Forum › Citrus discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Mei did vent her pent up emotion to Yuzu on the earliest chapter but it did stop after the arc with her father. I don't even know where they got the idea that Mei was abusive.

This sounds like a straight-up contradiction to me. Look, I know we’ve all gotten used to the idea that Mei is a (potentially) sweet broken bird who just needs to stay on her prescribed regimen of large doses of Yuzu-Love to spread her wings and fly freely in the sky (etc.), but Mei’s initial “venting” was nothing but abusive.

From her first “invasion of personal space” confiscation of Yuzu’s phone, to that famous first kiss, to her confrontation with Yuzu in the bath after the accident at the mall, and among still other incidents, especially what can only be called the “assault” of ripping Yuzu’s clothes at the grandfather’s house, Mei’s actions were selfish, aggressive physical violations of another person who clearly did not want them.

Remember, that first kiss came immediately after Yuzu says, “Kissing should be more like . . . reassuring one another’s feelings, you know.” Mei’s subsequent kiss and response, “ That’s what kissing is,” might as well be, “See, kissing is a form of rape.” We first see that Yuzu is an insightful and empathetic person beneath her bubbly gyaru surface when she quickly realizes that Mei’s actions are a function not of malice but of her emotional damage and deep loneliness.

The later turnaround in the Mei/Yuzu relationship after the reconciliation with Mei’s father is certainly real—that’s not at all who Mei is anymore, and although she still causes Yuzu emotional pain, it’s the pain that comes from being in a real, although highly conflicted, personal relationship, not from the violence of a person using someone else as an emotional punching bag.

EDIT: Just in case it’s not clear, I strongly disagree with the reading that goes, “Mei was abusive back then, and she still is.” But she was then.

last edited at Mar 8, 2018 10:32AM

joined Jan 22, 2018

@Yuri Queen

Mei warming up to Yuzu is character development. Did you see how cold Mei was to Yuzu in the earliest chapters? Yeah, Mei does have Momokino but Yuzu was the one who change her.

How can you say Mei isn't a victim of circumstances? When how her life works has been laid out like a blueprint for her. Besides, do you really expect Mei to just say "No!" to her grandfather when I don't know how many times Saburo reiterate how much importance Mei gives to her family.

This is the first time in the story that Mei is conflicted between her family obligation and her feelings for Yuzu which we all know is gonna be a major plot in the story but you guys just want Mei and Yuzu to just brush it off lighly and overcome these odds without a hitch because you want to see them all over each other. (gotta recommend wdtfs to these guys, smut yuri manhwa with no plot whatsoever)

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

I guess they would rather have Saburo Uta introduce a new character to force another love triangle rather than see Mei and Yuzu resolving one of the main plot of the story.

Rather than introducing a new 3rd wheel or coming up with Yet Another Arranged Marriage plot, the author could simply explore the dynamics of their relationship. That doesn't mean it can't be dramatic (example from centuries ago: KareKano). The impression I have so far is that Yuzu and Mei are together out of lust and some weird co-dependency (Yuzu being the rescuer and Mei the emotionally unavailable counterpart). And not because they are 2 people who love talking to each other and doing things together, and that naturally have challenges to overcome. Like, didn't Mei even tell Harumin that she doesn't know what to talk about with Yuzu? That's a hint right there that something ain't right...So yeah they are crazy for each other, but not sure if the reasons for their attraction are healthy/good enough to justify the relationship being long-term. If this is a romance drama, Saburouta is supposed to convince us of that, but I must say I am not convinced yet.

If the 2nd arranged marriage plot was introduced in the context of them being a solid couple, reactions would have been more positive. Instead, the way it happened it's hard to not think Yuzu needs to cut her losses and date someone else she clicks with. If the manga jumps from them barely knowing how to go on dates and being shy about making out, to suddenly Mei throwing her inheritance to the wind and riding into the sunset with Yuzu with no proper development it's going to be the worst ending ever.

last edited at Mar 8, 2018 10:49AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

If the manga jumps from them barely knowing how to go on dates and being shy about making out, to suddenly Mei throwing her inheritance to the wind and riding into the sunset with Yuzu with no proper development it's going to be the worst ending ever.

Now, now, don’t exaggerate—the last panel could reveal that the whole thing was a drug-induced hallucination of the guy from Yuri Danshi. EDIT: Who’s married to Yuzu. And having an affair with Mei. Or maybe the other way around.

Besides, I have it on good authority * that when the main story ends it’ll become an open-ended slice-of-life 4-koma called “Yes, Headmistress!” with Yuzu as the wacky sensei-chan school nurse and Mei as, well, you know. Oh, the hijinks they’ll get up to in the school infirmary . . .

• good authority = I just made that up

last edited at Mar 8, 2018 1:17PM

Utena-240x146
joined Sep 13, 2015

Blastaar I would 100% read your story of headmistress Mei and Yuzu as the nurse. All the good yuriness they would both get up to.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Now, now, don’t exaggerate—the last panel could reveal that the whole thing was a drug-induced hallucination of the guy from Yuri Danshi. EDIT: Who’s married to Yuzu. And having an affair with Mei. Or maybe the other way around.

Tumblr servers would overflow with the number of pictures of Citrus mangas being burned lol

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

Ehhhh

joined Apr 7, 2016

I guess they would rather have Saburo Uta introduce a new character to force another love triangle rather than see Mei and Yuzu resolving one of the main plot of the story.

Rather than introducing a new 3rd wheel or coming up with Yet Another Arranged Marriage plot, the author could simply explore the dynamics of their relationship. That doesn't mean it can't be dramatic (example from centuries ago: KareKano). The impression I have so far is that Yuzu and Mei are together out of lust and some weird co-dependency (Yuzu being the rescuer and Mei the emotionally unavailable counterpart). And not because they are 2 people who love talking to each other and doing things together, and that naturally have challenges to overcome. Like, didn't Mei even tell Harumin that she doesn't know what to talk about with Yuzu? That's a hint right there that something ain't right...So yeah they are crazy for each other, but not sure if the reasons for their attraction are healthy/good enough to justify the relationship being long-term. If this is a romance drama, Saburouta is supposed to convince us of that, but I must say I am not convinced yet.

If the 2nd arranged marriage plot was introduced in the context of them being a solid couple, reactions would have been more positive. Instead, the way it happened it's hard to not think Yuzu needs to cut her losses and date someone else she clicks with. If the manga jumps from them barely knowing how to go on dates and being shy about making out, to suddenly Mei throwing her inheritance to the wind and riding into the sunset with Yuzu with no proper development it's going to be the worst ending ever.

This is what I've been hoping for, too. But like...given what we've seen of SU's track record of constantly introducing new characters, I think a third wheel is what's going to at least jumpstart the next story arc. But I really hope we just end up with what you're suggesting--exploring Yuzu and Mei's relationship and unhealthy co-dependency on each other.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Something I really don't understand at all is: does Ume even know her daughters are together? Because if she doesn't know, why would she just go along with Mei's request of not telling Yuzu anything about the arranged marriage and that she was moving out? Also, is Mei still attending the school? If she isn't, what excuse for not attending school could she possibly give to her super strict Gramps? If she is, then the whole thing of "if I see you my resolve will crumble" is BS, because they will have so many chances to meet lol I fear all logic will be swept under the rug from now on in this story, there is no way SU can get out of this mess otherwise. That's why when I read chapter 36 I was like "oh no, there goes the plot".

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Something I really don't understand at all is: does Ume even know her daughters are together?

All good questions. There are a lot of basic things we don't know about Ume, or about how the nuts-and-bolts of all these lives actually work. That's one reason this series has seemed underwritten and rather unconvincing at times. What's the relationship between the mother and the rest of the Aihara family like? Besides the grandfather, how many people are even in that family? What does the mother do for a living? (Among many other questions.)

When it comes to the attending school/class thing, manga in general tend to be pretty mysterious, or at least amazingly diverse, about it--sometimes a single absence brings the homeroom teacher or class president to your front door, sometimes the student council room seems to be a kind of penthouse isolated from the rest of the school where student officers just hang out all the time, sometimes for certain characters--like Mei in this case--actual class attendance seems to be almost entirely optional.

As to your first question, the mom seems to know that Mei and Yuzu became close and that Yuzu is now hurting, but as to what she might know or suspect about a more intimate relationship, that's apparently a secret between herself and her can of beer.

joined Feb 18, 2018

What does the mother do for a living? (Among many other questions.)

In the anime she is shown to be a construction worker.

As to your first question, the mom seems to know that Mei and Yuzu became close and that Yuzu is now hurting, but as to what she might know or suspect about a more intimate relationship, that's apparently a secret between herself and her can of beer.

Maybe that was her plan all along xD https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet/955168254745632768

Coollogo_com_262501472
joined Jul 21, 2014

Wow, that ending on Chapter 36 (Yay! I finally caught up). Left me speechless and heartbroken for Yuzu. Is this the broken happy/sad ending? After all those chapters. Finally Mei has put her thoughts down on paper.

Honestly, I don't know to react besides the norm as tho I really feel Yuzu's heart completely obliterated into the void. Just wow....

Matsuri, I can imagine is steamed when she found out or put the last piece of puzzle together.

Alright, I need some fresh air. Damn.

Coollogo_com_262501472
joined Jul 21, 2014

Oh, guys. Came back to read this after so long and had my heart broken by the last chapter. The suffering is 2 hard 4 my heart I.

I'm with you on that Citrus reader. Totally speechless.

Coollogo_com_262501472
joined Jul 21, 2014

===> That is an interesting observation and went with it blindly until now. I often wonder how emotional attachment with females work when presented these red flags. Questions asked as to what's my attraction to this person? Why am I drawned to her when we have nothing in common or we constantly argue?

A few months ago I started to see this person who just broken with her girlfriend (soul mate) a red flag. Things were going well until she got that phone call from her "soulmate ex" and I knew from the last email that was it. Makes me wonder that she believes in this soul mate and destiny has been set then why did they break up...I don't know hard to convey in words of what I'm trying to get across..perhaps one of those that perplexed me vs belief systems, etc..

Not implying that Mei and Yuzu were soul mates and destined to be together against all odds. Just a very good point to the observation thought provoking.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It’s definitely true that in real-life terms Yuzu and Mei as a long-term couple are an absolute trainwreck. But that’s pretty par for the course with the romance genre, where part of the point is to throw as many obstacles in the path of our text-stipulated OTP as possible so that the Power of True Love can Overcome All.

Hey, Jane Eyre—run screaming from that lying, controlling asshole Rochester! Jane Austen’s Emma—you realize that you’re compensating for your weak, ineffective hypochondriac father by marrying a creepy age-gap daddy-figure, right? And Romeo and Juliet—you two just stay the hell away from each other, or there’s gonna be big trouble!

So in a way, the more convincing the arguments are for how unsuitable Yuzu and Mei are for each other, the more beside-the-point they are.

last edited at Mar 14, 2018 7:56AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

To quote the great Chuck Wendig, he of great writing advice and even greater ruining Star Wars:

“I am in love with Steve, but I also love my job as a diplomat to the Raccoon People of the Hollow Earth. But Steve is allergic to raccoons! But I may be the only person who can stop the Raccoon People from invading Canada! BY THE GODS WHAT SHALL I DO?” Great characters suffer from internal conflict. They don’t know what they want. Or how to get all the things they want. Position your characters between the Scylla and Charybdis of hard choices: choices that compete with one another. Giving characters these emotional, intellectual, soul-testing conundrums is sweet meat for the audience — the meat of conflict, the meat of drama. Further, it allows us to relate to these characters (as we all have to make hard choices) and gives us a reason to keep reading (because we want to know the character’s choices in the face of these inner conflicts).

Of course in the same article he says "You shall be cruel. This cruelty shall be great fun and a veritable giggle-fest because storytellers are dicks." Which still seems relevant in this case.

joined Feb 18, 2018

A few months ago I started to see this person who just broken with her girlfriend (soul mate) a red flag. Things were going well until she got that phone call from her "soulmate ex" and I knew from the last email that was it. Makes me wonder that she believes in this soul mate and destiny has been set then why did they break up...I don't know hard to convey in words of what I'm trying to get across..perhaps one of those that perplexed me vs belief systems, etc..

Not implying that Mei and Yuzu were soul mates and destined to be together against all odds. Just a very good point to the observation thought provoking.

I think the difference here is that Yuzu and Mei are actually each other's partner of choice so to speak, irrespective of whether people around them or us the readers are convinced of the reasons why they love each other or whether those reasons are sustainable long-term. Their difficulties are more related to circumstance and personality issues (mostly Mei's lol), and not that they are tempted to run off with other people or can't stand some aspect of each other.

Presumably if Mei's family accepted the relationship and Mei wasn't so afraid of emotions it would all work out. Even if they might not have a single topic to talk about that they both like, or hobby that they share. It's a direction taken by the author, to make them such opposites with no overlaps, but it does happen in real life I guess. It's just not a direction I particularly like, when combined with all the family challenges. But hey maybe her point is to say that there is some "intangible" quality to their love.

Hope you moved on from that girl! :-)

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

They will end up together. Thats only mather of Time.

last edited at Mar 17, 2018 3:44PM

joined Jul 11, 2015

yknow... there's still hope while the status is "ONGOING"

FOR CHRIST SAKE I WAS READING THE LAST UPDATE THEN END UP CHECKING THE STATUS I WAS LIKE

THANKS GOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD

PLS. DONT. END. YET.

DemacianSentry
Symbol%20small002
joined Aug 26, 2015

I had a feeling from the start. I mean from the beginning the author made it look like they were going to spend the whole story in love. Like a pandering yuri story. But when it kept going I kinda got the feeling that no matter what, it would end like this. If this is not the ending I cannot see this as becoming a good story. If it is the ending it is indeed a good story.

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

Another one... THIS IS NOT THE END

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

If this is not the ending I cannot see this as becoming a good story. If it is the ending it is indeed a good story.

Your post makes me very confused as to what you mean by “a good story,” and I’m especially baffled about why if it ended this way (NOTE: however it eventually ends, it is not over at this point) it would be a good story.

joined Feb 18, 2018

It would be extremely depressing, and also make no sense since they are step-siblings and presumably would meet each other again often for the rest of their lives, so it cannot really end with a goodbye letter and that's it. I think even Mei-Tron knows that lol

joined Apr 7, 2016

Why are people still saying the manga's over? It's not. And now apparently people are saying there are only two chapters left? Where are these speculations coming from? Is there an actual source, or are people just panicking and jumping to conclusions here?

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

People are jumping to conclusions without being aware of each volume's contents. And people seem unable to read the thread since many members here already answered that chapter 36 wasn't the last one.

• each chapter is published monthly in Comic Yuri Hime.
  • each volume has 4 chapters + an exclusive bonus short chapter
  • when a volume is published, the author likes to do a hiatus for the chapter publication because there are corrections to do for the volume, benefit to draw for shops and a booklet of additional stories to do (or a drama CD to write) for the collector edition.

Chapter 36 closes volume 9 that will be released the 23rd of March.
Chapter 37 was announced in Yuri Hime May (published the 17th of March) for Yuri Hime June released the 18th of April.

At least, we have 4 more chapters (and one more volume) to go and probably more to come. All depend on the author's will to solve the plot in 4 chapters or 8 chapters or 12 chapters. There will never be a volume of 2 chapters. People should at least read dynasty-scan Citrus' chapters list. It's clear about the chapters/volumes distribution. So we can have one volume tp 3 volumes to come. Volumes are usually paired, so more probably 10 or 12 volumes.

last edited at Mar 18, 2018 5:21AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.