Forum › Citrus + discussion

joined Feb 18, 2015

In the long run, this is kind of like the Star Wars Prequels. It doesn't matter how much drama she tries to toss out about Mei and Yuzu, because we already know that there is a marriage in the future, because that flash forward was already done as the last chapter of the original manga. Even if they break up for some reason, it would only be excess drama.

bubbleteabird
F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

^at least the author did not create a jar jar binks character for citrus

joined Feb 21, 2019

HaruMatsu WHEN

WHERE THE F**K IS HARUMATSU?!

matsuri_wins
4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

She did! Her name is Yuzu

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

for those looking to see HaruMatsu, the author already stated on her twitter that the sequel will be focused on Mei and Yuzu relationship only and she's not interested in HaruMatsu :(

[Source]

last edited at May 22, 2019 7:38PM

joined Feb 21, 2019

for those looking to see HaruMatsu, the author already stated on her twitter that the sequel will be focused on Mei and Yuzu relationship only and she's not interested in HaruMatsu :(

[Source]

Damn!! You scared me T_T

joined Feb 18, 2018

I was actually so sad for a moment when I read this ^

joined Apr 25, 2019

Citrus+, Ch 5:
I’m thinking that Mei is feeling her way through her feelings and new-found freedom. Her life was structured with discipline, order and expectations (which included her arraigned marriage) and she was expect to “fall in line” regardless of her own feelings.
But now.... a lot of that has changed and it looks like it isn’t expected of her anymore. And if she thought she couldn’t love Yuzu before, now she knows that she can, which is a new experience for her. And I think she just wants to do it right... or doesn’t know if she’s doing it wrong.
But for now, this makes me think that Mei is doubting herself, which might be a new experience and it scares her. And I can imagine that this might be a rocky road she has to walk on. What will her doubts make her do?? Just how scared is she??
Now I agree that these stories are taking place after the end on the original manga, with a glimpse of things to come. But what I want to see is the story of how Mei’s grandfather will react to all this with her, and how her father has to confront him about having to except all this.

I love how their story is continuing and I’m always looking forward to the next chapter.

Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

Well, she did... Basically every useless character who was introduced just as a plot device after Mei and Yuzu got together for the first time after the class trip.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Citrus+, Ch 5:
But what I want to see is the story of how Mei’s grandfather will react to all this with her, and how her father has to confront him about having to except all this.

Oh, you mean the things that the original series seemed to be building up to and then just did away with in a couple of "yadda yadda yadda--now it's all good" panels?

Yeah, I too wanted to see that series actually deal with the narrative conflicts it set up.

Dark_Tzitzimine
joined Feb 21, 2019

Speaking of HaruMatsu

(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7QxjNCUwAIpIUi?format=jpg&name=orig)

https://twitter.com/_saburouta/status/1131587171469500417

I read the translation. It's about Mei & Yuzu (like always) Matsuri's just talking about them

last edited at May 23, 2019 6:18PM by Nezchan

KingdomofBlue
joined May 23, 2019

Goddd Damnn it. Meiii is so cutee!! and so is Yuzu.
I just can't understand the hate. Have been stalking Dynasty for a year and finally make an account just to depend Mei =)))
Btw Citrus fanfic is also great !!!

last edited at May 23, 2019 5:05PM

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Goddd Damnn it. Meiii is so cutee!! and so is Yuzu.
I just can't understand the hate. Have been stalking Dynasty for a year and finally make an account just to depend Mei =)))
Btw Citrus fanfic is also great !!!

1. Yes, they are cute.
  2. So far, most of the "hate" you see here are actually valid critiques of the Citrus and Citrus+ stories. Very few, AFAIK, are considered visceral nonsensical hate. Personally, I don't hate Citrus at all. I don't consider it 'trash' (the word used by Zeria and others to describe both the anime and the manga). As an Asian pretty much influenced by the melodrama of Mexicanovelas or telenovelas--which thrive on surprise plots which happen to be annoying plot holes (yeaaahhh Maria La Del Barrio and all that stuff) and characters who appear out of nowhere--I love it for the joy of the ride and its positive ending. Well, defending Mei, that'd be easy if SU threw us fans some bone to keep us mentally occupied--maybe a backstory of Mei's condition why she's like that instead of simply saying she had a duty et cetera 2x. Maybe, an undiagnosed ASD or childhood trauma--kinda like what Nakatani-sensei did with Touko Nanami... But there's none of that. And here we are with Citrus+,albeit the fantastic art, with all of us trying to decipher what does Mei's facial expression truly mean. We're not all psychologists, ya know.
  3. Agreed. And so many Citrus fanfics have a better storyline and structure than the original one. Sometimes, what I do think is maybe there are two points: first POINT, creators are unsatisfied with how things are in both Citrus and Citrus+ they take things in their own hands and resolve issues in the story (i.e Mei's Meibotism). Second POINT is the indirect intention of keeping Citrus relevant. I've visited AO3 and other fanfic sites and am pleasantly surprised just how many fanfictions are there with the Citrus girls as the main characters.

last edited at May 27, 2019 9:13AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well, defending Mei, that'd be easy if SU threw us fans some bone to keep us mentally occupied--maybe a backstory of Mei's condition why she's like that instead of simply saying she had a duty et cetera 2x.

This is a great point. There’s so much backstory and world-building we don’t get in both series that would be easy as pie to do (Mei’s relationship with her father’s side of the family, for instance, or even just more of her interior take on things), while a lot of what we are shown isn’t that essential (Shirapon, for example, who I actually like as a character in isolation, but really is just a digression from the main story).

matsuri_wins
joined Feb 18, 2018

^ And what could possibly be the reason for that? I mean, even if saburouta is completely unable to conjure a backstory for Mei, surely she could just COPY from a myriad other sources (like literally she could copy from Kodama lol). And the readers would probably be more pleased than now.

last edited at May 27, 2019 5:38PM

matsuri_wins
joined Feb 18, 2018

My conspiracy theory reason: saburouta has been trying to branch off to writing about Matsuri and Harumin for eons now, but being forced to keep writing about Yuzu and Mei lol So she is passively aggressively making it uninteresting af so that editors stop annoying her.

Either that or she is like 18 and never had a relationship, so she doesn’t know how to write about one.

Capture
joined Feb 8, 2019

Hahaha this thread is just like an endless source of amusement that just keeps on giving.

I agree 100% percent that both girls are cute but it alone does not carry 70 chapters of manga.

I wonder how old sabu really is? She's apparently pals with Kodama so I guess she cant be too young if we assume theyre about the same age. Kodama has works already dating to the previous decade after all.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Lol. I never thought I'd find a series where the take was, "This author shows flashes of superior talent--if only she'd be more conventional and derivative!"

And it's true--it's not that the story is excessively radical or experimental, it's that, for no discernible reason, we aren't given basic building blocks of plot and character.

I mean, as an almost random example, the scene where grandpa told Mei, "You don't have to marry Sensei McRapey," was perfectly well done.

The scene where he tells her, "The family's counting on you and your uterus," was not great, but OK.

Why we couldn't round things off with, "You're off the het hook, Miss Yuri Queen, and here's why" I'll never know.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Why we couldn't round things off with, "You're off the het hook, Miss Yuri Queen, and here's why" I'll never know.

Because mangaka-san wants to keep us on the edge of keen excitement? And that requires leaving oh-so-slightly ajar some doors that lead to potential trouble?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Because mangaka-san wants to keep us on the edge of keen excitement? And that requires leaving oh-so-slightly ajar some doors that lead to potential trouble?

Except we know it ends in marriage, with grandpa looking on in support (albeit rather grumpily).

Chapters 24-35: Mei & Yuzu are together, but Mei is sad because reasons.
Chapters 36-40: Mei & Yuzu cannot be together because reasons.
Chapter 41: Reasons are no longer reasons because reasons.

I’d ask, “So what might those last reasons be, exactly?” But I know the answer: “Reasons!”

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Excellent summary of plot development!

matsuri_wins
joined Feb 18, 2018

Lol let’s face it folks, if this was a het story Yuzu would be “16 and preggers”

last edited at May 28, 2019 4:48PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

The worst part of this manga is not Mei. It's how them coming out to their family was handled.
Like how in the world their parents were so fine so quick? The mom didn't even seem shocked, and even if she knew, the author didn't even add any clues throughout the story to hint at it.
The grandpa was the worst part. You mean to tell me that he would accept them like that so quick? Someone like him would definitely be the type to denounce Mei of the family. The same man who wanted her to get married to a 30+ yo man when she would be barely an adult.

There was potential for the story to actually have a substance, if Sabu wrote about these instead. Mei's cold character and avoidance to Yuzu would also be justified. Now she just seems like a brat cause everyone around her is so supportive.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

The worst part of this manga is not Mei. It's how them coming out to their family was handled.
Like how in the world their parents were so fine so quick? The mom didn't even seem shocked, and even if she knew, the author didn't even add any clues throughout the story to hint at it.
The grandpa was the worst part. You mean to tell me that he would accept them like that so quick? Someone like him would definitely be the type to denounce Mei of the family. The same man who wanted her to get married to a 30+ yo man when she would be barely an adult.

There was potential for the story to actually have a substance, if Sabu wrote about these instead. Mei's cold character and avoidance to Yuzu would also be justified. Now she just seems like a brat cause everyone around her is so supportive.

Crazy ride's crazy...

To reply you must either login or sign up.