Forum › New Game discussion

joined Mar 15, 2015

Anyway, the whole dodge ball project has been going downhill since they make Hajime the director (althought it's funny that iirc in the anime, Kou said she will leave the company if Hajime would become her superior. Which more or less happen in a different order and manner here) without any prior experience and without really helping her. Especially for the art contest which was the biggest shitshow. Honestly, everything scream failure from miles. It would be a miracle if the game work better than the dinosaur one.

The same exchange happened in the manga, with Yun agreeing, Rin silently concurring, and Aoba trying to be polite about sharing the same opinion as the others. I don't think any of them were imagining a scenario like this, though, especially since Ko didn't get the idea to leave Eagle Jump until some time during Peco's development.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

especially since Ko didn't get the idea to leave Eagle Jump until some time during Peco's development.

I think Ko start to get the idea after she lost the art contest for Peco.I think she know she had to change somehow and end up thinking she need a change of air but didn't know where.

Rin silently concurring

My headcanon is that Rin thought of Kou all day and doesn't care much of what happen here. Of course it's probably not true but i like to believe that.

joined May 23, 2015

The prevailing theory is that Kou's decision to leave was made after the promotional artwork incident during development of PECO. Since one of the major reasons she gave for leaving was that the company was kind of using her, relying too heavily on her for everything instead of letting other people grow.

Hi moguTL, Just asking Is the next chapter worst chapter in the entire series you talked about? I'm just asking because it seem to be focus on Hotaru

No, it's the chapter after that, a 20-page confusing mess of a chapter that has more plot lines than it has pages. I had to read it like three times to even figure out what was even going on in it. But at the same time, it's such a train wreck of a chapter that it's kind of fascinating.

joined Mar 15, 2015

The prevailing theory is that Kou's decision to leave was made after the promotional artwork incident during development of PECO. Since one of the major reasons she gave for leaving was that the company was kind of using her, relying too heavily on her for everything instead of letting other people grow.

Hence why I said "some time in Peco's development." The incident was almost certainly what gave her the idea, although I think she must have made up her mind at some point between then and her conversation with Yamato in Chapter 61.

Incidentally, I'm curious about something- do Hajime and Hotaru qualify for "The Scrappy" status in TV Tropes parlance? They seem to be disliked, at least as of the most recently uploaded chapters, but it's hard to tell whether a character is outright hated or merely divisive merely by reading discussion forums, and I'd like to be sure which they qualify for before I edit the YMMV page for New Game.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I used to love Hajime, specially around Yuun but as of late I just want to quickly forget this whole arc

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Incidentally, I'm curious about something- do Hajime and Hotaru qualify for "The Scrappy" status in TV Tropes parlance? They seem to be disliked, at least as of the most recently uploaded chapters, but it's hard to tell whether a character is outright hated or merely divisive merely by reading discussion forums, and I'd like to be sure which they qualify for before I edit the YMMV page for New Game.

I guess that’s sometimes hard to say because naming a character “The Scrappy” entails summarizing what another bunch of people appear to feel. At times that’s obvious, but sometimes it’s just that characters are not especially beloved or are seen as extraneous and unnecessary but aren’t necessarily widely despised.

My sense is that the latter is the case here—relatively few people have strong feelings about the characters, and for those that do those feelings are neutral or negative.

But my main point is that’s only one person’s impression, and The Scrappy is a title bestowed by the vox populi.

last edited at Feb 10, 2020 9:55PM

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

I like Hajime. She's just way over her head and out of her own comfort zone that she's struggling a lot.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I guess that’s sometimes hard to say because naming a character “The Scrappy” entails summarizing what another bunch of people appear to feel. At times that’s obvious, but sometimes it’s just that characters are not especially beloved or are seen as extraneous and unnecessary but aren’t necessarily widely despised.

My sense is that the latter is the case here—relatively few people have strong feelings about the characters, and for those that do those feelings are neutral or negative.

But my main point is that’s only one person’s impression, and The Scrappy is a title bestowed by the vox populi.

That's essentially why I'm asking about it, rather than going ahead and adding Hajime and/or Hotaru myself. Personally, Hajime's one of my least favorite characters, but I've been hesitant to conclude that others feel the same way, and still am. At this point, while I did notice that a lot of the comments toward the two are negative, there doesn't seem to be enough of a consensus toward disliking the character to warrant Scrappy status.

last edited at Feb 14, 2020 4:30PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

FWIW I have no strong feelings about this matter whatsoever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

joined Mar 15, 2015

I love how there are still dumb arguments here about trying to justify plot holes in an industry story written by a guy who has basically run out of experience.

It's still better than people who contemptuously dismiss people discussing the story as a few people here have done. One example is the person at the top of the page who claims that Tsubame, an "experienced programmer,"(in actuality, a talented newbie who's more experienced than Nene but less experienced than Umiko) "forgot" to test her code- more accurately, she did a half-hearted job, partly due to overconfidence-fueled carelessness and partly due to rushing. In that case, if she was convinced she wouldn't make a mistake and had a single-minded focus on getting done ASAP, it's only natural that she'd prioritize speed over quality.

To get things in a more positive direction, I personally liked this chapter, as it has a nice discussion of what it means to draw for someone else's approval, and shows that Catherine's other employees haven't given up on designing the King's Hand enemy just yet.

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Has Hotaru landed herself a French waifu?

joined Mar 15, 2015

Has Hotaru landed herself a French waifu?

Maybe, but I doubt that her would be sisters-in-law, Christina and Catherine, would be at all happy about it.

By the way, it's astounding how large the age gaps between siblings can be in this series. Not only is Yun 21 while her twin siblings are 5-6 at the start of the story, but Christina and Catherine are at least in their late twenties or early thirties, while their little sister Sophie is in grade school (probably why Ko assumed she's Catherine's daughter). For reference, I'm two years older than my younger brother, and I grew up thinking such relatively narrow age gaps between siblings were more common.

joined Dec 3, 2018

more accurately, she did a half-hearted job, partly due to overconfidence-fueled carelessness and partly due to rushing. In that case, if she was convinced she wouldn't make a mistake and had a single-minded focus on getting done ASAP, it's only natural that she'd prioritize speed over quality.

There is not a single programmer who has worked in a professional environment for longer than a week who would write a bunch of code and not test it to see if it works before turning it in. That just doesn't happen, it makes no sense what so ever. Its clear you and the author have never done proper coding. There is no speeding through a project long before the deadline and not running it at least once to see if it works. And your "more accurate" is just made up, she isn't over confident at all. She is nervous and trying to impress her boss, and her excuse for not testing it was that she thought if it worked in one instance then it would work in all instances, which is a mistake no programming student after their first semester would make. And we are to believe that someone who already made at least one game made this stupid mistake? puh-lease... she should have been laughed out of the office and put on coffee duty until her internship was up.

joined May 23, 2015

Look, there's just one more confusing mess of a chapter to go before things start getting back to normal and we can all stop complaining.

joined Mar 15, 2015

Look, there's just one more confusing mess of a chapter to go before things start getting back to normal and we can all stop complaining.

I'm looking forward to the chapter after the next one. Of course, it's worth noting that A)some of the posters were talking about something the incident with Naru that happened late in the second season/the Peco arc, and B)the problem seems to be with said posters attitudes, given their rather condescending replies to my post.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I think it’s hilarious that anyone thinks that real-life coding experience has ever had the slightest relevance to this series.

It’s like paleontologists coming around being know-it-alls about the Flintstones.

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

please, please tell me we're finished with that dumpster fire of an arc

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

please, please tell me we're finished with that dumpster fire of an arc

Judging by the comments, there should just be one more chapter of that dumpsterfire

joined Dec 3, 2018

I think it’s hilarious that anyone thinks that real-life coding experience has ever had the slightest relevance to this series.

When it's used to inject drama into a mostly fluffy series I think it's important how believable it is. That coupled with Kou just dropping out and moving to the otherside of the planet just because the company didn't have confidence in a brand new employee to carry the art department for a brand new franchise was the start of the downward slope for the series.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I read the chapter, and it wasn't nearly as confusing as I'd feared. It has two separate but related plotlines and effectively brings the arc to a conclusion. I'm looking forward to seeing where things go from here.

joined Jan 7, 2020

Doesn't Kou coming back to save the day like that cheapen Aoba's "arc" in the first half of the chapter (and those before)? She seemed to be stepping up to the task only to end up still being saved.

YuriIsLife1998
Screen%20shot%202020-03-21%20at%203.08.23%20pm
joined Apr 25, 2019

How many chapters left before Aoba become main character again? And why do this chapter feel like Kou just come and said “It’s fine now. Why? Because I’m here”?

joined Feb 23, 2016

Wooohoo! She’s back!

joined May 20, 2013

I haven't been following this series, but felt like responding to this particular message:

There is not a single programmer who has worked in a professional environment for longer than a week who would write a bunch of code and not test it to see if it works before turning it in.

Is the source of your statements work experience? If it is, I'd like to work where you do. I find it very dangerous that some people really believe what you wrote is the universal truth.

That just doesn't happen, it makes no sense what so ever. Its clear you and the author have never done proper coding. There is no speeding through a project long before the deadline and not running it at least once to see if it works.

Once you witness it in practice, it makes sense, even if it doesn't make it any better. As an example, when in the development process people later manually test the integrated features and report the bugs, resulting in separate tasks for the developers, irresponsible programmers may feel inclined to just pass on what they wrote, without running it even once, being all confident in their abilities. This lets them very quickly finish their tasks, and "in the worst case" they get another, about a bug. Then they finish fixing only that bug, and wait for the next one to be discovered, while making good progress on other tasks. If the progress is not properly assessed and the supervisors don't see the relationship between the initial task and the endless fixes, people can get away with such an approach, or may not even realize how inefficient they do their job. The next step is to imagine what happens if the manual testing doesn't cover the feature at all, for one reason or another...

Quality control on all levels is still a massive issue for a lot of reasons, one being that writing the sufficient automated tests, despite all the available tools and libraries, tends to consume more resources than the features' development itself, and it's hard to prove how much work doesn't have to be done later thanks to them. Especially to people with little idea about software development.

Again, this isn't about the series; I'll yet have to eventually see how it unfolded in the story. Also, I'd rather not get into how to avoid these things. That would fill books and it's a constant battle anyway...

last edited at Mar 13, 2020 3:32AM

joined Dec 18, 2018

Doesn't Kou coming back to save the day like that cheapen Aoba's "arc" in the first half of the chapter (and those before)? She seemed to be stepping up to the task only to end up still being saved.

Depends on how the story from this point deals with it. Not all character development follows complete success, dealing with how she "failed" could be interesting to see as well. Perhaps Hifumi could do some comforting...

To reply you must either login or sign up.