Forum › The Flower discussion

Art
joined Jan 31, 2013

Even though this is rather lighthearted story, the author really conveyed the undertone of identity struggle experienced by a transgender well, in my opinion anyway.
I'm not a trans and have never met one, so I don't really understand the magnitude of their problem especially if they live in homophobic country. A lot of people response bad about finding out that someone is a transgender. I bet, judging from Yuki's expression when telling the story, Lulu is not the only person she knew murdered because who she is.
As a side note, I heard that the term trap is demeaning. As demeaning as calling a woman bitch. Just a little 2 cent from me.

last edited at Jan 18, 2015 3:51AM

Rena_home_1
joined Aug 8, 2012

As a side note, I heard that the term trap is demeaning. As demeaning as calling a woman bitch. Just a little 2 cent from me.

That's not necessarily true. There are trans people who think like that and there are those who don't mind at all. It's just like one person being offended by something and another person being totally okay with it.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

That's not necessarily true. There are trans people who think like that and there are those who don't mind at all. It's just like one person being offended by something and another person being totally okay with it.

"Trap" is based pretty much entirely on "they're dressing that way to trick you", which is pretty gross to people who have to deal with that idea in the real world. Fans who have the luxury of being able to ignore that generally don't mind a bit. Funny how that works.

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

i don't like what the author did to yoshino, bring back prince yoshino.

last edited at Jan 18, 2015 7:15PM

joined Dec 28, 2014

"Trap" is based pretty much entirely on "they're dressing that way to trick you", which is pretty gross to people who have to deal with that idea in the real world. Fans who have the luxury of being able to ignore that generally don't mind a bit. Funny how that works.

A trap is when a guy looks exactly like a girl.

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

naturally without working hard to look like a girl?

Art
joined Jan 31, 2013

I'm sorry if I look condescending here. But, since you guys are pretty open-minded about lesbian and gay topics, I thought it'd be appropriate to put this topic out here.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Which is exactly why it's demeaning to transgender women.

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Frankly, I don't see why it should be demeaning.

For one, trap is used on pretty specific contexts (mainly when talking about fiction) that rarely refer to people who fully identify as transgender and what is more, they never refer to transgendered women.

I could believe some transgendered women feel offended by the "reverse trap" term but even then, it seems somewhat of a stretch

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

For one, trap is used on pretty specific contexts (mainly when talking about fiction) that rarely refer to people who fully identify as transgender and what is more, they never refer to transgendered women.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Oh wait, you're serious. I guess you haven't seen it used as an insult against trans women online. It's not rare, by any means.

I could believe some transgendered women feel offended by the "reverse trap" term but even then, it seems somewhat of a stretch

I'm pretty sure trans women will manage without you deciding what's insulting for them.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

The term trap specifically mean a MAN that looks like a woman. Implying that a transgender woman being referred to as a trap is a man. This isn't a difficult concept to grasp.

No shit, because it implies they look like a man when they are doing the best they can to do the exact opposite.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

This one shot really expressed a lot, the privilege we have but are not aware of
Isn't trap often used as an insult?
And if it is, I guess for those arguing that it isn't and for those who aren't sure, I suppose that it is simply privilege, once again, when you don't have to be worried about something and are blind to the struggles of those who are.

ಠ▃ಠ
K.

So I looked it up, and
"If you happen to not know this, “trap” is an offensive term in the transgender community as it implies that someone that's transgender is a liar, deceiver, and trying to trick people, when in actuality they're just being who they are."

last edited at Jan 8, 2016 10:28PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

So I looked it up, and
"If you happen to not know this, “trap” is an offensive term in the transgender community as it implies that someone that's transgender is a liar, deceiver, and trying to trick people, when in actuality they're just being who they are."

I mean heck, when you think about it the whole thing is pretty disrespectful of most crossdressers, who aren't doing it to fool anyone, but rather that's how they like to express themselves. "Trap" is a term entirely centred on the poor straight dude who wants to pretend he was lied to because no homo.

Optimized-tonari_no_robot
joined Aug 24, 2015

Thanks Nezchan as always, but I must ask why this discussion is even happening? The word trap is not mentioned once in the story. And I'm getting exceedingly tired of otaku shitheads trying to bring it up again and again. It's offesnive. It's demeaning. It's transphobic. And on a discussion thread of a story that highlights the everyday transphobia and violence that trans women experience (statistically 1 in 12 trans women end up murdered), it is simply disrespectful. So can we please move on to more productive conversation?

As for the actually story, I thought it was great. Shimura Takako is well known for her representation of trans people in her work and she does an excellent job in this one. It feels very real and it doesn't pull any punches, yet still remains easy to read and engaging. Though personally, I can't say I'd want to go on date with a guy who tried to feel me up on a train and has admitted to multiple counts of adultery ...

Koro-sensei-avatars.alphacoders.com
joined Feb 18, 2016

hi I like the setting of the train ride! its probably how a Japanese male/female rides to work every day; and so different from the car riding we do!

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

I feel like every once in a while I stumble across this one-shot again and re-read it and enjoy it all over again. It's so honest, straight forward, and a little cute. Gets the message across plain as day and just a great read. I wouldn't mind if the author ever wanted to expand on these two character's lives in a longer series, specifically Yuki but I think it'd be fun with the two of them.

joined Mar 19, 2022

"She was murdered."

That one line is the most memorable to me, this story does an incredible job at conveying some of the worst parts of the trans experience.

To reply you must either login or sign up.