Forum › Citrus discussion

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Calling them little things is really incredible considering those little things make the entire ending.

joined Feb 17, 2018

Welp.....that was rushed but oddly sweet....maybe....
Too many "what ifs" and unanswered questions.....oh well 2018 has been the year of rushed endings when it comes to yurt's.

Do any of you ever stop complaining about every little thing that happens in a chapter when it's released? Just cause it didn't match your ideologies, doesn't mean it wasn't good for the rest of us.

How was it good by any standard? As an actual story it doesnt make a damn lick of sense. Almost all the conflicts and plot points were just swept aside like they didnt even exist in the first place. There is absolutely no character development. Mei wasnt even present during the majority of the last volume. Its just so god awful that its hard to imagine that anyone genuinely believes that this was "good".

That's your opinion though.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Do any of you ever stop complaining about every little thing that happens in a chapter when it's released? Just cause it didn't match your ideologies, doesn't mean it wasn't good for the rest of us.

How was it good by any standard? As an actual story it doesnt make a damn lick of sense. Almost all the conflicts and plot points were just swept aside like they didnt even exist in the first place. There is absolutely no character development. Mei wasnt even present during the majority of the last volume. Its just so god awful that its hard to imagine that anyone genuinely believes that this was "good".

What are you even talking about? People have gone into extensive detail about what went wrong with this series, what its good and bad aspects have been, how it could have been improved, what it did well or (mostly) poorly compared to other manga series, and they’ve put forth detailed analyses of the characters and their inconsistencies, etc.

Those are “opinions,” yes, but those are “opinions” presented along with “reasons,” “arguments,” and “evidence,” which combined together are called “literary/artistic criticism.”

“How is it good by any standard?” is a real question which (theoretically) someone who really liked the story could answer.

But complaining about people’s “ideologies” is just gibberish.

What are you even talking about? People have gone into extensive detail about what went wrong with this series, what its good and bad aspects have been, how it could have been improved, what it did well or (mostly) poorly compared to other manga series, and they’ve put forth detailed analyses of the characters and their inconsistencies, etc.

Those are “opinions,” yes, but those are “opinions” presented along with “reasons,” “arguments,” and “evidence,” which combined together are called “literary/artistic criticism.”

“How is it good by any standard?” is a real question which (theoretically) someone who really liked the story could answer.

But complaining about people’s “ideologies” is just gibberish.

Sounds like ranting & complaining to me.

Oh & I do like the series for your information.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^We know you like the series because you keep saying it over and over. Why would you think you’re giving us new information?

But since you seem to be unable to articulate one single reason of any kind as to why you like the series or what specifically you think is good about it, you apparently have nothing to contribute to the conversation except bleating.

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

For me, the reality is that Citrus had the most compelling characters of any yuri series but also the most incompetently delivered plot. That's painfully true if we compare to manhwas. But even if we compare to other popular yuri mangas...People may not like say Kodama's NTR because of their morality/sensibilities, but what they cannot say is that NTR didn't have a tight plot where everything was explained and made sense by the end.

In Citrus that's not the case! I mean what the hell, if Gramps was not an issue, THEN WHAT WAS THE ISSUE DAMNIT? xD Are we to understand that the true issue was this series was throwing cheap drama at us just to keep us reading and that was the only reason it ever needed? That was my conclusion, after all everything was rushed. And if Sabu is going to continue the series in some way, then why rush to the end? I think I know why: if the marriage drama was thrown in there only to boost sales, then she never had the intention to give it proper attention in the first place.

Mind you, I'm happy with the last 2 chapters because they have emotional appeal (the strong point of this series), but that doesn't mean I can't see how terrible the execution is.

last edited at Aug 18, 2018 8:47AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

"At times when you can't sort out your feelings all you have to do is talk to the people around you."

Golly gee whiz jeepers, kids, if somebody had figured that out that basic element of human interaction about 30 chapters ago--oh, I don't know, maybe when the two of you were sleeping in the same fucking bed every night--things might have gone a little more smoothly, doncha think? Just maybe?

Actually, I think that the resolution of every previously apparently intractable plot conflict, personal misunderstanding, and cultural impediment in a single page of silent panels is the most exquisitely executed piece of authorial trolling I could possibly imagine.

Bravo, Saburouta-sensei. Just . . . bravo.

Blessings forever on Yuzu and Mei and all the forthcoming little YuzuMeilings.
(Udagawa-san having shown himself to be the most accommodating lesbian ally in history already).

joined Feb 18, 2018

"At times when you can't sort out your feelings all you have to do is talk to the people around you."

Golly gee whiz jeepers, kids, if somebody had figured that out that basic element of human interaction about 30 chapters ago--oh, I don't know, maybe when the two of you were sleeping in the same fucking bed every night--things might have gone a little more smoothly, doncha think? Just maybe?

Actually, I think that the resolution of every previously apparently intractable plot conflict, personal misunderstanding, and cultural impediment in a single page of silent panels is the most exquisitely executed piece of authorial trolling I could possibly imagine.

And the REAL trolling is that the advice isn't even true in the context they are in.

last edited at Aug 18, 2018 9:08AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

And the REAL trolling is that the advice isn't even true.

Quite right that it's not all you have to do--but it is a thing you can do. True fact.

joined Feb 18, 2018

And the REAL trolling is that the advice isn't even true.

Quite right that it's not all you have to do--but it is a thing you can do. True fact.

Talking to each other is what they should have done for sure, and then selectively talk to the people around them to get a sense of whether they would be allies or not... Realistically, Mei telling Gramps she is in love with her stepsister straight up would just get her kicked out of the family. But hey, looks like he didn't even care anyway! So whatever...I just don't like this kind of umbrella advice being given in a manga, as though this was a normal shoujo story situation with a guy and a girl.

2cc6881f7148b61f96cb296bb854ff55
joined Mar 27, 2016

And if Sabu is going to continue the series in some way, then why rush to the end?

I mean its pretty clear that the manga was canned and Saburota was given a set amount of chapters to wrap the series up. This isn't something that isn't an uncommon occurance and it sucks for stuff like this to happen, but there's little that can be done about it. Citrus probably just wasn't selling well anymore, or Yuri Hime felt it was time to let the series go.

Hana and Hina After School also got a rushed ending due to cancellation, Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san is another series that Yuri Hime canned even though Kuzushiro still wanted to do stuff with it. Its just how these things go.

joined Feb 18, 2018

And I must also say: my theory way back in February that Mei was just being insecure and simply needed Yuzu to step up and be firm about wanting to be with her turned out to be true. She needed a "grandiose demonstration" of love. Problems were all in her head.

Images%20(2)
joined Feb 9, 2016

Yuzu does have a "sister fetish" o.O... like, a hard one... but anyway, I like that Mei wouldnt EVER play along.
Hmm I think most of us were a bit dramatic when we were 16.
I liked the ending, it is everything a gay person would wish for: everyone around you understanding, all the problems being in your head and a wedding full of love and support. Darn it xD sign me up for this kind of rushed happy endo!
p.s. I do hope they were older than 16 when they got married.18 at the very least, however, maybe getting married at 16 wasnt "that bad" for them considering Mei was gonna do it anyway with the older guy

last edited at Aug 18, 2018 9:26AM

joined Jul 22, 2014

Well finally, its completed with a yuri wedding end to boot!!
Need to hurry up and buy it to complete the collection.

last edited at Aug 18, 2018 9:27AM

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

Cmon atleast 1 more chapter with fluffy love stuff before the wedding :(

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

It finally ended.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Talking to each other is what they should have done for sure, and then selectively talk to the people around them to get a sense of whether they would be allies or not... Realistically, Mei telling Gramps she is in love with her stepsister straight up would just get her kicked out of the family. But hey, looks like he didn't even care anyway! So whatever...I just don't like this kind of umbrella advice being given in a manga, as though this was a normal shoujo story situation with a guy and a girl.

But we've said it before--talking to the other person about what's going on with you is certainly not a cure to every problem, but it is basic to being in anything you want to call a "relationship." Yuzu and Mei started doing it for real way back in Chapter 24.

And then . . . they didn't anymore.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Jess posted:

I liked the ending, it is everything a gay person would wish for: everyone around you understanding, all the problems being in your head and a wedding full of love and support. Darn it xD sign me up for this kind of rushed happy endo!
p.s. I do hope they were older than 16 when they got married.18 at the very least, however, maybe getting married at 16 wasnt "that bad" for them considering Mei was gonna do it anyway with the older guy

This and

matsuri_wins posted:

just don't like this kind of umbrella advice being given in a manga, as though this was a normal shoujo story situation with a guy and a girl.

This...

Is cute, of course no doubt, I mean is there anyone here who wouldn't love to live in that world? the issue in the manga wasn't about lesbians, the only problematic thing for them is that they were sister and not even real sisters just step sisters... So all the social discussion and family reactions were brushed aside or even worse.. Given a textless 1 panel "ok" and DONESO! but that's wishful thinking almost crossing to the fantasy realm at times.

Is like this because of the rushed ending? I don't think so, considering that this is one of the most famous yuri work of the decade, even if the sells were dropping it would still be higher than the average, right? well I don't know! I just.. sigh it could have been so much better.

last edited at Aug 18, 2018 9:39AM

joined Aug 31, 2017

This is probably the first time in my life where I didn’t want the main characters to end up together. The ending was unfulfilling in the sense that all this uncecessary drama exhausted me as a reader and I wanted Yuzu to seek someone else. In the end, I wasn’t happy or sad because of their renewed relationship and marriage. Eh whatevs.

last edited at Aug 18, 2018 9:52AM

Ryokoayeka2
joined Sep 6, 2017

I've never been so unsatisfied with an ending that had everything I wanted. The resolution really needed more time, I think. Oh well at least there was an ending- now give me more Harumin!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Please stand by for an official proclamation.

On 23 July 2018 I wrote the following:

So let me announce this right now—if Saburouta can somehow resolve this story in some way that doesn’t violate, gloss over, or completely ignore its own previous major premises about the characters and about the way the story’s world works, and can craft a happy ending that doesn’t make Mei look like a unstable narcissist and Yuzu look like a willful and delusional child, I will gladly take back all my criticism and admit that author-sensei is a highest-level master practitioner of the art of manga.

I hereby officially do not so retract my criticism nor do I so positively evaluate author-sensei in this particular case.

Thank you for your attention.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

So, in the end I got the happy ending that I wanted. Still, I can't help but feel slightly cheated about the whole thing.
This does feel all sorts of rushed, I wonder if I would have felt this way if Bloom had ended at chapter 34.

I was all ready for Mei's real mother to suddenly show up and cause a whole heap of drama
Or Mei's father to burst through every door and challenge the grandfather to a duel in single combat
Or Harumin to extravagantly declare that she is now Mega Harumin

last edited at Aug 18, 2018 9:51AM

joined Jun 17, 2014

...that's it? So easy. Just like that? I'm not gonna say I wanted more angst, but like a development for me I at the very least.......
I'm happy all went well. And that they're happy but..
That's it?
Well, guess I'll just look forward to the spin off

last edited at Aug 18, 2018 9:56AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

A better ending would've been Meitron losing control and Harumin coming from a window blowing off the crazy android head with a shotgun, and take Yuzu saying "The time has come, come with me... We're running out of time and she will recover soon, I must take you to safety"
Yuzu: W- What hell is going on?! Why is this happening, Harumi?!
Harumi: I'm not Harumi... I'm your daughter, Yuzuha.

To reply you must either login or sign up.