Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

"Wholesome"
Damn, now you reminded me of something unrelated, but nice.
The meme community has created this trinity of wholesomeness concept. The 3 parts of it are Rogers, Irwin and Ross. All of these teach something. Rogers: "Be kind to other people.". Irwin: "Be kind to animals.". Ross: "Be kind to yourself."

last edited at Oct 26, 2018 6:15PM

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

Cristina Vee is my Touko of choice
Emily Bauer as my Yuu
And Erica Mendez would be my Sayaka
(although all the above are a pretty faraway dream)

I'm just here to announce that Bloom Into You is now available in English dub too at https://www.hidive.com/tv/bloom-into-you, and even though is anywhere near my personal choices (see above) I'm pretty satisfied with final result

Pixivicon
joined Aug 2, 2018

Damn, that sure was enjoyable to watch. Too bad I'm either not observing enough or not memorizing enough to get into the very scant few ever so slight deviations. But, I still gotta say that I'm glad they've been sticking to the manga thus far.
Now, the question is: will they get to a certain point in the manga and then wait for the manga to finish for a season 2, or if they'll skip a lot of events (some of which we don't even know now) to just show how the manga will end? The latter is something that I really frown upon, as I can say from my earlier experience with anime...

It seems to me, at present pace, the anime will end at the equipment room kiss. Not sure how they would fit in the rest of the manga if they continue not skipping a beat.

I do believe there is more dialogue in the anime, but not by much.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I still remember the time when this episode's events were current in the manga. When Maki saw them kiss everyone lost their minds and said he was an enemy, there would be blackmail, this would all turn into horrible drama.

It's sad how we are missing out on such beautiful overreactions in the anime, because the revelation of his true character was given right in the same episode.

Though to this day I still know some people who say he is fishy and they dont trust him lol

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

I'm glad they didn't make it a cliffhanger in the anime. There's no reason to make it some shocking plot twist considering how little relevance it has afterwards.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I'm glad they didn't make it a cliffhanger in the anime. There's no reason to make it some shocking plot twist considering how little relevance it has afterwards.

Oh it's absolutely for the best they did it, I just can't help but laugh thinking about those drama queens back then.

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

When is the new manga chapter out? Nakatani has hinted that Touko still misses Yuu (a good sign that things will work out in the end), but I wonder whether Sayaka will try to make out with Touko at the Kyoto trip. I both want it to happen and not. Maybe we could get that scene, it's a one-off thing but Touko still ends up with Yuu? lol

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

"Eroi" The way Touko said that gave me shivers. Damn this adaptation is good. Episode 4 continues to impress (one weird walking shot aside). It also makes me appreciate Nakatani's well ordered structure and foreshadowing that much more.

I read in Japanese Yagakimi tweets, that part “Eroi” was urged to make more “erotic” to hear by Nakatani Nio to Minako Kotobuki. They really made that scene so good. The combination of silence and a bit of piano music, it’s so anticipating and heart thumping, that I almost felt breathless in excitement. I guess some of the viewers too.

They keep nailing the good part actually. Even the part when Maki confronted and asked Yuu if she was dating Touko, how Yuu perceived the people might thought. It’s so dark, reflecting her fears and worries.

Just I noticed, this Maki in anime adaptation kinda gives me the creep. Lol.

last edited at Oct 27, 2018 11:08AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Oh it's absolutely for the best they did it, I just can't help but laugh thinking about those drama queens back then.

You've got to remember that at that point in the story people were not yet used to the way Nakatani habitually subverts or puts an original spin on familiar tropes, and in general is just a far more subtle and low-key storyteller than is generally the case in manga.

In this particular example, it was really much more reasonable at the time to assume that Maki's knowledge of the Yuu-Touko romance would represent at least an implicit danger hanging over their situation, rather than how it actually has played out so far, i.e., never being mentioned ever again.

In this episode we also got some strong hints that Sayaka was quite aware of something odd about the nature and extent of Touko's feelings toward Yuu and that she wasn't entirely happy about it (as in that "Touko will come to her senses soon" line). Again, what at the time seemed to be very clear foreshadowings of a love triangle/jealous-rival conflict have turned out to be anything but.

At first glance, the basic character-types and setting of this story are so familiar in this genre that it has taken readers quite some time to adjust their expectations in regard to how events are actually likely to unfold.

last edited at Oct 27, 2018 12:15PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

When is the new manga chapter out? Nakatani has hinted that Touko still misses Yuu (a good sign that things will work out in the end), but I wonder whether Sayaka will try to make out with Touko at the Kyoto trip. I both want it to happen and not. Maybe we could get that scene, it's a one-off thing but Touko still ends up with Yuu? lol

Woah, straight to the make out? Confessing is already a stretch, so let's not jump too many steps ahead.

I read in Japanese Yagakimi tweets, that part “Eroi” was urged to make more “erotic” to hear by Nakatani Nio to Minako Kotobuki. They really made that scene so good. The combination of silence and a bit of piano music, it’s so anticipating and heart thumping, that I almost felt breathless in excitement. I guess some of the viewers too.

They keep nailing the good part actually. Even the part when Maki confronted and asked Yuu if she was dating Touko, how Yuu perceived the people might thought. It’s so dark, reflecting her fears and worries.

Just I noticed, this Maki in anime adaptation kinda gives me the creep. Lol.

I see, guess it makes sense for the author to know best. Glad they let Nakatani have so much creative influence.

Yeah, I said the same thing, it's quite nice how they portray many things visually. The manga, whie being very good at pacing and subtlety, often lacks those more elaborate visual moments.

Maki's smile is a bit creepy at times admittedly.

You've got to remember that at that point in the story people were not yet used to the way Nakatani habitually subverts or puts an original spin on familiar tropes, and in general is just a far more subtle and low-key storyteller than is generally the case in manga.

In this particular example, it was really much more reasonable at the time to assume that Maki's knowledge of the Yuu-Touko romance would represent at least an implicit danger hanging over their situation, rather than how it actually has played out so far, i.e., never being mentioned ever again.

In this episode we also got some strong hints that Sayaka was quite aware of something odd about the nature and extent of Touko's feelings toward Yuu and that she wasn't entirely happy about it (as in that "Touko will come to her senses soon" line). Again, what at the time seemed to be very clear foreshadowings of a love triangle/jealous-rival conflict have turned out to be anything but.

At first glance, the basic character-types and setting of this story are so familiar in this genre that it has taken readers quite some time to adjust their expectations in regard to how events are actually likely to unfold.

What I remember is that I caught on pretty much immediately that he wouldn't do anything bad. Can't explain this very well, but I often predict things rather well based on gut feeling, at least in vague terms. That image when he ran away didn't give off the maliciousness an author would put in for a bad character who blackmails and it also didn't show the typical signs of a love rival. I just couldn't see Maki as a negative influence. I thought he was going to keep the secret with him and get into situations where he has to hide his knowledge, but then he ended up confronting Yuu rather directly haha

Trope savviness can be a blessing or a curse I suppose, but when you look at things from the author's perspective the true purpose or development will soon crystalize.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^ Congratulations on your excellent powers of foresight, but to the question, "What will be the future consequences of Maki's knowledge of the Touko-Yuu relationship?" no one can be blamed for failing to foresee that thirty-odd chapters later the correct answer would still be: "nothing."

last edited at Oct 27, 2018 12:37PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

^ Congratulations on your excellent powers of foresight, but to the question, "What will be the future consequences of Maki's knowledge of the Touko-Yuu relationship?" no one can be blamed for failing to foresee that thirty-odd chapters later the correct answer would still be: "nothing."

Like I said, it's vague. Not quite on the level of precognition yet, but maybe there is room to level up snorts

Maki's role was more or less fulfilled when he made Yuu question whether she is also like him. When he said that she really loved/cared for Touko that set off the chain reaction, making her question what her "normal" actually means. He was an essential step for the early part of the development and now he's just there, like any other side-character.

I don't think anybody could have predicted that far ahead. It's just that it was quite hysteric to jump to such conclusions back then.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Woah, straight to the make out? Confessing is already a stretch, so let's not jump too many steps ahead.

Don't people ever drink on these school trips? lol
All I'm saying is, before the end of this manga we need to at least have a Sakaya x Touko kissing scene. While at the same time not preventing the Yuu x Touko endgame, since Yuu needs to be happy.

joined Oct 22, 2018

All I'm saying is, before the end of this manga we need to at least have a Sakaya x Touko kissing scene. While at the same time not preventing the Yuu x Touko endgame, since Yuu needs to be happy.

"we need" Bold claim there.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Don't people ever drink on these school trips? lol

Yeah not gonna happen. Japan takes the minor and drinking thing way more serious than the West. Sayaka and Touko are also honor students so that goes double for them.

I have no desire to see those two kiss in the slightest. Maybe in an AU spin-off chapter, but at this point that is basically just like bashing their heads against a wall for a few minutes. A painful dead end.

last edited at Oct 27, 2018 3:34PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I have no desire to see those two kiss in the slightest. Maybe in an AU spin-off chapter, but at this point that is basically just like bashing their heads against a wall for a few minutes. A painful dead end.

Queer sidekicks/best friends/third wheels, etc. are shipping catnip to a significant proportion of the yuri manga readership, no matter how loudly and consistently the story as a whole is shouting “IT’S NOT GOING TO BE THEM! NOT EVER! I MEAN IT!”

This seems to be especially the case when the character in question is forthright about their same-sex desires (at least to themselves) while the MCs are doing some sort of “but we’re both girls/I’m not a lesbian, I only love you/how do two girls even have sex?/our love can never be,” etc. song and dance in the main plot.

last edited at Oct 27, 2018 3:55PM

joined Oct 22, 2018

Queer sidekicks/best friends/third wheels, etc. are shipping catnip to a significant proportion of the yuri manga readership, no matter how loudly and consistently the story as a whole is shouting “IT’S NOT GOING TO BE THEM! NOT EVER! I MEAN IT!”

This seems to be especially the case when the character in question is forthright about their same-sex desires (at least to themselves) while the MCs are doing some sort of “but we’re both girls/I’m not a lesbian, I only love you/how do two girls even have sex?/our love can never be,” etc. song and dance in the main plot.

The part that you put under "" is basically the kind of thing I encountered in most shoujo-ai manga I've read.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

What can I say? I like to stick to the canon as close as possible in all areas. The author wants Touko and Yuu together and so it shall be. Shipping the third wheel is the same in all sexual directions though, mind you. I've seen that happen in lots of straight romance too. Good ol' love triangle never fails. Whether intended or not, someone will want it to happen.

I'm pleasantly surprised that the "but we are both girls" thing is becoming less and less of a main theme and only either an initial apprehension or a minor observation (unless homophobia or social status are the main topic of the story). I mean YagaKimi is the best example. Neither Touko nor Yuu have been hung up on that for longer than maybe one chapter. Especially Touko didnt care, the moment she fell for Yuu, gender was meaningless to her.

The part that you put under "" is basically the kind of thing I encountered in most shoujo-ai manga I've read.

Please drop the "Shoujo Ai". This is a yuri community, we actually know what we are reading.

last edited at Oct 27, 2018 4:37PM

joined Feb 18, 2018

Oh, come on. I do think the story is pointing that it will be Yuu x Touko endgame. But it sure ain't shouting at this point. Someone mentioned there could be a troll ending Sayaka x Touko and Yuu x Forever Alone and I can see it happening (not that I want it to, I just think it would be rewarding for Sayaka to make out with Touko at least once and then move on).

Again, if Touko was seriously in love with Yuu, she wouldn't say she can't return her feelings, despite being fully aware that it hurts Yuu. Her emotions are blurry at best, and it's hard to know to which direction they will tilt. Like I wouldn't even be shocked if it turns out she doesn't want to date anyone because she wants to focus on herself and finding out who she really is etc.

Everything hinges on this Kyoto trip I believe lol "Sayaka, ganbatte!"

last edited at Oct 27, 2018 5:23PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Oh, come on. I do think the story is pointing that it will be Yuu x Touko endgame. But it sure ain't shouting at this point. Someone mentioned there could be a troll ending Sayaka x Touko and Yuu x Forever Alone and I can see it happening (not that I want it to, I just think it would be rewarding for Sayaka to make out with Touko at least once and then move on).

Again, if Touko was seriously in love with Yuu, she wouldn't say she can't return her feelings, despite being fully aware that it hurts Yuu. Her emotions are blurry at best, and it's hard to know to which direction they will tilt. Like I wouldn't even be shocked if it turns out she doesn't want to date anyone because she wants to focus on herself and finding out who she really is etc.

Uh, remind me of your username, again?

Tip of my tongue, tip of my tongue . . .

joined Oct 22, 2018

Please drop the "Shoujo Ai". This is a yuri community, we actually know what we are reading.

Yuri is just a subset of shoujo-ai.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yuri is just a subset of shoujo-ai.

Really, this is a conversation that’s finished here—the term is yuri.

Shoujo ai is used elsewhere, but not here.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Matsuri got shafted big time, but I can still believe xD

I wonder if there's a name for the person who always goes for the alternative ships.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I wonder if there's a name for the person who always goes for the alternative ships.

In regard to Korean dramas It’s called Second Lead Syndrome. But there it’s always het, and the OTP lead is often a raging dickhead (or at least starts out as one), making his inevitable transformation yet another miracle wrought by the Infinite Power of Luuuuuuv.

Meanwhile, there’s usually an alternative guy who, in contrast to the (at best) tsundere main lead, is often kind, caring, generous, thoughtful and, sooner or later, Friend-Zoned. So shipping the second lead in those cases is a pretty rational move on a human level, if not a genre-savvy one.

People should ship in any way that gives them pleasure—I’m just generally astonished by the intensity of the disappointment and even outrage when ships don’t pan out that, going by the cues in story itself, never had a chance in hell.

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

In regard to Korean dramas It’s called Second Lead Syndrome. But there it’s always het, and the OTP lead is often a raging dickhead (or at least starts out as one), making his inevitable transformation yet another miracle wrought by the Infinite Power of Luuuuuuv.

Meanwhile, there’s usually an alternative guy who, in contrast to the (at best) tsundere main lead, is often kind, caring, generous, thoughtful and, sooner or later, Friend-Zoned. So shipping the second lead in those cases is a pretty rational move on a human level, if not a genre-savvy one.

People should ship in any way that gives them pleasure—I’m just generally astonished by the intensity of the disappointment and even outrage when ships don’t pan out that, going by the cues in story itself, never had a chance in hell.

I understand people have their own ships, and how you should never question them if you dont want to subdue yourself for a 400 page war on tumblr and r/anime.

But what would be the point in shipping a ship that clearly isnt the main focus of the story, and would totally dick over 99% of the audience if the story did happen to end up with a different ship? When Citrus ended, some got so angry at Sabu that Yuzu didnt end up with someone else, even though it was completely anticipated. Personally, I dont see the point shipping an alternate ship unless you're a masochist.

(also i said ship so many times i feel like a tumblr girl)

To reply you must either login or sign up.