Forum › Dynasty Cafe: A Home for Off-Topic Discussion where everyone's welcome! (ღˇ◡ˇ)~♥

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

just read the first two chapters. the art is beautiful. i feel really bad for herta.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I should really go to sleep. Like, when I was checking out the forums, I read this:

Facing each other a step away discussion.

as this:

From each according to their ability, to each according to their needs.

Well, if it's any consolation for myself, at least it was my anarchist side that got out, not some... less desirable one.

joined Oct 22, 2018

I can't believe we all lived to see the day I call my computer a bitch for crashing when I tried to save some video I made. (The 2nd attempt at saving the video is currently at 48%. The 1st attempt went to about 70-ish% before it crashed).

last edited at Aug 20, 2019 10:43AM

joined Oct 22, 2018

UPDATE:

It crashed again at 72%. Guess I'll have to wait until the 27th.

joined May 8, 2017

What kind of computer do you have?

joined Oct 22, 2018

What kind of computer do you have?

The one that I use to make my videos is an about a decade old laptop. Technically, the video is saved on Windown Movie Maker, but where I tried to save it wad Windows Media Player, because that's the only program from which I can upload it to YouTube. I have to wait until the 27th to try saving it again, due to being out of town on the days between today and then.

joined Oct 22, 2018

After a 4 and a half hour drive (curse you, traffing congestion around Tivat and, from the bottom of my heart, FUCK YOU traffing congestion around Budva!), my parents, brother and I finally came to Njivice (the coastal settlement that is one of, if not, the nearest to the Croatian border)!.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Remember the "distracted boyfriend" meme?

This is them now:

Feel old yet?

Another%20profile%20pic
joined May 15, 2019

Remember the "distracted boyfriend" meme?

This is them now:

Feel old yet?

XDDDDD

Another%20profile%20pic
joined May 15, 2019

Is there a way to learn japanese language in just month or the fastest way to learn 'em?

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

ToMboItRaSh posted:

Is there a way to learn japanese language in just month or the fastest way to learn 'em?

Move to japan and use it everyday.

Another%20profile%20pic
joined May 15, 2019

ToMboItRaSh posted:

I'm lacking fund also going to japan without knowing japanese is... @_@

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

ToMboItRaSh posted:

ToMboItRaSh posted:

Well, you asked for fastest way. And that's the point. You're forced to use it everyday, so you will learn it at higher rate. Of course it's not possible or practical for everyone to just move to different country in order to learn different language. Still the same rule apply. Find a native you can talk to and practice and do it everyday. Talk with them only using that language.

Another%20profile%20pic
joined May 15, 2019

ToMboItRaSh posted:

ToMboItRaSh posted:

Well, you asked for fastest way. And that's the point. You're forced to use it everyday, so you will learn it at higher rate. Of course it's not possible or practical for everyone to just move to different country in order to learn different language. Still the same rule apply. Find a native you can talk to and practice and do it everyday. Talk with them only using that language.

Can't argue with that then.

joined May 8, 2017

ToMboItRaSh posted:

Get a brain transplant and replace your brain with that of a Japanese person's. If you survive the operation, then all of your thoughts would be in Japanese and you can speak the language fluently.

last edited at Aug 24, 2019 8:31PM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Business / diplomat courses for basic lingual understanding often are just a few weeks. If you are really determined and spend a good 8 or so hours a day on learning a foreign language, you should get quite far in a month (also, the younger you are, the better ;) ).

No way you'll get to any sort of native speaker level though, especially with reading Japanese. ^^

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

My local community college offered Japanese classes, and I took the first one. I was able to get it covered by financial aid. Unfortunatley I was unable to progress to 2, 3, and 4 for stupid broken body reasons, but they are there for me to take whenever, financial aid and all. The instructor even leads a 2 week trip to Kyoto every summer for J-students.

Perhaps there's something like that available for you? If not, the "Genki" series of books seem to be the standard for those courses, so you can learn on your own. Flash cards help too.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

I started self-studying from scratch with Genki just about a month ago. It's going along fine and I think I'll finish vol. 1 in two or three weeks, but it'll be a few months before I can feel like I have some actual consolidated basics down. I'm in no hurry though.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Something else my instructor recommended is one of those apps that allows you to chit chat with someone who speaks the language you're trying to learn as their native language. I forget the name of the app that she recommended but when I had it at the time it was pretty popular, lots of Japanese folks are trying to learn English the same way so it's not hard to find someone else willing to give it a shot. Hearing the language in "every day" use instead of stiff and formal instruction books or never-a-good-source-anime is refreshing.

joined Oct 22, 2018

I can't imagine myself learning to speak and starting to learn reading Japanese before memorizing the romaji beforehand. I imagine Hirigana and Katakana won't be much of a challenge to learn when speaking, but kanji is gonna be a fucking nightmare. But at least it's kanji, and not Tibetan.

last edited at Aug 25, 2019 4:29PM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Hiragana and katakana were bad for me too because I have memory loss issues, lol. I still struggle with katakana sometimes (seriously, ツ and シ, and ン and ソ can bite my English-speaking hiney) and I only know a few handfuls of kanji. But yes you are right, kanji is the real beast, and as far as I can tell the only way to 'get gud' with kanji is to study study study and write write write.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Hiragana and katakana were bad for me too because I have memory loss issues, lol. I still struggle with katakana sometimes (seriously, ツ and シ, and ン and ソ can bite my English-speaking hiney) and I only know a few handfuls of kanji. But yes you are right, kanji is the real beast, and as far as I can tell the only way to 'get gud' with kanji is to study study study and write write write.

Yeah...
And while we're on the topic of languages, while Japanese and, as I mentioned in the spoiler bars of the previous comments, evenmoreso Tibetan are beasts when it comes to writing and spelling, Georgian is the real beast while speaking and pronouncing. I mean, just look at the latinization of the Georgian word for "you peel us": gvprtskvni.

But I kinda went in the more general "languages" direction, rather than the specific "Japanese language" direction people are on, so it's as good as a time as any for me to drop the former.

last edited at Aug 25, 2019 5:04PM

joined Oct 22, 2018

Damn, I rewatched NativLang's video on writing and spelling Tibetan and 3 videos on writing Japanese and that trying to keep attention to the characters in the above mentiobed scripts and their pronounciations was already enough to give me a headache, and even made me make the occasional overwhelmed and/or panicked sounds that may have briefly given my mom a headache, too.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I had a difficult time adjusting to "stroke order" when I was being diligent about learning to write basic Japanese, because I am old and I do not print--I use cursive, so I'm used to all my letters joining together with loops and whorls. My professor had to ask me to stop using it with my turned in assignments because she had difficulty with it and her TA couldn't read it at all, lol... and I have elegant cursive (if I do say so myself).

joined Oct 22, 2018

and I have elegant cursive

Basically the opposite of my cursive, which is... horrendous... Not the worst, but...

To reply you must either login or sign up.