Forum › Fuel discussion

Natsuki
joined Feb 5, 2015

This was pretty good. However, I fail to see which part of the blonde girl is fat. Maybe she's not fit, but she definitely ain't fat. Her ex was just an asshole...

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Standards are different in Asia. I had a friend who went to work for a while in Japan and at first she was more than overweight bordering on obese : people never made any remark, probably because they thought it was a medical condition and they didn't want to pry. But then she dieted and lost a lot of weight.

Once she reached what we consider a normal weight in the west, it was then that people started to make remarks about how she was fat (even though she didn't think she was anymore).

Standards of what is considered a normal weight for japanese/korean/asian women is really thin. Not really healthy and lots of weight-shaming but this is how it is.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Really good stuff! I love tomboys. And a lot of anime seemed to call character fat while never actually drawing them any bigger. Never was sure what that was about.

It's about Japanese culture having horrible body image standards especially for women. Every shoujo manga where I see a skinny-ass high school girl going on a crash diet and that being portrayed as a totally normal and healthy thing to do makes me want to scream.

Gits-innocence4
joined Sep 22, 2013

...It's not about the protagonist actually being 'fat', but lazy.

When the Ex at the start says "Aren't you sorta... fat?" she's using it as a way-in to end the relationship 'cause she doesn't like how much of a 'slob' the protag. is. The heroine's so insecure and afraid of failure that she quits everything she starts the moment it gets hard, so she reacts out of anger at the Ex (partly because she literally isn't fat, but mainly 'cause she's insecure about her lifestyle), but winds up proving her right when she gets bored of exercising.

Being 'fit' becomes a cypher for simply being wanted or loved, which is compounded by the way she reacts to the athletic girl ("And those abs...!"). When she says "Running doesn't get you slim at all." she means 'Gets you noticed' as much as anything - having not lost any weight comes second, referring to how her attitude hasn't changed (and she partly knows that's why Athletic Girl ain't noticed!).

The protag. lashing out with 'You run 'cause you've got nothing better to do!' is inward facing; she feels Athletic Girl is an arrogant jerk ('cause she's hot) whilst feeling insecure ('cause she don't feel hot/ain't noticed). In the end it's revealed Athletic Girl liked her for who she was anyway (as someone that didn't care if she did get fat), and the subsequent epiphany makes the protag. feel like Athletic Girl will be the one to help her confidence so she can finally change her outlook/lifestyle for the better (which she's always wanted).

...or something.
I liked it, anyhow. Hope there's a sequel. C :

Untitled102_20231004232707
joined Mar 26, 2014

The fact she does not seem fat aside, she found someone who is willing to motivate her to be better and likes her for the asshole she is... not to mention that someone is super hot. Is it just me or did this girl just won the lotery?

Ugh I hate to admit it but you're right.

joined Mar 26, 2014

Really good stuff! I love tomboys. And a lot of anime seemed to call character fat while never actually drawing them any bigger. Never was sure what that was about.

It's about Japanese culture having horrible body image standards especially for women. Every shoujo manga where I see a skinny-ass high school girl going on a crash diet and that being portrayed as a totally normal and healthy thing to do makes me want to scream.

Uh huh it's everywhere even in Milk Morinaga's Girlfriend's ... In general it is a common place theme/cliche.

joined Mar 26, 2014

Standards are different in Asia. I had a friend who went to work for a while in Japan and at first she was more than overweight bordering on obese : people never made any remark, probably because they thought it was a medical condition and they didn't want to pry. But then she dieted and lost a lot of weight.

Once she reached what we consider a normal weight in the west, it was then that people started to make remarks about how she was fat (even though she didn't think she was anymore).

Standards of what is considered a normal weight for japanese/korean/asian women is really thin. Not really healthy and lots of weight-shaming but this is how it is.

Man that's bullshit. I don't mean that you're wrong or anything. Just that damn why is it like that in the east? What bitches.

last edited at Jul 20, 2016 7:50AM

joined Mar 26, 2014

plot twist: the ex gf and that dark haired girl are friends and that was all some prank to get to date her and change her attitude
since
she actually looks good and not fat at all
her attitude would be bothersome in a serious realtionship (in everything actually)
plus the ex gf and that woman used very similiar words

Interesting point of view.

35c990f6-7c27-4620-972d-5aaee310af25-15976-00000b53e4662256
joined Jun 6, 2016

Let's go jogging along the bank of a river in a rainstorm IN CROCS.

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/fuel#5 I've ran in crocs before and well, when it was wet it rubbed against my foot and peeled my skin. (No socks, and she ain't wearing socks either.)

I know right? Hell, that's painful. Shoes are really important when involving yourself in sports, etc.

joined Apr 18, 2013

Yeah, I get the fat thing being overboard, but running in Crocs still has me pissed off.

Large
joined Jun 4, 2012

i love this, just waiting for a sequel if there is one =3

joined Apr 26, 2016

Ignoring the different body standards it's not a right thing to say period honestly as a trans woman I constantly already feel bad about myself

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

She's as fat as Donut.

Screenshot_2016-12-27-13-58-01-1
joined Mar 23, 2014

Reading this at 10 in the morning when I'm supposed to go for a run

59453ac1563a3102b9b5731298ad55a7
joined Aug 31, 2014

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/fuel#5 I've ran in crocs before and well, when it was wet it rubbed against my foot and peeled my skin. (No socks, and she ain't wearing socks either.)

I know right? Hell, that's painful. Shoes are really important when involving yourself in sports, etc.

Crocs? that looked a lot like running shoes to me, the thinner ones that instead serving to absorb weight are more used to give you more adherence on the sole while being fit tight on the feet helping too.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

Crocs? that looked a lot like running shoes to me, the thinner ones that instead serving to absorb weight are more used to give you more adherence on the sole while being fit tight on the feet helping too.

They 've put the wrong page, here are the crocs : http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/fuel#4

last edited at Jul 20, 2016 1:45PM

59453ac1563a3102b9b5731298ad55a7
joined Aug 31, 2014

They 've put the wrong page, here are the crocs : http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/fuel#4

shit no wonder her feet are all bruised on that panel.

joined Jul 26, 2014

I think having high standards for body weight is a good thing, tbh. So many people nowadays are overweight so fat is now the new average, but average =/= acceptable. People should strive to improve themselves.

Screenshot_2018-10-31%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20fusoroi%20no%20renri%20ch13
joined Jul 1, 2014

I think having high standards for body weight is a good thing, tbh. So many people nowadays are overweight so fat is now the new average, but average =/= acceptable. People should strive to improve themselves.

Well, we have to be careful not to swing the pendulum back too far in the other direction. If we go from being super obese back to super skinny then we've learned nothing. I think all that anorexia in the 1990s were really what caused people to say fuck it and give up.

Rather than talk about body weight, we should talk about being healthy. And being healthy involves exercise and eating right.

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

I got to agree with cameron on this point.
And I want to add that everyone has their own morphology, which means some people will get fat even if they don't eat a lot and some won't gain weight and will remain skinny even if they eat 5-6 meals a day, while some people will be muscular even if they don't do anything ... frustrating, isnt it ?

And having trouble getting weight is way more annoying than you'd think. As an ectomorph, I barely gain weight even if I eat whatever comes to my hand. I happen to get remarks about me being skinny, and that's very frustrating to remain lightweight no matter what I do; so don't go calling anorexic someone skinny or fat someone overweight without knowning.

Everyone is different, and it's only up to you to decide if your own body is acceptable. Stop judging people, seriously ...

last edited at Feb 28, 2017 5:52PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

A match made in purgatory.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

Everyone is like he is, and it's only up to you to decide if your own body is acceptable.

My opinion summarized perfectly

People should strive to improve themselves how they want to and if they want to, don't go pushing your ideals on others. People should be how they feel comfortable.

Ss%20(2015-08-13%20at%2011.16.07)
joined Jul 3, 2015

You guys should be used by now, since in every manga/anime you can see skinny school girls complaining how they are fat and should go on a diet.

Ss%20(2015-08-13%20at%2011.16.07)
joined Jul 3, 2015

Also a pair of tomboys together is so hot. I really want a follow up.

joined Oct 12, 2013

all that anorexia in the 1990s were really what caused people to say fuck it and give up.

Haven't incidences of eating disorders double or tripled since the 90s?

To reply you must either login or sign up.