Forum › Japan's taking down anime/manga sites, for anti-piracy they say

Brave_nehsafphnw
joined Dec 27, 2013

I was just wondering.. Does dynasty reader have a chance of being taken down?
of course it has
But it's not in the near future right? Please tell me it's not..

last edited at Jul 31, 2014 10:01AM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Honestly I wouldn't give too much importance to that, if piracy could be eradicated it would've done YEARS ago. I mean, not even the Hollywod behemot can kill it

Al%c5%afskd
joined Jul 4, 2012

I don't want Dynasty to be taken down T-T .. It's the light of my life.

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

I don't want Dynasty to be taken down T-T .. It's the light of my life.

"Light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul."

^ How the majority of people feel about Dynasty Scans, I'm sure. :P

I would say to Japan, good luck with that. However, let's pray for Dynasty Scans just in case. >.>

joined Nov 30, 2011

How much of the manga and anime that is fan-translated or fan-subbed is even available for purchase with professional work done on them outside of Japan anyway?? Without the hard work of those people, I would have never bought some manga or anime series if hadn't been for them. I've also wondered if the overseas popularity of some shows and series outside of Japan happened in no small part to these groups of people who made them available for viewing outside of Japan. Does anyone know anything related to that??

2015-01-21%2018.42.01
joined May 17, 2014

Apparently the like to keep export prices high so people don't buy out of country so it's cheaper.

They say the biggest target of the JP Gov over piracy is China, that's where they're losing all their money from. A lot scan groups translate from Chinese or so I've heard though so rather than the English sites being taken down they'll lose their sources... Idk how much that would effect Dynasty Scans though.

Worst case scenario they request that all of the uncopywriten manga is removed from the site, though most of the content located here is doujinshi.

Isn't there a law that states that media may be shared for educational purposes so long as one does not gain profit for another's copywriten work? (I remember seeing it on YouTube before...)

last edited at Aug 1, 2014 2:33AM

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

How much of the manga and anime that is fan-translated or fan-subbed is even available for purchase with professional work done on them outside of Japan anyway?? Without the hard work of those people, I would have never bought some manga or anime series if hadn't been for them. I've also wondered if the overseas popularity of some shows and series outside of Japan happened in no small part to these groups of people who made them available for viewing outside of Japan. Does anyone know anything related to that??

I don't know about any statistics, but I'm sure that a huge part of the non-Japanese fandom - especially the Western section, since I believe that China and Taiwan do quite a bit of localisation work manga-wise at least - developed their interest in anime and manga through the work of fansubbers and scanlators. I am the same myself; if not for the work of those people, I would not be spending money importing stuff from Japan. Official localisations are just too slow, inaccurate, low-quality or plain nonexistent to allow a really large overseas fandom to flourish.

Isn't there a law that states that media may be shared for educational purposes so long as one does not gain profit for another's copywriten work? (I remember seeing it on YouTube before...)

I believe that's American law and therefore irrelevant to Japanese matters. Not to mention whether it's valid even in America is doubtful... I suspect that it doesn't actually change anything - if the creator demands something to be taken down, it will be.

Also, for those concerned about whether Dynasty will be directly affected by the anti-piracy campaign, it's not one of the main targets (see pg.11-21) so I doubt anything will happen even if the Japanese government is serious about trying to push it through. They have enough on their hands as is. Thank goodness that Dynasty's a pretty small site in comparison...

last edited at Aug 1, 2014 2:43AM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

And whoever did that list doesn't know what the hell is talking about, MangaTraders is among the first targets and the site went down by hackers more than a month ago. I wouldn't be surprise if they only looked by manga sites on google and called a day.

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

And looking at it again, ari-chan is probably right about the main target being Chinese sites - it looks like all the manga sites they've requested to take down series are mainly used by Chinese speakers.

And whoever did that list doesn't know what the hell is talking about, MangaTraders is among the first targets and the site went down by hackers more than a month ago. I wouldn't be surprise if they only looked by manga sites on google and called a day.

That's not at all surprising, yeah. What a sloppy job.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

I'm not really worried everyone else that tried this has failed but seriously if they are so pissed about fan translations and sh*t why not export the damn things I don't live in the u.s. so its impossible to get any kind of manga or anime over here without having to pay tons of money and on top of that I can't read kanji so manga are cut for me <_<

to me this is just selfish if they make like a itunes format or something I would pay money to watch/read what I like I'm sick of crappy reality shows on tv they could make millions and kill off cable tv for good haha

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Reminds me of how the gaming industry is slowly learning that piracy cannot be stopped, it can only be "beaten" by providing a better service than the pirates. Any attempts to stop them will always fail and backfire, like DRM services which mostly affect actual customers in a negative way... In the case of mangas the "word of mouth" would stop (they would have no way to find the mangas in the first place), some of the readers might turn out to be potential customers, those who could buy the manga to support the artist/magazine. You are not getting a hold of them by shutting down sites, you are only removing the little signs of your own existence that could bring in those among us that are potential customers... (although, to be honest, they are a minority of the readers who use these sites).

Turned into a bit of a rant there, I don't know the specific situation that they are in and what exactly they are trying to accomplish (still, as mentioned before, any attempt to fight piracy directly is futile). Just wanted to chime in from a general marketing POV.

Anyways, be there danger or not, I keep planning on downloading mangas that I like from this site...
Looks at own lists
Its... gonna take me a while...

last edited at Aug 1, 2014 5:35AM

%e5%b0%8f%e8%88%94
joined May 22, 2013

FUCK THEM, I say.

Brave_nehsafphnw
joined Dec 27, 2013

This kind of reminds a movie streaming site I used to watch on (before I discovered torrent), the site got taken down and they like, put the site back on, even putting a sign that said F*CK THE POLICE, and I just thought, I hope the anime fandom would also do something similar too, I like the anime fandom, because they're more accepting and friendlier than anywhere else. I just don't wanna lose it.

joined Feb 6, 2013

Dynasty is hosted in the Netherlands currently, and does not make any money off the site... there's like a 95% chance nothing will happen.

If it does... there other places to move to.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Looking for information about that, I saw some stuff saying MangaTraders wasn't going to return. Is that right, or someone running with too little information?

300129l_-_kopie
joined Jul 27, 2013

Looking for information about that, I saw some stuff saying MangaTraders wasn't going to return. Is that right, or someone running with too little information?

https://www.mangaupdates.com/showtopic.php?tid=46806

(read Post #645666 from Chojiki on the first site)

Apparently it was hacked "for fun" by a bunch of admins from Horrible Subs. Who even thought it to be funny to release user information, etc. After a longer streak of troubles like paypal freezing donations for the site and such - the owner of the site finally gave up. He gave file access to 3 users for them to safe all the stuff before finally closing everything for good. Each of those users have their own goals what to do with that stuff. Like at least bundling everything which was released up till now in a torrent. And one plans to create a similar site. (but who knows if that ever comes to fruit)

last edited at Aug 1, 2014 11:13AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Woah, every release in a single torrent, that thing's gotta be HUGE!

To reply you must either login or sign up.