Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Also: can we stop using the spoiler marks I wonder? After all One ch 1 is already out so I guess it ok...

joined May 6, 2018

This new character just totally goes out of my expectation, I never thought she could be this soft and I wouldn’t say she reminds me of Sungji or young naive Sumin. I don’t want to compare them since every character all has their distinguishable traits. Although she’s soft and somehow pure, innocent like young Sungji/Sumin but I guess her mental health is much stronger than any of them. Plus, she has that physical strength (carrying heavy stuffs: piece of cake) and attractive appearance that we haven’t seen from any characters throughout the entire story.

The first chapter seems perfectly fine to me, slowburn perhaps, although Seju was annoyed by Dowon’s persistence on giving her food and her carefreeness towards an employer lol, at least she’s not an indifferent idfc-type character who easily left bad impression on readers and most importantly, she’s CUTE!!! She’s out-going, friendly to everyone I guess, and treat people equally without asking for return. These traits are what Sumin didn’t have during the time she spent with Seju, Sumin always has that kind of inferiority complex around Seju, feeling like she’s never enough for Seju or even out of her reach. However Dowon didn’t really consider Seju as her boss, it was like she was either trying very hard to make friend with Seju or lighten Seju’s loneliness when she saw her in her own little world, all genuinely. She didn’t give up even though Seju had given cold shoulder to her few times, I don’t think Sumin would be able to do so if the first time they met Seju was also cold-hearted to her like this. Well even though I don’t want to make comparision here but she looks much hotter Sumin, regarding her body, height, tanned skin and also hairstyle. I guess Team Gaji really spent efforts for this character design and generally Dowon seems like a perfect match for Seju, I’m only talking about appearance here, but maybe she also has an interesting history that may force a friendly person like her to work in an empty villa where she almost has nobody to talk with, hence her emotionless face looked much happier the moment she saw Seju arrive lol. In my opinion, she is running away from something.

last edited at Apr 21, 2019 10:10AM

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

Yeah, this side story is going to be a slow burn. I don't expect Seju to fall madly in love with Dowon overnight no matter how amazing of a character the latter would be. One would probably be the longest of all the side stories, maybe 30 chapters at most and possibly a time skip occurring in the story. There's still plenty of time for those two in getting to know one another better, create memories together and all that. So far, Dowon has left a stronger first impression to me than Sungji and Sumin.

I do hope there will be a plot more than just romance. I highly doubt Seju and Dowon are going to spend the next couple of years like an old married couple in that nearly empty villa, just the two of them sipping tea and watching the sunset together. That's not much of a story to really go on. I like to think Seju being the businesswoman that she is, would take the opportunity to start up the hotel, even though she's probably so freaking loaded that she doesn't need to work for her remaining lifetime. It could be her dream goal all along, creating her own hotel franchise. She could hire Dowon to be the general manager or her secretary since this girl would be the one to give her the push she needed. Then the two of them will face the challenge of trying to make the business bloom from scratch. That's one way the pair will get closer and help Seju realize her self-worth in the end that she isn't worthless.

last edited at Apr 21, 2019 1:06PM

joined Feb 18, 2018

I am also pretty sure Sumin will parachute to the island/hotel at least once lol It’s inevitable and there must be the temptation of them returning together in order for Seju herself to know she chooses Dowon with certainty.

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

Funny, despite everything that happened between Sumin and Seju, I wouldn't mind the idea of those two meeting each other again, that's only if after enough time has passed. Paradise kind of foreshadow this with Sunhwa, a possibility they could see each other as long lost friends without anymore lingering feelings or desire to get back together. It would be a pivotal moment if Seju ends up telling Sumin the same thing said to her in CH86, that she rarely dreams about her and feel indifferent even if she does. Maybe her last line can be something like "I've found the one for me." before she turned round and smile at Won. That's just my imagination, it might not happen that way.

Anyway, one thing that still intrigues me about WDTFS is this dark drama element involving Ahn Chahee's apparent suicide. Saehyun (Seju's brother) suggest there was a possibility of it being a homocide. I remembered reading an earlier discussion, where there's a theory the family could have planned to murder her since she may get a chunk of inheritance if the Chairman married her and passed away. If Seju's mother turn out to be a loving and caring woman, it'll be even more strange the thought she would hanged herself and abandon her child. I feel like this could be made into an epic drama story: Seju finds out the truth behind her mother's death, and goes on a vengeful campaign to take down her scummy brothers.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Funny, despite everything that happened between Sumin and Seju, I wouldn't mind the idea of those two meeting each other again, that's only if after enough time has passed. Paradise kind of foreshadow this with Sunhwa, a possibility they could see each other as long lost friends without anymore lingering feelings or desire to get back together. It would be a pivotal moment if Seju ends up telling Sumin the same thing said to her in CH86, that she rarely dreams about her and feel indifferent even if she does. Maybe her last line can be something like "I've found the one for me." before she turned round and smile at Won. That's just my imagination, it might not happen that way.

I think it’s very possible something like that will happen. The difference between Sumin and Seju is that because of the way Sumin acted, withdrawing her love for years and letting go first, it follows that Sumin left someone who loved her more than she loved back and would not have ever abandoned her. So Sumin actually lost something while Seju didn’t (if that makes sense). That’s the usual paradox of such relationships, and why the person doing the abandoning often feels “uncertain about the decision” more than the abandoned person in the long-term. This is a pattern I have observed both in my personal life and that of my friends.

Anyway, one thing that still intrigues me about WDTFS is this dark drama element involving Ahn Chahee's apparent suicide. Saehyun (Seju's brother) suggest there was a possibility of it being a homocide. I remembered reading an earlier discussion, where there's a theory the family could have planned to murder her since she may get a chunk of inheritance if the Chairman married her and passed away. If Seju's mother turn out to be a loving and caring woman, it'll be even more strange the thought she would hanged herself and abandon her child. I feel like this could be made into an epic drama story: Seju finds out the truth behind her mother's death, and goes on a vengeful campaign to take down her scummy brothers.

I think it’s not only possible her mother was assassinated, but also that the entire situation of Sumin’s parents having an “accident” and the supposed “cheating” (or date rape?) were at least partially orchestrated by Seju’s family. She is a LESBIAN in a wealthy influential family, who spent years having to deflect potential suitors and bringing shame to the family. The sky is the limit in such a context.

joined May 6, 2018

Lol at this point I started to feel envious of Seju if Do Won will really become her girlfriend later on. I mean, she's totally my type lol. Sweet, cute, soft, sincere, tall, sexy, tanned (healthy), handsome, understanding and now even muscular. I bet there are well built abs under her shirt too.

Anyway, I'm really glad there is no Sumin in the first two chapters so far, I'm really tired of flashbacks and hope there won't be more of it. So in the latest chap Seju has finally opened up to Won a little more as expected, a nice progress compared to last chapter where the poor caretaker had to received a cold treatment from her new boss. I'm really amazed at Won's carefreeness, like she always has something that won't disappoint me lmao. She asked to stay over for one night in Seju's room just few hours after they first met hahaha. Then next scene Seju was only staring at her meals and fangirling Won's muscular arms lollll.

I can sense that we're going to see many new sides of Seju from now on, her shaking head after diving in lewd thoughts, her obediently following boring timetable, dining with someone else besides Sumin and her making the first step to approach a stranger are really rare to us readers. More importantly, her giggle after teasing Won, well even though she brushed it off when realizing it wasn't "right" loll. I hope to see Seju speaking out her thoughts and smiling more often. I want to see her shy expression as well loll.

joined Feb 18, 2018

I am also very happy with the direction the story has taken so far. To be honest Team GJ’s competence both in drawing and storytelling (no matter if we necessarily like how they make the characters suffer) is always surprising to me, since I am used to being letdown by authors lol...

I feel Do Won is very non-reactive to Seju while at the same time being consistently kind and doing her own thing, which is the best attitude she could have in order to not spook Seju. She clearly has taken some pick-up lessons on how to deal with extremely hot women full of attitude :P

I must say my ideal outcome for this story would still be that Sumin and Seju get back together once they get over their issues...every time I randomly read a chapter, especially of course Paradise, I have that impression the story won’t make full sense otherwise. But at the same time maybe Team GJ will be able to convince me it’s ok to have “letting go” stories sometimes.

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

Won is certainly a breath of fresh air with her carefreeness, walking into the room at the wrong time while Seju was changing and then casually asking her if she could sleep in her room for one night simply because the heater in her own room wasn't working at the time. The latter is especially unbelievable lol. Her words could easily have been misunderstood from Seju's point of view, probably thinking this girl is trying to get inside her pants so soon after they've met. Good thing she has enough sense to realize how awkward her request sounded.

There's certainly progress between the two after they've spent a few days together. Seju acted cold and distant at first, not really speaking much, leaving so soon after she had her bite, generally preferring to be left alone. Now, she has loosened up a bit, waiting until Won finished her meal, and was willing to go over and confide her with her problem. Perhaps she realized Won isn't a bad person trying to suck up to her like every other bloodsuckers she has met throughout her life, in addition to being bored and lonely since there's hardly anyone around the villa. I like the way she was checking out the muscles on Won's arms and shaking her head afterward like she's horrified at herself for perving over this young caretaker. Can't blame her for that since Won is stunningly attractive.

I think Seju might be going into denial, judging how she quickly switched back to her gloomy expression and walked off after her giggle. It's like she believes this is way too good to be true, the idea she would enjoy a moment of happiness with someone else. Maybe in the next chapter, she would go back to being cold in order to draw the line between them, so she doesn't end up hurting her the same way as she did with Sumin. Obviously, Won being who she is, won't just leave the president be, and they'll come to an understanding.

joined Feb 18, 2018

I know they are supposed to become a couple and all, but so far I don’t see that Won is attracted to Seju lol But again maybe she just has poker face...

It would be good if the story introduces new characters, it would be weird if it’s just the two of them in this villa the entire time.

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

Hard to tell if Won feels any attraction towards Seju. It would be nice if they switch POV over to her instead of Seju in the next chapter, see what she thinks about her boss.

But yeah, having new characters or old ones appearing would spice things up a bit. If there's a previous character that I like to show up in the story, it would probably be Nami lol. She would make things entertaining for sure. I can just imagine her trying to hit on Won the moment she laid eyes on her and annoying Seju whilst doing that.

Still hoping Seju is actually considering running the hotel back up at some point. There's no way she can continue to isolate herself at the villa. She's going to end up losing her mind if she does.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Ha, found the theme song of WDTFS if it was a TV series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmMA52WvveA&list=RDgmMA52WvveA

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

Why am I not surprised. Seju still can't let go of Sumin even though she tried to move on. It's just so tormenting watching her resmincing the past memories and seeing Sumin being cruel towards her, using her whenever she liked. Like come on... Havent this girl suffered more than enough already?

If her loneliness and depression has reached the point that makes her go back to the bad habit of drinking until she lost her sense, then you know it's very bad...

matsuri_wins
joined Feb 18, 2018

Well it’s very realistic. Seju loves Sumin, and Seju is the type to love a single person intensely and forever. The challenge for Dowon here is immense. I feel Dowon is already interested and trying to get closer slowly, which is why she decided to move to the villa for now and subtly getting Seju used to her touch (the move of putting her on her shoulder was smart!). She can probably tell Seju has something heavy on her mind, and maybe they are similar since she said she ran away from mainland. They both have the vibe of people trying to recover from trauma.

As for Sumin, I am not certain she has gotten over Seju. Ch 108 sure put that into question.

I am more tilted to a DowonxSeju ending now because I feel more and more, as their past is shown, that Sumin has a very severe character flaw. She is revengeful which is a form of sadism, and also fails to take responsibility for her own life. But if she is somehow shown to regret her past actions and truly apologizes to Seju (that’s not the same as learning to love again through Sungji), I would be happy if they become friends or go back to being lovers in the end.

last edited at May 9, 2019 2:05PM

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

Sigh I suppose it's to be expected that Seju will struggle the hardest of letting go of the past, considering she spent the last 17 years of her life living and waiting for Sumin only. It's just the flashbacks of Sumin saying these spiteful words to Seju like "I'll continue until you suffer and can't stand it. Until you become like me." irks me and brings me back to a point that I dislike what Sumin did. I mean she tormented Seju for ten years, treating her like some dog over the one mistake and yet she went ahead to repeat the same mistake when she cheated on Sungji. She's just so lucky Sungji is quick to forgive her and grant her another chance. Hopefully, this is the one and only time the memory of Sumin appears in this story.

I'm glad the chapter isn't entirely sad and depressing, mainly because of Won. It was a pretty nice touch of her lending her shoulder for Seju to comfortably rest on. Most importantly, that princess carry at the end has me squealing in delight :)

The way Seju is looking at Won with her longing eyes and her hand reaching out does seem suggestive like she wants to kiss her. Obviously, since Won is such a gentlewoman, I doubt she would take advantage of a drunk lady like a certain bartender could have done in the past. Maybe it's my imagination but it does feel like Seju is becoming more real should I say? Like she doesn't have to act fake as she does with other people and suppressed her miserable feelings when she's with Won. She can just be herself and talk about her problems freely. It makes her look prettier as a result.

Can't wait for the next chapter. Team Brink all the way!

joined Feb 18, 2018

Sigh I suppose it's to be expected that Seju will struggle the hardest of letting go of the past, considering she spent the last 17 years of her life living and waiting for Sumin only. It's just the flashbacks of Sumin saying these spiteful words to Seju like "I'll continue until you suffer and can't stand it. Until you become like me." irks me and brings me back to a point that I dislike what Sumin did. I mean she tormented Seju for ten years, treating her like some dog over the one mistake and yet she went ahead to repeat the same mistake when she cheated on Sungji. She's just so lucky Sungji is quick to forgive her and grant her another chance. Hopefully, this is the one and only time the memory of Sumin appears in this story.

Sumin is blindly adored by many fans of WDTFS who try to rationalize her actions, but it’s getting harder and harder to do it as more of the backstory gets revealed. She is quite sadist in a way that shocks me, it’s very strange and goes beyond a reaction to depression in my opinion. It’s like something that was already there and hatched up when it had the opportunity, because you can see that despite Seju also living a lot of difficult situations, she actually had to “put an effort” into being mean, and every time she failed (like trying to hate Sungji but ending up literally buying cake and becoming surprisingly friendly with her instead). In other words Seju is good-natured despite an initial “bitch shield”, while Sumin is more of a mystery.

Basically in my opinion there is more to Sumin and her resentment towards Seju than meets the eye. If you go back to Paradise there are some hints there of something interesting about her personality: she loves Seju a lot and is very vulnerable around her, but she shows signs of being resistant to this feeling of being vulnerable and maybe a bit resentful of loving Seju so much.

She is always wanting to show that she doesn’t badly want Seju to dominate her sexually, yet that’s exactly what she is into the most. Seju even asks her, why she doesn’t want to admit she likes it, and Sumin says she will take revenge on her for it. I know it’s an innocent exchange between them at the time, but I feel it wasn’t there for no reason and shows some deeper insight into Sumin’s mindset. Many people run away one way or another from those things or people they desire the most, because it makes them feel too vulnerable.

I'm glad the chapter isn't entirely sad and depressing, mainly because of Won. It was a pretty nice touch of her lending her shoulder for Seju to comfortably rest on. Most importantly, that princess carry at the end has me squealing in delight :)

Won is sweet and her design is sexy. But I am still waiting for Team GJ to make her less of “Seju’s potential love interest” and more like a real character. It’s the same problem I have with Sungji.

The way Seju is looking at Won with her longing eyes and her hand reaching out does seem suggestive like she wants to kiss her. Obviously, since Won is such a gentlewoman, I doubt she would take advantage of a drunk lady like a certain bartender could have done in the past. Maybe it's my imagination but it does feel like Seju is becoming more real should I say? Like she doesn't have to act fake as she does with other people and suppressed her miserable feelings when she's with Won. She can just be herself and talk about her problems freely. It makes her look prettier as a result.

I think she is going to learn how to be vulnerable, which is something she never had the chance to be with Sumin, since Sumin is the type of girl that requires coddling (note how Sungji coddles her and not the opposite). Also before she had to deal with her super toxic family and now she doesn’t. Honestly she should never have stayed in Korea, staying because of Sumin was the bad move of a lifetime.

Can't wait for the next chapter. Team Brink all the way!

last edited at May 10, 2019 1:00PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I think the author made a big mistake from the start. They developed so much the whole Seju x Sumin, they got to a point of no returning. And I'm really not a fan of Sumin alone as a character, but her story with Seju is very unique.
I don't really care about the new ships tbh. To me, it always felt like they were meant for each other, despite it not being healthy. It would actually make much more interesting of a story if they did, even if it's controversial.
It's a good example of how the author's feelings got in the way of writing the manhwa the proper way imo.

Yeah, cheating is awful, but things are not always black or white, and there are second chances too. Sumin never really gave Seju a second chance. It would feel more genuine if we saw them trying again, failing and then Sumin ending up with Sungji.

last edited at May 10, 2019 6:23PM

matsuri_wins
joined Feb 18, 2018

I agree. The psychology of the author kinda shows up too in their work haha They say the story is about healing, but then literally 111 chapters in, Sumin is still having "Valentine's Day by analogy" with Sungji (with every aspect of it being linked to better days with Seju) and Seju...gosh, what can I say? The girl doesn't have a break, she is on a beautiful island with this muscular sexy other lady and still drinking the pain away.

So it's better to just put everyone out of their respective miseries and let them get back together. Because Team GJ said this is a story of healing but I haven't seen anyone healing yet, least of all the readers, who are still crazy reactive to any SejuxSumin scenes if the FB group and some others are any indication. It's super interesting, like...chapter full of SungjixSumin? 10 comments....SejuxDowon? same...SejuxSumin? 100+ comments and people literally going nuts writing essays.

In the end, "love is a force of nature" type of stories is what people explicitly or secretly want to see, and get emotional about. It's like Sungji and Dowon are the perfectly nice, rational choices, but not the gut level choice.

last edited at May 11, 2019 8:16AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I know I'm way late to this party (in fact haven't even left the house for the party), but could somebody give me a quick rundown of the publication history of the post-WDTFS version of the story?

That is, I read the whole WDTFS in non-official venues (including what seemed to be epilogue-type chapters of college-age Sumin & Seju, and of Seju's arrival at a villa), and I'm aware that Team Gaji had a falling out with Lehzin, and that more of the story has been appearing, but exactly where and in what form(s) I'm unclear.

So if some kind soul could redress my ignorance I'd appreciate it.

matsuri_wins
joined Feb 18, 2018

@Blastaar: please support the authors if you can.

Currently WDTFS is being published in English by Tappytoon: https://www.tappytoon.com/series/thefoxsay/1

They are still way behind in chapters. I paid for the series in English in Lezhin up to chapter 50ish when it got canceled, but am paying everything over again in Tappytoon just to support them.

And in Korean they are now being published by Kakao and it's up to date on chapter 111, but it's really hard to get it so there is a FB group called WDTFS translating from the Korean source.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Thanks. So is the new material all in a single post-WDTFS series? Or is it presented as an extension of the original?

matsuri_wins
joined Feb 18, 2018

It’s still called WDTFS, so I think it’s extension? It’s not a new story, they are just continuing it I guess.

joined May 6, 2018

So it's better to just put everyone out of their respective miseries and let them get back together. Because Team GJ said this is a story of healing but I haven't seen anyone healing yet, least of all the readers, who are still crazy reactive to any SejuxSumin scenes if the FB group and some others are any indication. It's super interesting, like...chapter full of SungjixSumin? 10 comments....SejuxDowon? same...SejuxSumin? 100+ comments and people literally going nuts writing essays.

It's because the latest chapter also focused about Sumin's taking revenge on Seju to make Seju hate her and give up, and the same topic about "Who's at fault" repeated over again. I guess it will never stop as both Team Black or Team Pink all have their own argument to defend their favs. In short, it is WAR, nothing to feel proud of. Tbh, Seju and Sumin were too toxic to one another, they should have just stayed away from each other's life from now on. And even if Sumin might someday get mature enough, realize her mistakes, apologize to Seju and ask for her forgiveness. It's not like Seju will also stay at same spot to give her another chance. Vice versa. Time passes, things change. We all know that.

The reason some people think Seju and Sumin fit better is because of their strong unbreakable bond that has been built for 17 years, Team Gaji showered us with a bunch of their flashbacks, our points of view would change if they show us more of Sumin x Sungji and Seju x Dowon in the future. I don't know about others but as one member of Team Pink, I really hope Seju would get together with anyone else, but Sumin, as nothing will change even if they got back together, if yes it would be just a little bit. Seju's past and upbringing is awful enough, I hope to see someone protect her, not her to protect or treasure anyone even when she doesn't have enough mental stability and strength to do so. In short, I don't want to see a fake Seju anymore.

last edited at May 11, 2019 9:03AM

matsuri_wins
joined Feb 18, 2018

My point is more that Team GJ has developed a story that has only 2 types of readers:

1. The ones that want Seju and Sumin to get back together (“meant to be”)

2. The ones that don’t want them to get back together rationally, but anyway go and engage with the story the most when Seju and Sumin are on the same scene together.

In other words Team GJ has created a story where the only thing that matters is Seju and Sumin’s past and present relationship. Nobody cares about sweet Sungji and Dowon because they are simply not made to be interesting enough; instead of spending time making them interesting, Team GJ gives us more Sejumin flashbacks, reinforcing the whole concept.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

It's because the latest chapter also focused about Sumin's taking revenge on Seju to make Seju hate her and give up, and the same topic about "Who's at fault" repeated over again. I guess it will never stop as both Team Black or Team Pink all have their own argument to defend their favs. In short, it is WAR, nothing to feel proud of. Tbh, Seju and Sumin were too toxic to one another, they should have just stayed away from each other's life from now on. And even if Sumin might someday get mature enough, realize her mistakes, apologize to Seju and ask for her forgiveness. It's not like Seju will also stay at same spot to give her another chance. Vice versa. Time passes, things change. We all know that.

Well that's the problem. We all know this is supposed to be happening after all these years, but in reality it doesn't.
And also I don't understand how someone like Sumin who is still portrayed as toxic by the manhwa itself, can apparently have a healthy relationship on her own with Sunji, when she also cheated on her?
They are so focused on Seju's problems and future relationships that they just let Sumin be fine with Sungji. I'm not sure how someone carrying this weight could make it work with anyone, even if that person is not toxic. (like Sungji)
Sum in is still focused on Seju in some way. And why still work in her company? She needs to realize she's not the person who can make Seju stay away from her, because that will also make her involved again.
They spend so much energy trying to be apart, that it makes me wonder if it would be easier to give it a other chance and after failing again, finally realizing there's not much left.

To reply you must either login or sign up.