Forum › Useless Princesses discussion

joined Nov 17, 2019

Ooo~ this is painful ಠωಠ

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Author's Twitter

Link?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-Ja68uU8AAcp7l?format=jpg&name=medium

I asked for the author's twitter page, but thank you lots anyways! That was an amazing picture.

last edited at Jan 12, 2020 2:15PM

joined Apr 20, 2013

wooooooow

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

This manga mostly leaves me with anger, because it's dumb and totally unrealistic piece. Just please, Nanaki, don't make mistake and go for her. She's a way better catch than Kanade.

I was expecting you to make a comment, and, as expected, and just like with your previous posts on this forum, it annoyingly goes for the ship the story doesn't build up to. However, this time, it's much more tolerable, since we got Izumi's point of view.

Now I can only hope Nanaki rejects Izumi without having to use the "but we're both girls" card, as that would only result in Izumi further bottling her feelings up the next time she falls in love, and nobody wants that. Plus, Nanaki is in love with Kanade, so there's that, too.

I think that's the first time i see you posting something serious AND related to the manga.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

Dang, Izumi just became a really relatable and sympathetic antagonist. I imagine her desperate confession here will help Nanaki realize her own feelings for Kanade, and I hope Izumi will be rejected in a way that allows her to now overcome her fears and pursue love in the future.

That's exactly my thoughts.

joined Oct 22, 2018

This manga mostly leaves me with anger, because it's dumb and totally unrealistic piece. Just please, Nanaki, don't make mistake and go for her. She's a way better catch than Kanade.

I was expecting you to make a comment, and, as expected, and just like with your previous posts on this forum, it annoyingly goes for the ship the story doesn't build up to. However, this time, it's much more tolerable, since we got Izumi's point of view.

Now I can only hope Nanaki rejects Izumi without having to use the "but we're both girls" card, as that would only result in Izumi further bottling her feelings up the next time she falls in love, and nobody wants that. Plus, Nanaki is in love with Kanade, so there's that, too.

I think that's the first time i see you posting something serious AND related to the manga.

Well, apparently, you either weren't on the YagaKimi thread back when the anime was airing, or you didn't even have a Dynasty Reader account then, or you simply just forgot. I remember at least 3, almost certainly more posts from that time that were both serious AND on-topic.

EDIT:
I'm on mobile, so, until my bro leaves the computer, I won't be able to see the date when you joined, so that's why I put that as a possibility.

last edited at Jan 12, 2020 2:57PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Well, apparently, you either weren't on the YagaKimi thread back when the anime was airing, or you didn't even have a Dynasty Reader account then, or you simply just forgot. I remember at least 3, almost certainly more posts from that time that were both serious AND on-topic.

EDIT:
I'm on mobile, so, until my bro leaves the computer, I won't be able to see the date when you joined, so that's why I put that as a possibility.

I join in June of last year but was reading before. But at the time i wasn't really checking every message.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Nanaki as The Incredible Hulk of Cuteness

That's a title I never thought anyone would use for referring to someone cute but now I'm stuck with a Kawaii Hulk image in my head and I blame you for that

Kawaii Hulk: (gently hands you a spare taco)

joined Oct 22, 2018

Nanaki as The Incredible Hulk of Cuteness

That's a title I never thought anyone would use for referring to someone cute but now I'm stuck with a Kawaii Hulk image in my head and I blame you for that

Kawaii Hulk: (gently hands you a spare taco)

Me (a few days later): gives 6 bags of doritos to Kawaii Hulk

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

One thing that links into the poster issue is that both of the protagonists start the story dedicated to projecting what they think of being a “suitable” self—Nanaki as The Incredible Hulk of Cuteness, Kurokawa as the outsider otaku nobody.

One of the major themes of the story (in the beginning, anyway) is about personal style—including room decor—being about the way the girls want to be perceived rather than who they really are (the truth about which the rest of the story seems to be devoted to discovering).

(I must say that a problem I’ve personally had with the story all along is that I think the at-start Kurokawa and her style is completely adorable, and although her makeovers render her more conventionally “attractive,” the changes seem like a net cuteness loss to me. )

The other thing is that it's not unusual for LGBT people to gravitate towards queer romance in genenral. Yaoi has a lot of tropes and themes that might feel true to life for a young closeted lesbian or bisexual girl, and vice versa, and yaoi has an extra layer of plausible deniability that could help protect her, either from being outed or from realizing her own preferences. (She might know it "feels true", but not know exactly why)

Basically, a straight girl might be into yaoi because the boys are pretty and they empathize with the desires of the protagonists, a gay girl might be into yaoi because the story feels true to their lived experience and they empathise with the emotions of the protagonists.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Author's Twitter

Link?

So my japanese is still pretty basic, but it looks to me like this is a joke about an accidentally suggestive back cover image rather than an actual statement about the characters.

It IS however definitely about Iroha touching Izumi's ass, though, so make what you will of that.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Author's Twitter

Link?

So my japanese is still pretty basic, but it looks to me like this is a joke about an accidentally suggestive back cover image rather than an actual statement about the characters.

It IS however definitely about Iroha touching Izumi's ass, though, so make what you will of that.

Also the entirety of the chin grab kabedon scene, that's kind of indicative of something.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Just my thought but i end up comparing Izumi with Sayaka as the close friend in love with the MC who is in love with another girl. More so after this chapter with the infortunate backstory with a girl in middle school then the fall in love at first sight in highschool. Main difference will be that Sayaka was less evil as a character and know what Touko needed to change when Izumi want Fujishiro to stay the same. Also Sayaka wasn't as possesive as Izumi. That's just my point of view thought. Oh and Iroha remind me of Nene from Citrus with the obsession at shipping the MC with her friend.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

It reminds me more of Between Philia and Eros, actually. The relationships feel pretty similar - not quite the same, but similar. The biggest difference obviously is the main couple not explicitly being into eachother (yet) in this one.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

I actually kind of wish more stories would start off with characters having Izumi's set of circumstances. Having loved and lost(presumably in this case) and then we get to see them find someone else.
Ahem. Oh how I wish some stories would do that.
cough
https://www.amazon.com/Bloom-Into-You-Light-Novel-ebook/dp/B081J7WMVG/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1
but who would ever cover such a story? : O

It's also very possible that a lot of stories do what I suggest and I just haven't come across them or don't remember or they are tagged with things I won't touch.

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

Oh no NO NO
why are you making me feel for Izumi what the fuck?!

9a905fe6a22b0201f7ade2de48a73f8d
joined Jan 22, 2014

Sooo, am I the only one, that wants Izumi to win this love triangle?

It starts annoys me, when the author brings out a new love interest just to pad out the story: because we all know too well, that they have less chance, that a snowball's in hell. I wish the author would do something new, or interesting with it, like, if Izumi would win Nanaki with a gentle but agressive approach, that would be soo much more interesting than to obligatory half-assed rejection story arc.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

No. There was one more person in the previous page too.

Izumi cannot even be considered a love interest, since Nanaki isn't interested in her. And yeah, some stories could actually be more interesting if the "third wheel" actually won, but it really depends on the individual situation.
In here, the pairing Nanaki x Kurokawa is better. At least most people seem to think so.

A good example of that would be wdtfs imo. That was a legit love triangle, and the underdog was way more interesting than the main love interest.

I actually kind of wish more stories would start off with characters having Izumi's set of circumstances. Having loved and lost(presumably in this case) and then we get to see them find someone else.
Ahem. Oh how I wish some stories would do that.
cough
https://www.amazon.com/Bloom-Into-You-Light-Novel-ebook/dp/B081J7WMVG/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1
but who would ever cover such a story? : O

Unpopular opinion: Bloom Into You is overrated.

Anyway, a good (great imo) story that starts off the way you described (but unfortunately is only two chapters) would be "Love prep room" (chapter 1) and "Fever Retreat" (chapter 2) by Nanzaki Iku. After all these years this one is still stuck to me.

last edited at Jan 12, 2020 7:43PM

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

It starts annoys me, when the author brings out a new love interest just to pad out the story: because we all know too well, that they have less chance, that a snowball's in hell. I wish the author would do something new, or interesting with it, like, if Izumi would win Nanaki with a gentle but agressive approach, that would be soo much more interesting than to obligatory half-assed rejection story arc.

Not really. I would have liked it more if Nanaki wasn't already into Kurokawa and vice versa (as is implied)

But yeah I absolutely agree that, while realistic, these kind of love triangle plots always feel unnecessary when there is one character who ends up as the loser who suffers. I hope Izumi can find herself a girlfriend later on ahem Iroha ahem

As much as I enjoyed learning more about Izumi and being able to sympathize with her, I'm kinda getting impatient for more of Kurokawa's side of the story.

last edited at Jan 12, 2020 7:39PM

(I must say that a problem I’ve personally had with the story all along is that I think the at-start Kurokawa and her style is completely adorable, and although her makeovers render her more conventionally “attractive,” the changes seem like a net cuteness loss to me. )

Facts.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Facts.

I agree too. She needs to go back to it again after her character development. When we're done with Izumi.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I don't want Izumi to win because of her possesiveness and her wanting Fujishiro to not change because she is not her ideal princess. I mean Fujishiro just figure her feelings for Kurokawa and you want to throw her into Izumi just because she confess ? Personnally i'm tired of the third character in a love triangle who act bad but it's justified because it had a bad experience so you should feel bad for him/her and pity it. That's why i don't like love triangle (and harem in a extent), the author always make you fel bad for the third wheel.

In here, the pairing Nanaki x Kurokawa is better. At least most people seem to think so.

I mean, isn't that the whole premise of the story ? The relationship between those two ? Izumi coming as a third part was not from start and frankly before this chapter she had not act nicely, she was borderline yandere so it was hard to see their pairing having any good and now she come out of the closet the moment Nanaki figure her feelings. I mean, there is still the possibility Kurokawa reject her but since Nanaki will probably reject softly Izumi, i don't see having another rejection after it.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Just my thought but i end up comparing Izumi with Sayaka as the close friend in love with the MC who is in love with another girl. More so after this chapter with the infortunate backstory with a girl in middle school then the fall in love at first sight in highschool. Main difference will be that Sayaka was less evil as a character and know what Touko needed to change when Izumi want Fujishiro to stay the same. Also Sayaka wasn't as possesive as Izumi. That's just my point of view thought. Oh and Iroha remind me of Nene from Citrus with the obsession at shipping the MC with her friend.

Izumi....isn't evil, though? Like not even a little? The most evil thing she's done is lose her cool and confess when she's afraid of losing the girl she loves. Other than that she's just stayed close, supported her, been nice to everyone, and hoped it wouldn't get to this point.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Izumi....isn't evil, though? Like not even a little? The most evil thing she's done is lose her cool and confess when she's afraid of losing the girl she loves. Other than that she's just stayed close, supported her, been nice to everyone, and hoped it wouldn't get to this point.

Again with my poor choice of words urgh. I don't mean evil as a bad guy more like evil with the vibes she was giving lately before this chapter. She was emitting some stranges vibes with those "friends" shenanigans and such. She is just being nice to peoples when they don't want to change her princess or badmouth her. See that with the ex gyaru friends. Her whole attitude is just about wheter or not people want to change Nanaki as a princess.

joined Jul 26, 2016

I really enjoyed bingeing this one! It's just the right level of cuteness and melodrama.

Izumi's a bro!
She's the only one of the Gyaru Four that didn't bully or badmouth people.
She even made the effort to befriend her crush's crush, compared to Fujishiro being a jealous wreck lately.
Calling her an antagonist, let alone evil, is ridiculous.

The next chapter's gonna be painful, I can tell...

To reply you must either login or sign up.