Forum › Slow Start discussion

joined Jul 26, 2016

Eiko, make certain you are never alone with that girl.

I reckon she's made a point to avoid that after the last time... even if "this kinda thrill ain't bad" as it were. o_O

last edited at Feb 14, 2019 7:13AM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

4) Nishimura is a crossdressing male (see ch24). He hasn't really gotten enough focus thus far to determine what his deal is (ie. sexuality/gender identity/etc.) but he seems to be an LGBT ally if Enami's comfortable getting drunk around him.

I just read through chapter 24 again, and there was nothing in there that made me conclude ANYTHING like this. At all.

You missed it, like I did too till it was pointed out - it has not been raised in the story

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/slow_start_ch24#11

After the name, in brackets - the male symbol can't mean anything else. (Hajime is also a common male name)

last edited at Feb 14, 2019 9:32AM

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

4) Nishimura is a crossdressing male (see ch24). He hasn't really gotten enough focus thus far to determine what his deal is (ie. sexuality/gender identity/etc.) but he seems to be an LGBT ally if Enami's comfortable getting drunk around him.

I just read through chapter 24 again, and there was nothing in there that made me conclude ANYTHING like this. At all.

You missed it, like I did too till it was pointed out - it has not been raised in the story

After the name, in brackets - the male symbol can't mean anything else. (Hajime is also a common male name)

Oh, I had missed it too.

Anyway, Sachi is really dangerous.

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

My god, Kamu and Kiyose hitting it off, the Author has given us a third option! KamuEikoKiyo!

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

(pulls out magnifying glass) ...I suppose that indecipherable squiggle could be a male symbol...

last edited at Feb 14, 2019 6:16PM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^ Lol- that's why I looked over it first time- at a glance it's not clear what it is due to the brackets being so close in to it- but you take a close look and it's clear what it is. I also didn't pay attention to the first name- which is a guy only name.

I wonder why the mangaka made the point of including this info but has yet to make it relevant? Well- I guess it lets us know Enami is fine with gender/sex related things that differ from 'the norm'.

last edited at Feb 14, 2019 9:28PM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

I wonder why the mangaka made the point of including this info but has yet to make it relevant? Well- I guess it lets us know Enami is fine with gender/sex related things that differ from 'the norm'.

I think some of the better LGBT inclusions in media are the ones that don't make too much of a fuss about it (eg. Lily's birth sex reveal in Zombie Land Saga was delivered swiftly, greeted with an "okay cool", and then they just returned to focusing on the story). It's not like Eiko needs to go through a "can girls really love girls?" arc in order to fully enjoy her development with Kiyose. Outside of a potential future chapter where Nishimura might sit down with Eiko to give her juicy info on Enami, emphasising on Nishimura's gender doesn't really add much to the story.

last edited at Feb 14, 2019 10:07PM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^I agree in general, but you add elements to stories for the stories sake- because they have a role or point- otherwise why go to the bother? Token inclusion? I don't think a story having a 'token' lesbian or trans character adds much from a representation point of view either - just like Nishimura could have been a guy but only the writer knew- and they never told anyone- it doesn't add much to the story or the conversation / normalizing it, unless it is visible and used to some effect I think.

So I think this fact WILL be raised again and have some significance - it doesn't need to have big deal made of it, but even if it's just to show trans / crossdresser (whatever he is) in a better light (they are often just joke characters in anime/manga) the writer will want to do a bit more than just stick a male symbol by their name. And I think you are right, it will presumably involve Eiko learning more about Enami.

last edited at Feb 14, 2019 10:58PM

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

I appreciate how they create a whole scenario just to have the punchline be Eiko lusting for Sensei, even if she isn't in the chapter.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Poor Hana.
Where were they doing those squats, though? In the middle of the sidewalk?

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

Hana can't handle alone all these bokes.

joined Jul 26, 2016

I'm becoming ever so slightly concerned about the effects Eiko's having on Hannen... :/

Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

Hannen... You crazy conspiracy girl.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Touch and go

Poor Tama getting all worried over Hannen's conspiracy theories

Also, I noticed Shion's breasts constantly appear over panel corners or speech bubbles

last edited at Feb 20, 2019 2:09AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Also, I noticed Shion's breasts constantly appear over panel corners or speech bubbles

They always do, it's been a running gag since the start. Their glorious size can not be contained, not even by the fourth wall.

joined Jul 26, 2016

They always do, it's been a running gag since the start. Their glorious size can not be contained, not even by the fourth wall.

Mere panel frames are not enough to hold all this Shion.

On another note Mrs. Ichinose is savage af lmao

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

Can't believe they're still introducing new characters at this point. Sorry prez, but Hana got Tama already.

Enami on the offensive in the first half and then Eiko goes all out at the end, perfect ending for volume 5.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Savage Enami

joined Jul 26, 2016

such third-years
much outlaw
wow

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Everyone's cute.

Except Aya.

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Wow, I think Eiko came out ahead of sensei this time around.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Everyone's cute.

Except Aya.

I'm ashamed it took me a good five minutes to recognise this reference orz

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I'm becoming ever so slightly concerned about the effects Eiko's having on Hannen... :/

I'm more worried about the effects Tama might have on her lol

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/slow_start_ch60#8 She's too gullible

Also-

Great last chapter - but then any chapter with Eiko and Enami is great :)

And Sensei should at least let Eiko input her number lol, if having Eiko's pic as her standby screen is too risky.

last edited at Feb 23, 2019 7:42AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Sometimes it's very hard to tell whether Enami and Eiko are flirting or trolling each other. I assume yes.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^I'd say both- they certainly seem to be flirting a lot- but also seem to like teasing each other.

To reply you must either login or sign up.