Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Kuroe is basically you rn in-universe ain't she? :P

It’s not the character I want to ask, “How dumb can you get?”

Overly quick on the draw as usual with this series, hm Blastaar? You don't know what tmnr is going for yet, so it's a bit early to throw around insults.

last edited at Apr 10, 2020 9:03AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

sadhomu82 posted:

And write what to dynasty staff? Why didn't they bother writing us?

Yes.

19243370_189319978264256_7134889760776107126_o
joined Dec 26, 2014

sadhomu82 posted:

And write what to dynasty staff? Why didn't they bother writing us?

Yes.

How about no

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Kuroe is basically you rn in-universe ain't she? :P

It’s not the character I want to ask, “How dumb can you get?”

Overly quick on the draw as usual with this series, hm Blastaar? You don't know what tmnr is going for yet, so it's a bit early to throw around insults.

Look, it started out as Uta's story. It was Uta's story through much of the series so far. The big emotional reversal for the character was her decision to give up her love for Kaoru and move on with her life by going to live with her (hostile and unsympathetic) parents.

Now we get the (obviously necessary for the plot) re-reversal of her feelings. What's the narrative or emotional rationale for that re-reversal?

Because she felt like it.

If you think it's "insulting" to critique a story's construction and execution, well, we disagree.

Thumbs
joined Apr 16, 2012

I thank everyone that is translating it, and I hope u guys can make lose ties up.
Me like most other readers here we appreciate that u guys doing this for us, so I we can enjoy those delicious Yuri Mangas!

On topic.
Really Uta, really somehow it's not a big surprise 2 me, trough I wondering wat ritchi is doing on his "business trip"
I hope that we wil find out soon

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Look, it started out as Uta's story. It was Uta's story through much of the series so far. The big emotional reversal for the character was her decision to give up her love for Kaoru and move on with her life by going to live with her (hostile and unsympathetic) parents.

Now we get the (obviously necessary for the plot) re-reversal of her feelings. What's the narrative or emotional rationale for that re-reversal?

If you think it's "insulting" to critique a story's construction and execution, well, we disagree.

But context matters. It is not like Uta reverted to her previous state of mind from before she confessed. She no longer is feeling trapped or pressured by the situation. She realized that giving up on her love is simply not a conscious action she can take. Rather she accepted that these feelings she build up over 16 years are part of her identity. What previously trapped her and made her feel miserable is now simply a part of her life that she doesn't fear anymore.

Months have passed in the story and clearly Uta has not taken any action to run back to Kaoru. Her decision to keep those feelings dear are clearly not supposed to be a reversal. She bawled her eyes out to Kuro, kept trying to force herself to forget and it didn't work. So the solution was not to reject, but to embrace it. If it had continued on like this without any major incident, Uta would have become independent and maybe eventually have those feelings fade away naturally, but with a positive nostalgic outlook on them.

Kaoru's (literal) call for help is the reason this equlibirum she has achieved will be tested again. It's like spiling a single drop of oil into a water tank. The re-reversal you speak of is entirely kick-started by Kaoru's initiative, not Uta's. But the decision of whether the water will be cleansed again is Uta's.

What I consider insulting is your implication that either the author or the work are inherently dumb just because you don't see the point. There is nothing constructive about that.

last edited at Apr 10, 2020 10:04AM

joined Jan 17, 2020

She really is that outlet she has used since high-school. It's unhealthy. Now i just fear that another mistake will be commited in this horribly unstable situation.

If the mistake is them finally doing it, I can live with that.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

But context matters. It is not like Uta reverted to her previous state of mind from before she confessed. She no longer is feeling trapped or pressured by the situation. She realized that giving up on her love is simply not a conscious action she can take. Rather she accepted that these feelings she build up over 16 years are part of her identity. What previously trapped her and made her feel miserable is now simply a part of her life that she doesn't fear anymore.

Months have passed in the story and clearly Uta has not taken any action to run back to Kaoru. Her decision to keep those feelings dear are clearly not supposed to be a reversal. She bawled her eyes out to Kuro, kept trying to force herself to forget and it didn't work. So the solution was not to reject, but to embrace it. If it had continued on like this without any major incident, Uta would have become independent and maybe eventually have those feelings fade away naturally, but with a positive nostalgic outlook on them.

Kaoru's (literal) call for help is the reason this equlibirum she has achieved will be tested again. It's like spiling a single drop of oil into a water tank. The re-reversal you speak of is entirely kick-started Kaoru's initiative, not Uta's. But the decision of whether the water will be cleansed again is Uta's.

Another classic "reader re-writes the story to fill in what the author couldn't be bothered to depict in the actual text." Uta has been missing from the story entirely for many months with no attention given to her character whatsoever. Then we get a handful of panels that undo the entire character arc of Uta so far.

If the author had been working as hard as the readers do to rehabilitate the deficiencies of what's actually on the page, it would be a much better story.

last edited at Apr 10, 2020 10:00AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

She really is that outlet she has used since high-school. It's unhealthy. Now i just fear that another mistake will be commited in this horribly unstable situation.

If the mistake is them finally doing it, I can live with that.

How delightfully base of you.

Another classic "reader re-writes the story to fill in what the author couldn't be bothered to depict in the actual text." Uta has been missing from the story entirely for many months with no attention given to her character whatsoever. Then we get a handful of panels that undo the entire character arc of Uta so far.

If the author had been working as hard as the readers do to rehabilitate the deficiencies of what's actually on the page, it would be a much better story.

Really Blastaar, you are getting a bit too self-satisfied with your "criticism" now. You are handwaving away what contradicts your narrative the same way people who force their preferences into a work do. I hold your opinion to a much higher standard than most people's on this site, so this makes me sad.

I believe my conclusions are entirely derived from the work itself, whether my connections are accurate or entirely fitting will be revealed as the story continues. I didn't make this stuff up to fix the story, it's what I see happening in the story.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Kaoru's (literal) call for help is the reason this equlibirum she has achieved will be tested again. It's like spiling a single drop of oil into a water tank. The re-reversal you speak of is entirely kick-started Kaoru's initiative, not Uta's. But the decision of whether the water will be cleansed again is Uta's

I agree with this. Also this is one of the stages someone goes through during the moving on phase.
In the end, Kaoru was a big part of Uta's life, and she can still keep the memories and care about Kaoru without being in love with her.
Moving on doesn't mean she has to hate Kaoru or stop caring about her.

Kaoru is in the center of all the problems in this story. Her weakness and refusal to comfort and learn the truth drugs both her self in, as well as others. (i don't mean it in an accusing way)

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I believe my conclusions are entirely derived from the work itself, whether my connections are accurate or entirely fitting will be revealed as the story continues. I didn't make this stuff up to fix the story, it's what I see happening in the story.

I understand that, and I'm not accusing you of making up things out of whole cloth or indulging in head-canon (which is indeed very common on this site).

What I am saying is what I've been saying all along--it's quite possible, with enough effort, for committed readers of this series to patch in all the inferences that the story doesn't actually give us (for no discernible reason), to resolve or push into the background the contradictions and inconsistencies of plot or characterization, to explain away why the story raises issues or themes that it then ignores for long periods of time.

I know you think that I have some particular animus against this series, and that I take delight in nitpicking or creating problems with it that don't actually exist--I don't. As I've said a number of times, I had high hopes for this series, and there are still some aspects of storytelling that it does fairly well, although intermittently.

But I do think that there's a problem when a series consistently generates long detailed arguments among readers about such fundamental matters as:

• What actually happened?
  • Who is the protagonist?
  • Why did this cliffhanger never get resolved, or only get mentioned again in passing much later?
  • What is the purpose of this subplot and these secondary characters?
  • Why is information withheld that would clarify our understanding of the basic situation?

Readers have labored mightily to resolve these questions, and for those who have done so to their own satisfaction, more power to them. I personally don't think there's any way to do it that makes this into a well-crafted piece of storytelling. And given the past execution of the story, I see no reason to believe that there will be some future development or authorial master plan that will make all the problematic pieces fall neatly into place. As I've said, if it happens, I will be glad to say so.

joined Jun 12, 2015

Back to square one.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Oh, Uta...
There you go again...

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Important note

There is much to say, but I would prefer to keep most of it private. First off, to any average user please refrain from continuing to engage in discussing the scanlation status of My Unrequited Love. This is an official matter that should be handled between Dynasty and Chaosteam. Thank you for your understanding.

Secondly, we do operate on an unspoken rule that if a group is working on any given series, that their scanlation will be given priority for hosting. This is important to us not just because it makes the most sense from a utilitarian perspective, but also because it helps to keep some parts of the community organised and consistent. We had no ill intentions toward Chaosteam with the latest uploads, it was a simple misunderstanding and mistake.

Lastly, we do intend to make it right however we can. I'll be writing the team on Facebook(?) since that seems to be the best option.

Take care everyone!!

last edited at Apr 10, 2020 12:16PM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Alrighty then... ignoring the scanlation war for now.

So back to my tri-monthly dive into this ocean of suffering. Honestly, waiting for 3 chapters at a time might be the only way to really feel like the pace is picking up. It actually feels very well paced when you read several chapters in a row. I always suspected that this manga is more of a "volume by volume" read anyway.

So we got Risako being jealous, which obviously was a subtle implication once again that she is actually gay for Kaoru. Kaoru thought Risako was jealous of her for having had Reiichi look after her in the past, but actually she is jealous of Reiichi for being able to be close to Kaoru so long.

As everyone already knew, Reiichi guilt tripped himself into marrying Kaoru, but he legitmately cares about her of course. He was the only one who actually came for her, when everyone else was fine being brushed off without reply (even Risako). I wonder what Uta was doing during that "empty" period?

Kaoru's extreme loneliness combined with trauma... it really is more like a mental illness at this point. She had a freaking panic attack for crying out loud. Reiichi is an idiot for not noticing anything. Uta is an idiot for doing all of this nonsense to get over her love and then just decides "I'll just keep loving her from a distance lol". That's the same mistake Risako made and it never helps either of them.

It's good that Uta at least had enough instinct to take the situation seriously unlike her dumb brother. It is quite telling that Kaoru would call her instead of Reiichi in the first place. She really is that outlet she has used since high-school. It's unhealthy. Now i just fear that another mistake will be commited in this horribly unstable situation.

My stomach hurts already....

I agree with with your assessment, except I don't think Risako is in love with Kaoru I can see where that is coming from, but from a story stand point I don't think that's the case. This is supossedly a romance story, and no matter how messy a romance gets it suppose to have a happy ending. Reiichi is a good guy, if a bit dence he deserves a happy ending as well. So when the dust settles and Kaoru ends up with Uta, Risako is his happy endings. He obviously loves her but gave her up on her to be by Kaoru's side.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I agree with with your assessment, except I don't think Risako is in love with Kaoru I can see where that is coming from, but from a story stand point I don't think that's the case. This is supossedly a romance story, and no matter how messy a romance gets it suppose to have a happy ending. Reiichi is a good guy, if a bit dence he deserves a happy ending as well. So when the dust settles and Kaoru ends up with Uta, Risako is his happy endings. He obviously loves her but gave her up on her to be by Kaoru's side.

Who decided that romance is supposed to have a happy ending? That has never been a requirement, especially not paired with the Drama tag.
And what you are really saying here is a bit callous... Risako is Reiichi's happy ending? But she doesn't love him. You are taking away her agency for an imaginary happy end.

What exactly is your reasoning here for all these details between Risako and Kaoru if it is not love? Kaoru herself said it... Risako was jealous and she said she never understood love, but Kaoru basically told her that it is love, thinking that Risako was falling for Reiichi, but it was so clearly directed at Kaoru it's almost hilarious.
If Risako is not in love with Kaoru(or at least has a feeling comparitive in intensity to that for her) then why did she only feel happy around Kaoru? Why did she wrap Reiichi around her finger just to spare Kaoru the pain of confessing and being half-heartedly strung along? Why did she get jealous of Reiichi for being able to be close to Kaoru?

Even if your reply to this is "friendship", I will accept that as a possibility. Just don't impose some unjustified crush on Reiichi on her please.

last edited at Apr 10, 2020 12:52PM

whitenight2013
Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

Considering all the trouble Uta coming home caused, I think the fact that her parents still openly ignore her angers me more than anything else.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Risako being in love with Reiichi is absolutely baseless. In fact, the evidence shows the opposite. She wasn't interested in him, but when Kaoru kept pushing to confess she started dating him. Even after dating him, she still didn't look like she cared.
Reiichi always liked her more than Kaoru (it is heavily implied he was consciously avoiding Kaoru confessing to him), so why would she give up on dating him to let him date Kaoru?

Also it makes more sense from a story theme pov, since all of the characters here want someone they can't have. It's not just Uta with Kaoru.

Considering all the trouble Uta coming home caused, I think the fact that her parents still openly ignore her angers me more than anything else.

Ikr. It's really frustrating to say the least.

last edited at Apr 10, 2020 1:52PM

joined Jul 26, 2019

It's finally their reunion, the turning point in history.
Each of them lived far from the other and could definitely feel their respective loneliness...
Kaoru didn't automatically fall in love with uta, but seeing her again as a flash, as her saviour will, may cause a click.
For uta, who admits that she's still in love, this will further strengthen her feeling that kaoru needs her and encourage her to try again, not immediately but after things have calmed down.
The next chapters are going to be really interesting!

joined Apr 10, 2020

is this series going to continue to be releasing updates? I see it is now licensed so I don’t know what that means, if they’re going to stop uploading translated updates or not.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

is this series going to continue to be releasing updates? I see it is now licensed so I don’t know what that means, if they’re going to stop uploading translated updates or not.

It's been some times already that it get licensied so I doubt it will change anything. As far as i'm concerned we're up to date with the raws so it's a question of how quick it can get translated.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

It's not Uta's job to fix Kaoru's messy life.

joined Jun 25, 2017

I really hope Kaoru is ready to let go of Reichi. I think their relationship was never really meant to be. And I think Kaoru had true feelings of happiness when Uta was with them, not when Reichi and her were alone. I believe Uta's love is true. And I believe Kaoru knows deep inside that Reichi's aren't, and she may just be comfortable with the thought of him. But Uta... UTA was never just comfort. UTA is natural, and together they both come together naturally. I really do hope that Kaoru can grow and one day, hopefully this year! Might return Uta's feelings, because THEY both deserve true happiness.

To reply you must either login or sign up.