Forum › Nibutani Morisummer's Birthday discussion

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I remember watching the anime and seeing how the this couple was waaaaay more interesting than the main one, and then Kyoani give us a kiss in the ova and so much of them in s2... Is like Kyoani wants to go full yuri but it's pride doesn't let him

joined Feb 15, 2013

Yeah the pairing was totally canon, and pretty much stole the show!!

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Too bad the ending of the first season and pretty much the entirety of the second season was a hot mess, S2 especially was a completely unnecessary sequel that went absolutely nowhere because it was too busy endlessly repeating all the stupid gags of the original and tapping the reset button whenever characters almost had some development going on. Just another chapter of "what could have been great" from Kyoani's book.

joined Jan 8, 2014

Lol, well lucky us that it provided some inspiration for a mangaka!

Haven't seen the show in forever but this totally brought the characters back to life!

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I remember watching the anime and seeing how the this couple was waaaaay more interesting than the main one, and then Kyoani give us a kiss in the ova and so much of them in s2... Is like Kyoani wants to go full yuri but it's pride doesn't let him

If by "its pride" you mean "homophobic Japanese societal mores."

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

No, othe studios like Dogakobo, Silver Link or Studio Gokumi have no issues with this.

2015-01-21%2018.42.01
joined May 17, 2014

No, othe studios like Dogakobo, Silver Link or Studio Gokumi have no issues with this.

I think it's more fetishizied than anything else. The same way lolis and maids are. Just another thing for guys to get off to.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Have any of those studios produced a work with an actual textual romantic relationship between two woman, or has it all been subtextual fanservice for straight dudes like New Game!

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

Doga Kobo did first two Yuru Yuri series, if that's what he's talking about(they're also on bait-happy New Game!).

Silver Link is master of the service-happy Prisma Illya adaptations and Yuri Kuma Arashi.

The only series Gokumi put out I've watched are Nakaimo and Kinmoza. Somebody else will have to discuss their yuri quotient.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Doga Kobo did first two Yuru Yuri series, if that's what he's talking about(they're also on bait-happy New Game!).

Silver Link is master of the service-happy Prisma Illya adaptations and Yuri Kuma Arashi.

The only series Gokumi put out I've watched are Nakaimo and Kinmoza. Somebody else will have to discuss their yuri quotient.

So yeah all bait no actual fish.

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

So yeah all bait no actual fish.

Whether Yuru Yuri is bait or actual fish is arguable, but Yuri Kuma Arashi is DEFINITELY not bait at all. It's confusing as hell, but it's definitely not bait. It's not for everyone, but... it is yuri, so I'd recommend it. I don't know much about Prisma Illya, but the fact that Illya's apparently in love with her brother is enough to convince me to stay the hell away from it, even if her and Miyu make a cute couple.

I don't know a thing about Nakaimo, but a cursory glance at the Wikipedia page shows "harem" and "not really his sister," so I'm not planning on watching that either. In my opinion, if you're going to insert something as dumb as het incest, at least make it actual incest!

As for Kinmoza... it's pretty debatable how yuri it is, but the subtext level is high enough for me to consider it yuri (On a side note, the Wikipedia page for Kinmoza lists its genre as "yuri" even though I've never seen any other site place it in the yuri genre... I wonder why). In terms of yuri bait, it's certainly in a different category from New Game... besides, Kinmoza combines my two favorite things: yuri and Britain (it's a shame they couldn't get actual British VAs who knew Japanese, that would have been amazing). How could I ever dislike it?

Edit: Another tidbit from the Kinmoza Wikipedia page: apparently, Karasuma is "kind of a lolicon for Alice" now? I know that Wikipedia isn't the most reliable place, but where the hell did this come from?

last edited at Sep 15, 2016 9:27PM

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Ah I missed YKA in there. I've kinda ignored it because from what I've heard it's like surrealist yuri which isn't my cup of tea.

If you have to mention "subtext level" than it's not textually gay which is my entire point.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Ah I missed YKA in there. I've kinda ignored it because from what I've heard it's like surrealist yuri which isn't my cup of tea.

If you have to mention "subtext level" than it's not textually gay which is my entire point.

Technically isn't all subtext part of the text?

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

By textual I mean overtly acknowledged rather than covertly implied. Subtext is implied in the text but whether it's actually there or not is a matter of interpretation.

last edited at Sep 17, 2016 8:50AM

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

I don't know a thing about Nakaimo, but a cursory glance at the Wikipedia page shows "harem" and "not really his sister," so I'm not planning on watching that either. In my opinion, if you're going to insert something as dumb as het incest, at least make it actual incest!

I put Nakaimo there because otherwise I'd have to write a novel to be more specific about what I hadn't seen that might be relevant.

(Though I think you might have misread that description a tad: Nakaimo is about avoiding incest since it could cause a major scandal, if nothing else. It's one of the better excuses why MC-kun can't just pick a girl I've seen.)

As for Kinmoza... it's pretty debatable how yuri it is, but the subtext level is high enough for me to consider it yuri (On a side note, the Wikipedia page for Kinmoza lists its genre as "yuri" even though I've never seen any other site place it in the yuri genre... I wonder why)

The closest it comes to firm yuri is the fact that Aya wants Yoko bad. There are other ships teased, but nothing comes of them. Unless Aya finally works up the nerve or Yoko gets a clue, it's just subtext.

To reply you must either login or sign up.