Forum › Citrus + discussion

aihara_mei0904
joined Jan 21, 2019

Stop calling mei a bot xD ok i mean she still has some problems with expressing her feelings and they definitely need to talk more with each other but she loves her and yuzu knows that! They just need more time,their relationship is still growing and i think it's beautiful :)

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^
Sorry--we had a very, very long serial laying out the sources of Mei's problems with expressing her feelings--family pressures, self-imposed standards of achievement, fear of social judgment, etc. The only time she could be herself and even begin to express her real feelings was when she was with Yuzu.

So all those problems went away with a wave of the author's magic wand--Grandpa doesn't insist she get married, the school is fine because reasons, Mom and Absent Dad couldn't be more supportive, yadda, yadda, yadda.

So now that all the pressures that tied Mei up in psychological knots throughout the regular series have simply disappeared, how does Mei deal with her new-found freedom and social acceptance?

By going (remaining) semi-catatonic, insisting on a regimen of absolute chastity, and trembling in fear/anxiety at . . . just about anything.

So for me, "Mei-bot" it is until the slightest bit of counter-evidence appears.

joined Jan 19, 2013

Did people not realize that Citrus+ seems to take place between Yuzu asking Mei to marry her and the end of 41 where Mei says she loves Yuzu? Himeko's outfits for the bears indicate this.

Similarly, the date for this chapter and last month's chapter are only two days apart, so Mei is definitely feeling insecure and/or jealous.

Taken into context, looks like Citrus was Yuzu's way to Mei, and Citrus+ thus far seems to be Mei's way to Yuzu.

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

I really dont get the point of continuing the story if nothing significant happens. Yuzu and mei are so boring together.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

LOL, Mei agrees to marry a guy but is miserable because she really loves Yuzu, she gets off the hook for marrying the guy, and now she's miserable trying to figure out if she really loves Yuzu.

last edited at May 18, 2019 7:45PM

joined Feb 21, 2019

I don't need more Mei and Yuzu I wanted a MatsurixHarumin spin off -.-
hopefully we could see them getting together in this sequel.

YESSSSS

matsuri_wins
4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Did people not realize that Citrus+ seems to take place between Yuzu asking Mei to marry her and the end of 41 where Mei says she loves Yuzu? Himeko's outfits for the bears indicate this.

Similarly, the date for this chapter and last month's chapter are only two days apart, so Mei is definitely feeling insecure and/or jealous.

Taken into context, looks like Citrus was Yuzu's way to Mei, and Citrus+ thus far seems to be Mei's way to Yuzu.

Are you trying to tell us that Citrus+ will end with Mei’s love confession to Yuzu? So they will never make out or have sex?

Okay. Dropped. Will keep following this forum to find out when the next HaruMatsu chapter is released, and read only that. Time is money folks.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^ Get with the times, matsuri_wins—these days one character pushes the other down and kisses them in Chapter 1, then 50-odd chapters later confesses their love.

The hundreds of pages in between serve to demonstrate that they’re sincere.

Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

This chapter just took the pointlessness of Citrus+ to a whole new level - and that's saying something. Here's Saburouta destroying her own (albeit already rather unimpressive) legacy.

last edited at May 19, 2019 2:30PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I don't think this is worse than the original Citrus. They're the same. At this point the only way to read it is by seeing every chapter as independent, and not a cohesive story.
We will never see Mei and Yuzu do anything beyond kissing, although the story has gotten even worse at that compared to the beginning.

I only like the art and Harumi, and that's it lol. I actually think if the art wasn't as great, this wouldn't be so successful. But well, the characters independently are not boring too, but together they don't bring anything.

last edited at May 19, 2019 4:53PM

matsuri_wins
joined Feb 18, 2018

^ Get with the times, matsuri_wins—these days one character pushes the other down and kisses them in Chapter 1, then 50-odd chapters later confesses their love.

I think by now we all know Mei is serious lol
The only thing we still don’t know is if she is sane.

I wonder if the Japanese actually prefer this version of Mei and that’s why she was converted from alpha b*tch hiding a soft side to insecure maiden.

You know, kinda like how in Evangelion Western audiences always preferred Asuka over Rei, and the Japanese the opposite.

23131889_285323998648077_5029786755005305904_n
joined Jan 11, 2019

Okay but... I WANT HARUMATSUUUUUUUUUU ;-;

Madeleinedupris
joined Apr 8, 2019

I only like the art and Harumi, and that's it lol. I actually think if the art wasn't as great, this wouldn't be so successful. But well, the characters independently are not boring too, but together they don't bring anything.

Exactly, without the art this is just like any other bland yuri harem out there.

Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

This made me laugh.

When you dislike someone, you forcibly kiss them and cant keep your hands off them.

When you love someone, you go out of your way to avoid any physical (or emotional!) contact with them.

I'm actually wondering whether this is really about the preferences of the Japanese audience like someone above said. They've really got a thing for the passive-aggressive maiden types...

Also second the opinion: Citrus was interesting cuz the chemistry between original Mei and Yuzu. Some char dev and change by Mei was to be expected, but the dynamic has swung too much. Mei used to be the dominant one, but now she is a total softie. I expected them to become equals in the relationship, but no, now Yuzu has all the power while Mei is like a damsel in distress. sigh

This shit actually had a lot of potential at some point... It's sad. Naoko Kodama should have taken over after the ending of the anime or something

joined Feb 18, 2018

This shit actually had a lot of potential at some point... It's sad. Naoko Kodama should have taken over after the ending of the anime or something

Naoko Kodama taking this series over would be a dream come true.

Rsz_file_000
joined May 20, 2019

I seem to recall a time when people criticized Mei for being guilty of sexual assault towards Yuzu, and they were right. Mei was a terrible person with a lot of emotional baggage. The difference now is that Mei has realized she was a terrible person and doesn't want to treat Yuzu so horribly anymore.
But wait... now people are complaining that Mei isn't making sexual advances on Yuzu anymore? WTF do you people want? Do you want Mei to go back to being an emotionally manipulative bitch?
I think a lot of people have forgotten that Yuzu and Mei have been together for just a little over a year. People in real life don't become perfect in that time. Or ever for that matter! Mei still has a lot of room to grow, and that's clearly what Saburouta is trying to do with Citrus+. Remember the way she was smiling during their wedding at the end of Chapter 41? Don't you want to see what happened between the two that made her so happy to be with Yuzu forever?
How about y'all wait for the manga (that literally JUST began) to finish before you trash it?

P.S. NTR is the worst yuri manga in existence and Kodama taking over would've been a loathsome, disgusting shit heap of a decision. Period.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

How about y'all wait for the manga (that literally JUST began) to finish before you trash it?

That’s ridiculous—we’ve had dozens and dozens of chapters, all supposedly devoted to Mei and Yuzu coming to terms with their feelings for each other. (The “assaultive” Mei was gone by the end of Volume 2.)

The two of them were intensely attracted to each other, and Mei’s overriding problem was what seemed like the impossibility of reconciling her feelings toward Yuzu with what she had defined as her duty to her family. The main series ended with that problem disappearing entirely.

Whatever the title given to the different series, the idea that the story of Mei and Yuzu is “just beginning” is preposterous.

last edited at May 20, 2019 2:42PM

Rsz_file_000
joined May 20, 2019

That’s ridiculous—we’ve had dozens and dozens of chapters, all supposedly devoted to Mei and Yuzu coming to terms with their feelings for each other. (The “assaultive” Mei was gone by the end of Volume 2.)

The two of them were intensely attracted to each other, and Mei’s overriding problem was what seemed like the impossibility of reconciling her feelings toward Yuzu with what she had defined as her duty to her family. The main series ended with that problem disappearing entirely.

Whatever the title given to the different series, the idea that the story of Mei and Yuzu is “just beginning” is preposterous.

Apologies for my choice of words. I was referring only to Citrus+, not Citrus as a whole. Still, it might not be as preposterous as you think. When you get down to it, Citrus wasn't solely about Mei and Yuzu's growing relationship. That was PART of it, but it was more about Yuzu trying to set Mei free from a life she thought she had no escape from.

This relationship is basically first love for both of them, but Yuzu develops a better understanding of romance because she actually tried (and probably read a couple romance manga here and there). Mei, on the other hand, spent most of their supposed relationship leading Yuzu on knowing full well she was already enagaged. My belief is that she initially did this to "repay" Yuzu for all the kindness she'd shown her, but along the way, she developed genuine feelings for Yuzu as well, and thus her guilt became overwhelming.

Mei's biggest mistake came when she left Yuzu with only the breakup letter. I believe she did this because she thought such an improper and disrespectful goodbye would cause Yuzu to hate her. Of course, as we know, that didn't happen.

If you look back on most of the scenes between Yuzu and Mei, most of them, with a few exceptions, involved Yuzu throwing herself at Mei and Mei subsequently trying to distance herself. Now that Mei is finally free, she realizes what a terrible girlfriend she had been to Yuzu and doesn't think she deserves her. The way she sees it, everything that happened between them before their "breakup" has been rendered meaningless. But now, thanks to Himeko's advice and Yuzu's reaction at the end of Chapter 6, Saburouta only plans to take their relationship up from here.

Keep in mind, the two are still in high school. They're probably going to wait until after they graduate to actually get married. That's more than two years, plus however many years they decide to wait after that. We don't know how long Saburouta plans Citrus+ to be. It could be shorter or longer than the original Citrus. I say there's still plenty of time for Mei to redeem herself and form a healthy relationship with Yuzu, as long as Saburouta does a good job handling the direction she's taking them now.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This relationship is basically first love for both of them, but Yuzu develops a better understanding of romance because she actually tried (and probably read a couple romance manga here and there). Mei, on the other hand, spent most of their supposed relationship leading Yuzu on knowing full well she was already enagaged. My belief is that she initially did this to "repay" Yuzu for all the kindness she'd shown her, but along the way, she developed genuine feelings for Yuzu as well, and thus her guilt became overwhelming.

OK, I take your point, but I don't really believe Sabu had that arranged-marriage plot in mind all the way through the middle part of the original series. If that were true, sure, maybe then Mei's behavior could be possibly be explained, but a half-decent writer would have at least dropped in some subtle hints that the arranged marriage was a live issue rather than pulling it out of the blue dozens of chapters after the matter had seemed to be laid to rest.

I think Sabu just struggled to develop Mei's character once the initial phase of the series (once Mei and Yuzu admit they like each other and try to find a way forward) was over, and is basically still struggling.

Just in terms of my own readerly interest, I'll take Miss Arrogant Sexy Tsundere over The Trembler with the Teddy Bear any day of the week.

Diesirae
joined Jul 22, 2018

While Mei might've been referring to Himeko hugging her and breathing on her ear when she brought up jealousy to Yuzu, given how the previous chapter ended, I'm starting to wonder if Mei is beginning to realize that she's jealous of how close Yuzu is to Harumin.

Edit: Mei bringing up if she's suitable for Yuzu also ties into this. Maybe Mei's starting to think that Harumin's more compatible with Yuzu, since Harumin was able to help Yuzu when she wasn't.

last edited at May 20, 2019 7:57PM

0dbae31b163ae538beb6a331793cac8117bb9a9c_00
joined Oct 1, 2018

dat credit page on chp 5 tho xD

matsuri_wins
joined Feb 18, 2018

Maybe Mei's starting to think that Harumin's more compatible with Yuzu, since Harumin was able to help Yuzu when she wasn't.

And Mei wouldn't be wrong.

Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

I wish I could be as optimistic about all this as ShoujoCent...

But I really can't. Considering how loose and filler-filled the original Citrus was, there's little reason to assume Citrus+ would suddenly start blowing our minds with brilliantly paced storytelling.

It's true that a year is a short time irl, but storytelling-wise 10 volumes and some odd chapters is a Really Long Time. And in that time we should have got more progress than we have. That's all I'm saying.

In a sense Citrus would have been better off without this sequel, so we could have filled the blanks without Sabu's dreadful pacing. So to answer the question posed above: maybe I really DON'T want to see how Mei and Yuzu ended up married. Or at least I think it would have been better for the series if we didn't get to see it. It's like after we got that emotional rollercoaster over it's followed by this completely inconsequential, well, whatever that this Citrus+ is supposed to be.

Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

If it took 10 volumes to cover one year, just think how long Citrus+ will go on if were gonna go all the way until the marriage, which is probably still a long time away - I'd wager that legalizing gay marriage in Japan will take MANY long years... Hahaha

joined Feb 18, 2018

HaruMatsu WHEN

To reply you must either login or sign up.