Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

joined Jun 23, 2017

Nora89, great job summarizing their story. This is what I meant by a justified analysis. The reason the ending of chapter 82 lead me to this forum was because I myself began thinking along those lines. I was late to this story, I maybe got into it in when the chapter count was in the mid-70s, so very recent. I have been analyzing this in my own mind before turning to this forum. Trust and insecurity are the things holding Sumin and Seju back, respectively. With the ring misunderstanding on the table now, I could picture how these issues can possibly get resolved. But again, who knows what might happen.

Since you know these chapters through and through, can you justify a Sungji and Sumin ending? To be honest, I have not read a deep analysis on how this would be possible. The main point people make is that it has been the intention of the authors since the beginning, given interviews and promotional material. I understand that, but what about story-wise? Can Team Gaji throw another revelation to sway the story that way? At this point, in all honestly, a Sungji and Sumin ending would make less sense.

If you read the story from a Sungji and Sumin viewpoint, do you see anything? I tried my best to stay objective while reading this manhwa. Maybe I missed something.

last edited at Jun 23, 2017 6:52PM

joined Jun 23, 2017

mah, I have some ideas on top of my mind about SungjiXSumin.. but for some reason.. this requires more than two cigarettes XD

You read my mind before I posted it.

Screen%20shot%202017-09-05%20at%2014.18.21
joined Feb 4, 2017

You read my mind before I posted it.

well, you are logical.. so I thought you would have a logical question XD
okay, one last cig.

last edited at Jun 23, 2017 6:54PM

joined Feb 4, 2017

Sumin and Sungji Relationship:

• why did Team Gaji sit Seju on the bench in the second season after she played a role in pushing the couple together?

one of the simplest reasons is to show you that Sumin and Sungji relationship would be a bumpy ride even if Seju is out of the picture.
The love triangle existed because of Sumin.. not because of Seju's actions.
Let's go through it step by step:

1. ch19: Nammi "you live an exhausting life, it's not like you're going to open up to her"
  2. ch23: step by step guide on how Sumin acts in her relationships
  3. ch28: even with Ms. Choi, whom Sumin really was serious with, Sumin didn't tell her anything. Ms. Choi " But I still feel I know almost nothing about you"

wait a second: in ch25, Sumin's birthday.. she still tell Sungji that she and Seju are just friends.. but at the same night, Sungji knew the truth directly from Seju herself! (ch55 flashback) http://imgur.com/a/OPaIb

lies and lies
ch36, Seju was not there.. Sumin was the one to think about her.. so in ch32, ch39.. and I argue ch52, and ch81. The one who brings Seju to the view is Sumin always, whether its Sumin*Sungji or Sumin* (X) girl.

let's get back to the set of lies Sumin has:

• ch53 (she lied about phoning Seju),
  • ch55 (she lied to Sungji about what who she is about to meet),
  • ch 75( the bathroom phone call)

Trust issues, Guilt, Ex's memories .. you name it.. is always present with Sumin
Anxiousness, doubts and insecurities are always there with Sungji

point to me one fluffy moment between Sumin and Sungji and I guarantee a Seju effect in the background playing along the above lines. Whether it is in how Sumin is trying to create a replica of a feeling/ memory she had, or protect them.. or how Sungji reacts given the mentioned points.

Now take a look at how Sungji and Sumin interact, Sumin cheated, Sungji expected her to beg and hold on to her.. Sumin didn't!
later on, in ch67: Sungji is crying and angry.. how Sumin could never understand her needs or fight harder for her! (I swear.. I don't make this up.. it's in the Manhwa)

As if Sumin is torn between her guilt, physical attraction to Sungji and her inability to make both of them happy while not letting go of Seju and what Seju means to her. Up till now, Sumin is in love with Seju. Ch50 was in October ( I can prove this).. however, we are now in November.. so let's spare each other the discussion of whether she is still in love or indifferent !

Question: did Sungji feel that Sumin was thinking about Seju and couldn't love her fully ?
the answer is YES! take a look: http://imgur.com/a/8sN55
Sungji knows it and feels it.

you wanna see the guilt, take a look at ch51
you wanna read clearly what Sungji feels:
ch51, Sumin: did you think I will leave after calling you?
Sungji: YES
ch55, Sungji: you were always ready to leave, but it wasn't like that for me.
☛ again remember how Sangmi the lawyer felt in ch23?!

what's next?
Sumin is still in a position that she can't take any step.. and God I don't want Seju to move at all. Next step is and should be Sungji's.. asking the right question will reveal a lot.. and would lead all of the three to find major realisations connecting all the dots together.

Deviation:

• what does Seju do? nothing!

ch45 is her POV,
Sumin will always be in a relationship with no future, and she will always come back.

ch50, gives you the reason
it actually says it in on our faces: it is not because Seju is better in bed compared to any of the girls.. but because Sumin is still in love with her. (notice the embrace.. in her mind she knows that Sungji is too good for the likes of her.. and she knows that Seju is different from a mere hot amazing sex partner like the redhead.. and she will be the one to hold her no matter what)

joined Jun 23, 2017

Nora89, regardless of how this ends, I hope you know that your analyses on the story structure and character thoughts are much appreciated. We'll have to just wait and see if they are correct, but you are definitely not wrong or "blinded" in seeing things this way.

I will have to revisit your post when I have more time, but there is one little thing I have to add to this:

point to me one fluffy moment between Sumin and Sungji and I guarantee a Seju effect in the background playing along the above lines. Whether it is in how Sumin is trying to create a replica of a feeling/ memory she had, or protect them.. or how Sungji reacts given the mentioned points.

What were the thoughts of Team Gaji when laying out chapter 72? Was anyone expecting another Seju and Sumin flashback after Sungji and Sumin had sex the night before? They might have been just playing with fans of Seju, which many would claim. If that's the case, then that's too bad. Otherwise, that moment is significant.

joined Feb 4, 2017

mpgpeg

hahahaha.. ch72 flashback! I love itttt XD

take this scene and read it side to side with ch71 first scene. Well, the insecurity of Seju as well was shown and hence another connection to ch27, ch56.

mmmhm.. Foxy lady blew my mind with a very striking fact!
notice Seju's house design.. positioning of the bed, the View.. and look at Sumin's house and positioning of her bed.. mmmhm, really Sumin? another replica of your past? XD.

(can't believe I missed that one before.. XD)

since I'm at it, do you know why Sumin drinks her coffee strong with no milk or syrup (sugar) ?

because Seju likes it this way.. and she was the one to introduce Sumin to it.

last edited at Jun 23, 2017 8:40PM

joined Jun 23, 2017

notice Seju's house design.. positioning of the bed, the View.. and look at Sumin's house and positioning of her bed.. mmmhm, really Sumin? another replica of your past? XD.

What chapter(s) clearly showed Seju's house?

since I'm at it, do you know why Sumin drinks her coffee strong with no milk or syrup (sugar) ?
because Seju likes it this way.. and she was the one to introduce Sumin to it.

And yes, I do not see how anyone could argue against their connection at this point.

joined Feb 4, 2017

What chapter(s) clearly showed Seju's house?

ch72, Flashback, first panel.. Look at the view, the bed positioning even the table side.
now take a look at ch51, 5th panel, Look at the view, bed position even the table side.
The is the answer of Sungji's question in ch12 on why Sumin choses to sleep in living room when she has a bedroom upstairs. Compare both panels and you will understand why Sumin's likes it this way!
again, I give credit to Foxy lady for pointing this out to me.

And yes, I do not see how anyone could argue against their connection at this point.

well, I overthink and see things from my point of view.. so~
but why would I care, ch32 is illustrated by Gaji not meeeeh XD

last edited at Jun 23, 2017 9:15PM

joined Jun 23, 2017

The is the answer of Sungji's question in ch12 on why Sumin choses to sleep in living room when she has a bedroom upstairs. Compare both panels and you will understand why Sumin's likes it this way!
again, I give credit to Foxy lady for pointing this out to me.

Ah, I see it now. I was looking at this story in terms of it plot points, structure, and character development. If the ending makes sense, then I will take more time to look at those details regarding the art and such. Team Gaji will deserve a lot of credit for thinking their story through to that extent. Again, still holding out on that.

well, I overthink and see things from my point of view.. so~

I understand where you are coming from. I will probably have read the chapters more times than I already have if I had discovered this manhwa sooner. Everyone has their bias, some people read more into things, others take things as they are. Those are trends I have seen regarding the teams as well. We'll see what happens.

last edited at Jun 23, 2017 9:31PM

joined Feb 4, 2017

nakedness indeed :P
God.. I'm so perverted :'(

joined Jun 23, 2017

Thank you, Foxy lady. Your analyses are much appreciated as well.

joined Feb 4, 2017

mpgpeg, what I was meaning to say about ch72 Seju's house design and Sumin's house design similarities is not just to point out the art.. but to understand why Sumin chose to put her bed in that manner and sleep in the living room next to the glass window.. what memories are associated to it? and why she likes this arrangement?

joined Jun 23, 2017

Nora89, that makes sense. It is an easily missable element. I definitely need to read each panel more closely now.

Can either you or Foxy lady clarify the reason why Sungji joined in the first place? I reread the first chapter, and yes, it is very clear that Seju personally showed her around and hired her. With Sungji's looks, she must have known Sumin would find her appealing.

Seju loves Sumin so much that she wants Sumin to move on. Seju doesn't want to be a hindrance to Sumin.

Then why did Seju try to interfere with their growing relationship in chapter 27? I probably missed a revelation at some point.

joined Jun 23, 2017

Can you be more specific about the word "joined"? I mean, how do you define it? Some discussion are lost because of semantics.

I guess, why did Seju choose Sungji to be a part of the company?

I am not sure if the manhwa will ever delve into this topic further, it would be great and enlightening if they do, but it is not completely necessary for the ending. Unless you know something I missed.

Are you referring to chapter 27 alone? Or are you referring to chapter 27 flashback in chapter 55?

Chapter 55 showed what happened in chapter 27, but those two chapters, as you know, are at significantly different points. In chapter 27, Seju did not know Sumin still loved her and chapter 55 occurred after she found out.

I am trying to think of Seju's mindset during this timeline... Do you mean Seju hired Sungji for Sumin to move on? If she did so, then why did she talk to Sungji and try to prevent their relationship from progressing any further in chapter 27? I would understand if she would AFTER finding out Sumin loves her. But that is not the case here. Basically, did something change her mind before Sumin told her she still loves her?

last edited at Jun 24, 2017 1:51AM

joined Jun 23, 2017

Little side note: After reading chapter 50, I knew WDTFS was the rare needle in a haystack among the much... lesser well thought out mangas and manhwas. Sumin's inner monologue involving several figures in her life was something I have not seen. If anyone knows any other smart comics, let me know.

Foxy lady, thank you for answering my question.

Seju and Sumin will always be friends. The bond is very strong as you can imagine. So, even with the non-involvement of Seju, the SuminxSungji is bound to collapse as indicative of a SuminxSangmi parallelism. It is Sumin herself who sabotaged the relationship as indicative of chap. 50....

Yes, Seju did not need to get involved in many of Sumin's breakups, granted, we have not seen all of them. They were ended on Sumin's part, as seen in chapter 17 and 27 as well. Chapter 17 is one that does not get mentioned a lot, but it does show how Seju always lingers in Sumin's mind.

In chap. 53, Sungji used the ring and left it (she did not forget it)to signify that "Leave Team Leader, bad CEO-nim", so why not used this to open up the third season with Seju's involvement? It is more fun this way, right?

I am always hesitant on reading too much into things and mainly focus on things explicitly shown or stated. It would be interesting if that is what Sungji actually thought. Hopefully we will find out later right? Did she take it as a challenge? Maybe, we do not know for sure yet. That would definitely reveal a lot for her, if she had not realized it, and a lot for Sumin and Seju.

So, what is the ending?

I do not want to say, but I hope we are thinking along similar lines here... Hopefully it will be revealed soon. A part of me wishes I got into this manhwa after it was completed. That would've saved a lot of my thoughts and time. But I guess it is also more fun this way?

joined Jun 23, 2017

Tool

I am new to this forum but, I've been a long time lurker and, let me just say wow. This manhwa is like a roller coaster ride that, I wish I never got on in the first place. When I first read WDTFS, I have to confess, that I hated pink for cheating on black and I was like, "I hope you suffer and pay for what you did." However, I did not know that, I was going to end up rooting for Seju and end up loving her character as much as I did now. At the end of all this, I just hope Team Gaji can give Seju the happy ending she deserve. Now every time I listen to this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQxp1aP_IaE , I can't help but think of this in Seju POV.

I know this was a while ago, but I can relate, as I am also new to the forum. Nice song choice by the way. It is interesting to see how one's perspective changes as they read this manhwa. I am sure you are not alone in how you thought about Seju. Maybe that was the author's intent? We'll see, depending on the ending.

joined Mar 28, 2017

Do you mean Seju hired Sungji for Sumin to move on? If she did so, then why did she talk to Sungji and try to prevent their relationship from progressing any further in chapter 27? I would understand if she would AFTER finding out Sumin loves her. But that is not the case here. Basically, did something change her mind before Sumin told her she still loves her?

These contradictory actions of Seju bothered me for awhile, I had a theory (definitely no proof, and not as imaginative as Nora or Foxy Lady lol).

1. Did Seju cherry pick Sungi for Sumin?
    -- Yes to this means Seju had a motive. You can stop reading this post, go with Foxy Lady's "Seju was letting go" theory. Hahaha.

-- No means Seju noticed Sungi on her first day. Her instinct told her something interesting would happened. She introduced herself to Sungi.

2. Why did Seju encourage Sumin and Sungi to date and then the talk in ch. 27?
    -- Seju knew what Sumin liked. She probably sensed Sungi had an interest in Sumin, too. Their dating was inevitable, she would rather accelerate the cycle (dating and breakup) than giving them more time to develop feeling, thus the encouragement and "pity" talk. Her plan A.

3. Well, plan A did not work out. Plan B. Fast forward to the ring and cheating incident. Someone (been awhile, can't remember who, probably Nora) said Seju could not have time Sungi's arrival and planned out the whole getting caught part. I partially agreed. She could not have predicted everything, but she could still do it and hope for the best (most schemes work that way). And I thought that was a very intelligent move because
    -- a. If the plan worked and it did, she would have created a huge conflict between Sumin and Sungi.
    -- b. If it did not, she would have guilt the shit out of Sumin after the sex, and she could "accidentally" reveal to Sunji that Sumin had cheated on her, thus still created a big conflict between them.

I think/hope things were quite straightforward after this part of the story.

last edited at Jun 24, 2017 6:32AM

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

It is interesting to see how one's perspective changes as they read this manhwa. I am sure you are not alone in how you thought about Seju. Maybe that was the author's intent? We'll see, depending on the ending.

Tool is not alone about for sure.
I've followed this manhwa since the very beginning, back then, I loved Sumin and didnt really care much about Seju. It was hard to like her in the beginning :), till later, way later, we'll see her in a different light. My turning point would be chap 48 and 49, in those chaps, I saw a "bare" Seju with her raw emotions without pretense or creepy thoughts :). She tucked my heartstrings greatly in those two chaps. A person who loved with all her heart and never changed.

I've seen alot of people saying the same thing as mine :)))

Btw, you should feel lucky, even though you got into it when it has not end but at least you didnt have to go through the torture of 2 long break between each seasons, lollll, they went to a long break whenever one season ended =)))))).

joined Jun 23, 2017

Btw, you should feel lucky, even though you got into it when it has not end but at least you didnt have to go through the torture of 2 long break between each seasons, lollll, they went to a long break whenever one season ended =)))))).

Yeah, I definitely do see myself lucky in that department. The wait time for me was shorter. Anyone know Nisekoi? SPOILERS I only watched the anime, but I cannot imagine how Team Onodera fans felt after going through more than 200 chapters just to be let down.

But you cannot compare Nisekoi to WDTFS. The best stories are told with the ending in mind, especially those that are not stretched out for too long.

joined Mar 28, 2017

Yeah, I definitely do see myself lucky in that department. The wait time for me was shorter. Anyone know Nisekoi? SPOILERS I only watched the anime, but I cannot imagine how Team Onodera fans felt after going through more than 200 chapters just to be let down.

Team Onodera here. I don't need to be reminded of that memory. T______T

If you are interested in another Yuri, Octave was my favorite before WDTFS.

joined Jun 23, 2017

Well, plan A did not work out. Plan B. Fast forward to the ring and cheating incident. Someone (been awhile, can't remember who, probably Nora) said Seju could not have time Sungi's arrival and planned out the whole getting caught part. I thought that was partially right. She could not have predicted everything, but she could still do it and hope for the best (most schemes work that way). And I thought that was a very intelligent move because

I hope Team Gaji will get into this more, if not in the manhwa itself, but an extra or something. What was Seju's original plan? We could theorize, like with most things, but I would like them to explicitly state it at some point.

joined Jun 23, 2017

Team Onodera here. I don't need to be reminded of that memory. T______T
If you are interested in another Yuri, Octave was my favorite before WDTFS.

I will definitely check that out, thank you. Nisekoi falls into the category of the end game being the girl introduced first. I knew from the beginning of the anime that that was the goal. Too bad they made Onodera so likable, but frustrating too. Everything could have been solved if either confessed to each other. That story was not as well thought out and had many fillers, from what I have heard from people. But that's off topic isn't it?

last edited at Jun 24, 2017 5:54AM

joined Jun 23, 2017

For me, it is never an argument of who is right or wrong, but to see despite our differences, there will be a point of tangency!

Haha, you are always fun, Foxy lady. Once the end of this manhwa finally comes, it would be fun to see how many of these theories or predictions actually pan out.

joined Feb 4, 2017

hlama

These contradictory actions of Seju bothered me for awhile, I had a theory (definitely no proof, and not as imaginative as Nora or Foxy Lady lol).

OUCH ! hehehe XD

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

Wow, all are serious comments xD, let me join the fun and stop being half playful xDDDDDD

Since no one is gonna defend SuminxSungji, I will talk about why I chose SuminxSungji as endgame instead xD. The discussion is only fun when there are two opposite sides, lol. And to prove my view, I will tell why SejuxSumin is impossible atm, lol.

Since we have established the fact that SejuxSumin was bound to be doomed in the past regardless the bartender incident happened or not, courtesy of Seju's insecurities(mostly) and Sumin's trust issues. So in order to be a couple again, they have to solve this first. To touch upon that issue, Nora and Foxy Lady said they should bring up two things in the past few chaps

• The ring, whether its really Seju who took it or not and when things got clear => Sumin will learn to trust Seju
  • The bartender incident, hmmm, Sumin should listen to Seju's pov in this and learn to trust Seju's words
  1. Trust is not that easy to gain. The ring thing, the most Sumin does when Sumin realize she was wrong is apologize. More trust or be able to be without doubt is not that easy. And from Sumin's words this chap, she is quite smart, she actually knows well both Sungji and Seju's personalities, she knows that Sungji will accept her request to live with Seju, she also knows as well Seju might not do the same, lollll. From Sumin's words this chap, you could say that she's a fox, who knows which button to push and who to push. She knows. So, just by the ring thing and Sumin gaining more trust for Seju is kinda too positive. She wont, this is her mistake but well not to the point of reevaluating their relationship or thinking of going back together.
  2. The bartender incident. Lets just say they did bring it up at some point of the story. Basically, there were only three people at the scene back then, Sumin, Seju and the bartender. So, even if they did bring that up, and Seju has the chance to explain yourself, we are asking Sumin to trust and believe Seju's words unconditionally without any questions? That's just impossible. Its already hard for a person who trust her partner unconditionally, let alone Sumin. So bringing this up with only SuminxSeju face to face is pretty useless, even I wont believe in Seju's words completely. Unless they drag one last person in that scene to reappear, the bartender. His words are the most important. So how is the chance of the reappearance of this bartender? From scale one to ten? xDDDDDDD.
  3. The most important point, Are the current events supporting SejuxSumin to be back together? I dont think so :). These past few chaps has taught Sumin these things:

• Learn to show her caring side for Seju, show it, talk about it and care for her like a friend, a family :). Basically, learn to show her soft side to Seju
    • Learn to say sorry to Seju, sth she has stopped doing for years => does this mean they have a chance? I dont think so, this is just them normalizing their toxic relationship in a snail pace xDDDDDD. They're learning to be back to a normal non-romantic relationship, its about healing after all, the least the could do is this. As for sth more, well, lets see.

However, Even when trust has gained in Sumin's heart, it isnt associated with them back as a couple, that Sumin will welcome Seju back with open arms and love. These are two different things. Like it or not, in Sumin's heart atm, there is also Sungji. Well, we could argue about Sungji's love with how much real it is but we cant argue Sumin's love for Sungji. She loves both of them, Seju and Sungji. And the thing is, the more the story progresses, the more Sumin falls deeper for this love, for Sungji's kind acts and big heart, for Sungji's selfless acceptance :), it might be out of guilt, out of gratitude but ultimately, she will feel in debt and love for Sungji more and more for all the things she has done for her and Seju. We could argue that if this is guilt or love but to me, its love mixed with guilt but there is definitely love in there. So lets just say Sungji decides to leave in the end, will Sumin back to Seju with her heart full for Seju and Seju only? That Sungji just magically disappears from her heart and replaced by Seju only? That she'll jump back to Seju right after Sungji leaves?
    What about she realize that she loves Seju more than Sungji? Well, even if that happened, will she hurt Sungji one more time, leave her and stay with Seju? Remember Sumin feels in debt with Sungji for all the things she has done. So Sumi would never leave Sungji herself, even if she loves who more than who

Edit: to make SejuxSumin a couple in the end, not only Sungji needs realization but also Sumin needs realization, a big one, sth that I dont think she could realize with just a normal life event :), to let Sungji go physically and emotionally :). And its not an easy task, not saying its impossible, with all the events right now, there might be a way, lollll.

last edited at Jun 24, 2017 10:02AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.