Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

joined Apr 3, 2019

Sumin x Sungji and Seju x Dawon make wdtfs a greatly cringy story.

joined Mar 21, 2017

I still think the authors are trying to milk the series for what it's worth. They call these side stories but they end up feeling more like extra seasons in the main story.

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

So it's better to just put everyone out of their respective miseries and let them get back together. Because Team GJ said this is a story of healing but I haven't seen anyone healing yet, least of all the readers, who are still crazy reactive to any SejuxSumin scenes if the FB group and some others are any indication. It's super interesting, like...chapter full of SungjixSumin? 10 comments....SejuxDowon? same...SejuxSumin? 100+ comments and people literally going nuts writing essays.

It's because the latest chapter also focused about Sumin's taking revenge on Seju to make Seju hate her and give up, and the same topic about "Who's at fault" repeated over again. I guess it will never stop as both Team Black or Team Pink all have their own argument to defend their favs. In short, it is WAR, nothing to feel proud of. Tbh, Seju and Sumin were too toxic to one another, they should have just stayed away from each other's life from now on. And even if Sumin might someday get mature enough, realize her mistakes, apologize to Seju and ask for her forgiveness. It's not like Seju will also stay at same spot to give her another chance. Vice versa. Time passes, things change. We all know that.

The reason some people think Seju and Sumin fit better is because of their strong unbreakable bond that has been built for 17 years, Team Gaji showered us with a bunch of their flashbacks, our points of view would change if they show us more of Sumin x Sungji and Seju x Dowon in the future. I don't know about others but as one member of Team Pink, I really hope Seju would get together with anyone else, but Sumin, as nothing will change even if they got back together, if yes it would be just a little bit. Seju's past and upbringing is awful enough, I hope to see someone protect her, not her to protect or treasure anyone even when she doesn't have enough mental stability and strength to do so. In short, I don't want to see a fake Seju anymore.

This part is where I felt Team Gaji has done it too excessively, overpowering Sumin x Sungji scenes with flashbacks of Sumin x Seu, creating these strong doubts that the former shouldn't be the end game couple.

Blooming Sequence imo has handled it better in terms of the development between the main couple and the second love interest. Just like Seju, Yi-Hwa is another sympathetic character who had caused pain and misery towards her ex in the past. We see just enough scenes of Yi-Hwa and Ha-Young together along with memories of their past. And for a time, there was a suggestion that they should get back together. But ultimately, the main girl Seowoo ended up winning the hearts of the majority readers when she finally got her shit together.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Blooming Sequence imo has handled it better in terms of the development between the main couple and the second love interest. Just like Seju, Yi-Hwa is another sympathetic character who had caused pain and misery towards her ex in the past. We see just enough scenes of Yi-Hwa and Ha-Young together along with memories of their past. And for a time, there was a suggestion that they should get back together. But ultimately, the main girl Seowoo ended up winning the hearts of the majority readers when she finally got her shit together.

This is a good point. I kept getting WDTFS hits when reading Blooming Sequence, but the overall effect was quite different--you got the sense that these characters did have pasts that mattered, and that dealing with them was important for going forward, but ultimately nobody was trapped forever in a Negative Zone because of a past relationship. (I mean, that can be a legitimate story, but it needs to be intentional from the start.)

joined May 6, 2018

My point is more that Team GJ has developed a story that has only 2 types of readers:

1. The ones that want Seju and Sumin to get back together (“meant to be”)

2. The ones that don’t want them to get back together rationally, but anyway go and engage with the story the most when Seju and Sumin are on the same scene together.

In other words Team GJ has created a story where the only thing that matters is Seju and Sumin’s past and present relationship. Nobody cares about sweet Sungji and Dowon because they are simply not made to be interesting enough; instead of spending time making them interesting, Team GJ gives us more Sejumin flashbacks, reinforcing the whole concept.

Well then I'm not belonging to these 2 types above and I'm sure i'm not the only one who take another type which is, Sumin better stay far away from Seju, at least for now until Seju gets healed. By that I mean, I hate to see any scenes that have them together and I don't even like to talk much about that. I wanna focus on Seju's present and future more, but since I notice not many like to discuss about that HERE so I always choose other places (currently mangago and discord). Then in case you wonder why I don't like to see and discuss about Sumin x Seju, it's simply because Sumin can't bring the happiness that Seju needs from the start, she always seems too indecisive to me, she couldn't answer determinedly whether or not she wanted to get married to Seju someday, she couldn't take a first step to ask Seju further about her family issues, help her deal with it and also handle Seju's distorted personality. In other words, Seju was just too much for someone like Sumin, it's not because Sumin is bad or something like that, it's just that Sungji was the person on the same level as her, she fits Sungji a lot better than Seju.

As for Do Won, I don't think she's as pure, innocent, uncomplicated like Sungji. She seems to have a lot of baggage too considering she did run away from Seoul, go back to Jeju island and work at a deserted villa for 3 years. She may look dumb, silly but she did sensitively notice Seju has problems, and try to talk with her about it, which eventually help Seju open up more in return. As of now, Seju also said she isn't very used to things like that, having somebody being that worried for her. Well, I bet someday she would be addicted to it.

As for Sumin x Sungji, I can say their relationship seems clique, boring, uninteresting as compared to Seju x Sumin. But I don't get why some people still think Sumin just chose Sungji in order to kiss the pain she has with Seju away, that her relationship with Sungji seems more safe than with Seju and that Sumin doesn't love Sungji as much as Seju. Well to me, Seju x Sumin is dead for too long, especially in those last chapters of the main story where Sumin was so scared of losing Sungji or causing her more pains. Sometimes I really have to think: "if only she can also treat Seju like that".

1. Sumin burst out in tears over Sungji's departure, wasn't even affected much when Seju gave her a farewell. To her, Sungji matters more.
  2. Sumin didn't even send Seju off and still had a happy Valentine's day with Sungji, whether or not Seju was there, Sumin's all fine.

These small details are enough for me to beg Sumin to not returning to Seju's life ever again, while Seju was suffering too hard of how to live a life without Sumin, yet Sumin on the other hand was doing very fine without her. It's nobody's fault. It's only a difference between "still in love" and "no longer in love". I've never once thought Sumin and Seju were meant to be either, they failed in many things which I don't have much energy left to mention about.

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

I completely agree with everything you say in theory like the poster before me. Again my point is simply that the story is not constructed to make us have anything interesting to say or think about Sungji or Dowon. They are simply not developed enough. Where are the pages and pages of discussion about who they are as characters, analyzing SungjixSumin, blabla.

Well it’s nowhere, and if they are somewhere please point it out because all I have seen is people like “yay Dowon” or “yay Sungji” which is the same as “I approve of this” but not the same as “and it gets me fired up and throwing money at this story”. As an example, Citrus became famous because the relationship between Mei and Yuzu was super interesting, but now that it’s becoming stale you can totally see how the interest has decreased A LOT.

Remove Sejumin from the picture and this story is totally dead. And it doesn’t need to be this way, if they just shift the focus away from Sejumin and make their new partners actual interesting 3D characters rather than plot devices.

joined Apr 25, 2018
  1. Sumin burst out in tears over Sungji's departure, wasn't even affected much when Seju gave her a farewell. To her, Sungji matters more.
  2. Sumin didn't even send Seju off and still had a happy Valentine's day with Sungji, whether or not Seju was there, Sumin's all fine.

These small details are enough for me to beg Sumin to not returning to Seju's life ever again, while Seju was suffering too hard of how to live a life without Sumin, yet Sumin on the other hand was doing very fine without her. It's nobody's fault. It's only a difference between "still in love" and "no longer in love". I've never once thought Sumin and Seju were meant to be either, they failed in many things which I don't have much energy left to mention about.

A+++

Omg, finally! A Seju supporter who uses their brains and sees the story as it actually is and legit cares for her well being!

Seriously, it's been shown so many times that SUMIN NO LONGER LOVES SEJU. As you've pointed out, she was so heartbroken when Sungji left her while she couldn't care less about Seju, making it SO CLEAR that she has moved on and actually found her TRUE LOVE in Sungji. There's no mental gymnastics needed to see that :)

Oh, and disliking Dowon when she's so caring about Seju (I kid you not, she's Sungji 2.0) literally shows how much y'all just want toxicity for the sake of drama lmao.

Anyways, TG knows what she's writing and she knows that SUMIN/SUNGJI and SEJU/DOWON are the perfect matches.

joined Feb 18, 2018

As for Sumin being over Seju: pretty please LOL

When you are over your ex, you don’t stay in the same apartment you shared with her, in the same company where you know she’s gonna show up again sooner or later and that you built together, spending Valentine’s Day baking for your new gf the same strawberry cake you made for your ex before.

You don’t need to trap yourself in a blanket when your ex happens to be sleeping next to you, and you sure as heck would not risk your new relationship to support your ex by “giving in” conveniently to her requests, and finally choosing your new gf because your ex decided to leave on her own.

This is not being over someone, this is the ultimate hung up. Does that mean Sumin doesn’t love Sungji? Of course not, she does love Sungji. But is she crazy hung up on Seju? Hell yeah she is.

joined Apr 25, 2018

As for Sumin being over Seju: pretty please LOL

In your head, she hasn't moved on. But in reality, she already has.

When you are over your ex, you don’t stay in the same apartment you shared with her, in the same company where you know she’s gonna show up again sooner or later and that you built together, spending Valentine’s Day baking for your new gf the same strawberry cake you made for your ex before.

Lol, those things just shows how Seju doesn't affect Sumin anymore, she doesn't feel any pain anymore and Sumin specificaly said that. She herself said she felt indifferent when thinking about Seju.

ALso, it shows how much better and mature Sumin/Sungji is in contrast to Sumin/Seju lol.

You don’t need to trap yourself in a blanket when your ex happens to be sleeping next to you, and you sure as heck would not risk your new relationship to support your ex by “giving in” conveniently to her requests, and finally choosing your new gf because your ex decided to leave on her own.

Sis, Sumin didn't choose Sungji because Seju left lmao. What fucking fanfiction are u reading????? Sumin herself chose Sungji even when Seju was clinging to her for dear life lol. SUMIN EVEN SAID DON'T WAIT FOR ME ANYMORE, SEJU. She left Seju first because she doesnt love her anymore. Sumin didnt even give a rats ass when Seju left, and she continued to cry over Sungji leaving her. And after seeing how much Sumin loves Sungji, that was when Seju decided to leave her lmao. Stop revising history for your own headcanon.

This is not being over someone, this is the ultimate hung up. Does that mean Sumin doesn’t love Sungji? Of course not, she does love Sungji. But is she crazy hung up on Seju? Hell yeah she is.

Hahahahahahahaha. JFC. Sumin literally didnt give a fuck when Seju left her lol. She was so busy mourning over Sungji leaving her. Let it go, mate. Youre just embarrassing yourself continuously.

last edited at May 11, 2019 12:25PM

joined Apr 25, 2018

Anyways, I'm back and Dowon is literally Seju's soulmate. Seju found her own Sungji. Dowon is such a babe and LOOK AT THOSE ARMS! Seju, sweetie, you're one lucky gal.

last edited at May 11, 2019 12:28PM

joined Feb 18, 2018

Yo sunbaenim, sorry but I don’t talk to you on this thread since you are always emotional and disrespectful when you discuss with me at least. Hope that’s ok with you, it’s not the type of discussion I am into. Just FYI because I won’t be replying to you about the actual topic.

last edited at May 11, 2019 12:30PM

joined Apr 25, 2018

Yo sunbaenim, sorry but I don’t talk to you on this thread since you are always emotional and disrespectful when you discuss with me at least. Hope that’s ok with you, it’s not the type of discussion I am into. Just FYI because I won’t be replying to you.

Aww, you cant reply clearly because you have no valid rebuttal lmao. You have no arguments because I stated facts that actually came from the manhwa itself. And I didn't need to make fanfiction in my head to backup my argument because I HAVE ACTUAL RECEIPTS. I won.

Also, calling me emotional is funny af coming from delulu like you. Imagine projecting your biased views so hard in a story, youre not seeing the story anymore for what it clearly tells you. TG has shown multiple times how much Sumin and Seju are never ever meant for each other, get over it.

last edited at May 11, 2019 12:38PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Anyways, TG knows what she's writing and she knows that SUMIN/SUNGJI and SEJU/DOWON are the perfect matches.

I can agree with everything else you've said, although they're still debatable but this one is a stretch to say the least. We don't know Do woon, and we haven't even seen them dating long term. You can't say they're the perfect match.
I also doubt TG have this master plan for them. It really seems like at this point they're just milking this series, like someone here said. The story could have ended in season 1.
Do woon is likable in comparison with Sumin and how she treated Seju? Or the fact that she seems nicer, even though we haven't seen much anyway. Well, that's not enough for me personally to get more invested in their story.

The whole marketing of wdtfs is not reading about a cute healthy relationship. It's to tangle into the more dark ones. Take that away from it and what is there left? Cute relationships? Well there are tons of other mangas that do better job at it, and on top of that the love interests are not even that interesting here. Like Sungji hasn't actually helped Sumin move on. She's just there being cute and hasn't even fought.

I don't disagree that Sumin is over Seju. But it feels more forced that she is over her because she is supposed to end up with Sungji.
It's like the author is saying Sumin and Sungji are meant to be, but their actions (the way they're writing the story) says the opposite.
And even if we ignore that, why still give them more chapters even after season 1 was over? Again, actions speak.louder than words for TG here.
When the extra chapters came out, I was ready to move on and read about Seju with a new girl. But we get their flashbacks again.

last edited at May 11, 2019 12:38PM

joined Feb 18, 2018

**The reason some people think Seju and Sumin fit better is because of their strong unbreakable bond that has been built for 17 years, Team Gaji showered us with a bunch of their flashbacks, our points of view would change if they show us more of Sumin x Sungji and Seju x Dowon

Summary of the problem right there. If even people who badly want the 2 to not be together describe the relationship as “unbreakable bond”, you know Team GJ needs to either embrace the bond or change the focus away from it completely to make the new relationships actually rewarding by themselves, and not rewarding only in the context of Sejumin not being together because “muh toxic” “muh I want Seju to be happy without Sumin” “muh I want Sumin to be happy without Seju”.

Bunch of snowflakes man. This is fiction, they are not real people. This story is a dark romance, not supposed to fulfill your politically correct dreams of everybody happy in the end.

last edited at May 11, 2019 1:06PM

joined Apr 25, 2018

Is this your other accnt too, matsuri???? Lmao.

I can agree with everything else you've said, although they're still debatable but this one is a stretch to say the least. We don't know Do woon, and we haven't even seen them dating long term. You can't say they're the perfect match.

They haven't even dated but they're already showing how complementary they are to each other unlike Sumin/Seju in their early days lol.

I also doubt TG have this master plan for them. It really seems like at this point they're just milking this series, like someone here said. The story could have ended in season 1.

Don't you get tired of the same headcanon you have just because you cant accept the fact hat Sumin and Seju aren't together??

Do woon is likable in comparison with Sumin and how she treated Seju? Or the fact that she seems nicer, even though we haven't seen much anyway. Well, that's not enough for me personally to get more invested in their story.

Okay, I'm gonna throw it back to you: youre already disliking her just because Dowon is gonna end up with Seju and not Sumin.

Like Sungji hasn't actually helped Sumin move on. She's just there being cute and hasn't even fought.

How many times is TG gonna show y'all that Sumin has moved on and loves Sungji and only her before you remove that Sejumin goggles youre wearing??? Sumin didn't give a rats ass about Seju while she cried over Sungji, mate. She even said that she felt indifferent about Seju, meaning she doesnt feel anything for her anymore lol. Now, tell me how is that not moving on???

I don't disagree that Sumin is over Seju. But it feels more forced that she is over her because she is supposed to end up with Sungji.

Oh trust me, there's nothing forced about any of that, youre just in denial.

It's like the author is saying Sumin and Sungji are meant to be, but their actions (the way they're writing the story) says the opposite.

Again, bitterness is blinding you.

And even if we ignore that, why still give them more chapters even after season 1 was over? Again, actions speak.louder than words for TG here.

It's because it's a prologue to SEJU'S STORY ON HOW SHE MOVES ON FROM SUMIN TO DOWON. It's not even about Sumin/Seju, it's about how Seju will.eventually get over Sumin and move on to Dowon.

When the extra chapters came out, I was ready to move on and read about Seju with a new girl. But we get their flashbacks again.

And you actually got it. Whats the problem??

last edited at May 11, 2019 1:01PM

joined Apr 25, 2018

**The reason some people think Seju and Sumin fit better is because of their strong unbreakable bond that has been built for 17 years, Team Gaji showered us with a bunch of their flashbacks, our points of view would change if they show us more of Sumin x Sungji and Seju x Dowon

Summary of the problem right there. If even people who badly want the 2 to not be together describe the relationship as “unbreakable bond”, you know Team GJ needs to either embrace the bond or change the focus away from it completely to make the new relationships actually rewarding by themselves, and not rewarding only in the context of Sejumin not being together because “muh toxic” “muh I want Seju to be happy without Sumin” “muh I want Sumin to be happy without Seju”.

Yeah, they were an unbreakable bond until Sumin actually felll in love with Sungji badly, and chose the woman she now loves while not giving a fuck about Seju even when she left lmao.

last edited at May 11, 2019 1:00PM

joined Apr 25, 2018

Anyways, I can't wait for Seju to move on from Sumin and have a happy ever after with Dowon. The salt from someone is gonna delicious lmao. I mean she's already mad salty with Sumin/Sungji, what more if Seju actually moves on from her toxic love for Sumin lel. It will be grander.

last edited at May 11, 2019 1:05PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

People seem to forget that Sumin cheated on Sungji too. But their relationship is healthy and cute, because Sungji is a doormat who doesn't trigger Sumin enough to let her bad side out and actually gave Sumin a second chance after the cheating.
Well, that's a great way to counter the Seju development.

joined Apr 25, 2018

People seem to forget that Sumin cheated on Sungji too. But their relationship is healthy and cute, because Sungji is a doormat who doesn't trigger Sumin enough to let her bad side out and actually gave Sumin a second chance after the cheating.

Sumin has still lingering feelings for Seju at that time but after that, BOOM, Sumin was like "Bye Seju" and left lmao. Theyre healthy because their personalities actually works and they know how to give and take which are VERY important things in a positive relationship. Sungji is literally th yin to Sumin's yang.Goes to show how incompatible Sejumin is.

Well, that's a great way to counter the Seju development.

???????

last edited at May 11, 2019 1:13PM

joined May 6, 2018

Flashbacks can happen at any time they want since Sumin is also a HUGE part of Seju's past, it's not like she can go to Jeju island and forget all about Sumin in a blink of eye. When she's lonely she will remember those times with Sumin but still the latest flashbacks seem to focus on Seju's point of view more, we've got to see how she also had her own life but was dragged down by Sumin's revenge.

So far we have just seen only 3 chapters about Seju and Do Won, we can't tell if she's really nicer than Sumin or a compatible cute partner of Seju like Sungji to Sumin. I mean, to negate their relationship this soon is just too much. What can you expect to see in Do Won when only 3 chapters have been released? Just like how we didn't know that Sumin was once a soft cutie when was dating Seju until we've got to read Paradise. So what if One is the main story and how would you see Sumin when the ex of the protagonist Seju was introduced that way? Dislike her definitely. We should only judge a person when we have chances to see their personality/attitude from many different angles.

I agree that Sungji wasn't that impressive as a character, but I have to say I love this point because in life there's always things like that. That one person don't have to do much but still naturally, randomly caught someone's heart, while one person sacrificed like their whole life for someone but still got nothing in the end. Simply put, what is yours will forever be yours. I don't see Sumin chose over Sungji because Seju had left either, it was Sumin who chose to leave Seju first, Seju wouldn't even stand a chance to stay near Sumin's house once again if she wasn't harmed by that assassin. Whether or not Seju stays around, Sumin will only choose Sungji.

About Sumin still wander around places that she used to be with Seju like the company or the apartment, well, I can only wonder how on earth she has the face to do that. But isn't it the real art of letting when you live/work in a place full of traces of your ex but still be able to stay all happy with your new girlfriend without even thinking of your ex for a second? It was really much like, you finally feel nothing when you're standing face to face with your ex. Not just trying so hard to avoid them and just the moment you see them, you get broken into pieces once again or have a very hard time to deal with those confusion. Sumin, as sunbaenim said, has now felt too indifferent to Seju, she has moved on with the help of Sungji totally. Why have to be with the person who can't make you become a better person? I also believe, if Sumin can move on, Seju can too, even though her case would be much harder than Sumin's.

last edited at May 11, 2019 1:26PM

joined May 6, 2018

Forgot to say, it once was an unbreakable bond, however it's too broken to go back now. When you got older, there are always some kinds of people whom you suddenly see in your old pictures, forcing you to ask "who is this?"; they are your past, you may or may not forget them, but still you have your own life now. What they're doing at this time, whom they are with, etc. no longer has any impact to your life.

last edited at May 11, 2019 1:28PM

joined Apr 25, 2018

@Taisukeikun

Standing Ovation.

Thank you for being a Seju fan and actually making sense.

joined Dec 9, 2014

About Sumin still wander around places that she used to be with Seju like the company or the apartment, well, I can only wonder how on earth she has the face to do that. But isn't it the real art of letting when you live/work in a place full of traces of your ex but still be able to stay all happy with your new girlfriend without even thinking of your ex for a second? It was really much like, you finally feel nothing when you're standing face to face with your ex.

Maybe after some time. But she was in the company very shortly after all of that, as well as the cheating.
If you have to "face" your ex to prove you're over them, then you're still not. Because that still indicates some type of feeling. Indifference is the opposite of love.

joined May 6, 2018

If you have to "face" your ex to prove you're over them, then you're still not. Because that still indicates some type of feeling. Indifference is the opposite of love.

What's to prove here? I don't see Sumin showing any hints that's she trying to prove something anyway, she only does it because it's what she wants. Didn't you know Sumin took interest in the apartment first before Seju bought it? Didn't you know Sumin worked at Hello Studio first before Seju took over it and became the CEO? Sumin only chose to keep staying/working at the places she wanted to stay before. Again, whether or not Seju will show up leaves no impact to her life/feelings.

last edited at May 11, 2019 1:37PM

matsuri_wins
joined Feb 18, 2018

Y’all are just proving my point no matter if you think Seju and Sumin should be together or not.

The fact we are having this discussion 111 chapters later is proof Team GJ is either telling Sejumin story through twists and turns or they have failed to create a compelling SuminxSungji story, and might be on their way to create an equally lukewarm SejuxDowon story.

When the discussion turns to how complex and interesting Dowon is, and what an interesting couple that grabs your attention they are, let me know. I won’t be waiting.

last edited at May 11, 2019 1:43PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.