Forum › Goblin Is Very Strong discussion

joined May 25, 2017

This story is really conflicting, on the one hand the characters are very fun and light-hearted and yet at the same time the kind of 'game mechanics' of the world are really dark. Still got to admit it's probably one of my favourite ongoing series.

joined May 23, 2015

That's kind of the point, juxtaposing a lighthearted irreverence with really dark and serious stuff, creating existential dark humor that satirizes the absurdities its world.

Sort of like Brazil, but set in a fantasy RPG instead of a corporate distopia. And hopefully a nicer ending.

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

I feel like, in order to understand this story, you have to look at it in terms of schoolyard dynamics. Wasabi is a bullied child who has developed a deep-seated cynicism towards life and discovered that she would rather bully than be bullied and now goes around beating up the other kids and stealing their lunch money. A new student transfers in from abroad and discovers that Wasabi still has some semblance of good in that she leaves her some money for the bus fare and optimistically wants to be her friend. In chapter five, another girl comes along and tries to play at being the better delinquent only to be forced out of it in a somewhat cruel act of mercy.

This is really a story about a cynical bully who is afraid of letting herself have a heart again because she now associates feelings with weakness. Unfortunately for her, she does still care deep down and can't fully squash it.

last edited at Jun 1, 2017 7:04PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Well now, we all have our own interpretations of the true, deeper meaning of this manga. But in the end, there's one thing I'm sure we can all agree on. The rock, if you will, that remains constant through any analysis.

Goblin is very strong.

joined May 23, 2015

Well now, we all have our own interpretations of the true, deeper meaning of this manga. But in the end, there's one thing I'm sure we can all agree on. The rock, if you will, that remains constant through any analysis.

Goblin is very strong.

I dunno, she's kind of weak to helpless enemies on the verge of despair.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Goblin is very strong.

I dunno, she's kind of weak to helpless enemies on the verge of despair.

But isn't letting people go so they may be can attack you later instead of crushing them for good right away a sign of strength, too?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

So many delicious gaming references in this chapter. :D Marauders of Satan went right on top of my get-for-holidays list. :D

joined Apr 30, 2014

lol, "Law-san"

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

Skyrim

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Awww that cute moment between Demon lord and Goblin-san at the end. Lulz fanfare farts would be awesome. Wish everyone's farts did that.

last edited at Jul 1, 2017 11:56PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I think Demon Lord likes the fact that Goblin is very strong, since now he has somebody to be buds with.

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

I think Demon Lord likes the fact that Goblin is very strong, since now he has somebody to be buds with.

Agreed! It's really cute. Also, she is clearly holding back with the adventurers since she and the demon lord sunk an island during a fight lol.

obssesednuker
joined Feb 11, 2014

Arrow to the knee joke...

joined Jun 3, 2014

When she said, "I smell poop", I got a little concerned there but since it's apparently just the a Japanese phase I guess it's fine...

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Mmmh, I smell a yandere.

Maxresdefault%20-%20copy
joined Mar 9, 2017

And I thought that arrow to the knee joke died 5 years ago.

joined Sep 25, 2015

I love it! It's like a light hearted Overlord. Wasabi is like overseer level. I hope something happens between Wasabi and Mimit since Aki is strictly friend tier.

joined Oct 15, 2014

LMAO!! Skyrim is still my no.1 fav game of all time. That joke never gets old!!!

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

It did. Now it's just bones.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It did. Now it's just bones.

But it feels so light now!

joined Jun 30, 2015

Why do I feel such a strong urge to slash him?

Okay.

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

At first I was kind of worried about what Yandere Succubus was going to do but then it occurred to me: "What IS Yandere Succubus going to do?" Aki has almost unlimited lives and Wasabi is on her side every other day. Unless Mimit plans to lock Aki in an underground BDSM dungeon or something, there's not a whole lot she can do.

joined May 23, 2015

At first I was kind of worried about what Yandere Succubus was going to do but then it occurred to me: "What IS Yandere Succubus going to do?" Aki has almost unlimited lives and Wasabi is on her side every other day. Unless Mimit plans to lock Aki in an underground BDSM dungeon or something, there's not a whole lot she can do.

She's also as weak as goblin is strong, so if anything she herself would be the one in danger.

Which would give Aki a chance to learn about the monster permadeath and suddenly her offhand wondering if there was another way to solve things that was casually alluded to in this chapter suddenly gets a lot more serious...

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

It's a secret to everyone

Everybody, mou!

Well anyway, there sure were a lot of references in that one. Goblin continues to be strong. And no one even died!

joined May 23, 2015

It's a secret to everyone

Everybody, mou!

Well anyway, there sure were a lot of references in that one. Goblin continues to be strong. And no one even died!

To be fair, the Japanese was also slightly off from the original quote.

Maybe that was a typo, though. We'll see when the volume comes out.

To reply you must either login or sign up.