Forum › Nanashi no Asterism discussion

Screenshot_2016-11-14-13-53-17(2)
joined Feb 7, 2014

^^ totally agree
In one of the chapters we saw that being a friend and wanting to be more than that is crap because as a friend you felt your friendship was a lie when you found out your friends see you in a romantical way.

When kootoka who is afraid of society point of view knows she and her friends are in a love triangle obviously wants to change that , yes , force your friend to get a boyfriend is no excuse but also she wants to stay with Tsukasa even as a friend

Girl%20with%20a%20black%20cat%20avatar
joined Dec 27, 2015

Very complicated.
Someone will get hurt.
Everyone is already hurt.

I'm curious now to see how the author rehabilitates Katooka .

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Kotooka is great ok everyone, please stop the Kotooka shaming, the poor girl doesnt deserve it

Kotooka is going through the SHIT right now. She has to deal with the fact that she likes one of her best friends, who in turn likes another one of her best friends, who in turn likes her and she KNOWS that someone is gonna get hurt but it's slowly killing her not being able to talk about it

This js why I think she told Asakura about Tsukasa having a one-sided love - i mean trying to piss him off was probably another reason (how dare you just try and be her friend when you could so easily go out with her UNLIKE ME) - but I think its most likely because she needs to talk about the terrible situation they are all in, and that she kind of wants someone to figure it out (I mean she was very close to telling them all something about it today, but then changed her mind and decided to hide away behind the fact shes going out with another boy)

I don't like that she keeps pushing Tsukasa and Asakura together, but I totally understand why she's doing it Really shes doing it more for herself than for Tsukasa's benefit

Regardless, I still think Kotooka's character is hella interesting, the fact that she is willing to let Asakura have Tsukasa but Washio and Tsukasa? NOPE. Its a refreshingly selfish side of a character and its very human in its messiness. Why should Washio be able to have her if I can't?? Its easier to lose to a guy, compared to losing to your other female best friend

I am SUPER excited for the Washio chapter next though, we havent heard through her perspective enough! Man I love how messy this story is getting, I really have no clue how its going to wrap itself up

last edited at Dec 21, 2016 4:36PM

joined Jun 30, 2015

I don't mind this kind of development. It's not as if Kotooka is actually wrong about the situation; she's just hilariously untalented at fixing it (if it even has a fix to begin with).

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

No, it's different, at least for me she gets pissed because even if they feel the same way... he is a man, something that Kotooka no matter what can not be, so seeing him in the same position, with feelings of love but saying "nah, it's cool" piss her off, damn I would've be pissed too because she wants to be in his shoes and take the chance but she has fears and doubts because of society, the feelings of Washio and whatnot. That doesn't make her insane like some people say ._.

Some of you seem to want the fluffy yuri, the kiss and happy ending but Kootoka (that knows the secret of everyone except Subaru because it doesn't matter) knows very well that at least one will get hurt pretty bad, in top of that is one of her friends who will surfer and on top of that even if she gets love, there's that fear that it won't last because the obvious reasons.

Not only I would be frustrated, I will get fucking pissed and sad... You guys might have better ideas or a course of action to deal with a lesbian love triangle between friends, and one without the "fuck society and the future!!" I hope, but of course in an spectator point of view, with cool mind and without fear or attachments, it's easy.

Maybe later we will see Washio or Tsukasa getting mad and saying "What gives you the right to decide that for us?!" and you know, that will piss me off.

This is a very good post, even though i slightly disagree with you in some stuff, it really describes Kotooka's character perfectly. Anyways, i don't think Kotooka is insane like some people suggest, i think she is just a really selfish person.

I get her motivations and why she does all the things she does, i really do, but has she ever stopped and think how would her actions affect her friends she loves so much? She is not thinking about whats best for her friends at all, she is thinking about whats best for her. For example, she clearly knows Tsukasa is not interested in Asakura, yet she's still trying to force them into a relationship because she says she would hate if she gets with Washio. Would she still act the same way if Tsukasa was interested in her?

joined Jun 30, 2015

She is not thinking about whats best for her friends at all, she is thinking about whats best for her.

Wait, in which universe is she prioritizing herself over her friends? She's hollowing herself out emotionally to try to nudge them into what's considered socially normal; which is super important in any Confucian society. There's a difference between what you can have and what society considers acceptable for you to have, Kotooka is apparently the only one to consider this in her group. This honestly makes her more mature than her peers, at least until we get a POV from Washio.

Would she still act the same way if Tsukasa was interested in her?

To be honest, probably.

For me her intention's about as good as it gets, minus the bit of bitterness on the side and who can blame her. The only thing that can possibly be criticized is how sloppily she's handling it and I give it a pass. Mainly because she's a teenager dealing with garbage people twice her age still don't have a handle on.

last edited at Dec 21, 2016 6:25PM

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

Wait, in which universe is she prioritizing herself over her friends? She's hollowing herself out emotionally to try to nudge them into what's considered socially normal; which is super important in any Confucian society. There's a difference between what you can have and what society considers acceptable for you to have, Kotooka is apparently the only one to consider this in her group. This honestly makes her more mature than her peers, at least until we get a POV from Washio.

How is forcing people you care about into doing stuff they clearly don't want to do not selfish? She is not thinking about what her friends might feel about the whole situation, she's thinking what society would think of her and her friends. You shouldn't worry what others think about you, especially if you're not hurting others or yourself and you're happy. Denying someone you said you care about from that happiness is the most selfish act i can think of, doesn't matter if the intention is good.

To be honest, probably.

For me her intention's about as good as it gets, minus the bit of bitterness on the side and who can blame her. The only thing that can possibly be criticized is how sloppily she's handling it and I give it a pass. Mainly because she's a teenager dealing with garbage people twice her age still don't have a handle on.

I don't think she would be doing the stuff as forcefully as she is right now if Tsukasa was into her instead of Washio. I think she would've been more subtle in her approach and less open about her boyfriends since that would hurt the person she loves.

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Felt sorry for Asakura this chapter, getting beat on by Kotooka so much.

Img_2519
joined Nov 1, 2016

Just read this chapter.
All I gott say is: Kotooka can fuck right off.
Not in the category of irredeemable though lol
Not yet

joined Feb 15, 2013

Holy fuck this chapter is shit.

You want to know how shitty it is, just take shit and rub into your eyes!!!!

Love triangle is complicated enough. And the author still force love het hexagon on us.

last edited at Dec 21, 2016 10:18PM

joined Jun 30, 2015

She is not thinking about what her friends might feel about the whole situation

This and

she's thinking what society would think of her and her friends.

are not mutually exclusive to the betterment of her friend's lives.

You shouldn't worry what others think about you, especially if you're not hurting others or yourself and you're happy.

You clearly haven't grown up in confucian society and/or culture. What other people think of you matters. Alot. It is absolutely irrelevant if they're hurting anyone else. And the regards of general society to the characters in this manga also matter alot.

Which is why Asakura hides his sentai-show hobby.

Why Tsukasa is ashamed of her brother.

Why nobody talks about their personal issues with their immediate friends. But instead try to maneuver around each other.

And also why Kotooka is trying to get her friends to go straight.

Arguing that "other people's opinions don't matter" while the actions and motivations of the entire cast are guided by cultural customs and dictates of social normality is asinine. Blithely letting your friends "do whatever their emotions tell them to want" is not only irresponsible and immature, but also hilariously stupid in this context.

Kotooka is one hundred and ten percent mismanaging the situation, but I absolutely see where she's coming from. If she were trying this with a dash more delicacy and a shitton more competence, I would be rooting for her.

last edited at Dec 21, 2016 11:06PM

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

She is not thinking about what her friends might feel about the whole situation

This and

she's thinking what society would think of her and her friends.

are not mutually exclusive to the betterment of her friend's lives.

You clearly haven't grown up in confucian society and/or culture. What other people think of you matters. Alot. It is absolutely irrelevant if they're hurting anyone else. And the regards of general society to the characters in this manga also matter alot.

The author is clearly showing how stupid and unnecesary it is to worry so much about what other people think since opening up with those close to you clears tons of fucking confusion. Thats why Washio and Tsukasa got closer to each other, thats why Asakura and Subaru became friends and thats why Kotooka is slowly drifting apart from those she cares about.

Which is why Asakura hides his sentai-show hobby.

Not really comparable to lesbian relationships though. And thats common behavior from a kid his age, since its around that age that they think liking stuff they used to like as kids is lame.

Why Tsukasa is ashamed of her brother.

Tsukasa isn't ashamed of him, she's afraid that other people might see that as something weird and might ridicule him for it.

Why nobody talks about their personal issues with their immediate friends. But instead try to maneuver around each other.

Thats just because they're fucking dumb. But Asakura and Washio did open up to their friends and, like i said before, got actually closer to them thanks to that.

And also why Kotooka is trying to get her friends to go straight.

The only character who's actually doing shitty stuff for the sake of society and not her friends sake.

Arguing that "other people's opinions don't matter" while the actions and motivations of the entire cast are guided by cultural customs and dictates of social normality is asinine. Blithely letting your friends "do whatever their emotions tell them to want" is not only irresponsible and immature, but also hilariously stupid in this context.

Yeah, because kids need to be mature and highly responsible at that age. Fuck enjoying life and doing what they like, society wants them to drain their lives from that nonsense.

Kotooka is one hundred and ten percent mismanaging the situation, but I absolutely see where she's coming from. If she were trying this with a dash more delicacy and a shitton more competence, I would be rooting for her.

I see where she's coming from too, that doesn't mean she's doing the right thing or the best thing for her friends either. It just means that she's been burned before and doesn't want to get burned again.

joined Jun 30, 2015

The author is clearly showing how stupid and unnecesary it is to worry so much about what other people think since opening up with those close to you clears tons of fucking confusion.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with how justified Kotooka is in taking her stance. Just because the author is criticizing a problem doesn't mean it stops existing.

The only character who's actually doing shitty stuff for the sake of society and not her friends sake.

Usually doing what's best for her friends is fitting them into society's grain. Agree to disagree, because I feel we're just going to talk over each other on this point.

Yeah, because kids need to be mature and highly responsible at that age. Fuck enjoying life and doing what they like, society wants them to drain their lives from that nonsense.

Literally everyone else around them deals with it to a lesser or larger degree. You can argue that that's stupid, but Kotooka is still doing what she thinks is best for her friends and not because she's secretly this selfish narcissist who doesn't take anyone else's feelings into consideration.

I see where she's coming from too, that doesn't mean she's doing the right thing or the best thing for her friends either. It just means that she's been burned before and doesn't want to get burned again.

It's either you or me that's completely misreading her character. Because when you say "I see where she's coming from" then a sentence comes out that I disagree with on every word, then there's probably a problem somewhere. We have been watching her monologue just how well she's aware of her friends feelings for literally chapters. Needing to fit into normality instead of standing out is virtue; how much that applies in this particular case is up to opinions. But, again, sure just ignore the context. You disagree with how she handles the situation = she only gives a crap about not getting hurt again personally.

last edited at Dec 22, 2016 8:42AM

joined Sep 19, 2014

That answer with the isosceles triangle is the kind of answer I made myself at the same age because I found it stupid to prove what kind of triangle it was when they asked it in the question ahaha XD It brings memories XD

It's not a love triangle anymore by the way X)

That's how I see Kotooka's point of view for the moment:

Kotooka has too much knowledge in her hands, she knows almost everyone's feelings and see all possibles outcomes of their love triangle. She doesn't love Washio like that for the moment and she knows her love for Tsukasa is one-sided. She wants them to stay as they are.
She is so affraid of being left behind by her friends if they were becoming a couple that she doesn't hesitate to use Asakura's love for Tsukasa at her advantage to try keeping their friendship intact. Pushing Tsukasa in his arms and all...
I think she feels she would be more hurt to see Tsukasa and Washio (her two best friends+ both female) together than seeing Tsukasa with a guy...

But in this chapter she seems to realize than even if Asakura and her "are the same", their way of deeling with love is different. And I guess she got pissed of because in a way she felt defeated by him...

And I have the feeling that Asakura's going to end up with Subaru in the end but I don't know of course ^^'

It's only an impression I got reading the manga I don't know if Kotooka really feels like this or not.

last edited at Dec 22, 2016 2:50PM

Asukaoriii
joined Jul 24, 2015

KittyCatOmaniac posted:

I think Kotooka somehow, ALMOST realized how silly she was being trying to justify pushing Asakura onto Shiratori. She wants to remain friends, because she doesn't want to ruin what they have right now. When Asakura uses the exact same excuse, she gets pissed and frustrated because any sort of rebuttal would be a rebuttal against her own excuse! The struggle is real! xD

No, it's different, at least for me she gets pissed because even if they feel the same way... he is a man, something that Kotooka no matter what can not be, so seeing him in the same position, with feelings of love but saying "nah, it's cool" piss her off, damn I would've be pissed too because she wants to be in his shoes and take the chance but she has fears and doubts because of society, the feelings of Washio and whatnot. That doesn't make her insane like some people say ._.

Some of you seem to want the fluffy yuri, the kiss and happy ending but Kootoka (that knows the secret of everyone except Subaru because it doesn't matter) knows very well that at least one will get hurt pretty bad, in top of that is one of her friends who will surfer and on top of that even if she gets love, there's that fear that it won't last because the obvious reasons.

Not only I would be frustrated, I will get fucking pissed and sad... You guys might have better ideas or a course of action to deal with a lesbian love triangle between friends, and one without the "fuck society and the future!!" I hope, but of course in an spectator point of view, with cool mind and without fear or attachments, it's easy.

Maybe later we will see Washio or Tsukasa getting mad and saying "What gives you the right to decide that for us?!" and you know, that will piss me off.

Great post.
Although I don't agree with the way Kotooka is handling things she's the one I'm rooting for. I have a soft spot for fucked up/self-destructive characters.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Here's another lesbian love triangle that came to a good end: http://dynasty-scans.com/series/if_this_wish_comes_true. And the odd one out also got her resolution and a good end: http://dynasty-scans.com/series/all_you.

I just thought I'd point one out where I thought the characters handled it better. Since I really don't want to post what I'm thinking about Kotooka right now.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Since I really don't want to post what I'm thinking about Kotooka right now.

You sure you don't wanna get it out of your chest? It's not very healthy to keep your emotions tucked inside y'know

Timheadshot_5050
joined Nov 4, 2016

Hm lessee...

Tsukasa x Asakura.
Washio x Subaru.
Kotooka x Saitou.

There, fix'd it.

E19418efd5cf90129f366e240e5156b3
joined Sep 12, 2014

Honestly, anyone saying that Kotooka is being "selfish" is just plain wrong, and objectively so. She's misguided, definitely, but not selfish. Nothing she's ever done has been for her own sake. In fact, it's almost always been detrimental to it. Her wanting herself and her friends to be "normal" is just straight up a Japanese self-sacrificial stereotype at this point. She's convinced that the road to happiness for herself and her friends is for them to be normal in society's eyes. She's like a parent who is convinced that they know what's best for their child, even when it goes against the child's own wants and preferences. Everyone thinks that their way is the best way.

Honestly, this whole love triangle seems like a friggin' paradox at this point; if one of them gets what they want, then the others end up miserable. If none of them end up getting what they want, then they end up miserable. Or, as Kootoka seems to think; if none of them gets what they want, then they'll all be miserable together for a while, but at least they'll manage to keep a little happiness in the form of their friendship. Like I said, misguided as fuck, but in no way selfish.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Now that the chapter 14 has been translated (and Very fast I must say! Thank you so much Hachimitsu group X)! Dunno if come here to read our opinions, I'll go there too) I guess we...

Know more about Washio? for those who root for her this should be a good chapter... But for me it was more something sweet complementary, this chapter came out late! really... Move it to the first 5 chapters and it won't make a difference.
She was closed to find out something about Kootoka, the reasons of her suffering, just like the other 2 did with their respective ship... But I guess, it can't happen 3 times

last edited at Dec 23, 2016 10:15AM

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

Prime example of how a manga with a good starting turns into a shitty manga when author keep pushing an inwanted male character down readers' throats only to drag the story.

Cuz yuri obviously can't be good without unwanted forced male characters and forced drama. rolling eyes

last edited at Dec 23, 2016 11:40AM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

She was closed to find out something about Kootoka, the reasons of her suffering, just like the other 2 did with their respective ship... But I guess, it can't happen 3 times

Kinda fucked up that Kotooka was already obsessing over being normal at that time, she only found out about Washio way later

last edited at Dec 23, 2016 12:53PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Kyonne posted:

Kinda fucked up that Kotooka was already obsessing over being normal at that time, she only found out about Washio way later

I don't know, she really thinks that a broken heart can be cured with another relationship... And so far it hasn't worked, when she found out about Washio's feeling, things just got ... complicated, she was thinking just like Washio "I can't confess because that will only lead to problems" and then finds out how Shiratori feels, and then Washio... I don't want to be in her shoes to be honest.

I like this manga but I'm glad that it only has 2 volumes if I understood correctly.

last edited at Dec 23, 2016 1:57PM

joined Feb 23, 2016

I'm so excited for next chapter :)

joined Aug 19, 2012

washio is boring

last edited at Dec 23, 2016 6:50PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.