Forum › Hana and Hina After School discussion

Malibu Uploader
Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

@Harle
Moon version? What's most important is that we support the author to the fullest extent if we enjoy her works. After I read the first volume on DS, I went out and bought the first TWO volumes on ebookjapan. Even though I scanlated the last two volumes, I plan on buying all three vols from seven seas after they're all released. I want her to know that I really enjoy the stuff she writes, and I want her to make more!

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

More to the point, you want the publishers to know that they can make money off of yuri.

3089135_1354253222168.89res_320_317
joined Apr 1, 2016

@Harle
Moon version? What's most important is that we support the author to the fullest extent if we enjoy her works. After I read the first volume on DS, I went out and bought the first TWO volumes on ebookjapan. Even though I scanlated the last two volumes, I plan on buying all three vols from seven seas after they're all released. I want her to know that I really enjoy the stuff she writes, and I want her to make more!

Moon version means he wants to buy the japanese version.
I don't know where the term originated but Japanese = Moon Language and any kind of Japanese Sign = Moon Runes.
Mostly hear that term on 4chan so I'd suspect that as place of origin.

Anyways, thanks for doing these, even though they're already done roughly. The care put into the better editing and translation is definitely appreciated.
Literally every chapter of this gives me diabetes one after the other.

last edited at Jun 25, 2017 10:21PM

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

I don't know where the term originated but Japanese = Moon Language and any kind of Japanese Sign = Moon Runes.

Pretty sure it's originally from The Tick. He was fighting some ninjas (as one does) and commented "I don't understand your crazy moon language".

Severa%20icon
joined Sep 3, 2016

this chapter made my heart go doki doki

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Vankomycin posted:

More to the point, you want the publishers to know that they can make money off of yuri.

Yea, that is the issue. If you don't buy something because of poor quality, all it will tell publisher is "it doesn't sell" and can actually have opposite effect of them releasing less.

Vankomycin posted:

Pretty sure it's originally from The Tick. He was fighting some ninjas (as one does) and commented "I don't understand your crazy moon language".

Sounds like something Tick would do. Man I miss it, that cartoon was awesome!

SPOON!

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

I should mention that I am no longer the translator for this series. The reason I am mentioned as translator is that I had already translated the first half of the chapter before the other scanlation was posted. This rest of the translation for this chapter is based on the scanlation which was posted here earlier. Credits will be updated.

Together_forever
joined Jul 6, 2013

RIP my heart. That last panel was just too cute.

I should mention that I am no longer the translator for this series.

Thanks for your work!

last edited at Jun 26, 2017 6:59PM

Lkjhgf
joined May 9, 2016

My god, im in tears

18160285_1855872217963427_5205910394689814528_a
joined Aug 31, 2014

yoshaaaaa!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

My god, im in tears

I got teary-eyed too. And that really does not happen often from manga, not even yuri manga. The maestro's still got it.

Clipboard00
joined Oct 30, 2015

Oh, boy...

My heart...

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

...I died and came back to life. This is IT. Ahhh, so good.

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

I wonder if all the people who are asking for a better quality know that they can purchase it in english and yeah, see things like this photo it's just like "eeeeehw" but it's still a good work in general
PD: I don't get who someone can name the japanese version like "moon version" if japanese is writting "日本語", where the 日 means "day, sun", 本 means "origin" and 語 menas "idiom". Japan is writting 日本 and that's why some people call that country "Land of the rising Sun", so call a japanese version like "moon" has no sense xD

last edited at Jun 30, 2017 4:19PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Polioro posted:

I wonder if all the people who are asking for a better quality know that they can purchase it in english

That is assuming the shipping cost isn't the same or higher than actual manga. And if I'm going to buy manga, I'd want to at least buy it in my native language. I'm fine with reading it initially in english though. Also the point is kinda that you do can, but the quality of official release is supposedly not good.

PD: I don't get who someone can name the japanese version like "moon version" if japanese is writting "日本語", where the 日 means "day, sun", 本 means "origin" and 語 menas "idiom". Japan is writting 日本 and that's why some people call that country "Land of the rising Sun", so call a japanese version like "moon" has no sense xD

It's just a joke.

last edited at Jun 30, 2017 4:39PM

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

That is assuming the shipping cost isn't the same or higher than actual manga. And if I'm going to buy manga, I'd want to at least buy it in my native language. I'm fine with reading it initially in english though. Also the point is kinda that you do can, but the quality of official release is supposedly not good.

But this scanlation is in english and I'm talking about that exist a fisic edition of this in that language. I preffer buy the manga in one of my native language too but I wasn't talking about that.

It's just a joke.

I think it would had more sense if it was "sun version" but hey, I don't play any of the games (?)

last edited at Jul 1, 2017 8:57AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Polioro posted:

But this scanlation is in english and I'm talking about that exist a fisic edition of this in that language.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but the point was you said you wonder if people asking for better quality knows they can buy it in english. They do and they don't want to, because the quality of official release is bad, hence they want scanlation to go on, because its quality is better. I'm seriously not sure what your point was.

It's just a joke.

I think it would had more sense if it was "sun version" but hey, I don't play any of the games (?)

Do you know how joke works? It's not about making sense. Joke is supposed to be funny. Comparing kanji (japanese signs) to moon language is funny because, you are saying it's something totally alien to us and you need special people aka moon interpreters (translators) to even understand it. Nobody is going to look at actually meaning of word japanese and try to make up a joke based on it. Also apparently the joke originated from The Tick, so go blame them for it.

last edited at Jul 1, 2017 9:20AM

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but the point was you said you wonder if people asking for better quality knows they can buy it in english. They do and they don't want to, because the quality of official release is bad, hence they want scanlation to go on, because its quality is better. I'm seriously not sure what your point was.

I don't think the official release will be more bad that this scanlation because this is via a scanner and they have the raws via PDF/other file of the same type, other thing is the translation. I know the word "scanlation" meaning both, scan and translation, but all I read is more for the bad quality of the scan than the translation, and this translation is bad so, so yeah, that's my point. It's like the people who blame Pordede for be always down and don't want purchase Netflix or HBO.

It's just a joke.

Do you know how joke works? It's not about making sense. Joke is supposed to be funny. Comparing kanji (japanese signs) to moon language is funny because, you are saying it's something totally alien to us and you need special people aka moon interpreters (translators) to even understand it. Nobody is going to look at actually meaning of word japanese and try to make up a joke based on it. Also apparently the joke originated from The Tick, so go blame them for it.

Actually what I said was a joke too xD relax man, for me it would be more funny if they call them sun version. That's humor, somebody like one thing and somebody like other

last edited at Jul 1, 2017 9:39AM

Malibu Uploader
Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

I don't think the official release will be more bad that this scanlation because this is via a scanner and they have the raws via PDF/other file of the same type, other thing is the translation. I know the word "scanlation" meaning both, scan and translation, but all I read is more for the bad quality of the scan than the translation, and this translation is bad so, so yeah, that's my point.

The images we use for this series are NOT obtained via a scanner, we have essentially the same quality that official releases have, but with slightly lower res images. I'd love to have you QC our chapters before we release them, will you have 2-5 hours you can lend me where you can critique and discuss our work? This will be unpaid of course. I'm always up for improving our work, so please offer any suggestions for how we can become better. Remember though, we are all regular people who still have full time jobs, and we do this on the side, for fun, with no pay.

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

The images we use for this series are NOT obtained via a scanner, we have essentially the same quality that official releases have, but with slightly lower res images. I'd love to have you QC our chapters before we release them, will you have 2-5 hours you can lend me where you can critique and discuss our work? This will be unpaid of course. I'm always up for improving our work, so please offer any suggestions for how we can become better. Remember though, we are all regular people who still have full time jobs, and we do this on the side, for fun, with no pay.

Woops sorry if I offended you, that doesn't was my intention ^^", I was just saying that, in comparation, I don't think the official releases have a worst translation, because you are amateurs and them (in theory) are paid for that (sometimes I doubt that xD). I have others mangas of the same company and I don't see it that worse, so I don't get why people are bambling that much this scanlation if, except some countries (I'm not from EEUU and can get it easily via amazon.es) can get the official version, and helping the author, whitout so much problem. Just get on my nerves people who want all free and with a 9183476983421759823 quality.
PD: How do you get the files without scan? o.o I thinked that was the only way

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Polioro posted:

I don't think the official releases have a worst translation, because you are amateurs and them (in theory) are paid for that (sometimes I doubt that xD).

Just because someone is paid, doesn't mean they are doing better job. In fact most fan translations actually put way more effort into it than "professional" translators. Some of subtitles for movies that were in cinemas here were translated half-assed making you wonder how the hell did they get paid for it.

last edited at Jul 1, 2017 3:04PM

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

Polioro posted:

I don't think the official releases have a worst translation, because you are amateurs and them (in theory) are paid for that (sometimes I doubt that xD).

Just because someone is paid, doesn't mean they are doing better job. In fact most fan translations actually put way more effort into it than "professional" translators. Some of subtitles for movies that were in cinemas here were translated half-assed making you wonder how the hell did they get paid for it.

Usually stems from money. Just because translators are being paid doesn't mean they're being paid well. When they aren't, it tends to show.

When a scanlator picks up a project for free, they do so because they have at least some inherent interest in the subject. So there's an implicit guarantee of effort being put into the work.

last edited at Jul 1, 2017 3:46PM

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

Usually stems from money. Just because translators are being paid doesn't mean they're being paid well. When they aren't, it tends to show.

When a scanlator picks up a project for free, they do so because they have at least some inherent interest in the subject. So there's an implicit guarantee of effort being put into the work.

That's exactly why I said "sometimes I doubt that" xD I agree with you, I think that if you aren't pay so much you won't do doble check for example, and other thing is the time: you ned to have it in x day, and you'll tend to do better some jobs you get paid good at least than other which aren't that good. That kinda suc*s sometimes but it's who usually works I guess, sometimes scanlations are better even when I think the rule is the official is better (or that should be the normal xD)

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

Things to add:

The flip side of this is when translators are paid well, or just happen to be interested in a project they get handed, cool things tend to happen.

Having interest and putting forth effort doesn't necessarily mean the scanlator has the ability to produce good work. They may like the subject, but they may or may not have the skills, resources, and/or experience to do it justice.

last edited at Jul 1, 2017 5:02PM

ZuljinRaynor
Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Relevant I guess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo

Translation is not an easy thing. Plus, the question arises of audience and style. Some people want word for word translation, while other people want something that sounds natural.

Compare Metal Gear Solid on PS1 vs Gamecube. PS1 script is a localization translation while the Gamecube one is a more word for word translation so some stuff sounds awkward in English.

last edited at Jul 1, 2017 8:54PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.