Forum › H.P. Lovecraft's The Call of Cthulhu discussion

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nah, talking about the actual author of the story you're reading isn't what I'd call off topic.

Nezchan, fair point, but when the people from the team who worked hard to bring this manga to us specifically ask us to talk about the manga itself and not start a debate on issues like real-life racism ― well, actually, I don't know what's your usual take on this, but... my own gut feeling is that it would be good etiquette to honor their wishes. Maybe it's just me...

I'll be honest, there's not too much else that can be discussed here. The art, maybe, but by this time and with all the exposure Lovecraft has had over the past century give or take, most people reading this are gonna be intimately familiar with the mythos and story already. So that leaves the fact that it's unexpected to see it here and the man himself, which I'm sure will pass after a bit.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Spoiler: Some idiot hits Cthulhu with a boat

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

lol nezchan. if you haven't seen the raws, there's some great art comin' up

to others: i see my name in a lot of posts, but i'm gonna bail on this one and let nez handle it. my opinions and desires are my own, not as a person who worked on this comic, just as myself.

last edited at Jan 5, 2020 10:12PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Fairypixie24 posted:

Do you know who runrin is? Redrawer and typesetter. Worked like a mule on this manga (as there was a truckload of redrawing to do) just for you, just so that you (and other people like you) would be able to read and enjoy the story.

Well, runrin asked something from us, in this very page, just a few messages up. This is what she asked:

lets not make this thread about debating Lovecraft's racism.

Now do you feel like a silly little fool?

Except that even Runrin you're putting on pedestal here, had no issue continuing discussing the topic. You had no issue when Nene wrote their small wall of text directly replying to Runrin, which supposedly is going against their wishes, yet only after I disagreed with Nene, you guys started insulting me for supposedly not honoring what Runrin asked for. I'd say insulting other people and trying to police what can and can't be discussed on behalf of Runrin goes against what they wanted more than anything I said. Not to mention moderating isn't your job and trying to argue with actual mod that they aren't doing their job correctly is short of laughable.

last edited at Jan 5, 2020 10:26PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Nezchan, fair point, but when the people from the team who worked hard to bring this manga to us specifically ask us to talk about the manga itself and not start a debate on issues like real-life racism ― well, actually, I don't know what's your usual take on this, but... my own gut feeling is that it would be good etiquette to honor their wishes. Maybe it's just me...

I'll be honest, there's not too much else that can be discussed here.

Oh, oh, as for me, I would LOVE to discuss in depth and detail how this story (and all the other lovecraftian manga by Tanabe Gou) compares to Alan Moore's lovecraftian trilogy of Courtyard/Neonomicon/Providence!

Then again, I'm a total Alan Moore otaku... so perhaps others wouldn't share my enthusiasm? Lol.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

to others: i see my name in a lot of posts, but i'm gonna bail on this one and let nez handle it. my opinions and desires are my own, not as a person who worked on this comic, just as myself.

I'm sorry if we made you feel uncomfortable. That's exactly the opposite of what we were trying to do... at least, those of us who argued that we shouldn't turn this thread into a debate on racism.

I just want you to know that, even if a small vocal minority hates on the works of Lovecraft and on Tanabe's adaptation, the vast majority of the readers here love this manga to bits -- and love you too for all the work you poured on it.

Thanks again to the whole scanlator team! We're not worthy.

joined Jul 23, 2019

I'd like to add this: whatever his beliefs, he kept them private, as something to be meditated upon in solitude or talked about with friends, and never bothered anyone trying to promote them. He never discriminated against any person, never took a public stance in politics or religion, never endorsed a party or a church or a candidate, and I'm more or less certain that his only work where he speaks about contemporary social issues is a short story were he denounces the evils of alcohol and defends the Prohibition Act.

Trying to find coded racist messages in his Cthulhu cycle is a pointless endeavor. Those messages exist only in the eye of the beholder, not in the texts.

I motion that we stop talking about this now. Everything has been said already, no need to go on.

Yeah, what she said.
The moderator may not agree, but in these arguments the opinion of the moderator is not official or different from the opinion of anyone else. Right?

last edited at Jan 18, 2020 7:24PM

Cat
joined Jul 27, 2015

Oh wow, I didn't know CoC has a manga. Didn't expect this in Dynasty either.
Gonna give it a try. Thanks for translating it.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

i worked really hard on this one!

Thanks much! I never thought I'd see some Lovecraft here. Here's to hoping more manga adaptations of literary greats.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

White Rose, Nevri, Nene and BugDevil, drop it already. You wanna relive all that, take it to the Discord or email or somewhere.

I'll be removing the whole derailing mess and posts referring to it. Sorry to anyone else if you had something actually relevant in the same post.

last edited at Jan 6, 2020 11:13AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Lovecraft was a product of the times. Nobody expects authors from back then to be very liberal on their worldviews in many regards. The good thing about his horror works is that they focus on things very unrelated to such topics most of the time.

Actually, Lovecraft rejected his times and was repelled by modernity, instead affecting writing styles and attitudes from a century before. His contemporaries, friends, and even his wife called him out on his racism and antisemitism (she was Jewish and really didn't care for that last point). So if by "product of the times" you mean the 18th century, rather than the early 20th century that he actually lived in, then I'll give you that point.

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Oh, oh, as for me, I would LOVE to discuss in depth and detail how this story (and all the other lovecraftian manga by Tanabe Gou) compares to Alan Moore's lovecraftian trilogy of Courtyard/Neonomicon/Providence!

Yeah we could discuss how Moore is 100 times more controversial that Lovecraft. :(
In his books, the lady MC is shagged by a dagon and then happily gives birth to Cthulhu.

It's like with Tolkien: those guys are darlings of the fan and the media even though they're way out extreme, but Lovecraft is the one who gets the bad rap.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Lovecraft was a product of the times. Nobody expects authors from back then to be very liberal on their worldviews in many regards. The good thing about his horror works is that they focus on things very unrelated to such topics most of the time.

Actually, Lovecraft rejected his times and was repelled by modernity, instead affecting writing styles and attitudes from a century before. His contemporaries, friends, and even his wife called him out on his racism and antisemitism (she was Jewish and really didn't care for that last point). So if by "product of the times" you mean the 18th century, rather than the early 20th century that he actually lived in, then I'll give you that point.

At most you could attribute that to the 19th century, but Lovecraft's rejection of modernity does not pertain to liberal views on racism or anti-semitism as far as I am aware. He hated technological advancement, because it scared him (well what didn't scare this guy?).
And while I do agree that he was an extreme case even among his contemporaries, his racist views were not uncommon in the early 20th century and anti-semitism is one of the most consistent elements of European and American society from the middle ages to the late 20th century.

Though one point that really shows his aggressively xenophobic views is his hatred of the Welsh and the fact that his Welsh blood made him disgusted of himself.

PS: I ask you kindly to take me out of that post Nezchan. I was not part of the argument and if you just shove me in there while ignoring the cause of it all, you are doing nobody favors.

last edited at Jan 6, 2020 12:03PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Yeah we could discuss how Moore is 100 times more controversial that Lovecraft. :(
In his books, the lady MC is shagged by a dagon and then happily gives birth to Cthulhu.

It's like with Tolkien: those guys are darlings of the fan and the media even though they're way out extreme, but Lovecraft is the one who gets the bad rap.

I didn't actually read it, but I recall seeing scans of some parts of that. He really went for the shock sexual side of things, which didn't make me want to rush out and get my own copy.

I've been kind of passively looking for non-Lovecraftian cosmic horror recently. Stuff that doesn't just copy over his mythos with different names, but takes his basic universe view in new directions. You can only see a shoggoth so many times, after all. Stuff like Roadside Picnic and Annhilation both seem to be fresher takes on the core idea.

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

So how long until this somehow drifts onto the topic of Alan Moore's super weird and complicated relationship to lesbianism?

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

I'm kinda trippin at how things kinda came full circle..... you know, the South park take on the kathulu mytho/ my neighbor totoro episode..... Now the calling has become a manga series sings kathulu to the tune of totoro
head explodes
headless body starts clapping

Untitled-1
joined Jan 6, 2020

69th comment. glad you guys enjoy this.

Oh h my g od, cosmic horror on dynasty. Very epic.

joined Jan 12, 2018

Many thanks for the chapter!

btw, I see an Algernon Blackwood quote there. I heartily recommend The Willows by him, which treads similar "dread of something unseen" ground as A Colour Out of Space, but is much better written. I read it recently and it's fantastic.

Oh, nice! You just remind me about upcoming movie with the same name!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Many thanks for the chapter!

btw, I see an Algernon Blackwood quote there. I heartily recommend The Willows by him, which treads similar "dread of something unseen" ground as A Colour Out of Space, but is much better written. I read it recently and it's fantastic.

Oh, nice! You just remind me about upcoming movie with the same name!

"But WHY are the curtains a frightful messenger from unformed realms of infinity beyond all Nature as we know it; from realms whose mere existence stuns the brain and numbs us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes?”

joined Sep 6, 2018

What?

Nyarlathotep! Can’t you hear his calling! His yearning to be awakened?! Ah, the madness, THE MADNESS! Make the whispers STOP!

Oh, wait, this is a yuri website? (Shakes off the jitters) Where’s some fluffy yuri then?

last edited at Jan 12, 2020 10:39AM

joined Jan 12, 2018

"But WHY are the curtains a frightful messenger from unformed realms of infinity beyond all Nature as we know it; from realms whose mere existence stuns the brain and numbs us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes?”

"It all began, old man said, with the meteorite."

A%20%20gallery_compress77
joined Jan 11, 2019

This is very cool.. been a huge fan of Lovecraft..

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

sorry for the long wait for chapter 2... ;;
i am working on way too many series at once...

8a9
joined Feb 7, 2018

pretty cool to see some good ol' lovecraft amongst all the yuri goodness

To reply you must either login or sign up.