Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

joined Mar 28, 2017

very impossible.. how come that Seju character was born unplanned when the "getting caught" scene of ch56 was planned waaaaay before the serialisation began. (official source).
season 2, review:
http://imgur.com/a/zLKPX

It is possible. They said (sumin) getting caught was planned, but they didn't say she was planned to be caught with Seju... could have been with Ms. Choi.

Regardless of whether Seju was an unplanned child or not, I am glad they made her, love her and all her flaws.

Screen%20shot%202017-09-05%20at%2014.18.21
joined Feb 4, 2017

hlama

It is possible. They said (sumin) getting caught was planned, but they didn't say she was planned to be caught with Seju... could have been with Ms. Choi.

hehehe.. the significance of getting caught isn't a mere sexual cheating. The story behind why Sumin cheated in the first place is truly significant and what led us to the third season. If Sumin cheated with a mere Ms. Choi for example.. then the effect would die out by ch68 on worst/ simplest estimation and understanding of the situation.

btw, they also said this: Seju's involvement was necessary :D
so, they didn't plan it at all with whatever girl.. but they wanted and planned it to be Seju in the first place (before the publication of course)

last edited at Jun 22, 2017 11:11PM

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

yoonie are you team blonding on me ? XD

Yes, I am. Is it working, loll?

joined Feb 4, 2017

yoonie are you team blonding on me ? XD

Yes, I am. Is it working, loll?

hehehe I prepared a reply.. just because XD. you almost fooled me

joined Feb 4, 2017

yoonie, is obviously team blonding on me.. but here is some clues in case someone was curious:

Hmmm, I believe what TG meant is SuminxSungji was created first, then Seju was created later on but before the publication of the story xD. I mean, all three were created before the publication but SuminxSungji was out first, then Seju the last.

where is the resource?.. mmhm who brought Sungji to work under Sumin in the first place and for what reason.
(Seju bought the company, made Sumin a team leader in her young age even Ms. choi was surprised -and also her colleague Mr. Kim- not only that.. she selected Sungji carefully and interviewed her personally.
http://imgur.com/a/poUli
all this was given from the very beginning (ask yourself why did the writer do that.. what's the message) .. if a reader failed to see Seju's role, they missed what the story is about.. I suggest a reread.

You can even see the order with their birthdays xD, Seju is born the latest in the year xD. So I think it's safe to say that Seju is their last child xD, the youngest, lolllll.

well, ch15.5 description Sumin and Seju were 34, "Sumin reached 34 in ch25 to be specific" so now Seju reached 35. she is older.
trivia:
Seju's birthday = the writer's birthday
Sungji's birthday= 2 days difference from Gaji's " the artist"
Sumin's birthday origin (unknown)

But I also think that Seju's role was not as significant as she is right now at first or maybe she actually was created to be an evil third wheel but got changed later xD. I personally think at first, she was just a mere third wheel for the main couple who added more dramas for the couple(the cheating) but as the story progresses, her role is increasing the level of importance xDDDD, probably simply because she got too much love, lollll. The ending might not be changed but the events and how it led to those events might get changed so increasing Seju's significance in the story is not that hard XDDDD I believe in SuminxSungji ending after all, lol.

Seju's effect never disappeared from ch1 to ch84, even during the most intimate moments between Sumin and any of her Ex's.. there will be a love triangle regardless of whether Seju appeared or not.. examples:

• chapter 32, during a simple coffee order scene.. Sumin is spacing out,
  • ch36 during their date in the amusement park..
  • ch52 during the scene that Sumin was drying Sungji's hair (check that scene next to the flashback of ch2) http://imgur.com/a/Hupmg
  • even currently in ch81 - I could swear that Sumin was having past memories at least twice given her facial expression.

It's a healing story.. to heal all the three characters, YES even Sungji. This is not pulse and not a falling in love from first sight story nor a simple clicè of a protagonist vs. antagonist

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

Note that I'm talking this with mindset of SuminxSungji endgame xDDDD

where is the resource?.. mmhm who brought Sungji to work under Sumin in the first place and for what reason.
(Seju bought the company, made Sumin a team leader in her young age even Ms. choi was surprised -and also her colleague Mr. Kim- not only that.. she selected Sungji carefully and interviewed her personally.
http://imgur.com/a/poUli
all this was given from the very beginning (ask yourself why did the writer do that.. what's the message) .. if a reader failed to see Seju's role, they missed what the story is about.. I suggest a reread.

I think they created a story between 2 people in love first, so SuminxSungji was created first and to make the story more thrilling, Seju was created later on. The plot was created and completed AFTER Seju was created? I think? To me, they want to write a story between two girls so SuminxSungji came to their mind first, Seju later and we had a trio for the story

well, ch15.5 description Sumin and Seju were 34, "Sumin reached 34 in ch25 to be specific" so now Seju reached 35. she is older.
trivia:
Seju's birthday = the writer's birthday
Sungji's birthday= 2 days difference from Gaji's " the artist"
Sumin's birthday origin (unknown)

No, for the 15.5 introduction, both of them are 34, but Sumin is officially 34 in chap 25 while Seju is officially 34 in this chap, so no, Seju is younger than Sumin.

You can see the timeline, both of them was introduced to be 34 but none of them actually is 34 yet, just enter their 34th year on Earth, lollll. Sumin has her birthday first, Seju later XDDDDD,

Seju's effect never disappeared from ch1 to ch84, even during the most intimate moments between Sumin and any of her Ex's.. there will be a love triangle regardless of whether Seju appeared or not.. examples:

• chapter 32, during a simple coffee order scene.. Sumin is spacing out,
  • ch36 during their date in the amusement park..
  • ch52 during the scene that Sumin was drying Sungji's hair (check that scene next to the flashback of ch2) http://imgur.com/a/Hupmg
  • even currently in ch81 - I could swear that Sumin was having past memories at least twice given her facial expression.

Yes, Seju's effect is necessary, she has to be there for the drama and throughout the story but that doesn't make her a protagonist xDDDD. Honestly, its hard to say she's a protagonist atm, she's more of an antagonist even now. To make her role grow from the antagonistic side, I think we need one last drama which decides everything xDDDD and I'm patiently waittttttinggggg forrrrr ittttttt.

It's a healing story.. to heal all the three characters, YES even Sungji. This is not pulse and not a falling in love from first sight story nor a simple clicè of a protagonist vs. antagonist

maybe but to me, its harder to make a healing for Seju than SuminxSungji atm, xDDDDD. Cause honestly, a healing for Seju, is not a healing if Seju ended up alone...again. Like someone has said, this story is about love and healing with love, if this one character who loves most and sacrifice everything for love cant have a lover at the end, got an open ending where you could say She'll leave, continue her journey alone and maybe somewhere in the future she'll find love, but as of now, she's still alone in this world. That's not healing, that's just teaching her how to accept her fate as a loner and continuing living her life alone independently without Sumin, looollllll

last edited at Jun 23, 2017 3:43AM

joined Jun 23, 2017

First time commenting here, but I have been reading this forum since chapter 82 came out. The end of that chapter revealed a lot.

This manhwa has the potential to be one of the most well thought out and well developed love stories in its genre, if not the most. If it does not turn out that way, then we are giving the writer too much credit, unfortunately.

The ending usually makes or breaks a story. Regardless of your team, I try to think about how this manhwa can end with most, if not all, of its plot points tied up. How would this be possible? Definitely not if next chapter is the last, unless it is extremely long.

If it is a Sungji and Sumin ending, then, unless they find a way to tie up everything on Seju's end, a lot would be unaccounted for. If Seju does find happiness on her own, what would happen to the assassin? There is still the possibility that the assassin might do more damage to her. What about her family constantly berating her? She would still have to face them all the time. The pure, "unhateable" character wins in the end. But what would happen to Sungji and Sumin in the future? Can they really be together forever? Their relationship is not perfect either.

If it is a Seju and Sumin ending, then Team Gaji has already touched upon it in an earlier chapter. I think Nora and Foxy Lady already know what this might be. How can the story be made final with no open ended possibilities? Team Gaji already mentioned it. The ring revelation at the end of chapter 82 made me think, has Sumin misunderstood Seju this whole time? What would happen if she learns the truth?

There are a few things holding me back on declaring a "winner" right now. Many of them are from these "unknown sources" unfortunately, like those mentioned previously, and even one where the writer supposedly said that Sumin was not the only way Seju could find happiness. Also, being a jaded reader of trying to find a manga or manhwa without cliches, I find one thing in common among a lot of them. The first character or possible love interest introduced is usually the one that is the end game. The one that is loved by most and the couple that is the most popular wins out in the end.

Let's hope Team Gaji does not succumb to the most popular couple to satisfy most of their readers. They can easily throw something together for the Sungji and Sumin ending to make more sense. "Fate" was mentioned in chapter 2 and the idea of "being together forever" has been mentioned a few times later, with the latest in chapter 72. Could that not have any significance? Maybe, to be honest. We do not know until it is officially over.

I went into this manhwa not expecting much. The "yuri" or "GL" genre has a lot to be desired. I read through most of it without picking a side. Sungji and Sumin's progression was cute, I had nothing against them. I did not hate Seju either, because her love for Sumin was never a question and Sumin's love for her was equally endearing. I speed read through this manhwa with little expectations, missing many key elements, until I got to chapter 27. I stopped and actually had to reread previous chapters to fully understand what happened.

The backstory of a character is one I would assume a writer puts a lot of thought into. Seju and Sumin's backstory is so well-developed that it is difficult to picture them being separately conceived. Their lives are so intertwined at this point and they are not who they are now without the other. Sungji's backstory is not nearly as complex, to be honest. Even her family life is relatively simple.

If the most popular couple wins at the end, then so be it. I do not hate them, they do have their cute moments. However, that means I have put too much thought into this story. The end would not be as rewarding. If, after all they have been through, Seju and Sumin finally come together, then it would be hard to ever break that bond.

last edited at Jun 23, 2017 2:46AM

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

mpgpeg

Welcome to the thread. Wow, I like your post, please comment more xDDDDDD

If, after all they have been through, Seju and Sumin finally come together, then it would be hard to ever break that bond.

I agree. That would officially make them the unbreakable couple, no one and nothing could break them anymore.

joined Jun 23, 2017

Welcome to the thread. Wow, I like your post, please comment more xDDDDDD

Thank you. That means a lot.

joined Jun 6, 2016

I agree. That would officially make them the unbreakable couple, no one and nothing could break them anymore.

Death can break them apart. :p

last edited at Jun 23, 2017 5:30AM

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

Death can break them apart. :p

LOL, you got me there, LOLLLLLL. But if in the end, Seju really dies for real, I'm gonna call you out for jinxing it, LOLLLLLLLL

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

very impossible.. how come that Seju character was born unplanned when the "getting caught" scene of ch56 was planned waaaaay before the serialisation began. (official source).
season 2, review:
http://imgur.com/a/zLKPX

The story was originally about Sumin and Sungji. Seju was added later and she wasn't planned beforehand. They said this during first arc. Serialization and idea of story is different. When coming up with a very basic story and characters, way before even starting to serialize it, all of the characters are not the same. Stories and the details come up next. They couldn't have planned all 80+ chapters beforehand.

What I'm trying to say is, Sumin and Sungji came first and then they added Seju and the cheating situation. It could also be that they didn't plan on giving Seju such a big role in the story, but it happened. Which is common thing in storytelling.

last edited at Jun 23, 2017 12:37PM

joined Jun 13, 2017

This series has two threads about and both are very long.
Could someone give a quick run down on why it's so popular?

joined May 8, 2017

Seo

you are a genuis,thank you so so much :) ,it made sense

anytime.. I'm not a genius, just invested. Feel free to ask anything

joined Feb 4, 2017

welcome mpgpeg, what a legendary first comment XD.

This manhwa has the potential to be one of the most well thought out and well developed love stories in its genre, if not the most. If it does not turn out that way, then we are giving the writer too much credit, unfortunately.

I was discussing earlier with Foxy lady how lezhin did WDTFS bad by narrowing its genre to yuri.. in fact this is a mature drama that happens to revolve around women, its depth, content and narrative method are all foreign to "yuri" .. "yuri" label attracts specific audience with specific expectations.

As for the ending, I don't know if every implicit point would be explained explicitly later.. but what I know right now.. that we have seen the ending many time already "implicitly"..

as how the Manhwa goes in loops into other loops.. I agree with what you said about fate.. I even discussed it earlier.. deep inside Sumin and Seju, they find each other fated (ch2, ch27 & ch45).. but if one wants to understand Sungji and Sumin relationship they need to take a look at Sangmi break up scene in ch23.

Let's hope Team Gaji does not succumb to the most popular couple to satisfy most of their readers. They can easily throw something together for the Sungji and Sumin ending to make more sense.

in course of 84 chapters, I never saw a writer who is so unapologetic about their story telling as Team Gaji (and well, George R.R Martin).. they won't give us what we want the way we want it.. but they always tell their own story instead. Rest assured, it won't be a regretful ending.

The backstory of a character is one I would assume a writer puts a lot of thought into. Seju and Sumin's backstory is so well-developed that it is difficult to picture them being separately conceived. Their lives are so intertwined at this point and they are not who they are now without the other.

again, their investment in the backstory means that the ending will be justified by the beginning.

I was discussing earlier with Foxy lady why was it a BAD idea for Sumin and Seju to get back together back in ch64.
understanding "why" will be the biggest justification for both: their breakup in ch27 and for the ending as well.

let me know if you are interested in longer explanation of this point.

joined Feb 4, 2017

yoonie0104
as we discussed earlier, I might not be able to prove it.. but it falls naturally to me that Seju is few months older than Sumin. Sumin is the one who fell in love first and took the initiative step.. but it was Seju who bought the rings.

why? mmhm.. it could be their earlier flashbacks.. Seju's way of taking care of Sumin and Sumin's admiration towards Seju.. how Seju calls and holds Sumin all gave me indications on who is older.. even the driving license, Seju got it first.

since I mentioned this with you, the Cotton Candy scene in ch36 showed us Sumin and Seju before they even confessed their feelings or even had their first kiss together. Their reactions and shyness show that.

last point, "protagonist vs antagonist" is a simplistic childish even way of thinking to say the least. ch79 and ch83 should explain why there is no antagonist in this story. The healing won't be giving someone another relationship added to their 31.. but to help all the three figure out what went wrong all these years.. including Sungji who has Dawoon somewhere within her all the time even if we can't see it clearly.. but Dawoon was there from ch1 to ch84.. Foxy lady already explained this part.. but it may require even more scenes to prove it once and for all for the less overthinkers XD.
right now I will give those hints:
1- First impression
2- Patting, who does it to Sungji? notice: Sungji is surprised when Sumin did it in ch37.

3- The Question, The answer

many many more.. but I got lazy once more :P

joined Feb 4, 2017

MacySan

at least this statement:

Team Gaji themselves have said that the story was originally about Sumin and Sungji, and then they added Seju. Seju was born unplanned :P

is really underestimating. And that the whole story was planned before the serialisation.

When coming up with a very basic story and characters, way before even starting to serialize it, all of the characters are not the same . Stories and the details come up next.

joined Jun 23, 2017

I've reading this for quite a while now but I just realised that I was reading a kinda poor translation, also the scans weren't hq so i came here for help, what are the best sources for reading this?

joined Feb 4, 2017

prosser

https://www.lezhin.com/en/comic/wdfs

With exeption to ch83 (it was badly translated)

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

MacySan

at least this statement:

Team Gaji themselves have said that the story was originally about Sumin and Sungji, and then they added Seju. Seju was born unplanned :P

is really underestimating. And that the whole story was planned before the serialisation.

When coming up with a very basic story and characters, way before even starting to serialize it, all of the characters are not the same . Stories and the details come up next.

I was joking in the "Seju was born unplanned". It was an exaggeration of the fact that Seju's character, according to what they've said for her and the context about her role for the story in the beginning, was not meant to have such a big role.

Example, when Lezhin was promoting their Yuri mangas, they had Sumin x Sungji for wdtfs. Like Love Doctor had that blonde x brunette main couple etc.

To me all these clues, as well as Sumin's and Sungji persistent fluffy moments until even now, makes mw believe it was always about them. And the fact that TG had said this about Sejus role too adds up.
They have been building a whole fan base around Teamblonde. Maybe people in this forum mostly lean towards Seju, but that's not the general case outside.

To me it would be better love story if Sumin and Seju ended up together, after all what happened to them. They have a special connection that TeamBlonde didn't manage to create that for me personally.
We could take a chapter and really analyze the heck out of it. And that's what is nice with stories. People can see one thing from different perspectives, according to their own beliefs and feelings.
But, this doesn't mean that when the author was writing it they had the same thoughts as the reader though. It is subjective.

last edited at Jun 23, 2017 3:42PM

joined Feb 4, 2017

MacySan
well, I agree. I went crazy enough to look for all the interviews that I could find about WDTFS.. even used Korean and Google Translation.. I even read something funny like how TG wanted to make a comedy story.. till now I couldn't find anything about which character came up first or last.

I found something however, about how the writer was inspired by one of the Female bosses she saw for Seju's role. But that's about it till now.

It's funny, I never considered myself in the so called "Team-Pink".. hold on, I'm not a hypocrite.. but I like to ride solo XD

joined Jun 23, 2017

MacySan

Example, when Lezhin was promoting their Yuri mangas, they had Sumin x Sungji for wdtfs. Like Love Doctor had that blonde x brunette main couple etc.

To me all these clues, as well as Sumin's and Sungji persistent fluffy moments until even now, makes mw believe it was always about them. And the fact that TG had said this about Sejus role too adds up.
They have been building a whole fan base around Teamblonde. Maybe people in this forum mostly lean towards Seju, but that's not the general case outside.

To me it would be better love story if Sumin and Seju ended up together, after all what happened to them. They have a special connection that TeamBlonde didn't manage to create that for me personally.

I agree completely with everything you have said in the quote above. If it was always Sungji and Sumin from the beginning, then as a love story, it is a very common one. Just in the Lezhin app alone, the story of an experienced lover and a completely naive and inexperienced one has been done over and over again. The difference between WDTFS and these other stories is the development of the past lover. Team Gaji gives us plenty of reasons to root for the reunion of the two and there is a lot of evidence and even a clear ending if it does turn out that way.

Nevertheless, I am still holding my breath on this one. I will learn my lesson next time around before I get too invested in the love story of the "not-so-obvious" end couple.

last edited at Jun 23, 2017 7:47PM

joined Jun 23, 2017

welcome mpgpeg, what a legendary first comment XD.

Thank you, Nora. I have enjoyed reading this forum.

As for the ending, I don't know if every implicit point would be explained explicitly later.. but what I know right now.. that we have seen the ending many time already "implicitly"..

as how the Manhwa goes in loops into other loops.. I agree with what you said about fate.. I even discussed it earlier.. deep inside Sumin and Seju, they find each other fated (ch2, ch27 & ch45).. but if one wants to understand Sungji and Sumin relationship they need to take a look at Sangmi break up scene in ch23.

I believe we are thinking of the same possible ending. If it does end Sungji and Sumin, then I wonder what would come of it. Just leave it hanging? Maybe Team Gaji has something in mind.
That break up scene is very telling in chapter 23 of Sumin's mindset. The only real fight Sungji and Sumin had was after the cheating scene. The authors have not given me a reason to believe their relationship can withstand everything and anything yet. Even if they find a way to get Seju out of the picture, again, can they really last forever?

again, their investment in the backstory means that the ending will be justified by the beginning.

I wish I had your confidence. You always back up your arguments with direct references to the chapters. Although some may be over-thinking, even you are aware of this, other arguments regarding how Team Gaji is telling the story as a whole are justified. The "ring" has been a subject touched upon multiple times. It has a very special place in Sumin's heart throughout her life. Let's see if that comes to fruition.

I was discussing earlier with Foxy lady why was it a BAD idea for Sumin and Seju to get back together back in ch64.
understanding "why" will be the biggest justification for both: their breakup in ch27 and for the ending as well.

let me know if you are interested in longer explanation of this point.

Yes, can you elaborate please?

last edited at Jun 23, 2017 5:11PM

joined Feb 4, 2017

mpgpeg

mmhm, Sungji currently has a very valuable information about the ring (ch53) not only that.. but it will connect the dots related to ch27 and 84
☛ the way Sungji forgot the ring will open the gates of the bartender incident once more and further trust issues between Sumin and Seju.. we already have those issues now presented on the table from ch82 and ch84

Although some may be over-thinking, even you are aware of this, other arguments regarding how Team Gaji is telling the story as a whole are justified.

hehehe.. well, I don't even discuss every crazy idea I have just to keep as real as I can XD.

The "ring" has been a subject touched upon multiple times. It has a very special place in Sumin's heart throughout her life. Let's see if that comes to fruition.

mmmhm, interesting.. you and I aren't very much different indeed.
The ring represents promises that they keep.. the moment Sumin lost her ring, her relationship collapsed.. the moment Sungji lost her's, her relationship collapsed. But did you notice? in ch53 as Sumin knows that Sungji lost her's, she immediately takes the ring off and the chapter ends with both, the resignation letter and the ring on the table. what that panel represents, is up to the reader's interpretation. The area of the ring is beautifully explained by Foxy lady I hope she adds on this point more.

Yes, can you elaborate please?

previous discussion lead me to believe that Sumin and Seju were doomed to breakup back then even if the bartender incident did not happen.. it was a matter of time. No matter how much they love/d each other, they had structural issues within their relationship:

1. Inferiority Complex (Sumin) ch56
  2. Insecurity (both, but more severe in Seju) ch56, 72, 26
  3. Trust (Sumin ⇾ Seju) ch10 (subtly, Seju seeing Sumin's parents take off)

➨ The bartender incident brought the worse of them all at once.. all the troubles they have.. it was like:

• Sumin: I expected you to cheat, no way I'm enough for you, I'm too ordinary.
  • Seju: well, I expected you to hate me and leave me in the first place!

The bartender wasn't the real reason for their break up, but the trigger of their issues.

these issues were there even before the bartender issue came up, their breaking up was inevitable.

the question now, why didn't they get back together in ch64? why is't a good decision from TG ?

because, they would've broken up AGAIN same issues, same weaknesses.

in ch57, Seju was finally able to identify what was wrong about Sumin.. but we still have two issues on the table: 1- Trust 2- insecurity

Guess what Team Gaji are doing through these chapters?
we have on the table now: the ring, the scarf and Seju's insecurity

1. Trust ➔ Scarf, ring (ch82) and possibly the bartender incident (ch84)
  2. insecurity ➔ ch83

Bottom Line*

Seju and Sumin were bound to fail 10 years ago whether the bartender issue happened or not because of their preexisted issues. If they were to get back together, their relationship would be shaky again given the same reasons existed 10 years ago. By now, the story is telling us that the greater the love, the greater the responsibility and love alone can't guarantee the survival of the relationship.

joined Feb 4, 2017

mah, I have some ideas on top of my mind about SungjiXSumin.. but for some reason.. this requires more than two cigarettes XD

To reply you must either login or sign up.