Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

879e291d
joined May 7, 2017

Yuu: "I can't fall in love with anyone, be it guys or girls" ---> Falls for a girl anyway
Touko: "I can't accept anyone's love, be it guys or girls" ---> Falls for a girl anyway
Sayaka: "GL is not normal" ---> Falls for a girl anyway x2
Teacher: "I like men, not women" ---> Falls for a girl anyway

"Remember kids, if you're a girl who thinks you can't love girls, you will inevitably fall for one." -Nakatani Nio

This is the message of the story all along.

I'm sorry for my shitpost

perfect answer

joined Apr 7, 2016

Not a shitpost, more like a golden post. Nakatani Nio portrays love in a way where it's not meant to be exciting just because it's two girls, rather attempting to create love stories between two individuals who can fall in love regardless of their gender - something that, apparently, many of the "HOW COULD YOU NIO" retards failed to realize, since lesbianism or bisexuality doesn't have to be seen as a fetish or the main factor of a relationship, just a characteristic.

That's actually a good point. Nakatani's main message seems to be that labels aren't necessary when you're in love with someone. What matters is that you're with someone who makes you happy. So, at that point, is there even any reason to categorize it further?

I think Nakatani somewhat talked about that in an interview about her Touhou doujins. Something about how she's more interested in exploring the relationship between the girls than actually enforcing what she THINKS their relationships are, but if the relationship has romantic connotations, then it can be taken as romantic one.

Think about it. She doesn't have a preference for girls, but she chose HER. Doesn't get more romantic than that, honestly.

And yes, now that you put it that way, it would explain why Riko suddenly got shy while Miyako was teasing her~

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

YagaKimi pretty much paints itself as a love story between two individuals who happen to be girls. The question of whether they are girls is not as important as the question of who they are as people. The story takes its time to flesh out its characters, both their bad & good sides, since this gives no doubt that when the characters fall in love, they're falling in love with the person, rather than any concept of that person (Yuu is the embodiment of this)

Btw, this reminds me, a future development I really want to see for Touko would be Maki somehow reveals to her the fact that he doesn't love or want to fall in love. How Touko reacts to this would be really telling of whether she has truly fallen for Yuu (& not the concept of a person who can't love her back) or not.

last edited at Jun 5, 2017 4:25AM

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Think about it. She doesn't have a preference for girls, but she chose HER. Doesn't get more romantic than that, honestly.

Very much in keeping with her philosophy on romance stories from that one interview with her and Canno. Something like, "It means more if women choose each other in a world where there are men, doesn't it?"

joined Jun 12, 2015

Not a shitpost, more like a golden post. Nakatani Nio portrays love in a way where it's not meant to be exciting just because it's two girls, rather attempting to create love stories between two individuals who can fall in love regardless of their gender - something that, apparently, many of the "HOW COULD YOU NIO" retards failed to realize, since lesbianism or bisexuality doesn't have to be seen as a fetish or the main factor of a relationship, just a characteristic.

Right. So It's nothing new then. Nakatani choose the same road as many yuri mangakas before her. It's an old trope "I'm not gay but I love you" (like in yaoi). It's still a fetishization.

Jhkjhk
joined Jan 7, 2014

Right. So It's nothing new then. Nakatani choose the same road as many yuri mangakas before her. It's an old trope "I'm not gay but I love you" (like in yaoi). It's still a fetishization.

How in the world is disregarding sexuality based on genders a fetish? Had she said she preferred men, would it be that much more satisfying for you?

joined Apr 7, 2016

How, though? It's a character being in love with another character because they like them as a person above all else. Riko-sensei is able to look past the physical aspects because she likes Miyako more as a person. I don't see how that's fetishization.

Bikkiav
joined Feb 9, 2015

Not gonna blame anyone for reading it that way, but fumbling over her words as opening for a tease gag made me take it as more "bi but didn't explore relationships with women before Miyako" rather than a flat-out "straight except for you" bit.

last edited at Jun 5, 2017 8:43PM

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

The trope has been done a lot in other yuri series b4 & the presentation here is a bit straightforward & doesn't exactly add anything new to it, so I can get why you'd be frustrated with it. However, it's not a trope that's completely out of place in this story since from the beginning, YagaKimi has always been presenting itself as a love story between individuals, with no interest in attaching any labels on them. Again, it could've handled better, but to each his own, I have no problem with it, but I can see why you're not too excited about it. Tho calling it a fetish just b/c it's a cliche trope is beyond me.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Hmmyeah, pretty mixed about that too. Manager's reaction face is pretty priceless though. X)

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

Why there are no chapter posted here? I mean by the comments it seems new chapter are already released.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Why there are no chapter posted here? I mean by the comments it seems new chapter are already released.

Well yeah, the "Special 4"

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

Is this the same case as Murcielago?

joined Sep 21, 2014

What?
Idk what you're asking but, it's an extra chapter :0 (Murciélago/many series have bonus (and shorter) chapters). Usually, after Bloom into You completes a volume, an extra/bonus chapter is released the next month, and then the series/plot continues with the chapter with the following month

last edited at Jun 6, 2017 5:21PM

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

What?
Idk what you're asking but, it's an extra chapter :0 (Murciélago/many series have bonus (and shorter) chapters). Usually, after Bloom into You completes a volume, an extra/bonus chapter is released the next month, and then the series/plot continues with the chapter with the following month

No i mean, does it get licensed just like Murcielago?

joined Sep 21, 2014

Yeah, it's been licensed since Feb 2016, 2 volumes have been released in English so far.

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

Yeah, it's been licensed since Feb 2016, 2 volumes have been released in English so far.

Ah dang it!

joined Sep 21, 2014

Ah dang it!

Why?
Scanlations haven't stopped lol

last edited at Jun 6, 2017 10:43PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Faust posted:

Ah dang it!

Why?
Scanlations haven't stopped lol

They did. They dropped it because it was licensed.

EDIT/ Nvm the group that was tl'ing it until now dropped it, but I didn't see /u/ picked it up after it.

last edited at Jun 6, 2017 10:58PM

Smollmboye
joined Sep 25, 2013

with no interest in attaching any labels on them

I dunno, Sayaka seems pretty obviously gay.

joined Sep 21, 2014

YP dropped it, but 4s has been translating Yagate ever since ihoshiku disappeared (before YP even picked it up iirc), so it didn't really matter tbh (I remember seeing the chapters 6-8 ish on other reader sites)

last edited at Jun 6, 2017 11:38PM

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

The manga never calls her a lesbian either. My point is that the manga isn't really interested in exploring sexuality. Readers are free to identify the characters however they want, but at the end of the day, that's not really the focus of the story.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Faust posted:

YP dropped it, but 4s has been translating Yagate ever since ihoshiku disappeared (before YP even picked it up iirc), so it didn't really matter tbh (I remember seeing the chapters 6-8 ish on other reader sites)

I was talking about Murcielago though.

1383023_409776295790444_214555291_n
joined Jul 17, 2016

Yeah, Sayaka fell in love with her ex and then Touko because they're girls, while Touko and Yuu are the ones who seem to follow the "no labels " thing. Still, I don't see Touko and Yuu ever falling for someone else, be either a boy or girl.

The manga never calls her a lesbian either. My point is that the manga isn't really interested in exploring sexuality. Readers are free to identify the characters however they want, but at the end of the day, that's not really the focus of the story.

I don't think it's necessary for Sayaka to say explicitly that she's gay since it's pretty obvious she is and has accepted that fact after she fell for Touko, like she explained to coffee lady. I do agree that sexuality is not the focus of the manga, but saying readers can identify the characters the way they want is a bit wrong because someone could say they see Yuu as asexual and that's obviously not the case. Thing is labels aren't very important here though.

last edited at Jun 6, 2017 11:50PM

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

I don't think it's necessary for Sayaka to say explicitly that she's gay since it's pretty obvious she is and has accepted that fact after she fell for Touko, like she explained to coffee lady. I do agree that sexuality is not the focus of the manga, but saying readers can identify the characters the way they want is a bit wrong because someone could say they see Yuu as asexual and that's obviously not the case. Thing is labels aren't very important here though.

I guess my comment wasn't very clear lol I never claim that Sayaka isn't a lesbian. Was just saying that the manga doesn't bother identifying her sexuality since it's not the focus of the story. & when I say readers can identify the characters however they want, I mean that there's nothing to stop them from identifying the characters. We're free to call Sayaka a lesbian, Maki an asexual, etc. but the manga isn't going to confirm any of those labels since that's not its focus. Seriously, unless we get a sex scene between Yuu & Touko, there will still be people out there claiming Yuu's asexual.

last edited at Jun 7, 2017 1:36AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.