Forum › Our Journey to Lesbian Motherhood discussion

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I think we're getting way too sidetracked with the Royal Family stuff. Can we bring it back to same sex families in general, lesbian families in particular, or this particular lesbian family-in-progress specifically? Any of those would be lovely.

last edited at Aug 2, 2017 2:33PM

Smollmboye
joined Sep 25, 2013

Doesn't that put a different spin on these pseudo-incest stories?

Wow, that's actually extremely interesting. Might that be where a lot of the whole "onee-sama" thing in manga and such came from? I know it's probably something to do with a lot of the Maria-sama type stories that proliferated in early yuri, but...

Looks like there's still a lot I need to learn about the history of these things.

joined May 24, 2014

Nothing more frustrating than when an entertainment show tries to act like moral guardians by spewing bullshit questions. "Won't the kid get teased?" and it's like mother fucker y'all are the ones who set the tone of national opinion on a number of issues like these grow some fucking...I dunno, anything and just say that shit ain't right. Don't try to pawn off your latent homophobia on those other people, whoever the fuck they are. Some of whom probably watch your show. Fuck's sake.

But they ARE right, and that must be taken into consideration as well

http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/woman-raised-lesbian-couple-i-ached-every-day-dad#.WYe-2rklp-Y.facebook

And also, the rule of ANY society is that the socially inferior MUST ALWAYS accept what the socially superior says, and that's ABSOLUTE. That being said they should just give up and settle on getting a cat just like in all those adorable kawaii mangas

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

drhelsing posted:

http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/woman-raised-lesbian-couple-i-ached-every-day-dad#.WYe-2rklp-Y.facebook

There is a pretty good comment there I can sum up as "everyone crave for what they don't have, because they think if they would have it, it would be all better". Also she might be honest with her feelings, but people questioned if she isn't used to further the agenda of "same-sex marriage is bad", so it's also good to take that into consideration.

And also, the rule of ANY society is that the socially inferior MUST ALWAYS accept what the socially superior says, and that's ABSOLUTE.

Define socially inferior and socially superior. If you want to go into social norms, it isn't as much the matter of superiority and inferiority, but majority and minority as in, the things that majority of people consider normal and acceptable, become the norm and people who don't agree with them have to force themselves to fit or are ostracized. That being said, I believe, we are better than that and slowly, but surely we will grow up from that out-dated mind-set and people will just focus on living their lives the way they want instead of policing and criticizing others for how they live theirs.

last edited at Aug 13, 2017 8:51AM

joined May 24, 2014

I believe, we are better than that and slowly, but surely we will grow up from that out-dated mind-set and people will just focus on living their lives the way they want instead of policing and criticizing others for how they live theirs.

Ha! You're so naive. That might apply for some societies, but here (mexico) and there it seems that they will never accept it and furthermore, they have become minor celebrities due to their appareance on that TV show so even if they have a child he or she will be endlessly harrased, because you know, celebrities CANNOT have privacy

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

drhelsing posted:

Ha! You're so naive.

I only said I believe we can do better and things will change eventually. I never said it will happen overnight or that it will be fast and easy process. But if people will have attitude like you then sure, it will never change since we have to listen to our superior socially overlords will, because it is absolute. I guess all LGBT+ people can just kill themselves because we are doomed forever anyway, since they will never accept us.

And I come from very regressive country too, but you are right. I forgot 99% of people on earth are idiots that deserve to die. Thanks for reminding me I hate humanity.

last edited at Aug 13, 2017 11:04AM

joined May 24, 2014

And I come from very regressive country too, but you are right. I forgot 99% of people on earth are idiots that deserve to die. Thanks for reminding me I hate humanity.

Aw, we're on the same boat!

Commandershepard13
1071350_639308102760295_1399509523_o
joined Mar 24, 2014

drhelsing needs to shut his fucking mouth...

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Welp did they really go to NY? Those reactions seem like taken out of a book, not so realistic.

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

I second that.

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

Welp did they really go to NY? Those reactions seem like taken out of a book, not so realistic.

I live in a liberal city and a lot of my friends are gay. So, hearing this is pretty interesting because I hoped someone would tell them how it was in some places here. Even where I'm at (TX) people think it'll be conservated. When thats not the case at all with me and my family. If you find people who will truly love you and cherish you then they will definitely become your ally. I came out to my mother and sister and had no issues about. As well as an uncle, who is gay, he never came out of the closet but he felt a bit more relaxed when talking to me after I told him. Although, I had a cousin who lives in California and my aunt kicked him out as well as my other cousin(she came out as bi but I'm not sure if it was for that reason). He's fine now and lives with my other aunts who respect and support lgbt community. It really has to depend in the environment and the people you grow up around with. I'm guessing the families they met have their own network of lgbt people and thats how they didn't seem to have any negative experiences.

joined Oct 13, 2014

"thank you new york!" daaawwww your welcome. now if only living here was cheaper T-T

joined May 24, 2014

I second that.

And you both have no idea what is it like on the real world. It's a jackal eats jackal world outhere and I beleive that those two should settle on adopting a cat, they're as nosy as children and they are WAY less dramatic

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Well, I think they are seeing NY with rose tinted glasses.

"Huh? Why unhappy? Nobody ever told us the child would be unhappy. I feel bad for you". In what parallel world are these lesbians living?

Either they met some very sheltered lesbians, or they were lied to.

Or they made up most of this part to make their point to their readers. "Happens in America".

The reactions, "I have two moms, that's all" "Not blood relation? That doesn't mean we are not family!".... It's straight (heh...) out of an utopian world where gays are not discriminated against. Everything is beautiful and happy.

It can't be the U.S. of today....

If they had been to Netherland, it would have been a bit more believable. They have gay marriage since forever.

last edited at Aug 31, 2017 1:26PM

joined Jan 6, 2017

The reactions, "I have two moms, that's all" "Not blood relation? That doesn't mean we are not family!".... It's straight (heh...) out of an utopian world where gays are not discriminated against. Everything is beautiful and happy.

It can't be the U.S. of today....

If they had been to Netherland, it would have been a bit more believable. They have gay marriage since forever.

NYC's pretty liberal...it's not a utopia, but it certainly isn't the Deep South/Bible Belt.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I don't deny that NYC is probably a very accepting place, but I'm very doubtful that none ever asked them questions about if their kids have no problems because of their family structure, or that their kids never got an earful about it in school or elsewhere. It totally ignores that hardships for unorthodox families, whether gay or not, happen anywhere, all the time.

Also, the 3rd panel of page 104 made me twitch a little. "With two little boys, the cleaning never ends!". Does that imply that with two little girls, they would "behave"? Maybe it's not what was implied, and they just meant "with two children" (or it's a mistranslation), but the devil is in the details.

joined May 1, 2013

I think the chapter is meant to just highlight the differences between the US and Japan, not to necessarily serve as a photographically realistic portrayal of their visit. It might not be believable that NO ONE told that couple their kids will be worse off raised by gay parents, but I definitely believe that the authors were surprised about how rarely that happens in the US compared to what they're used to.

I also think there might be a little translation thing, because I feel like "won't you be worried the kid will be worse off?" might mean something inherently different in Japan than in the US.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

As stated above, it's not that rare that a husband takes the family name of the wife, because they don't want the name to be lost.

I have an acquaintance, French, who married a Japanese and he took her name. As far as Japan is concerned, he's now part of HER family and on her family register. He's now part of the Miyazaki family (That one http://www.miyazaki.org) and so their kids will have her name.

That's fascinating, since one of the biggest arguments people in Japan make agains gay marriage (vs. civil unions) is the all-important registry and how that will inevitably screw it up.

Just goes to show, I'd say.

Gits-innocence4
joined Sep 22, 2013

I second that.

And you both have no idea what is it like on the real world. It's a jackal eats jackal world outhere and I beleive that those two should settle on adopting a cat, they're as nosy as children and they are WAY less dramatic

Dude... Just stop, yeah?

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

As much as I like to admit, that Mexico may be different than other countries - I've no desire to ever visit your country, so no idea what's it like, BUT Mexico is as much the "real world" as every other country in the world is the "real world".

Regarding the NYC visit:
I think that this may be a bit too positive of a view - maybe like someone said before because of the difference to their known Japanese system. On the other hand I think it really depends on the people living in your neighbourhood and the ppl at school. Personally I don't even know the ppl living two houses besides me. If some of them are gay couples living with their (adopted) children, I wouldn't know - and to be honest I personally wouldn't care either. reagarding school, I think it depends on the right education - on both sides. In a open minded country I don't think this would be a really big problem. Of course there will always be a few ppl asking questions, but I think you have to differentiate between ppl asking because they can't accept the situation and ppl who are actually just interested but don't know how to express themselves. While you can talk with the latter and maybe pull them on your side, the others will always be against you. And like one of the couples said: Therefore you need friends as your shield. If you have enough of them you're nearly invincible, while the others get more and more isolated.

last edited at Aug 31, 2017 7:56PM

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

BTW a troll is a troll is a troll is a troll. Obviously someone wants to have fun smearing gay rights and Mexico in the same posts. And this is the single time I will feed the attention.

Since August 2010, same-sex marriages performed within Mexico are recognized by the 31 states without exception, and fundamental spousal rights (such as alimony payments, inheritance rights, and the coverage of spouses by the federal social security system) also apply to same-sex couples across the country

joined May 24, 2014

Since August 2010, same-sex marriages performed within Mexico are recognized by the 31 states without exception, and fundamental spousal rights (such as alimony payments, inheritance rights, and the coverage of spouses by the federal social security system) also apply to same-sex couples across the country

True, but it will be a looooong time before the average people accept it, and also I don't need to smear mexico. The politicians and the average dumbasses are very good at that.

joined May 24, 2014

Dude... Just stop, yeah?

Nah

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

"Think of the Poor Child" indeed. I feel sorry for poor children those have to live and grow with a bunch of stupid myopic parents in chapter 9.

last edited at Aug 31, 2017 10:54PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Dude... Just stop, yeah?

Nah

Yeah. It's walking away time for everyone involved.

To reply you must either login or sign up.