Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Kase san would be more accurate when it comes to after climax development... And not even in Kase san they ever think about talking with the parents o.o) is all about building confidence, learning about each others and well, just making things work.

Dunno if Lily Love is a good example or not.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Girlf Friends technically did it. After they finally put all that drama aside and got together there was a bit of time devoted to them finding out that sex is a thing and then they had a nice graduation.

Actually I have a weird sense of deja vu now.

joined Nov 5, 2017

Either they get together by the end or the story begins with them already being together and focuses on the aftermath. There is no inbetween for romance stories. Can you imagine such a bold and risky move?

I would say citrus is an example but even after they got together there was drama that got in the middle of their relationship... it still counts I guess? Or at least citrus + is just focusing on the aftermath lol

Sorry, sorry, that was sarcasm. Many stories focus on several if not all stages of a romantic relationship. No need to bring out the Citrus hammer haha
Nezchan seriously created a new rule just so people wouldnt talk about it, so we all walk on thin ice here

Actually I think you were right even if it was sarcasm. Specifically yuri usually tends to make them get together in the first chapters and then explore their relationship or have them be together from the start (Kase, Hana ni Arashi) or making them be together at the end and then end it right there. Finally, there are stories that do show the whole process of falling in love/getting together and then a few chapters about them being an official couple (usualy the last volume), like ygkm or girl friends, although I can't remember when Akko and Mari got together (chapter 27, end of vol 4?)
I understood "inbetween" as showing both the falling in love/getting together and the aftermath of the characters as a couple, as in, actually getting volumes that focus on the couple now that they are official instead of just a few chapters. But I do think it's not done that way for a reason and I understand writers. Not sure if there are examples of this in shoujo though, haven't read enough of it.

My bad for mentioning citrus, I didn't mean to cause shitpost (I'm glad it didn't turn out that way) :v

last edited at Jul 6, 2019 1:44PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Actually I think you were right even if it was sarcasm. Specifically yuri usually tends to make them get together in the first chapters and then explore their relationship or have them be together from the start (Kase, Hana ni Arashi) or making them be together at the end and then end it right there. Finally, there are stories that do show the whole process of falling in love/getting together and then a few chapters about them being an official couple (usualy the last volume), like ygkm or girl friends, although I can't remember when Akko and Mari got together (chapter 27, end of vol 4?)
I understood "inbetween" as showing both the falling in love/getting together and the aftermath of the characters as a couple, as in, actually getting volumes that focus on the couple now that they are official instead of just a few chapters. But I do think it's not done that way for a reason and I understand writers. Not sure if there are examples of this in shoujo though, haven't read enough of it.

Well no, that is not a yuri specific thing. It's the most common thing in all versions of romance, from het to yuri to yaoi. That's just a popular story structure.

The reasons can be varied, but for one it is simply easier to generate drama and interest with the "will they get together?" plotline. Especially when more rivals are involved. It's actually pretty lazy.
Starting out as a couple has its own advantages, for example most of those stories start with them getting together without knowing each other all that well or to try it out. That basically just moves the "get to know each other and develope chemistry" part from the usual build-up to the confession into the timeframe after the relationship begins. But unlike the former they are allowed to go further in some aspects, as they are already a couple. There are also different issues that come up, but essentially it is still the harder version, because you actually need to generate original drama beyond the premise.

If you choose to build up to a confession and then go into the relationship, you simply already reached the peak of the drama and pay-off in the middle of the story, because authors rarely have the creativity to come up with meaningful drama after that first peak. And going from drama to feel good slice-of-life is even more jarring.
But yes, it happens. Takes just more skill.

My bad for mentioning citrus, I didn't mean to cause shitpost (I'm glad it didn't turn out that way) :v

Nezchan forgave you... for now. Always stay on your toes.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

although I can't remember when Akko and Mari got together (chapter 27, end of vol 4?)

You hit the mark.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Well no, that is not a yuri specific thing. It's the most common thing in all versions of romance, from het to yuri to yaoi. That's just a popular story structure.

interestingly, my favourite yaoi (actually one of the very few I like), Mainichi Seitan, does a lot of "what happens after they get together. There are three couples during the series that get together at different times, but the ones who were already dealt with are still shown either working through their own relationship issues or simply being together as couples while the next focus is doing their thing.

Come to think of it, Dykes To Watch Out For was/is like that too, where couples get together, spend time as couples, sometimes break up and new couples form, etc. and it continues being interesting. The big cast and ongoing format helps a lot.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

interestingly, my favourite yaoi (actually one of the very few I like), Mainichi Seitan, does a lot of "what happens after they get together. There are three couples during the series that get together at different times, but the ones who were already dealt with are still shown either working through their own relationship issues or simply being together as couples while the next focus is doing their thing.

Come to think of it, Dykes To Watch Out For was/is like that too, where couples get together, spend time as couples, sometimes break up and new couples form, etc. and it continues being interesting. The big cast and ongoing format helps a lot.

I tend to avoid yaoi, so I have to take your word for it. The little BL I read was of the "will they/won't they?" variety. Or subtext.

That second one sounds more like a long running soap opera format tbh. They do tend to have some fluctuation between couples in those. And when the ratings go down: Boom Sudden break-up.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I tend to avoid yaoi, so I have to take your word for it. The little BL I read was of the "will they/won't they?" variety. Or subtext.

That second one sounds more like a long running soap opera format tbh. They do tend to have some fluctuation between couples in those. And when the ratings go down: Boom Sudden break-up.

Well, Dykes To Watch Out for was an ongoing comic strip in half-page format that ran for about 25 years, so it wasn't reliant on ratings or anything like that. Breakups tended to happen because of relationship issues, so they're generally not so sudden, at least not in the volumes I've read.

That said, it's not necessarily a good analogue to Bloom Into You's denouement phase.

last edited at Jul 6, 2019 4:05PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I think the premises of schoolgirl yuri in particular militate against extensive denouement or follow-on development insofar as it often depicts “first-love” (or “first- real -love,” or “first rebound love,” etc.), so the traditional adult romance “they settled down and lived happily ever after” ending just doesn’t suit the age bracket very well—an ending with the OTP implicitly finding happiness in the foreseeable immediate future seems much more plausible and appropriate.

Next chapter: time-skip 10 years. Touko is a district educational administrator assigned to investigate charges of lesbians sexually abusing students at the high school where Yuu is the beloved “tough-but-fair” PE teacher.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Next chapter: time-skip 10 years. Touko is a district educational administrator assigned to investigate charges of lesbians sexually abusing students at the high school where Yuu is the beloved “tough-but-fair” PE teacher.

Someone please make a doujin of BugDevil's idea.

Also, I'm FINALLY back from my 3-day self-imposed exile!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

You’re quoting me, BV.

I think mistaking one of us for the other might be insulting, but I’m not entirely sure to which one.

Ye
joined Apr 1, 2018

Nakatani you better give sayaka a gf before this ends or so help me-

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Finally someone acknowledged me for my brilliant ideas. Especially that one. You know the one.
...what idea did I have again?

You’re quoting me, BV.

I think mistaking one of us for the other might be insulting, but I’m not entirely sure to which one.

I'm not nearly as green as you. And you are not nearly as smug as me.
I think we could benefit from learning from each other. ┐(´∀`)┌

joined Oct 22, 2018

Well... that's what I get for commenting in half past 10 PM.

I feel like I was either or both half-asleep and focused on reading something about the Napoleonic Wars at the time, so maybe that explains my error. My apologies, Blastaar.

Now, I guess nobody would mind if I wallow in my self-disappointment for the next few hours

last edited at Jul 7, 2019 5:40AM

Folcwine P Pywackett
Folcwine_p_pywackett_signer
joined Mar 6, 2019

Feel your pain and share your feelings for Sayaka, but with only 3 chapters to go, I don't think it's going to happen!
No single is in sight except for Koyomi, and she likes them older. But when Touko and Sayaka go off to the University together, who knows?

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Feel your pain and share your feelings for Sayaka, but with only 3 chapters to go, I don't think it's going to happen!
No single is in sight except for Koyomi, and she likes them older. But when Touko and Sayaka go off to the University together, who knows?

There are spin off light novels about Sayaka and they're hinting at her finally having a lover or something.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Finally someone acknowledged me for my brilliant ideas. Especially that one. You know the one.
...what idea did I have again?

You’re quoting me, BV.

I'm not nearly as green as you. And you are not nearly as smug as me.
I think we could benefit from learning from each other. ┐(´∀`)┌

“Green”?

LesbianPirate
Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

my girl sayaka deserves a happy ending like every other bitch in this manga you better hook her ass up before this series ends

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

my girl sayaka deserves a happy ending like every other bitch in this manga you better hook her ass up before this series ends

It's time for Maki to have a sex change then

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

^Of all possible people, you choose Maki who has no interest in romance whatsoever?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

^Of all possible people, you choose Maki who has no interest in romance whatsoever?

Yeah but everyone else is taken so i take what i can, the other option is Koyomi tho.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Yeah but everyone else is taken so i take what i can, the other option is Koyomi tho.

Not impossible, but, at least from where I stand extremely unlikely. Like - extremely extremely extremely unlikely.

But, hey, stranger things (like the Abbasids and Tang making an alliance right after their massive conflict in Central Asia) have happened.

last edited at Jul 7, 2019 5:06PM

LesbianPirate
Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

sayaka should hook up with that harumin girl from that lemon manga

joined Oct 22, 2018

sayaka should hook up with that harumin girl from that lemon manga

I would normally comment something on that "lemon manga" but I promised Nezchan not to do that for at the very least the rest of July, so I'm just gonna stay put.

last edited at Jul 7, 2019 6:12PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.