Forum › At Midnight, Munch Munch discussion

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

I prefer to keep it simple and think she actually does split in half somehow.

:v

Applicationframehost_2018-12-19_14-19-07
joined Jul 23, 2017

consider me scared and aroused

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Well, Michael Myers does kill all those teenagers in Halloween, but you can find symbolism in his acts nonetheless!

5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

What the hell

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

Well isn't that interesting. I need a sequel

joined Nov 9, 2017

holy shit

okay, I have a take on this

her roomie is this sweet girl and the world tells us that sex is dirty

so when her roomie is moaning in the night, the POV character's psychological reconciliation is that there's "two" of them

the good one, the bad one

and in the morning there's just one

but she learns and grows up and tries "eating" one night

but fails at it (experience is key, it's easy to get discouraged, I did at first)

so it becomes a thing where she lets herself comfort the girl post orgasm, even if it's just in somewhat more innocent touching

like this COULD mean so much, it's really Lynch territory here

joined Nov 9, 2017

Well isn't that interesting. I need a sequel

same here

this could go a lot of strange ways and a lot of them are dirty AF, and a bunch of the others are surreal AF

more pls

I'd love to see this as a complete hallucinatory breakdown fantasy she's trapped in, maybe from a wrecked upbringing and trying to have sex with another girl sent her totally mental and now the girl in the room with her is another patient

and the other patient is trying to draw her out despite her shitty family, help her come back to reality

(no this isn't about my home life why do you ask lol no but seriously it wasn't that horrible)

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

What?!? Why!?

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

consider me scared and aroused

Perhaps would you care for a glass of champagne?

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

holy shit

okay, I have a take on this

her roomie is this sweet girl and the world tells us that sex is dirty

so when her roomie is moaning in the night, the POV character's psychological reconciliation is that there's "two" of them

the good one, the bad one

and in the morning there's just one

but she learns and grows up and tries "eating" one night

but fails at it (experience is key, it's easy to get discouraged, I did at first)

so it becomes a thing where she lets herself comfort the girl post orgasm, even if it's just in somewhat more innocent touching

like this COULD mean so much, it's really Lynch territory here

It's always David Lynch territory.

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

That girl looked cute after she finished eating herself

Images%20(18)
joined Oct 18, 2017

I read this thrice since I wanted to know why syfalkda see it that way. I'm quite intrigued. :)
It maybe the way it is as she explained but the word, "patient", kept me off-track......a "mental" patient or just a person in a normal daily life, struggling to control the extreme "indecisiveness".

There are three explanations for me:

1. A roommate's nightmare within the MC's dream;
  2. MC's imagination witnessing the nightmare (similar to Ushio's comment)
  3. all a metaphor

Observations:

• the ring on the roommate's finger from both pictures, i.e., if the cover is really them. (can't read Japanese..)
  • the MC looking at the roommate who is walking stoically forward and the other picture, the MC is holding the arm of the roommate who does not touch her.

So, my interpretation is all a metaphor:

The roommate told her of the nightmare but not the details of it since the MC is part of it. The MC witnessed the moaning every "nightmare". The "nigtmare" is the two "choices" that she faces in everyday life: the hetero marriage "relationship"(generally accepted) and the homo love(not accepted in Japan) she had for the MC who is a bosom friend as well. The splitting is the "logical self" from the "emotional self". The " logical self" eats the "emotional self" rationalizing that the hetero marriage "relationship" is the right thing to do than to give in to her "conflicted feeling" for the MC.

The nightmare stops until such time that the roommate wavers again in her resolution. Since they are close and maybe the "growing love" (conflicted feeling) of the roommate for the MC.

"It seems to happen only on nights when she has the nightmares." This means that the splitting occurs when she keeps on denying/rationalizing her "conflicted feeling" for the MC.

"She hasn't realized it herself". This means the roommate hasn't realized that she was already romantically in love with the MC.

"When this happens, I always feel lonely". This means she already knew of her roommate's "feelings" and she felt the same way too. But the "splitting" saddens her because the roommate is fighting the "feeling".

"Just once.... nibble...." This means she tried to convey her feelings. The nibbling of the nose means she tried to gently, bit by bit, to arouse the
feelings/love which means to let the roommate recognize/accept the romantic love.

"However, I'm not good enough" This means the MC can't win over the "logical self" of the roommate. She was still struggling but no moaning, no splitting, no eating.

Note: There was a discontinuation of the events. I take note of the clothes. The author choose a provocative clothing in the "just once" event to signify that the MC flirted with the roommate.

"That's why, what I could do to that filled belly" This is where the "emotional self" who has a "conflicted feelings" for the MC.

"was caress it". This means she will not nibble anymore but gently touch(to love) the "emotional self". In the process, the MC will continue to nourish/nurture that "conflicted feeling".

....Until such time, the MC can kiss the filled belly and the " emotional self" will follow the kiss as shown on the arching body...

Notes:

• belly button kiss is a type of a kiss that you should expect a lot more though it will start from an innocent/sweet way. Since you can only do this in private.

• the last panel to me is suggestive that the "emotional self" will come out from the belly. An instinctual coming out with no rationalization.

edit: syfalida to syfalkda
edit1: change terms due to Altair's comment

last edited at Dec 31, 2017 9:59AM

joined Nov 9, 2017

I completely missed the ring and that interpretation fits better

but

also makes me wonder if the "filled belly" isn't just metaphorically the roommate eating her feelings

but also she's pregnant with the fiancée's baby

so she dreams, some nights, of a love she's suppressing

and the MC is stoically watching it happen but accepting that she and the MC will never be -_-

I think this hangs it all together as a one shot

but if it is part of a larger story, if it DID go the psychiatric patient angle, then this would have to be something the MC figures out over time, maybe (tragedy seems to be on the menu here) after the roommate died in childbirth

which could STILL leave open the option of her current actual roommate in the mental hospital being a potential heart-mender

would be nice to see something good happen for a woman with such a wrecked mental state :(

joined Nov 9, 2017

I love that I provoked some thoughts on this, even if I'm kind of flailing a bit (and missing important details like the ring!)

heck, at this rate I might end up writing a version of this mental patient story someday :) sounds like the stuff I usually write

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

The roomie masturbates so her friend who is in love in her feels lonely, once she tried making a move on her but she was rejected (not good enough). I Will stay with this theory, I like it simple.

Is she a monster??! That's soo CREEEPPYYY!!

Images%20(18)
joined Oct 18, 2017

hmmm.... :) A one-sentence to my very detailed explanation:

A metaphored story of a young lady who confessed her love once to her conflicted female, matrimonially engaged, roommate and friend.

last edited at Dec 29, 2017 1:05PM

Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

Same, that was what I came away with before I ever considered it being a complex metaphor. I sort of creepy supernatural Yuri. It's nice to see something all it's own, really. :>

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

A few notes to help your close readings. The cover images are for this copy of Galette, where the work was serialized, and are unrelated to the story itself (so no rings). The costume/clothing switches are to point out different times/days, so the reader can tell what is and is not in present tense. Be careful with double meanings in English since the original was in Japanese and they may not carry over (panels are your best friend for evidence/examples).

The last panel is super sexual, and definitely implores the reader to look for metaphors and alternate meanings in the story itself, rather than taking the story literally.

Images%20(18)
joined Oct 18, 2017

The cover images are for this copy of Galette, where the work was serialized, and are unrelated to the story itself (so no rings).

Thank you. :) So, I have to strike this one out.

hmmm.... :) A one-sentence to my very detailed explanation:

A metaphored story of a young lady who confessed her love once to her conflicted female, matrimonially engaged, roommate and friend.

last edited at Dec 31, 2017 9:44AM

joined Jun 12, 2012

I can wholeheartedly relate to this manga

joined Aug 15, 2015

I can wholeheartedly relate to this manga

Kissing your roommate's tummy while they're asleep?

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

why is everyone trying to find some deeper meaning in this? maybe she really does split in half and one eats the other and the author expects the reader to take it at face value.

joined Nov 9, 2017

why is everyone trying to find some deeper meaning in this?

Why not?

Nothing's ever actually simple in real life, why would people deprive themselves of the analysis of a story when they're in an area specifically for discussing that story?

Honestly, I'm not sure why people seem to be put off by the analysis. Perspective is interpretation in part, and if someone thinks it's simple, it seems like they wouldn't care if others didn't.

But I'm prone to analysis, and people are always upset that I never have simple answers for them, so maybe it's just one of those things I don't understand? :/

joined Mar 15, 2019

yes... very very creepy... nice tag....

To reply you must either login or sign up.