Forum › Dandelion Among Lilies discussion

Rsz_11rsz_029_001_08
joined Jul 8, 2013

Here's how I see the situation:

Mizuho probably confronted their parents about her sexuality (confusion) and was given a negative reaction; since she was pretty and nice and because everyone had a positive opinion about her, they didn't want this to tarnish her reputation. So she leaves without giving Kana a reason. Growing up with everyone being envious of and looking up to her, Mizuho probably felt like what they were seeing was fake; it's probably why she used to help out with everything and seemed perfect but now she's pretty much a slob, so they didn't actually like HER but her image. Once she left home to live alone she felt like she could be herself, which is why her room is a disaster the beginning of chapter 3.

She meets Ena at work and after a while she probably tells Mizuho of her sexuality as she confesses (because she always shows she's comfortable being with another woman), so Mizuho takes this as a chance to not only experiment and prove that she really might like women (which is why she gave an awkward laugh when Kana asks about boyfriends), but to be with someone who for once doesn't care about what or who she is, instead Ena loves her for being her, and they end up going out. However, Ena's constant coddling and doting on her manipulates her mind into believing that if she continues her attitude and lifestyle then Ena will continue to love her and will never leave her (and Ena can't anyway since she already tried and broke down); this would end the trauma she endured and she's happy. But that doesn't mean Ena is, so I can totally understand why she reacts the way she does at the end of chapter 3.

Now through the years that she talks to Kana, she feels comfortable enough with her to show her she has a girlfriend, but with all the suspicion going around about them, she starts thinking negatively of their relationship because of the ongoing hardships she has to go through. Kana is seemingly straight and is shown their intimacy very quickly without notice, so she is bound to act pretty much awkwardly when it randomly happens; this confuses Mizuho into thinking she might be homophobic, which is why she pretty much suspected Kana was uncomfortable with them being around after they stayed for a few days. I'm guessing the intimacy is Mizuho's way of saying, "I'm actually gay, look at us." Instead of doing it out of love for Ena, so she's pretty much forcing herself to love her since nobody else can (her lifestyle) or will (negative opinions about lesbians). Well, not so much forcing as she is convincing; she probably cares for Ena a lot, but not in that way.

Kana is pretty hard to crack, but I suspect she's that typical "main character thrown into a bizarre situation" to simply watch things as they play out while being the middle man and help the two mend their already breaking relationship.

Man that was long...

last edited at Jul 26, 2013 10:37PM

joined Sep 14, 2011

Found this on Binbou's translations (not a bad scan site):

"Yuri Koi, the manga that publishes Dandelion Among Lilies, Happy End, and Her Trip to the Dentist, will be going on a "short hiatus." I was able to find the blog for the creator of Dandelion and she basically says it's done for good.
They're still releasing new chapters through e-book for now. Dandelion has finished with six chapters, Happy End is up to six and unfinished (hoping it does get finished because chapter six is amazing), and Dentist has had only two chapters for a while now. Will probably have more info by the time we actually release a chapter from these."

Hope this is not considered uncouth to post this here. I thought it was relevant due to what's released in that magazine.

Pic1
joined Aug 29, 2013

I did a bit of browsing and came across the 4th chapter (untranslated). Without spoiling, we may just get some reaction to this in here later. However, it exposes more on what Mizuho feels about Ena.

I'm hoping Mizuho and Ena will get their happily ever after! Not that I'm against NTR, but I just don't prefer Kana with Ena. It's better if she stays attached to her boyfriend.

Topbow3
joined Feb 11, 2013

It's better if she stays attached to her boyfriend.

boyfriend

shudders

Anyway, I thought she'd already broke up with him harshly. That relationship is irreparable :3

last edited at Oct 29, 2013 4:55AM

Pic1
joined Aug 29, 2013

It's better if she stays attached to her boyfriend.

boyfriend

shudders

Anyway, I thought she'd already broke up with him harshly. That relationship is irreparable :3

Okay, then maybe another girlfriend for Kana that isn't Ena? :D

last edited at Oct 29, 2013 5:35PM

VampireKnight234
joined Oct 26, 2013

I have a feeling that Kana will end up with Ena. I hope that's not what happens but I bet it will ...am I the only one who doesn't want that to happen?

if anyone knows please tell me so I can stop reading before that happens...I couldn't take the disappointment -.-

last edited at Nov 24, 2013 2:01AM

Canaan2
joined May 9, 2013

Well that kind of clears up Mizuho's terrible performance as a girlfriend up to this point. She's cripplingly self-conscious and insecure (probably not helped by living in that beacon of tolerance and equality, Japan) about homosexuality and her relationship, worsened by her former boyfriend's affair and her homophobic rant to said affair. Maybe she thinks that she's being two timed again and is in the position she was ranting against before?

So I'm going to guess the plot will be about Kana getting her sister to stop wallowing in insecurity for ten minutes to actually be a proper girlfriend.

last edited at Jan 1, 2014 8:08PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Well that kind of clears up Mizuho's terrible performance as a girlfriend up to this point. She's cripplingly self-conscious and insecure (probably not helped by living in that beacon of tolerance and equality, Japan) about homosexuality and her relationship, worsened by her former boyfriend's affair and her homophobic rant to said affair. Maybe she thinks that she's being two timed again and is in the position she was ranting against before?

So I'm going to guess the plot will be about Kana getting her sister to stop wallowing in insecurity for ten minutes to actually be a proper girlfriend.

I want Kana to stay with Ena... And Mizuho is doing a terrific job to get that ending, Mizuho just went with the flow in the relationship and when the time merited, she didn't consider Ena's feelings, she didn't thought with the heart. I really wouldn't mind if they make up again, that's okay... I just like the little sister more even though she seems too hysteric.

Anyway, I was expecting more of this, thank you, Binbou!

Canaan2
joined May 9, 2013

I want Kana to stay with Ena... And Mizuho is doing a terrific job to get that ending, Mizuho just went with the flow in the relationship and when the time merited, she didn't consider Ena's feelings, she didn't thought with the heart. I really wouldn't mind if they make up again, that's okay... I just like the little sister more even though she seems too hysteric.

Oh Kana's definitely better than Mizuho and if Mizuho doesn't shape the fuck up soon than Ena should just drop her, but I can understand why she's so insecure and acting the way she does. The reason I doubt that Ena will leave though is that something like that seems like it'd have a very big, very bad impact on Mizuho, which might just be a bit too depressing for the author to actually make happen.

Pic1
joined Aug 29, 2013

Wow, either you must be a mind-reader, or foreseen an immediate part of the future. (A mini-spoiler, hope I don't get tossed out of here for posting this!)

last edited at Jan 1, 2014 9:38PM

Canaan2
joined May 9, 2013

You might want to do the whole black out thing, just in case.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

(A mini-spoiler, hope I don't get tossed out of here for posting this!)

I don't think anyone's that fickle. You could always just use spoiler tags if you're worried about it; like so.

joined Dec 29, 2013

Wow, either you must be a mind-reader, or foreseen an immediate part of the future.

Or, you know, able to see the obvious patterns of the genre.

joined Jul 8, 2013

wow. Such chapter. So details. Much explained.
WTF is this shit? Most worthless chapter I've ever seen in a manga. Clarified nothing. I'm not even sure if she even actually loves the blonde girl (I can't remember any of their names) anymore.

Sj%20celine%20icon
joined Mar 2, 2013

I love what people are thinking but I just wanna throw this out there XD
It's obvious Mizuho ended up being cheated on which probably gave her the feeling that all men were untrustworthy so oooh cliche lesbian reasoning. Her distrust turned her off from men and at one point she realized that if she can't trust men she'd end up gay just like that man who 'stole' her boyfriend. Essentially I feel that she forced herself into the homosexual category and Ena was just the ENAbler hahahaha omg I made a funny ;w;

So aside from that she may also just be afraid in general of cheating and I can tell she DOES care about Ena I can also tell she's too unstable though to feel safe around or in any relationship. To be honest she kind of reminds me of myself at one point in my life (anxiety ridden, cautious, scared, etc.). I can tell she cares because she's over analyzing her actions and words and realizing albeit too late the effect they're having on their relationship.

So there I have added my two cents and a terrible joke my night is complete XD

Canaan2
joined May 9, 2013

WTF is this shit? Most worthless chapter I've ever seen in a manga. Clarified nothing. I'm not even sure if she even actually loves the blonde girl (I can't remember any of their names) anymore.

So I'm going to assume the reasonable, if a bit hollow, first line is sarcasm while the hyperbolic complaints that followed were serious. If that's not than ignore some of the parts below that are meant for you:

Did you actually pay attention to what was happening before you rushed off to make a whiny comment? This chapter just showed us part of Mizuho's past that very likely led to her being so insecure and awkward in the relationship as well as giving her perspective of Ena's running away that one time in that she was worried.

She's overly self-conscious and insecure and that leads to her being non-confrontational to avoid problems as much as she can instead of facing them. I personally took that Mizuho does love Ena (I doubt that "I still love..." was referring to someone else considering she was talking about Ena right before and after) and that she might even think that Ena's cheating on her, putting her in that gay boyfriend's "disadvantageous" position.

This is pure plot information with some reasonable assumptions filling out the ambiguous bits.

Topbow3
joined Feb 11, 2013

wow.

such mad.

angre.

Japanese_eraser_cow_purple_large
joined Nov 5, 2011

I think Lifecharacter hit the nail on thhe head. At least I hope he's right.

I hope she wasnt saying "I still love [him]..." ... Swear to god, that NTR scent is all over the place.

Rsz_11rsz_029_001_08
joined Jul 8, 2013

I think Lifecharacter hit the nail on thhe head. At least I hope he's right.

I hope she wasnt saying "I still love [him]..." ... Swear to god, that NTR scent is all over the place.

Maybe she was saying: "[Despite what happened in the past] I still love [Ena]." Or at least, that's what I think. It'd be stupid to have her say she still loves her ex-boyfriend even though she knows he was cheating on her with another man.

Is it just me or were the panels in this chapter just... huge?

Doggirls-small
joined Jan 2, 2014

While Mizuho has her fair share of responsability for their relationship problems, Ena isn't blameless either. Remember that for what we saw in the flashback, she was the one to run away once Mizuho's insecurity flared up. She then came back expecting Mizuho to take the first step, without giving any indication she was going to do it herself. And her approach did not seem to have changed in the present day, despite previous failure.
I guess it's up to Kana to help them clear things up.

Sj%20celine%20icon
joined Mar 2, 2013

I personally took that Mizuho does love Ena (I doubt that "I still love..." was referring to someone else considering she was talking about Ena right before and after) and that she might even think that Ena's cheating on her, putting her in that gay boyfriend's "disadvantageous" position.

This is pure plot information with some reasonable assumptions filling out the ambiguous bits.

I am waiting to say whether or not the I still love was for Ena because if it was it wouldn't need to be so ambiguous so there's still that slim chance she's talking about her ex boyfriend.

joined Dec 29, 2013

By that same logic you could say if it was for the ex-boyfriend there's no need to be so ambiguous. She just got done having a flash back saying she loved him, why reiterate the point.

It was cut off to build suspense in the story, a kind of cheap literary device.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

While Mizuho has her fair share of responsability for their relationship problems, Ena isn't blameless either. Remember that for what we saw in the flashback, she was the one to run away once Mizuho's insecurity flared up. She then came back expecting Mizuho to take the first step, without giving any indication she was going to do it herself. And her approach did not seem to have changed in the present day, despite previous failure.
I guess it's up to Kana to help them clear things up.

A relation is build by two, I don't think that Ena should make the first step... Always. I mean, I've been in situations where my pride didn't matter so much in a balance... But I wouldn't want to be in a relation where is an obligation to forgive, where there's no signal of changing, eventually you would feel that you're forcing things to go right alone knowing that your partner won't take the initiative.

Doggirls-small
joined Jan 2, 2014

A relation is build by two, I don't think that Ena should make the first step... Always. I mean, I've been in situations where my pride didn't matter so much in a balance... But I wouldn't want to be in a relation where is an obligation to forgive, where there's no signal of changing, eventually you would feel that you're forcing things to go right alone knowing that your partner won't take the initiative.

I meant taking the first step in talking, confronting Mizuho instead of waiting for her to do something. To me, their relationship doesn't look like they go from problem to problem and Ena is always the one making the first step in solving them. It feels more like Mizuho's attitude slowly built up and eventually made Ena realise there was an underlying problem. She then walk away and come back, which made Mizuho realise in turn they have problem (possibly not knowing exactly what).
Yet none of them make a move.

And don't get me wrong : I do think Mizuho is the one who will have to make the effort to change, and I wouldn't blame Ena if, after they have their talk, she decides it's not going to work and ends the relationship. But doing nothing is the worst possible reaction.

joined Apr 13, 2012

i had to reread the whole thing and read all of your explanations to get to understand a little, ugh, this is so angsty... i can't decide on what i'm rooting for, i need a little more development
This manga is troublesome, if i were Ena i would have surely throw the towel but I've been in the position where i get fired because of weird rumors or getting out of the closet so i can see why would Mizuho worry... still, this doesn't seem quite right.
i don't know what to think anymore, i'll just wait for the next one >_<

To reply you must either login or sign up.