Forum › August Monster discussion

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Well, color me surprised, a well written story by Mira?

Miya doesn't know love. She doesn't know what love actually is. She cares for Kondou but not in the same way (for once that's actually a valid statement...most of the time that "I love you, but not the way you do" is completely misused to mean something else), and she's a very kind-hearted person.

Truth is, she never loved Kondou. The "love" that exploded that mira-sensei here talks about isn't love in a romantic sense...it's closest translation in language is admiration. Miya admired Kondou, but she didn't love her. That's why love built from admiration means nothing if there aren't feeling there sovereign of the admiration.

Easiest part to spot this is where they are together yet she felt lonely, then uncomfortable when too near with her.

Seems more like she simply admired her (well, maybe more like loved her at a platonic level?). Then ended up confused and rushing into things she did not understand, just to realize it.

last edited at Sep 22, 2014 1:22AM

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

jumping Jesus on a pogo stick! I must say, I have new found admiration for Mira (Peachpulsar).

The question really is did she back out because it was overwhelming, or because she wasn't a lesbian or bi in the first place? The story doesn't make the question clear, although the fact that she kept comparing the older girl to a guy ("boyfriend", looks like a guy, husky voice, sounds like a male singer she likes, etc.) suggests the latter.

In a funny way, it's sort of the opposite of Our Future Plans.

as has been mentioned by others, being a middleschooler I think her immaturity played the biggest role in her backing out, so it's immaterial whether she was overwhelmed or because she was not les/bi because both can fall under the immaturity category. for example:

initialliy, it looks like she has a genuine school girl crush on Kondou-san. so we cannot say she's big/les because it is reasonable to expect a reaction like the one Miya is displaying especially since Kondou-san is doting on her. this goes double since she is young and inexperienced in love.

now if we had to go with one, it could be argued that as the newness/shock of her crush wore off, the situation began to overwhelm Miya (ref: http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/august_monster#16 and the next two pages), and then she was further scared by the fact that Kondou-san was not a guy. this is supported by the comments made that throughout the story where she, Miya, kept trying to compare to Kondou-san to an idealize "boyfriend".

finally, between the dialogue with her friends and the subsequent kisses, those scenes just confirms the "I'm scare, confused, and don't know what to do in this situation" which I am attributing to the fact that she is immature.

welp, that's my take on the story, but all in all, I repeat my earlier statement, I am really impressed with this doujin from Mira. I'm so used to reading smutacular (smutty + spectacular) stories, that I honestly checked to see that it was by Mira/Peachpulsar and not someone else named Mira.

anyhoo, love, peace, and hair grease!

last edited at Sep 22, 2014 9:01AM

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Teenager rushes into a relationship that is "abnormal" to begin with (older/same sex), has second thoughts.

I fail to see how being with an older partner is abnormal.......

joined Jul 8, 2013

Seriously. ANOTHER ONE!? Why the hell are there so many series with these bad/sad endings recently? They've always been around but never in this kind of frequency before. WTF is happening?

joined Apr 15, 2011

Teenager rushes into a relationship that is "abnormal" to begin with (older/same sex), has second thoughts.

I agree. even as a teenager I was always attracted to older women, so I too don't follow this logic.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

It was alright I could live without the ending :(

joined Sep 11, 2014

why do the teacher have to look like a men?.. it's not like yuri at all... and wtf with the ending? TT___TT

It's more realistic than yuri with 2 cutesy girls (though some of those couples exist in real life too). The stereotype of the butch lesbian has to come from somewhere. A boyish appearance is pretty common, and might aid the story in why the main character's first love happened to be a girl. The ending kinda saddened me too; kondou sensei fell in love with a girl that wasn't sure and ended up being the one who got hurt.

joined Apr 1, 2013

THE FEELS!! THE FEELS GUYS!!

Yeah the bad feelings.

joined Nov 20, 2013

Oh, sorry for the wrong info, whoever approved this.

joined Jun 7, 2014

This is actually really brilliant and realistic (because I almost got into the same situation), with Miya, as a teenager, being self-aware and impulsive. It was a really nice doujin- //probably one of the best in the age gap stuff, at least what i've read//. The ending was because, I think, entering that kind of relationship put a strain on Miya, because she wasn't ready, so she felt pressured instead. Scared, too. I don't think she was in love with sensei. I think she was more in love with the idea of her. And Kodou knew, that's why she let her go. Honestly i'd elaborate more but i'm too lazy haha

This may or may not be coming from somewhere haha

last edited at Sep 22, 2014 6:02AM

%d0%a1%d0%bd%d0%b8%d0%bc%d0%be%d0%ba
joined Nov 10, 2013

I feel like the yuri tag should be removed.

joined Mar 12, 2014

Aww this is a bit too much for me :'( Kondou's probably gonna be back being alone again, she's so kind and caring. Miya's still in her curious zone, I understand that but man..the feels..
I can relate myself like Kondou except that i'm femme lol

joined Apr 15, 2011

I agree. even as a teenager I was always attracted to older women, so I too don't follow this logic.

From the straightest definition of "abnormal" it's far from the norm to be in a relationship with someone who's a third of your age older than you.

we're probably going to agree to disagree with one another, but I humbly disagree with you comment on what is the "norm" for this reason: to say that it is unnormal for 20 y.o. to date a 30 y.o. is completely unfounded as it happens all the time. the same thing could be said when people are engaged in arranged marriages (which last i checked still do occur) where the bride is younger than the groom. finally, while it is frowned upon for young teenagers (under 18 e.g. in the US), it is not unheard of. what is ironic is that those same people that frown upon younger kids (17 and under) dating older have no problem when the kid is 18-19 dating older (hypocracy much?). what's even more ironic is that people protest greatly when the younger is a girl and the older is male, but turn many a blind eye when the opposite is true.

Add to that that the age difference is also the difference of the teenage years where you mature the most(YMMV). And a long-lasting relationship would be pretty abnormal.

now I agree with you that it would not be realistic (abnormal is not my word of choice here) for them to stay in a LTR given that Miya is just a teenager, and many teenagers are fickle when it comes to relationships.

That said I admire the protagonist for ending it before anything really painful had time to happen.

why? and who says/how do we know something painful would happen? feel free to blast this statement, but she's a teenager that is "in like" with the idea of having a boyfriend, but is confused and doesn't know what she wants. honestly, I'm shocked the story allowed her infatuation to last as long as it did, but that's another discussion.

anyhoo, love, peace, and hair grease!

last edited at Sep 22, 2014 9:28AM

Gray.garden.full.1907943.160.213
joined Sep 24, 2013

Mira, I like your erotic stuff better >,<

joined May 24, 2014

Yay! they accepted my tomboy tag suggestion!

Dynasty
joined Apr 18, 2013

Well, I think, it could be that main character realized, she is not into girls in general, but she just has crush on the other girl. :D It happened to me too (I was unfortunately the crush :D, the girl said to me, she had feelings for me, buť couldn't imagine life with a woman). It's sad, but not completely unrealistic. But that's just my opinion. Or maybe Miya was just too young to jump into something serious and she will end up with the older girl later. :)

last edited at Sep 23, 2014 2:38AM

Sam1
joined May 11, 2012

I feel like the yuri tag should be removed.

Why? It has two females in love (well, more or less), and they hold hands and kiss, which is something a lot of other "Yuri" manga fail to deliver and nobody would ever think of removing the tag on those.

Tagging it as anything else just because the teacher hasn't got the standard kawaii uguu~ look going seems pretty silly to me.

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

ah i was really apprehensive about this because it didn't have a romance tag, so i was thinking it wouldn't end well.

to be sure this is better than mira's other works, no offense. the others may have been 'sweeter' but they weren't as skillfully constructed as this one.

also: yuri is two women in a relationship it does not have to be two overtly insanely feminine women to be yuri.

and if you have feelings for someone and yet you don't feel like you could be in a relationship with a person of the same sex....? i don't get this reasoning? assuming you are defining feelings as genuine love that shouldn't really be a problem. if you are genuinely in love with someone but don't think you can be with them because they are the same sex, then that is really just your societal training (or we could call it brainwashing) at work. at which point i would say you either have the willpower to be true to yourself, the person loves you enough where they don't give up, or you both cave and the relationship fails :(

with that in mind i think that the relationship in this manga didn't work out because of the age gap. where miya just wasn't mature enough to be in a relationship with kondou. she was playing at being in a relationship and was projecting her expectations onto kondou. and yeah the whole 'boyfriend' aspect played into that, but i have also seen it happen with a lot of age gap het couples (in real life) too.

but oh well, great read! and whoever said SFW doujins get lost in scanlation i say blasphemy! more SFW doujins like this!!!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

ah i was really apprehensive about this because it didn't have a romance tag, so i was thinking it wouldn't end well.

to be sure this is better than mira's other works, no offense. the others may have been 'sweeter' but they weren't as skillfully constructed as this one.

also: yuri is two women in a relationship it does not have to be two overtly insanely feminine women to be yuri.

Truth. If you couldn't do yuri with a tomboy character, then ShizNat would be impossible and no way I'm gonna stand for that!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I don't know for sure what Satus meant, and I don't myself think the tag should be removed, but . . .
I'm thinking Satus meant, not because the tutor looked androgynous, but because the other girl wasn't a lesbian. I mean, you have a story where girl A falls for girl B because of a subjective feeling that girl B is kind of like a cool guy, and then as soon as she kisses her soft lips and realizes in her gut that girl B is . . . a girl, she backs off quickly because it feels wrong. One might argue that there isn't actually a yuri relationship there.

It is a very well done story. My mind respects it while my gut is frustrated and screams at me "To heck with this thoughtful tale, give me the soppy ending!"

last edited at Sep 23, 2014 9:22PM

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

My major problem with this is that really was never a clear indicator of the sensei being a girl and since the conflict with Miya was more about not knowing how to deal with the emotions than the fact she was "dating" a woman made the whole thing fall a little flat.

Still a good read though.

joined Apr 19, 2013

You cannot give what you dont have and you cannot receive what you arent ready for, I guess. I have a good time though

joined May 2, 2014

Ofc she is going to do that. Fuck She is a kid , And that's way I like older girls , but seriously I don't get young adults who date teenagers dating a teenager not a good idea at all is it even legal to do that It's creepy to me tbh they are just kids STOP IT japan !

last edited at Sep 24, 2014 7:28PM

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Ofc she is going to do that. Fuck She is a kid , And that's way I like older girls , but seriously I don't get young adults who date teenagers dating a teenager not a good idea at all is it even legal to do that It's creepy to me tbh they are just kids STOP IT japan !

To be fair, that is far from being exclusive to Japan and whether a relationship works or not it depends on the individuals. My parents had the same 5 year gap and they were married by 25 years.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

A manga following the character that you normally feel like punching in other works huh, interesting i should say, but i still feel like punching that chick

To reply you must either login or sign up.