gravy to even eat the thing?

"New Year's Foods" are an entire cuisine of their own in Japan. I am not joking.

As for the turkey... One side of my family is a traditional turkey type, the other side is salmon. I didn't really think about it as a kid, but it's because my family on that side is a bit native (Lummi). I'll take salmon over turkey any day, even well made turkey that isn't dry.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Even if they're not girlfriends (yet!), in some small way they're family.

This. And I think that's what Saki's actually jealous of - to find oneself a family, people with whom one feels happy to live together. There's a good reason why the word "family" in Japanese has a character "house, home" in it after all.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Two things about that. One, we're talking about a culture that invests a great deal more into New Year's traditions than much of the west does into things like Christmas dinner. Indeed, it's a culture for which tradition is a very immediate and important thing.

The other is that I see the soba being used as a metaphor, or at least an element Japanese readers would recognize and say "hey, I get an idea of what's being suggested here" without being too obvious. So it doesn't matter if everyone does it, it matters if it's something often associated with family on New Year's.

joined Mar 23, 2013

Two things about that. One, we're talking about a culture that invests a great deal more into New Year's traditions than much of the west does into things like Christmas dinner. Indeed, it's a culture for which tradition is a very immediate and important thing.

The other is that I see the soba being used as a metaphor, or at least an element Japanese readers would recognize and say "hey, I get an idea of what's being suggested here" without being too obvious. So it doesn't matter if everyone does it, it matters if it's something often associated with family on New Year's.

I was already almost convinced right after I did my first post ( I don't edit my posts even when I feel they're dumb seconds after I post it ) but now I'm 100% convinced that you're right. My other post was just me subtly ranting about how it's dumb to eat food that you dislike just because it's tradition. I do know that being a picky eater is somewhat more frown upon over there.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I was already almost convinced right after I did my first post ( I don't edit my posts even when I feel they're dumb seconds after I post it ) but now I'm 100% convinced that you're right. My other post was just me subtly ranting about how it's dumb to eat food that you dislike just because it's tradition. I do know that being a picky eater is somewhat more frown upon over there.

I'm reminded of George Carlin's famed line, "Fussy eater" is a euphemism for "big pain in the ass"

Bayonettamachinekill
joined Apr 8, 2013

For those waiting for yuri let's face it the author is just fooling with us, this is nothing but a manga about streches and a big friendship with straight drama xD.

Kat%202
joined Mar 6, 2012

For those waiting for yuri let's face it the author is just fooling with us, this is nothing but a manga about streches and a big friendship with straight drama xD.

lalalalala i don't want to hear it !!!!

The yuri parts will be here soon ...right? RIGHT!?

X
joined Jan 6, 2014

I thought she will face-hello-earth in the first second of the year at page 6 and I laughed, because I used to the way Shou always makes Ran do stupid actin, but this was an unnormal one, what a sweet scene.

joined Mar 23, 2013

I'm reminded of George Carlin's famed line, "Fussy eater" is a euphemism for "big pain in the ass"

Well I eat pretty much anything, but I'll be damned if I can't choose what I eat in my own household just because other people say you need to eat X at Y time. My home, my rules.

joined Nov 30, 2011

I don't necessarily need this to be yuri. I'd be fine if they just stayed close friends. Yuri is never unwelcome though.

Hear hear or is it here here?? Anyhoo, agreed. But I'll be damned if I'm not seeing some flirtations going on.....*mutters friggen yuri goggles *mutters

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

I don't necessarily need this to be yuri. I'd be fine if they just stayed close friends. Yuri is never unwelcome though.

bah, Shou-san just needs to finish this series in all of its subtext glory then release one or two after stories/epilogues or doujinshis where the actual status of their relationship is made clear. this would allow him not to alienate either his Yuri or non-yuri audience.

on a different note, now that Shou-san is repairing his reputation, I really freakin' really wish he'd revisit Prism and continue that story. I keep wondering, what is stopping/would stop him from doing so?

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

At this point wouldn't it seem a bit of a genre change if they became a couple? At first that's what I wanted, but as I read on it just seemed less and less likely and I'd rather preserve the essence of the story rather than just fanservice. Then again, maybe I still wouldn't mind the yuri...

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

At this point wouldn't it seem a bit of a genre change if they became a couple? At first that's what I wanted, but as I read on it just seemed less and less likely and I'd rather preserve the essence of the story rather than just fanservice. Then again, maybe I still wouldn't mind the yuri...

This is exactly how I feel about it now. It's weird because that was what I was going for the first few chapters, but now, I just feel like this is just one of the most comfortable and carefree relationship between two really close roommates/friends. I almost just want it to stay like this forever. But at the same time, I'm not saying no to yuri. Haha.

Hear hear or is it here here??

It's "hear, hear", if you're referring to the expression.

last edited at Oct 6, 2014 7:19PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Glad to here it. :-P

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

wah? on this i respecfully disagree. IMHO, it would make more sense if they became a couple and I do not see it as a change in genre. i say this because what we have been seeing for 26 chapters is a slow progression of their friendship from simple roommates to something more akin to family. that said, it is not a far stretch (pun intended) if their friendship progresses to the romantic. why? because we have been presented with coy glances, blushing, cutsie offhand comments... i argue that these examples are the foundation of a relationship. nothing fast. nothing topsy-turvy. just a nice slow progression. that said, if they never become a couple, then that is also ok because they would have a very strong, loving, non-romantic bond which is equally as valid as if they were a couple.

joined Nov 30, 2011

Glad to here it. :-P

Dammit! >l-P

To reply you must either login or sign up.