Forum › Citrus discussion

joined Jul 5, 2014

^ Who cares if it doesn't solve anything. It will knock that bitch down a peg and put her in her place.

People are pretty mad about this current drama (myself included by the way), but, given how this manga has played out so far, the next drama arc is going to be even worse. It just seems to escalate with this manga XD I mean, it's drama after drama after drama.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against drama in the least, it generally serves as a good plot device to bring the two main characters closer. But, when it just hits all of the annoying tropes that everybody kinda hates to see (rape, cheating, that sort of thing), it just gets annoying to read. When I read Citrus, I just get the impression that the author doesn't really have any solid idea of how they want the story to play out. It doesn't seem to have any flow, after one piece of drama ends another just starts up immediately, with very little resolution of the one before it.

This manga should have just ended after the drama with Mei's dad. That should have been the big plot device, as that's technically what was forcing Mei to be the sort of person that she is. There should have been a few chapters after that dealing with the fallout and Mei's changing character, her and Yuzu get together, and the manga would have ended nicely. But no, instead the author decided to drag it out and add useless characters and further drama. A bad move in my opinion.

I predict yandere Yuzu and het tentacle rape next. Either that or it will turn into a love decahedron.

Something like that anyways.

last edited at Aug 16, 2014 6:49PM

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

@AkiraH: (Y)

^I can't imagine Yuzu being a yandere ever.

MinakoReiNanoFate
joined Jan 2, 2014

I knew it, Matsuri was going to blackmail Mei with that pic of them kissing Mei should tell everything to Yuzu.It was good and rather odd chapter.

Ch 11 on page 22. Oh my goshhhh that Harumin!!!

I love you Harumin~~~ <3 XD

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

People take a chill pill. The fact you're pissed off at the end of this chapter is a sign that the manga is good, not bad.

TL;DR You can't just say Drama is successful and good if it illicit an emotion out of you. There's good drama and then there's bad drama , which netizens have been calling it "forced drama" recently. Although this also tricky because it has evolved into an umbrella term for "all things I don't like in a story".

Just gonna quote the tl;dr so as to not hog the comment section.

You raise a valid point but be wary that this is an ongoing story. In the entertainment business it is more than common to build up emotional hatred and discomfort towards a particular character, plot device, etc. and then utilize that to stimulate a better reaction out of the audience later on. Think of it as investing and cashing in, so to speak.

The problem with chapter-by-chapter and episode-by-episode styles of publication is that audiences don't know how to handle it when there hasn't been much clear evidence as to what possibilities the resolution might be.

There have been signs in this manga, and quite frankly based on the reaction feedback and what I see coming I think people will look back at this mini-Matsuri arc and realize this was necessary for later.

Of course Saburouta could totally screw everything up and take a worse path with this and not handle the building of emotion well...I won't discount that. At this stage I just highly doubt it.

TL;DR - Even what can appear to be what you labelled "bad drama" may not necessarily be as such. Don't let your emotions at the end of a chapter dictate your view of it. Just pin it aside until the next chapter and then take it back down to continue where you left off.

last edited at Aug 18, 2014 11:41PM

10698506_356095501219916_3104907167461467085_n
joined Sep 21, 2013

I knew it, Matsuri was going to blackmail Mei with that pic of them kissing Mei should tell everything to Yuzu.It was good and rather odd chapter.

i knew it was comeing aswell mei isnt gona say anything untill after all hell breaks out or yuzu will find out on her own well that usally how it works anyways

and also omg harumine is adorable she has the wierd girl vibe going for her :)

also loved the bus stop scene

last edited at Aug 19, 2014 9:59PM

10698506_356095501219916_3104907167461467085_n
joined Sep 21, 2013

so what do you all think about a harumin x curly haired shot girl ( forgot her name ) ? i think they could make a cute couple aswell

Screenshot_5
joined Aug 20, 2014

this is one amazing manga!

Minayoko
joined Aug 11, 2013

Matsuri starts giving off a really Kaname-like feeling. I can totally picture her admitting her defeat by pointing at Mei and saying "You are the chosen one!"

joined Aug 21, 2014

I'm a horrible person, but I'm low-key hoping that Matsuri's friend is a girl and that it gets even juicier. ;)

1341_yui-final
joined Jul 26, 2014

Wow :O
That... was... intense! I really love this manga so much!!! My feelings are so mixed all the time. First I am so excited about how everything will end up and on the other hand I am afraid I will click on the last side of a chapter and nothing will continue xDD

No seriously, that is such a great work :D

BUt I have one question. Mai says "It is your first time, right?" does that mean she already had her first time? I am confused. She is absolutely not the type of a girl who does these things. And who could have been the person she shared these... sexual actions?

1341_yui-final
joined Jul 26, 2014

... my heart is racing like the moment of my first kiss =._____.=
Is it just me or does artist have the might to influence everything about us? That is surely amazing. You guys are the best. Thanks for this rollercoaster of feelings. You did a great job there and you can be proud about everything you did. The story telling, the drawing style, the moments you have created, just everything!

1341_yui-final
joined Jul 26, 2014

Finally finished the last chapter T__T and my third comment in a row
Now I am absolutely frightend... Please dont tell me Mai will be convinced to do dirty stuff with a man O_O Don't kill it for me! x_X

Still very good though. I can't believe how my feelings go up and down at the moment xD Please go on! You have my support!

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

I am in awe of the statistics: ~143k views, but only ~1500 posts?

given the number of views, I'm shocked so few have commented. interesting.

joined Aug 21, 2014

I'm shocked myself that there isn't much ongoing discussion! It's almost lonely sometimes D;

I re-read some chapters and geeze this manga is one for the masochists. My feels~

joined Jul 5, 2014

Does anyone know when the raws for the next chapter will be out?

joined Aug 1, 2013

I'm shocked myself that there isn't much ongoing discussion! It's almost lonely sometimes D;

I re-read some chapters and geeze this manga is one for the masochists. My feels~

Once people read the newest chapter released, there's usually a pretty big blowup in the discussion. Then a week passes by and people go back under their rock until the next month and a half until the raws are released.
Thus, the cycle continues.

joined Apr 15, 2011

Once people read the newest chapter released, there's usually a pretty big blowup in the discussion. Then a week passes by and people go back under their rock until the next month and a half until the raws are released.
Thus, the cycle continues.

true; however, 143+-thousand comments. even during normal release cycles I could imagine a few dozen/hundred posts. take for example,

"The Feelings We All Must Endure," 37,815 views, 382 comments over 10 chapters, first release on 5/1/13
"Kase-san," 24,745 views, 320 comments over 10 chapters, first release on 6/8/12
"Yurika's Campus Life," 20,735 views, 215 comments over 12 chapters, first release on 11/13/11
"The Secret Recipe," 18,855 views, 235 comments over 18 chapters, first release on 3/7/09
"Riko & Haru & Irukawa Hot Springs," 22,046 views, 229 comments over 15 chapters, first release on 4/17/13
"Stretch," 69,669 views, 762 comments over 26 chapters, first release on 2/28/14
"A Divine Love Alone," 23,210 views, 290 comments over 17 chapters, first release on 10/9/13
"Sakura Trick," 33,851 views, 305 comments over 14 chapters, first release on 7/22/13
"Nekogurui Minako-san," 21,147 views, 364 comments over 39 chapters, first release on 4/10/14
"The Real Her," 26,638 views, 239 comments over 9 chapters, first release on 11/25/12.
"Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni!," 24,970 views, 291 comments over 19 chapters, first release on 10/5/13
"Yuri Mekuru Hibi," 21,444 views, 222 comments over 14 chapters, first release on 5/7/13

and then there is "Citrus," 143,447 views, 1316 comments over 13 chapters, first release on 4/6/13

now I need to note that 1.) i've skewed the view counts because I visited the threads, 2.) above i wrote 143+K comments and that should have been views, and 3.) I really have no life because I took way to much pleasure in crunching these numbers.

back to my point, other than "Stretch" which as you described sees more activity right after a release and in truth may be more active than "Citrus," no other series comes even close to "Citrus" and looking at the timestamps of the posts over the weekend, there was an awful lot of activity in the thread. welp, that could be because people are getting antsy in anticipation of a new chapter. I guess the point I was trying to make was that I was amazed at the interest in particular manga. as I look at the numbers more, Citrus' views/comments ratio is on par with the others. ~1% of views translate into comments (maybe even kinda on the low side).

on that I must apologize for this mini-rant (OK, more like blather). like I said above, I had waaay too much fun number crunching.

last edited at Sep 4, 2014 2:39AM

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if a big part of those views are of people only interested on the internet drama that every new chapter stirs on the comments. If you take notice, most of the "discussion" is a cycle of people complaining about the series and people like me defending it (and usually the same posters)

joined Apr 15, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if a big part of those views are of people only interested on the internet drama that every new chapter stirs on the comments. If you take notice, most of the "discussion" is a cycle of people complaining about the series and people like me defending it (and usually the same posters)

yeah. I never distilled or attempted to distill the numbers to account for complaints vs defenses of person A's position, general purpose comments of approval, mini-flames/rants/what-nots, or unnecessary tangential posts like mine. I was just interested at the sheer volume of both views and comments.

LOL, talk about an exercise in futility :-)

Ghost in the Shell
Gits_avatar_klein
joined Jul 30, 2013

Just as a side note for people in Germany:
I just learned that Tokyopop has licensed the manga and will probably start publishing it starting February next year. If you like it and want to support it (like I will), consider buying it.

joined Aug 21, 2014

Just as a side note for people in Germany:
I just learned that Tokyopop has licensed the manga and will probably start publishing it starting February next year. If you like it and want to support it (like I will), consider buying it.

Sweet~!!! So happy to hear that it's being licensed in more places. I plan to preorder both volume 1 and 2 here in the united states!

I'll probably store the books in an indestructible safe somewhere to prevent others from tampering...

last edited at Sep 5, 2014 2:05AM

I
joined May 21, 2014

What a gloomy series, make it less enjoyable, I don't buy the lovely moment because I know the author would make it angst quick latter, go repetitive until what I don't even know if it's good ending.

last edited at Sep 8, 2014 8:53PM

joined Sep 9, 2014

I want more :D. Just love it when the little sister makes the onee-san can't say anything.

I agree :D

joined Sep 9, 2014

... my heart is racing like the moment of my first kiss =._____.=
Is it just me or does artist have the might to influence everything about us? That is surely amazing. You guys are the best. Thanks for this rollercoaster of feelings. You did a great job there and you can be proud about everything you did. The story telling, the drawing style, the moments you have created, just everything!

When i read some yuri manga, i get very often butterflies in my stomach! Citrus is like destroying my stomach q____q

To reply you must either login or sign up.