Forum › Your Tomorrow and My Yesterday discussion

joined Apr 7, 2016

Okay...am I the only one who got a little confused? Maybe it's because it's in anachronistic order, but here's what I got so far and please tell me if I got it right.

Kotori confessed to Umi a while back, but Umi took it as just a platonic "I love you." Kotori then kept confessing and re-confessing to Umi, who kept taking it as platonic. This eventually hurt Kotori. HOWEVER, it turns out, Umi actually took it as romantic, but kept playing it off as platonic because she doesn't feel like she would be a good enough girlfriend for Kotori, whom she wants to keep protected. Additionally, Kotori's multiple confessions just kept hurting Umi because she felt bad that Kotori loves her so much, but Umi still can't bring herself to accept Kotori's feelings.

Am I right? I'm still trying to figure it out as I'm writing this...

FriedBreadfast
Weh
joined Nov 20, 2016

Okay...am I the only one who got a little confused? Maybe it's because it's in anachronistic order, but here's what I got so far and please tell me if I got it right.

Kotori confessed to Umi a while back, but Umi took it as just a platonic "I love you." Kotori then kept confessing and re-confessing to Umi, who kept taking it as platonic. This eventually hurt Kotori. HOWEVER, it turns out, Umi actually took it as romantic, but kept playing it off as platonic because she doesn't feel like she would be a good enough girlfriend for Kotori, whom she wants to keep protected. Additionally, Kotori's multiple confessions just kept hurting Umi because she felt bad that Kotori loves her so much, but Umi still can't bring herself to accept Kotori's feelings.

Pretty much. She just wanted to protect her and realized that the reason why she was so desperate to protect her was because she loved her.

Official%20beidou%20cropped
joined May 22, 2016

Who's "they"?

Your salty ass i guess?

And it's funny how you talk about making a "big deal" out of the title when not only are you wrong, you're the one who refuses to let it go.

?
Bruh?
Do you not know the difference between 昨日 and 明日?
Idk what you're going on about man, this isn't even something you can argue, the definition of these words isn't subjective õ_ò
I don't need google translate to tell you this much, but perhaps you do

last edited at May 18, 2017 12:25PM

joined Feb 21, 2017

Do you not know

Bruh, do you even anything about Japanese grammatical rules and sentence syntax order?
You do realize Japanese word order is not translated 1 to 1, correct?

last edited at May 18, 2017 12:40PM

FriedBreadfast
Weh
joined Nov 20, 2016

^^Can you guys please stop? It doesn't matter what the title says or who can read it.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

Kouyuri translator here. I have no idea what the argument is about, but the title translates to "Yesterday's me and Tomorrow's you".

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

This is just my own opinion, feel free to ignore it. I won't be arguing about it.

After reading title and story, I probably would have translated the title as "Yesterday's Me and Tomorrow's You." Or just possibly I might have ended up with "Tomorrow's You and Yesterday's Me" after I understood the context better.

I know such structures as 昨日の僕 are more often translated as "my yesterday" and the like, but especially in the context of this story, I think the more literal reading ("me of yesterday") is better.

That said, the way it's translated is entirely up to the translator and QC people.

Edit: Oops, Ropponmatsu beat me to it.

last edited at May 18, 2017 12:54PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Ropponmatsu posted:

Kouyuri translator here. I have no idea what the argument is about, but the title translates to "Yesterday's me and Tomorrow's you".

Argument is actually about order of it. On first page and both times in jps it is my yesterday first and then your tomorrow second, and Anon asked if it shouldn't be that way on doujin title as well, but because on page 5 it is reversed in engrish, it was translated that way. Actually in this case, there is literally no difference since changing order doesn't change meaning in the slightest, unless it is ultra important in story or something.

last edited at May 18, 2017 12:56PM

joined Feb 21, 2017

^^Can you guys please stop? It doesn't matter what the title says or who can read it.

I'm not the one who started it. I'm also not the one who keeps bringing it up.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

@Nevri
I see. Yeah, I usually go with the Engrish name too, if the author gives any.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I've removed the "trash fan" stuff. C'mon folks, you're better than that.

As to discussing the title directly, it's not an unreasonable discussion so long as we leave off going after people individually over it.

last edited at May 18, 2017 1:06PM

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

@Nevri

Me too, I even changed my title once to match one belatedly given by the author. I don't know if I would in this case since it is poor English and doesn't flow. But as I said, that's up to the translator.

Edit: Oh, I should read your post better before replying. No, I won't necessarily go with the Engrish title given, though I might.

last edited at May 18, 2017 1:09PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Ropponmatsu posted:

@Nevri

Author gave two though, not sure how it turned this way, but we got something sounding like proper english translation with the same order as in jps at first page as well as some engrish at 5 with reversed order and tl decided to pick the second one, just make it proper english. And as Yuri Girl 1001 said, the reverse order seems to actually fit more. Either way the issue seems that because Anon asked about that choice Gearz started to throw insults at them.

last edited at May 18, 2017 1:14PM

joined Apr 7, 2016

Pretty much. She just wanted to protect her and realized that the reason why she was so desperate to protect her was because she loved her.

Ohh, okay, then. So it was really just Umi being a dumb-dumb, Kotori getting frustrated, and the both of them feeling guilty about unintentionally hurting each other. Got it.

Also, wtf is with this discussion about grammar and syntax? Like...just enjoy the Kotoumi, guys. We seldom get any wholesome doujin of these two.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Yeah, Kotori was so gay it hurt, and Umi was also gay and a dummy. Kind of the status quo for most Umi pairings.

Tumblr_oc0f2iedk71s038qvo9_250
joined Mar 3, 2017

I feels like one of my comments was erased... I wonder why

E
joined Feb 8, 2014

IT'S MAI OTP

Yes_Cantaloupe
Dia%20mezashi
joined Dec 5, 2014

cute + good

...but they didn't kiss

DankestMemeGenerator9000
joined Dec 15, 2017

We all know that Umi is a pain in the nuts when it comes to romance.

Areyougonnatouchem-17sq
joined Jan 27, 2019

I do like the touch that it actually took eight confessions for Umi to catch on. Just the specificity of that.

A%20%20gallery_compress77
joined Jan 11, 2019

Beautiful :')

To reply you must either login or sign up.