Forum › Citrus discussion

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Mei fought a losing battle, and Yuzu took to the waves like a surf fanatic.

This will be from now on the TL;DR of Citrus when I recommend it to friends :-)

joined Oct 13, 2015

the deluge imagery, experiences, and general concept permeates the whole of Citrus, for whatever reason, upstairs.

Mei wasn't waving. She was drowning.

last edited at Apr 13, 2018 5:53AM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

https://youtu.be/oyAlJ2qROP8

Final track of the drama CD is translated, with all of its HaruMatsu goodness.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

the deluge imagery, experiences, and general concept permeates the whole of Citrus, for whatever reason, upstairs.

Mei wasn't waving. She was drowning.

o_O... Were you looking to add something to the convo with your comment--aimed at a later, contextual generalization of a larger conversation that was clearly missed, or were you hoping for random, hit-and-run-type pwnage?

I thought this reference to one of the most famous modern poems in the English language was incredibly apropos to the general course of Mei’s development in Citrus. (Brutally paraphrased: what appeared in a person’s life to be signals that all was well (Mei’s hypercompetent persona) were actually signs of desperation.)

And even though the drowned person is a male in the poem, the poet published it with an image of a girl that looks a bit like . . . well, I’ll let everyone decide for themselves:

http://thethirdtale.edu-spirit.com/home/stevie-smith-not-waving-but-drowning

last edited at Apr 15, 2018 9:36PM

joined Oct 13, 2015

I thought this reference to one of the most famous modern poems in the English language was incredibly apropos to the general course of Mei’s development in Citrus. (Brutally paraphrased: what appeared in a person’s life to be signals that all was well (Mei’s hypercompetent persona) were actually signs of desperation.)

I actually didn't expect anyone to get that. More the fool me for underestimating.

The water immagery made me think of the poem and when i compared, it seemed to fit well. I did read most of the other comments and everything i could say has been said. Mei is not okay. But it's only because we get to see what Yuzu does that we know she is struggling as the weight of her responsibilities threaten to overwhelm her. Yet she keeps her composure and others (not all) think that she is fine.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I’m really not sure what these massive posts full of repetitive categorical assertions are meant to accomplish, but if it’s to prevent further responses to them, they work.

joined Feb 21, 2018

Its official, Citrus has gotten so bad that people are writing pretentious essays over examining run of the mill melodrama to add as much actual content to the story as they can.

last edited at Apr 16, 2018 10:13AM

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

Somebody have much more free time.

joined Feb 18, 2018

I myself think the "Mei wasn't waving. She was drowning" thing really fits. But will leave it at that.

On the other hand, I must say the obvious: having complex thought processes doesn't equal being pretentious, that's a judgement on the part of whomever is reading. It is certainly better than the shower of dumb (if I may judge it myself) "ZOMG"'s that this forum usually amounts to and will probably become again in 2-3 days once the new chapter is out lol

Also if you read what AozTkM wrote with no judgement, it's actually pretty reasonable and although verbose (which has been his/her style of writing from the start) it is not even THAT complicated.

last edited at Apr 16, 2018 1:59PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Also if you read what AozTkM wrote with no judgement, it's actually pretty reasonable and although verbose (which has been his/her style of writing from the start) it is not even THAT complicated.

That's fair, and I don't doubt AozTkM's thoughtfulness and sincerity. But the writing is quite complicated and digressive, and in order to engage with it as an argument one is nearly required to summarize and perhaps reword any given idea or to tease out the argument's underlying premises from a thicket of verbiage, at which point "that's not what I said" becomes a (perhaps not inaccurate) discussion-ending trump card. And I too will leave it at that.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Yes the writing is complicated and could be done much better, but it's unlikely it's done out of malice or due to being pretentious right? Who the heck is going to write a thoughtful wall of text, usually with pretty interesting points once you tease the ideas out, just to troll others when they can have the same effect by writing like 200 ZOMGs in sequence...We live in the era of fast-food information after all lol

I think we can just ask AozTkM to please write more concisely and separate each idea in a separate paragraph :-)

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yes the writing is complicated and could be done much better, but it's unlikely it's done out of malice or due to being pretentious right? Who the heck is going to write a thoughtful wall of text, usually with pretty interesting points once you tease the ideas out, just to troll others when they can have the same effect by writing like 200 ZOMGs in sequence...We live in the era of fast-food information after all lol

Point taken. I'm just going to have to readjust my personal mental-cost/benefit analysis about it all, though. I have enough trouble figuring out what these frustrating characters are about without walls-o'-words complicating the issues unnecessarily.

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

Only 16 pages... Ehhh... Im disappointing

joined Feb 21, 2018

2 months for 16 pages? WTF

joined Feb 10, 2018

Waiting for the complaints after released of chapter 37...

was not disappointed.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

was not disappointed.

And for the prices we're paying, too. Tsk, tsk--if this level of service keeps up, we'll just have to take our custom elsewhere.

joined Feb 18, 2018

I'm here for the HaruMatsu at this point so the chapter seems ok to me lol

Ryokoayeka2
joined Sep 6, 2017

I'm here for the HaruMatsu at this point so the chapter seems ok to me lol

Right? Can't wait for the full translation though. The rough one has me intrigued.

joined Feb 21, 2018

was not disappointed.

And for the prices we're paying, too. Tsk, tsk--if this level of service keeps up, we'll just have to take our custom elsewhere.

You say it like no one has paid a dime on this series.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

was not disappointed.

You say it like no one has paid a dime on this series.

What are you even talking about? Who here has paid money for the translated version of the latest chapter?

joined Feb 21, 2018

What are you even talking about? Who here has paid money for the translated version of the latest chapter?

What are you talking about? Citrus has been officially translated and released around the world that people have paid for, but they are not allowed to complain after seeing how the unreleased followup content is going?

Or is it just a cheap way to curb criticism for an obviously rushed mess of a chapter that fans had to wait 2 months for?

last edited at Apr 18, 2018 9:05AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

What are you talking about? Citrus has been officially translated and released around the world that people have paid for, but they are not allowed to complain after seeing how the unreleased followup content is going?

Or is it just a cheap way to curb criticism for an obviously rushed mess of a chapter that fans had to wait 2 months for?

I don't care one little bit who criticizes the comics. And do I understand that people who have been waiting for a long-ish time to read the new chapter--whether they like the story or are hate-reading it--are disappointed at getting a short chapter this time.

I'm just laughing at people who are reenacting the old joke, "This free food is terrible--and such small portions!"

joined Feb 18, 2018

Is it just me or yuri manhwas are much better? Like seriously, I've read Pulse and am reading Tamen De Gushi and they are consistently good throughout.

I finally realized Citrus being "almost good but never satisfying" is what makes it so famous xD The same relationship Yuzu has with Mei, readers have with this manga lol The relationship quality actually sucks overall and the solution is obviously to run for the hills, but the inconsistent rewards keep everyone hooked.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Is it just me or yuri manhwas are much better? Like seriously, I've read Pulse and am reading Tamen De Gushi and they are consistently good throughout.

I finally realized Citrus being "almost good but never satisfying" is what makes it so famous xD The same relationship Yuzu has with Mei, readers have with this manga lol The relationship quality actually sucks overall and the solution is obviously to run for the hills, but the inconsistent rewards keep everyone hooked.

I don't know--there are plenty of serialized works (many of them on this site) that are not fabulous works of art but are interesting enough to keep reading (or in the case of TV dramas/soap operas, watching).

I'm a bit puzzled by how polarizing Citrus is; I see it as being a bit like "crack Kdramas"--significant parts of the story may be trite or laughably handled, but there's some aspect--usually the chemistry of the leads or a compelling individual character--that hooks some people and keeps them hooked. It's just that in this case the popularity of the series seems to push people away from an "it's OK enough to keep reading to find out what happens" position into love-it or hate-it camps.

Yuri manhwa have their charms, but for some reason a number of them that I've enjoyed reading overall have had (to me) very rushed, or disappointing endings. So I'd hesitate to call them "better" overall--just different.

last edited at Apr 18, 2018 11:19AM

joined Feb 10, 2018

I'm just laughing at people who are reenacting the old joke, "This free food is terrible--and such small portions!"

Same here. I was poking fun of the way, everytime when a chapter release, people voice out their complaints. But they can't give up this manga regardless. Kidding aside, I wish AozTkM is here to brighten my day.

To reply you must either login or sign up.