Forum › Kase-san discussion

joined Mar 21, 2017

Well, it wasn't the most swellingly romantic consummation scene ever. But it also wasn't a done-to-death cliche scene. It felt kinda real. I know my personal such scenes have not generally been heavy on the dialogue, you know?

I thought the same.

I actually thought it was hella romantic because of the realism.

I won't disagree with that statement either. It wasn't a big sweeping romantic gesture like people are used to in romance stories which i think is what we are getting at.

Jinx%20avatar%20150x150
joined Jan 11, 2017

sheska posted:

I don't know if its just me.
I think this manga really needs some serious conflict, I see nothing but happiness in this one. when I was reading this manga, boredom gets the best of me a couple of times.

Kinda thought that was one of the best part of this one.

last edited at Apr 2, 2017 2:40AM

Screenshot_20180828-085722_1
joined Mar 21, 2016

I think this manga really needs some serious conflict, I see nothing but happiness in this one. when I was reading this manga, boredom gets the best of me a couple of times.

I can suggest Citrus. :-)

Citrus?
one of my favorite yuri manga ^^

joined Mar 21, 2016

sheska posted:

Kinda thought that was one of the best part of this one.

Cmon, the story without conflict its like candy without sugar. Lol
tasteless xD

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

They got laid! YES!

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Citrus?

Then your reading preferences appear to be incompatible with this manga's writing goals. :-)

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

This concludes the heart-pounding romance story "Kase-san." Minna-san, domo arigato gozaimasu!! Please continue to follow the adventures of new series "Tomoka-chan."
;)

I wonder if that's what was planned and why the premature announcement of "It's ending" happened. Still will continue, but no more chapters of "Kase-san".

last edited at Apr 2, 2017 4:42AM

joined Dec 28, 2016

Happy to see they reached this point. I just wish that Yamada would've actually said "Yes" or something when Kase asked if they wanted to do it. It's not that I think she was forced into it or that she wasn't ready. She loves Kase and wanted to do more than kiss. But it woulda been nice for her to actually verbalize it.

Also wish that they both woulda said "I love you" or similar at some point. Woulda been nice and romantic, and it was the perfect time.

But, again, very satisfying nonetheless. Though I would like to see the continuing adventures of Tomoka and Yui after this.

Different cultures work differently. Affirmative consent is a very western concept, and even in the west is a very very recent concept. Many cultures even in the west still don't practice it. I wouldn't be so judging about it.

joined Mar 21, 2016

Citrus?

Then your reading preferences appear to be incompatible with this manga's writing goals. :-)

don't get me wrong, I fancy kase-san but you know we need to spice it up this manga with some conflict. Adding a couple of villains to the plot wouldn't hurt anyone you know. xD

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

Different cultures work differently. Affirmative consent is a very western concept, and even in the west is a very very recent concept. Many cultures even in the west still don't practice it. I wouldn't be so judging about it.

I do think, it's executed in a way that does imply the consent nevertheless.
Kase keeps asking, pausing, testing, moving on - giving "Yui" (gosh, that's so strange) the chance each step to withdraw.
We (and Kase) know how Yamada reacts when she's unsure on physical contact, but there's a lot of eye contact, Yamada giving in instead of jerking back, freezing up and such... Rather passive and bottom, yes, but that's in character - aaaand I'd like to point out that Yamada's panties were NOT exactly cotton bloomers - yeah, she was ready :D

I still wished, we got a few panels more, not even necessarily for the lewd parts. Did Yamada take off Kase's tracksuit jacket? If so, showing it may already have resolved the consent question...

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

don't get me wrong, I fancy kase-san but you know we need to spice it up this manga with some conflict. Adding a couple of villains to the plot wouldn't hurt anyone you know. xD

Nah, came for the fluff, not the drama.

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

I wasn't judging. I wasn't making any sort of comment on the quality of the work. I was simply expressing a preference.

As I say, I was quite pleased with the story. I would've been more pleased if certain other things had been included, but I'm 100% fine with the story as is.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

But don't you see? Kase-san had a villain all this time. Yamada's paranoia

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

But don't you see? Kase-san had a villain all this time. Yamada's paranoia

You joke, but that's literally the case. What conflict is in the story is generated mostly by Yamada's imagination, egged on by Mikawa, and a lot of the rest is taken up by Kase's "is this really okay" hesitation. You don't have to have an external "villain" to move things along, and in a story like this that's basically Bad Writing anyhow.

Conflict, in the sense of direct confrontation, isn't always necessary to a story. It can handily, as in this case, be covered by tension, which arises more out of the situation itself, such as Yamada's fears that Kase-san is far too good for her or Kase-san being afraid of scaring Yamada away, or their mutual fear of being separated due to college.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Literary theory tells us that there are many types of conflict, both external (protagonist vs. villain or circumstance) and internal (protagonist vs. herself, e.g. her insecurities or conflicting beliefs). Yamada's internal conflict and character growth in this manga are so subtle, adding an external villain would totally hurt the plot, in addition to the readers who came here for the fluff. :-)

joined Nov 25, 2016

April fools troll?

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

April fools troll?

1) The chapter was originally published awhile ago.

2) Is April Fool's celebrated in Japan? I honestly don't know and am curious.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

April fools troll?

1) The chapter was originally published awhile ago.

I know a lot of Japanese one-page stories mention it as a day where you say the opposite of what you mean, but I don't think pranking/hoaxing is a thing.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

At least from a marketing side, they have a lot of fun with it (Love Live Sunshine's puppet special being one of this year's highlights), and it's occassionally the subject of a few TV/manga/doujin stories (eg. one of Smile Precure's eps was about an April Fool lie gone wrong).
But yeah, this chapter came out a good few weeks ago and only coincidentally got done translating with early yesterday (UK) morning.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Literary theory tells us that there are many types of conflict, both external (protagonist vs. villain or circumstance) and internal (protagonist vs. herself, e.g. her insecurities or conflicting beliefs). Yamada's internal conflict and character growth in this manga are so subtle, adding an external villain would totally hurt the plot, in addition to the readers who came here for the fluff. :-)

but she did not grow much as a character, not much of an arc, if at all. Their relationship did not develop much either (other than physically), Yamada hardly ever communicated her thoughts and worries. Anything that could've made her (or their relationship) develop basically resolved itself or was just her imagination, but those issues with the relationship were addressed like... once... (And you don't need the usual soap opera drama to develop a romantic relationship, unlike what 99% of yuri mangas show)

Only until the "ex-girlfriend" thing something changed - and its just a small thing that i might as well be stretching it.

I was not particularly satisfied with how the romance was done, wasn't great.

In the end I'd say its just a fine manga and that this is what an average manga should be - quality wise... But I would be really happy if even this got an anime, thats for sure.

last edited at Apr 2, 2017 5:38PM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Yamada hardly ever communicated her thoughts and worries.

Wot?

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

Are you serious?! Is it done?! And they had sex just like that?!? Wtf T^T i wanted it to last longer with atleast a little more romance..

I'm glad I'm not alone in the world ;^;

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

I'm with everyone asking for more romance, but I can do without the drama. I don't know, yuri is almost inherently such an angsty genre, that I actually look forward to these kinds of works, with people actually being happy without all the usual drama. Call me weak, but I guess I have enough with how shitty things are in the real world

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

Reading over this last chapter for about the 17th time, one thing has struck me: Takashima-sensei draws kissing really well. She really manages to convey the sensuality and the passion of kissing without veering into some of the very overused manga/hentai tropes like the rope of saliva connecting the two participants. The body language of Kase and Yamada while they are kissing feels very real to me in a way that a lot of other portrayals from other mangakas don't.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Reading over this last chapter for about the 17th time, one thing has struck me: Takashima-sensei draws kissing really well. She really manages to convey the sensuality and the passion of kissing without veering into some of the very overused manga/hentai tropes like the rope of saliva connecting the two participants. The body language of Kase and Yamada while they are kissing feels very real to me in a way that a lot of other portrayals from other mangakas don't.

Agree with that. I was just admiring the kiss scene in I'll Send Her Home On the Last Train for similar reasons.

To reply you must either login or sign up.