Forum › Yuzumori-san discussion

joined Jun 30, 2015

Is it just me or this manga reminds me of Lolita?

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

It's obvious the author is aiming for that feeling of something NOT ok, but the cuteness of both protagonists is somehow disarming.

It's quite clever.

But ... but ... You yourself said that as long as it's yuri, it's ok (◎o◎)/

Is it just me or this manga reminds me of Lolita?

Lolita is het, Humbert is way older than Mimika tho. But the teasing side of Yuzumori reminds Lolita's, you're right about this.
Hope Yuzumori won't two time Mimika, and that Mimika won't end up killing Yuzumori's lover.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Admittedly the part where she helps Yuzumori's mom die, then "adopts" her and takes her on a cross-country trip, molesting her in cheap hotels all over Japan, then yuzumori becomes a child "art film" star is somewhat similar. Especially since so few Japanese directors are named Claire Quilty.

last edited at Aug 24, 2016 9:51PM

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

Admittedly the part where she helps Yuzumori's mom die, then "adopts" her and takes her on a cross-country trip, molesting her in cheap hotels all over Japan, then yuzumori becomes a child "art film" star is somewhat similar. Especially since so few Japanese directors are named Claire Quilty.

So, is that what happens in Lolita? Just another reason why I should stay the hell away from that thing.

last edited at Aug 24, 2016 9:54PM

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

^
Lolita is a masterpiece, that'd be a waste not to read / watch it, even if your point of view is understandable.

Funny thing, this story reminded some people of Lolita, lolicon is basically the contraction of Lolita complex. So more than a basic loli story, Yuzumori-san may turn out to be a story that takes its inspiration in the origin of the Lolicon itself !

MASTERPIECE OVERLOAD

last edited at Aug 24, 2016 10:00PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Holy hell, reading the Wikipedia article on Lolita, and I come across Robertson Davies, a writer who up until now I really enjoyed and respected, describing the theme as "not the corruption of an innocent child by a cunning adult, but the exploitation of a weak adult by a corrupt child. This is no pretty theme, but it is one with which social workers, magistrates and psychiatrists are familiar."

What an absolutely repellent point of view, which he apparently believes applies to real life. Particularly keeping in mind that the "corrupt child" in the novel is twelve years old.

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

^
Lolita is a masterpiece, that'd be a waste not to read / watch it, even if your point of view is understandable.

Funny thing, this story reminded some people of Lolita, lolicon is basically the contraction of Lolita complex. So more than a basic loli story, Yuzumori-san may turn out to be a story that takes its inspiration in the origin of the Lolicon itself !

MASTERPIECE OVERLOAD

Well, you know, it's okay if it's yuri! Hoshizawa Ginza District is completely fine! I can't think of any other loli yuri stuff other than that thing and this thing but they're completely fine! The funny thing is that I find Yuzumori-san more interesting than Hoshizawa precisely because of its similarities to Lolita (at least I presume the whole "goddamn it i'm falling in love with a little girl" thing is also in Lolita? If not, well, uh, I guess they both touch on the consequences more than most loli anime shit? They're both filled with a bunch of rationalizations and stuff? I don't know, I'm gonna need brain bleach after reading the Wikipedia article, so I'm not going to read it)... but I'm still never going to read Lolita... I know it's a masterpiece and all, but... yeah... a yuri version of Lolita would be fine by me though.

Holy hell, reading the Wikipedia article on Lolita, and I come across Robertson Davies, a writer who up until now I really enjoyed and respected, describing the theme as "not the corruption of an innocent child by a cunning adult, but the exploitation of a weak adult by a corrupt child. This is no pretty theme, but it is one with which social workers, magistrates and psychiatrists are familiar."

What an absolutely repellent point of view, which he apparently believes applies to real life. Particularly keeping in mind that the "corrupt child" in the novel is twelve years old.

Yuck, because that definitely happens in real life. I wanted to say some more stuff, but that's such a disgusting comment that I'm at a loss for words.

last edited at Aug 24, 2016 11:58PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Though children are not "corrupt", they lack not only the knowledge of what is right or wrong, but also the reasons behind. It's not because you tell them "this is wrong" that they will acknowledge it. Especially the smarter ones, who question the world and the adults. They see the immediate benefits, not the consequences.

If by "seducing" an adult (ie, doing or saying what they feel the adult wants) they get what they want (be it something material, or affection, or whatever) immediately, they feel it's worth it. Except they don't understand what it can lead to.

The responsibility relies squarely on adults, who know better, to manage that kind of behavior, and avoid playing that "game". Unfortunately, there are some weak adults out there, or "adult-childs", who were not given themselves that kind of education.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Hmm, i guess i just don't believe the whole idea of all children being %100 non-corrupt until the "magic" of adolescence, that there couldn't possibly be a child who would become "corrupt" without it being the effect of actions directly caused by an adult, i have the feeling i'm reading too much into this stuff now, thanks Yuzumori-san.

That is sort of the big question of Lolita as I understand it. Whether there really is a possibility, no matter how small, that Humbert is actually correct and the child really is seducing him. But the sensible conclusion is that it doesn't matter because the adult has an obligation regardless of the circumstances to protect the child from potential danger, including himself or herself, "true love" or not. And in my opinion no one in this comment section is reading too deeply into the story, because as consumers of art we have no choice but to accept the feelings we experience during the story as the intentions of the artist.

35c990f6-7c27-4620-972d-5aaee310af25-15976-00000b53e4662256
joined Jun 6, 2016

The more I read that Lolita's fucked up, the more I wanna read/watch it

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Though children are not "corrupt", they lack not only the knowledge of what is right or wrong, but also the reasons behind. It's not because you tell them "this is wrong" that they will acknowledge it. Especially the smarter ones, who question the world and the adults. They see the immediate benefits, not the consequences.

If by "seducing" an adult (ie, doing or saying what they feel the adult wants) they get what they want (be it something material, or affection, or whatever) immediately, they feel it's worth it. Except they don't understand what it can lead to.

The responsibility relies squarely on adults, who know better, to manage that kind of behavior, and avoid playing that "game". Unfortunately, there are some weak adults out there, or "adult-childs", who were not given themselves that kind of education.

If all this is the case, then these children cannot possibly provide meaningful consent. And we all know there's a word starting with R for sexual contact with someone who cannot provide consent, don't we? I mean it's not even ambiguous in your description, and being a "weak adult" really isn't an excuse.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I wasn't excusing anyone though?

It's always like, when you try to explain how some criminal thinks, you are immediately accused of finding them "excuses".

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

That is too cute and fun. People have to relax and take it less serious.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Fipse posted:

That is too cute and fun. People have to relax and take it less serious.

But my fictional characters are in danger :(

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

The more I read that Lolita's fucked up, the more I wanna read/watch it

When you go in expecting it it dulls a bit of the impact. But yeah, "something interestingly-fucked up to read" is what the the book was designed to be and it does a damn good job of it.

Tsw118
joined Feb 27, 2015

IMHO, Lolita should be read, first and foremost, as an example of mastery of language by someone who was not a native speaker. Also, Nabokov wrote the book both in english and in russian, so there's no "translation", they are both original versions.
I found that very impressive.

joined Oct 25, 2013

I really love this! Hahaha

joined Oct 12, 2013

Hmm, i guess i just don't believe the whole idea of all children being %100 non-corrupt until the "magic" of adolescence, that there couldn't possibly be a child who would become "corrupt" without it being the effect of actions directly caused by an adult, i have the feeling i'm reading too much into this stuff now, thanks Yuzumori-san.

There's nothing's inherently corrupt about sexual play - afaik there hasn't been a huge amount of study into it due to largely Puritan attitudes surrounding children, but it seems to be something quite natural that children partake of as they become aware of themselves and their sexuality. An adult taking advantage of a child for their personal satisfaction is pretty corrupt though.

But this is just a cute fictional mango, right?

Photo
joined Sep 4, 2016

I love this so much!

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

A new chapter came out ! Can't wait to see it translated.

Edit : Wow, it was fast. Thanks Dumbnut, keep on the good work.

last edited at Sep 5, 2016 3:12PM

0025_2d6ec0da0f4bf2e38ab1a00396fa809b
joined Feb 7, 2013

This series is getting scarier and scarier every chapter. Love it tho.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

The only response for this chapter:
http://i.imgur.com/L9rpccL.png

joined Mar 28, 2016

ok this was kind of creepy

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

This is just too good, it keeps getting better and better.
I'm just a big fan of this serie, if it is one day published, I might purcharse it.

Somehow, this chapter reminded me of this, except that Yuzumori is (as far as we know) not "corrupted" (to use the word that created quite a debate on the last page).

joined May 7, 2015

I like how angsty it is. This really is getting better.

Also, Mimika, Yuzumori can be your best-legal-waifu if you just hold on... eh... 10 years, you know!

To reply you must either login or sign up.