Forum › Clumsy Girlfriend discussion

joined Oct 17, 2015

"Read the LN and accepted how the story was going to end"? Supposing the anime does do that, a relationship with Shuuichi would come out of nowhere unless it was actually developed in the last parts. And even then it would still come out of nowhere.

You'd think that if the anime was going to ① follow that ending and also ② attempt to be successful at it, that it would not cut out all the Shuuichi moments out, so one of those two must be false. So if you assume ① (they're going to follow the novel ending) to be true, then ② (they want to be successful at it) must be false. Which makes for an interesting thought: Could KyoAni be intentionally trying to half-ass a Shuuichi ending to make it as lame as possible? Perhaps they want to make a half-assed ending because they don't want to be completely unfaithful to the novel but still don't want to draw focus on those final developments.

last edited at Dec 26, 2016 6:57AM

joined Dec 26, 2016

My 2 cents on the translation of the afterword. IMO, 黒歴史 (Dark History in English) means alternative continuities or "what if". It comes from Turn A Gundam back in 2000. It does not have a negative connotation.
Ref : https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%BB%92%E6%AD%B4%E5%8F%B2

joined Oct 17, 2015

I was about to say that for 黒歴史 to have no negative connotation is really odd since I've always heard it being talked about in reference to one's past works (videos, writings, drawings, etc.) that one regards as "not so great" due to one's natural improvement over time, but now that I've read the Wikipedia page, it turns out that I was probably simply misunderstanding things.

Okay, the Wikipedia page does say that in internet slang, 黒歴史 could possibly mean "things that I wish are gone" (note the present tense), but it could also possibly mean "things that are now gone" (this would refer to the past), and that nowadays, the meaning has broadened to include the idea of "things that, not due to anyone's intentions but 'just somehow,' have ended up being forgotten or weathered away."

So perhaps it meant something more like "though it's now part of a long-gone past" rather than "dark/regretful past."

last edited at Dec 26, 2016 10:38AM

Budokan2
joined Jan 13, 2015

Don't hate on the author guys.
I think the horrible things on the afterword was purely sarcastic.
I can't say why I think that, but it's what I feel coming out from tama.
It's like he was saying it on behalf of Kyotoani or something. lol.

joined Jul 7, 2015

What an overrated pairing. Not even the best in it's franchise.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

What an overrated pairing. Not even the best in it's franchise.

True, but thankfully the end of the anime showed what the best ship actually is.

joined Jul 7, 2015

True, but thankfully the end of the anime showed what the best ship actually is.

Yeah, I want to see Natsuki & Yuuko's future council leadership.

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

I read the afterword (the japanese one) and I'll agree that the artist was specifically talking about KumiRei but also seemed to enjoy the idea of 2 girls growing up, having husbands, but looking back and think "What a phase" and it'd be both an interesting time for them but it would be hidden away never to be talked about (because that's what japanese people do when it comes to dark pasts).
Honestly I can't tell if that part was just because Tama 2 enjoys straight girl having that phase (on a personal note, I actually hate that phase) or if the artist thinks all girls have that phase and are all just straight and will eventually all marry to a guy and have kids and then blah blah blah :: rolls eyes ::

At this point, I'm slightly appalled, because if you look at the facts, the artist thinks KumiRei are straight and will eventually find guys and yet draw a scene where they're older and living together. From that fact alone we can believe that the artist can draw great gay relationships but still not believe them to be true at the same time. It's a fantasy, and will forever be just a fantasy apparently.

Btw, Japanese people do not do sarcasm. Sarcasm is an english thing and doesn't translate very well into other languages.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I read the afterword (the japanese one) and I'll agree that the artist was specifically talking about KumiRei but also seemed to enjoy the idea of 2 girls growing up, having husbands, but looking back and think "What a phase" and it'd be both an interesting time for them but it would be hidden away never to be talked about (because that's what japanese people do when it comes to dark pasts).
Honestly I can't tell if that part was just because Tama 2 enjoys straight girl having that phase (on a personal note, I actually hate that phase) or if the artist thinks all girls have that phase and are all just straight and will eventually all marry to a guy and have kids and then blah blah blah :: rolls eyes ::

Probably the latter. Explained like that, it sounds more like "I think this is a moé scenario and I want to write about it" rather than "I don't think legitimately gay girls exist", which seems too general. It's still kind of meh, but not as bad as the original stuff sounded.

Img_2661
joined Dec 23, 2015

Am I the only one want to see who on top ? Reina or Kumiko?

joined Sep 12, 2014

and we finally got a KumiRei doujin just after the ship sank in the Anime Series

I don't want to know but now that you said it I have to know. Please explain

Reina for whatever reason is pining for her teacher...

That was always a thing, but it was incredibly limited in the first season to the point where I can only remember a single scene where it came up before seemingly everyone forgot about it. Season two, on the other hand, has put a big ol' spotlight on the thing. There were a few big moments of this, but it's also permeated a lot of her character beyond said moments.

so that's why we have this one? http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/clumsy_girlfriend#10

joined Sep 18, 2014

i read this wanting to feel happy and it was sweet and cheering me up and then i got knifed by the author commentary at the end... yikes yikes YIKES. you would think i'd be numb to it after seeing opinions like this so many times but it just feels so slimy and gross

Reimu-shock
joined Mar 27, 2015

i don't watch euphonium cause everyone make a fuss about kumirei pairings, but I can relate with Tama II with that "phase" since the series ends like that, oh and please make another NanoFate doujin i miss them

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Came in here to see what people's reactions were to a Euphonium doujin before I read it myself. I'm glad I did. Thank you to Seiyuuri for translating the afterword as well. That doesn't always happen, but insight into the mindset of the author is always interesting and useful. Especially in this case. With this afterword I know that there is no point in reading the rest of this, because whatever happens in it, the author decided to induce a miscarriage in the last moments. Just like any notion of actual yuri in the show itself, it is stillborn.

The yuribait in Euphonium was an ugly and divisive mistake, and it will be for the best when this particular interlude in yuri history is forgotten.

last edited at Dec 31, 2016 4:42AM

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Yeah, I want to see Natsuki & Yuuko's future council leadership.

Yes! Finally someone with some damn sense in this thread.

The yuribait in Euphonium was an ugly and divisive mistake, and it will be for the best when this particular interlude in yuri history is forgotten.

Thankfully there are plenty of other good things to remember about it.

last edited at Dec 31, 2016 10:14AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Dunno that I'd necessarily call the yuribait a mistake. Did it hurt or help the viewership numbers? Not that yuri fans are the biggest demographic out there, but I bet a lot were avidly watching, hoping for some miracle or at least taking what animated yuri-ish stuff they could find.

Still kind of a crap thing to do, but perhaps not a mistake.

joined Oct 17, 2015

The mistake is not including by the yuri, but not following through with it. Shuuichi isn't exactly all that popular with the fans by any stretch of the imagination, so involving him at the end will most definitely result in a disappointment, though it remains to be seen if this will actually be done or not. Taki, of course, is on a whole different level of unpopularity, since nobody even pays attention to him. What we do know as of now is that the mistake with Shuuichi hasn't been done yet though, only that it will likely to be committed, so it remains to be seen what will happen in the end.

11_spq78
joined Jul 24, 2014

love the last bit, I feel like that´s the dynamic between those two if they were actually a thing, Kumiko is shitty and mean but is totally in love with Reina, and Reina act all haughty but secretly enjoy being bullied.

last edited at Dec 31, 2016 6:40PM

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Thankfully there are plenty of other good things to remember about it.

Fucking this

Jeezzz%202
joined Jan 11, 2017

Tama-sama is always the best xD

joined Jun 3, 2016

The author does say "straight people". If that was some sort of "yuri is just a phase" thing, they wouldn't bother to use the word "straight". They are just trying to justifiy why they still love the pairing, probably, even though they're straight. You have to agree that straight girls having lesbian sex does sound like a mistake of their past. (I don't think straight girls would enjoy lesbian sex, but that's another thing.)

If two girls had lesbian sex in the past, they're probably not straight. Just because a girl falls in love with a guy doesn't mean she's straight. Bisexual/Pansexual people exist.

Further, even supposing two 100% heterosexual girls for whatever reason have sex, it's wrong to call it a mistake unless there are negative consequences. Honestly, it's more likely that it wasn't a mistake, because it's likely that it at least gave them a better understanding of their own sexuality, which can only be a good thing.

0dbae31b163ae538beb6a331793cac8117bb9a9c_00
joined Oct 1, 2018

Very short but wow, this kind of communication felt special

Image_2022-10-30_015926894
joined Jun 3, 2021

the author’s note… what an angsty person. angsty as in “they’re so badly edgy but there’s also a certain charm in such a typically ‘bad’ ending like that”… so maybe the description i’m looking for is “fun to talk to”?

To reply you must either login or sign up.