Forum › The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness discussion

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I wish her happiness but I'm worried about what's she's going to do once she run out of things to say about herself... She said a lot during this manga, there's another new one that talks about her experiences I think, once that one is over... She might be forced to make up new ones about something else.

Maybe the silly stuff she did as student could be fun

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

This has been great. Can't wait to buy it when it's released in the U.S!
Even if she hasn't figured it all out now, I think she now knows how to go about getting he help she needs. Hopefully she's found great confidants among all the people she's opened her world up to a little since the sharing her story.

La Aoi Beau Chico
Boy%20blue
joined Oct 9, 2016

I think people should really just appreciate her progress... I mean shit, that sounded depressing af, and she might still have those depressing moments but she's getting there. Some of these comments seem halfheartedly which really sucks ass because, i'm glad she seems to be looking more towards the light rather than moping around in the dark. Anyways, I pray for her prosperity and finding herself and appreciating that she is a unique individual who is not alone in this animal world.

joined Jan 8, 2014

pg 133, 3rd panel had me ROFL

joined Apr 27, 2017

Hmm.. would have been nice if this book was around when I was depressed.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

To put it in some perspective - and this is why I compared her to the fictional Bocchi and Tomoko - look at her early "triumphs." Talking to someone. Getting out of the house. Those were very meaningful accomplishments for her. Then it was more substantive things like having the daring to actually arrange this - but she says it was because she felt cornered. Her HS life reminds me of Bocchi's life with Kai before her story starts - she thought things were fine, because, hey, she had a friend. Meanwhile, Kai had some premonition that Bocchi was headed for a fall - which, it turns out, actually happens, it happened to this mangaka. Once she was away from her school friends she never recovered. But her daily life was a lot more like Tomoko's, I would say. So the shrewdness and psychological aptitude of the authors of Watamote and Hitoribocchi is very high - they are accurately depicting - either painfully or fluffily - the way real people really are. I think that explains her euphoria now - the mangaka doesn't have to mark on her calendar "talked to the pizza guy." anymore. Where she is now is beyond her expectations.

joined May 11, 2016

I've been using this site for some time. I finally made an account just to say this: Dynasty Scans could use way more works like this. Hell, Yuri in general can.

As a 25 year old lesbian whose struggles with self esteem and sexuality mirrored the author's in so many ways, reading heartfelt stories like these is so, so much more fulfilling than any lowbrow titillation ever can be. Not that there isn't room for both, mind you. But when a manga brings me to tears, I can't help but hold it up as an example of what we should be heavily encouraging more of.

It doesn't even have to be non-fiction. Accurately portraying stories of the struggles sexual minorities go through can be so important, especially in such a divisive political climate. I've already shared this to multiple people, and I hope some of you do the same.

<3

joined May 4, 2017

Re-reading it now thanks to the official release and something I never noticed was the 4 wide panel per page the book has going. Very interesting.

joined Jul 15, 2016

I find this manga very uplifting, in a way. It's different because of how the story is narrated, and yet good

joined Jun 10, 2017

Been following this for a long time, I'm so happy you've been getting this better, hope you read this someday, I know this manga is translated, but you've seriously helped me a lot trough my depression and this last chapter has given me a little hope, I love you and your work. <3

[commie]%20go!%20princess%20precure%20-%2013%20[51546f94].mkv_snapshot_09.42_[2016.12.19_12.33.57]
joined Dec 10, 2014

As someone with severe depression who really can't stand herself even a little this manga was very important to me and I'm glad I was able to buy a copy and support it getting translated. I identified with SO MUCH the author and what they went through. It makes me feel more optimistic about my own life.

S221915205
joined Jun 7, 2017

SO GOOD!! chapter 5 helped me so much in terms of understanding the importance of self-care

joined Jun 12, 2015

Yes.

joined Apr 7, 2016

The earlier part about her experience with mental illness is very engaging, but like most works about dealing with depression, the part about her improvement is insubstantial. I think this is mostly due to the nature of recovering from severe mental illness, where statements that hold life-changing significance for one person sound like empty platitudes to another.

She attributes a lot of her improvement to her newfound willingness to be honest to herself to be open about herself. But in her case, open honesty resulted in her receiving widespread external support and a publishing deal. The cynic in me asks: "does she feel better now because of inward change, or because her life circumstances have improved?" The epilogue as a whole feels somewhat self-satisfied and lacking in insight, a bland "what I learned" tacked on at the end of an otherwise deep and personal story.

I don't really see anything wrong with that. If anything, I'm happy for her. After all the rough experiences she's had and all the humiliation she's suffered, I think she deserves the optimistic outlook she has at the end.

Yes, it does seem like she's tying things up with a neat little bow, and I can understand why that can seem bland or anti-climatic or patting herself on the back. But why should we only focus on the pain and angst? She's acknowledging her pain, taking what she's learned, taking both the positives and negatives, and using all of that to find the will to tackle more of life's challenges. This whole "report" is like a self-help book, in my opinion, and I don't see anything wrong with wanting to help people in similar situations by sharing your story and the lessons you learned.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

420 comments... I didn't want to comment because meymey :(
But I wonder what she's up to next https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=67038714

CertainPudding
joined Jan 9, 2018

No one's gonna upload the last chapter?
Or does this series end at chapter 5?
I heard there is a sequel right? Where can I read it/ Are there anyone scanlating it/ Is this series and its sequel got licensed?
Btw great manga! Maybe the greatest lol :v

P/s: I didn't see the tag "licensed" or "official" or anything like that, sooo uploading other chapters wouldn't break any rules huh? :v

last edited at Mar 1, 2018 12:35PM

joined Mar 26, 2018

This was a sad read, but I liked it. It's definitely a bit more about depression than yuri itself, and if anything the origin of the main character's attraction to women is kind of weird and off-putting, but I feel like the whole point of the manga was to understand that it doesn't matter what it takes or what happened for you to get to a point where you can be happy or work for your happiness, as long as you get there, and sometimes failing and awkward moments have to happen in order for you to understand what you really want. I'm glad the author shared her story, and I'm glad it had such an upbeat ending, it gives hope to anyone out there suffering from similar problems.

8.4/10 would read again

91174211_215395393136656_8792315491096985600_n
joined Dec 5, 2016

This was a lot better than I expected at first. I can't really say I relate, but I feel that I can learn some valuable things from this.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

The sequel is out in English licensed by Seven Seas Entertainment Ltd. I would say it's easy to read. It's definitely less rosy, less I'm-better-now, if that was bothering people. I don't feel like "being a lesbian" is an issue for her, and neither is ordinary, everyday loneliness. What makes her story particularly what it is is the great loneliness someone in her position feels. It's a cliche, but from the content of the sequel she definitely appreciates support. Both words of support and contributions to her (somewhat) financial independence. I am actually surprised in her shoes she didn't opt for more government help, tbh. It's not like Japan is like the US even now.

sequel is called My Solo Exchange Diary

I got it at Powell's along with the Eclair yuri tankobon

If you read the sequel don't get seduced by her self-loathing self-portrait. The truth is, her honesty has made (some) people like her.

That said it does positively address lesbianism and prejudice against it. I think people who liked this but had some complaints might like the sequel even better. That said, I found it sad like the lesbian parents couple's eventual resolution.

last edited at Jul 30, 2018 4:00AM

Man...I feel kind of grossed out by the fact that she's sexually attracted to her own mother. But other than that great story with a great depiction of mental illnesses and how it can affect your life. I really dig realistic stories like that.

Unknown%20(1)
joined Jan 30, 2019

I can relate to this soooo much, everything is me. and I love it.

Firefly Fanatic
9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

It started out as depressing, but in the end I feel like the message was something along the lines of "Life can be hard, but just try and get what you can out of it. Don't worry so much about what others think, and find something that you enjoy." It was interesting to read about their journey of attempting to find themselves.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Author is coming back with a new tale https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/77137665

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

This story gives me (social) anxiety. All these small everyday life things just get so painful. Getting up to get some water? Omg lets stress and get depressed over it. Then cry about it too.
The author needs help and I'm not saying this in a bad way. I didn't see her writing about visiting any therapist, but she needs one.

To reply you must either login or sign up.