Forum › Yuri in other Media (list in first post)

Utena-240x146
joined Sep 13, 2015

About The 100 S3 ep 7: everything was foreshadowing Lexa's death. So I knew she was going to die but the way she died was stupid. Really, getting shot in friendly fire, I thought she was going to die in a cool way but nope. It’s like a horror movie everyone that has sex with Clarke dies lol. Now the ClarkeXBellemy fandom is happy. I don't really want that ship to happen as they have no chemistry together at all.

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

After calming down a bit I've decided that I'm just going to wait until season 3 is over to break out hell on the writers because with the whole City of Light storyline who knows what's going to happen?

I agree tho, the way she died was totally undeserving of her character.

Too bad a lot of people are going to abandon support for this show, after all it did bring out some of the greatest female characters/relationships I've seen on TV so far. Not just that, the story is cool af, I remember in season two when I got so hyped up about the world expanding.
The characters and stories and some of the good relationships still persist but they did majorly fuck up with what they did last episode..

And about the Xena reboot: we know it's never ever going to be as fantastic as the original so might aswell have the lowest expectations for it.

last edited at Mar 4, 2016 11:33AM

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

If the show tanks in the ratings, I hope the showrunner gets fired. It's their fault if it happens. Getting killed by friendly fire is just the worst type of cop out. I'd be ashamed and embarrassed to even putting that idea out there to the writers of a show.

She should have died in a blaze of glory, like saving Clarke from death by sacrificing herself. That would have been acceptable.

Lol%203
joined Sep 4, 2015

So I just watched The 100 ep 7, and I'm not angry, just sad and disappointed. I understand that Alycia DC (Lexa's actress) couldn't be on the show anymore, but there were better ways to handle that in-show. If Person of Interest could do it, so could they. That said, I still enjoy the show and the other characters (Titus really grew on me this episode, despite his actions.) and will continue to watch it.

Utena-240x146
joined Sep 13, 2015

I don't want the show to get cancelled yes it was a bit of bad writing on the Lexa part but there is a bigger picture, it reminds me of Lost. Lost was one of my fav tv shows. I like the unpredictability of The 100. People that abandon the show just because of that don't understand that this show isn't about romance ships. This isn't vampire diaries or some other teenage bullshit drama. People like to overreact. Yes I don't agree with what went down but the writers have the right to kill whoever they want, how they want. The city of light and the grounders is the interesting bit of the show. I personally will still support the show and people that are sending death threats over twitter are idiots and need a real life. It’s just fiction, like calm down; it’s funny as hell that people take it that seriously.

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Sending death threats over twitter is a bit much really... It is a teenage bullshit drama though, the main characters aren't any older than 21 I think. Lexa had to die, I get that, the actress was leaving the show. That's not really want I'm pissed about.

I'm personally waiting for the season to end before I get out the tar and feathers lol.

Edit: Even then, I don't think Lexa had to die, the writers were just being lazy. They could have just as easily worked out Alycia's leaving the way Shahi did on POI. Now, even if she would want to come back to the show in the future,, she can't because they killed off her character.

last edited at Mar 4, 2016 12:38PM

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Hey guys, someone is translating another yuri from Lezhin, Vengeance, they just released chapter 18 some days ago, only 22 chapters, the funny thing is that Lezhin decided to sell it in english like WDTFS, they already released 5 chapters some days ago, and by accident I found they're selling yet another yuri webcomic in english, Her Pet, now I wonder if they have any other yuri webcomic.

And again link to mangaupdates xD ghaaa I hate that web. They aren't uploading things there, only on imgur. That's why updates are also on Tumblr xD Her Pet or like in Korean Lezhin - Her Dog, Vengeance. They also started translating Broken Lily but stopped because other projects had higher priority.

Thanks for the links Alextasha.

So why exactly couldn't Alycia stay on the show anymore? And even if she had to die, are people complaining more about the fact that she died or because of how she died? Either way, even if the serie is not cancelled there might be some consequence to the genius who had the brilliant idea to kill her that way, I mean, if twitter is any indication they did lose over 35k fans in one day...

^ Oh, wait, forget I said anything. The new Xena showrunner is currently working on The 100 and he's been defending their shitty writing decision on Twitter. Dude is not on our side.
I accidentally rubbed even more salt in the wound. I'm sorry, I should have done my research better.

Can we really be sure about that? I don't know how this kind of thing works, but aren't they kind of forced to support each other decisions even if they're stupid and don't like them? After all they do work for the same people, so maybe he didn't have much choice but defend that decision.

last edited at Mar 4, 2016 1:16PM

joined Jan 21, 2015

Thiaguinho-sama

Can we really be sure about that? I don't know how this kind of thing works, but aren't they kind of forced to support each other decisions even if they're stupid and don't like them? After all they do work for the same people, so maybe he didn't have much choice but defend that decision.

That could be an explanation, especially since we now know that Rothenberg just isn't a very nice person. I'm sure some of the writers aren't happy with what happened and how it happened. But I saw the guy go out of his way to answer people's comments, and fan interaction as a TV writer/showrunner is another debate, but he didn't have to engage with people, did it anyway and came across as defensive and kind of an ass.

yuzichan

People that abandon the show just because of that don't understand that this show isn't about romance ships. This isn't vampire diaries or some other teenage bullshit drama. People like to overreact. Yes I don't agree with what went down but the writers have the right to kill whoever they want, how they want. The city of light and the grounders is the interesting bit of the show. I personally will still support the show and people that are sending death threats over twitter are idiots and need a real life. It’s just fiction, like calm down; it’s funny as hell that people take it that seriously.

Okay, a thousand versions of this conversation are happening on social media, but I'm going to say it here too and get it off my chest. I think people have a right to be angry and ragequit even if there were other storylines and characters they liked. As it's been pointed out, and I should add that people point this out every time this sort of writing decision is made, it's not just a TV show, and it's not just about a ship.

People who are part of marginalized groups want their escapism just as much as everyone else. Straight people have their choice of TV shows and movies with epic hetero love stories. If one of them ends badly, they move on to the next one. Queer people don't have that luxury. There aren't that many important LGBT characters on TV and every time one of them dies, the people who identified with them see themselves die on screen. Then they have to deal with people on social media and mainstream websites (or, if they're unlucky, in real life) saying how glad they are that the gay character is dead because they got in the way of a ship or got too much screentime or dared to exist.
People were sharing phone numbers for self-harm and suicide hotlines last night. A few years ago when something shitty (though not death) happened to a queer character on another show, prominent people in the fandom made It Gets Better videos to tell young queers that they mattered, even though a show they loved had told them that they didn't.

Most same-sex love stories on TV don't end well. And in genre shows, they all end in tragedy. The only exception I can think of is Lost Girl. So when a show sets up a love story between two girls, seems to take its time to treat it well, lets viewers get their hopes up only to brutally take it away from them, people feel betrayed, and with good reason. Because it keeps happening, and they berate themselves for ever believing they would be allowed to get a happy ending. That makes me really sad.

This was more than a little preachy but oh well.

melevas

After calming down a bit I've decided that I'm just going to wait until season 3 is over to break out hell on the writers because with the whole City of Light storyline who knows what's going to happen?

About that. It seems, from speculation and on-set pictures, that the season finale might be set there. Someone shared some info (that should be taken with a grain of salt as it's a fan who was present on set and not anyone official, but it seems plausible) in this tweet. It's extremely spoilery so please only read if you want to know if you should bother with the rest of the season.

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

So why exactly couldn't Alycia stay on the show anymore?

She's in Fear The Walking Dead....

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Behind it all, I think that is the biggest irritation I have with the continued use of this trope. It promotes the thought that it's ok to be a lesbian as long as they don't have a happy ending. Or, the only good lesbian is a dead one. I don't think it's intentional all the time, but it's still there. It only seems to be gay women that get this treatment on tv shows too.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Behind it all, I think that is the biggest irritation I have with the continued use of this trope. It promotes the thought that it's ok to be a lesbian as long as they don't have a happy ending. Or, the only good lesbian is a dead one. I don't think it's intentional all the time, but it's still there. It only seems to be gay women that get this treatment on tv shows too.

That was one thing that irritated a lot of people about Life Is Strange, too. The continuation of "queer girls don't get happy endings" that's in so much media. Books and comics seem to have graduated from that to some degree, but it's taking a long time for other formats to catch up.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

That could be an explanation, especially since we now know that Rothenberg just isn't a very nice person. I'm sure some of the writers aren't happy with what happened and how it happened. But I saw the guy go out of his way to answer people's comments, and fan interaction as a TV writer/showrunner is another debate, but he didn't have to engage with people, did it anyway and came across as defensive and kind of an ass.

Maybe he had to go out of his way because whoever pays him demanded it? I never trust much what the people who work in a serie, movie, game or whatever else says because they're kind of forced or at least expected to say only good things and make excuses for any shit that happens.

So why exactly couldn't Alycia stay on the show anymore?

She's in Fear The Walking Dead....

Oh, I'm not watching it, the only thing to fear about TWD is about how bad made it is, I'll still going to watch it though... (>_>)

That was one thing that irritated a lot of people about Life Is Strange, too. The continuation of "queer girls don't get happy endings" that's in so much media. Books and comics seem to have graduated from that to some degree, but it's taking a long time for other formats to catch up.

From what I remember in western fiction gay man is almost always used for comedy while gay woman is for drama, as for Life is Strange, from what I read they wanted the ending where Max let Arcadia Bay die to save Chloe to be seen as beautifully tragic and that it is to be ambiguous, so it's technically not Chloe die vs everyone die, they wanted to leave open to the player choice who died or not, supposedly they wanted to show more in the endings but didn't have more money or time to do it, though I just started chapter 4 so I still don't know if it is as ambiguous as they wanted, either way they probably could have done it better, maybe in the future they will fix it with a bonus chapter or a second season, but for now they're making a new game with another publisher, Vampyr that should be released in 2017, so even if they do make something it probably won't be any time soon.

last edited at Mar 4, 2016 2:50PM

Lol%203
joined Sep 4, 2015

From what I remember in western fiction gay man is almost always used for comedy while gay woman is for drama, as for Life is Strange, from what I read they wanted the ending where Max let Arcadia Bay die to save Chloe to be seen as beautifully tragic and that it is to be ambiguous, so it's technically not Chloe die vs everyone die, they wanted to leave open to the player choice who died or not, supposedly they wanted to show more in the endings but didn't have more money or time to do it, though I just started chapter 4 so I still don't know if it is as ambiguous as they wanted, either way they probably could have done it better, maybe in the future they will fix it with a bonus chapter or a second season, but for now they're making a new game with another publisher, Vampyr, so even if they do make something it probably won't be any time soon.

I do believe that the devs have said that if they do a season 2 it will be with completely different characters with no relation to the first season.

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

What I meant was that gay men in tv shows are never killed off like lesbians are. It just feels like "gay dudes can do what they want because they are men, but we got to keep women in their place" or something like that.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

I do believe that the devs have said that if they do a season 2 it will be with completely different characters with no relation to the first season.

Well I don't really expect a season two, but I did imagine they would want to use new characters and maybe just make some references to the first season, like new main character see in the news about the tornado and basically saying to us if everyone died or not, from what I read part of the reason some people hated the endings is exactly because some of the plot points are ambiguous and can easily be interpreted in the worst way, like how some see that the tornado happens only because Chloe is saved, ignoring completely the fact that Max changes a lot of thing, so seeing it like that makes it easier to think that letting Chloe die is the "best" choice, really, there's not much a better or worst choice, even if you let Chloe die Arcadia Bay is kind of doomed because of Nathan father fucking up everyone, if you assume the casualties were minimum saving Arcadia Bay can probably be the best for them, and from what I read the city kind of looks deserted and not much damaged by the tornado, so I always get the impression that it's just everyone assuming the worst of that ending and only a few really died offscreen, if anyone died at all since you save some people from it...

What I meant was that gay men in tv shows are never killed off like lesbians are. It just feels like "gay dudes can do what they want because they are men, but we got to keep women in their place" or something like that.

Probably because it doesn't matter if they're gay or not, when it's a woman it's always seen as more tragic when they're killed?

last edited at Mar 4, 2016 3:11PM

Lol%203
joined Sep 4, 2015

Well I don't really expect a season two, but I did imagine they would want to use new characters and maybe just make some references to the first season, like new main character see in the news about the tornado and basically saying to us if everyone died or not, from what I read part of the reason some people hated the endings is exactly because some of the plot points are ambiguous and can easily be interpreted in the worst way, like how some see that the tornado happens only because Chloe is saved, ignoring completely the fact that Max changes a lot of thing, so seeing it like that makes it easier to think that letting Chloe die is the "best" choice, really, there's not much a better or worst choice, even if you let Chloe die Arcadia Bay is kind of doomed because of Nathan father fucking up everyone, if you assume the casualties were minimum saving Arcadia Bay can probably be the best for them, and from what I read the city kind of looks deserted and not much damaged by the tornado, so I always get the impression that it's just everyone assuming the worst of that ending and only a few really died offscreen, if anyone died at all since you save some people from it...

I get your meaning, there are quite a few reasons why people don't like the ending. One argument I've seen is that since Max gets the vision before she saves Chloe, that shouldn't be the deciding factor in whether the tornado happens because it seems like it's going to happen anyway. Personally, I expected the ending to be either save Arcadia Bay by sacrificing Max, or save Max and let the tornado do its thing. Also having played and seen both the endings, one has, seemingly, had more effort put into it than the other which has irked people. It's been a while since I finished Life is Strange and by now the endings don't bother me nearly as much as they did when I first played through it.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Not to mention the fact that you basically decide if other characters will die or live, Kate, Pompidou and Victoria, and the others in the tornado that I didn't see yet, so it doesn't make sense being all because of Chloe living, Max has the vision after her first rewind that happens by accident, so it feels more like a warning that if she change things the tornado will happen, especially because technically her power is time and space manipulation, since she basically teleport herself and whatever she have with her when she goes back in time, there's just no way that would not have consequences since they use butterfly symbology and one chapter is even named chaos theory, it makes more sense that the tornado is trying to kill Max instead of Chloe to fix the universe, time, space or whatever she broke.

Rather than saving Chloe or Arcadia Bay, the ending feels more like fighting fate or let it happens as it should, or choosing between Max take responsibility for her actions or undoing them to escape responsibility, and which ending feels like they put more effort into? Which one you think is the better one? For some reason I can't help but see saving Chloe as the logical ending since all the game is about their relationship, especially if they become a couple, though even if it was not the case I would be on team Bae before Bay anyway.

last edited at Mar 4, 2016 4:32PM

Lol%203
joined Sep 4, 2015

Not to mention the fact that you basically decide if other characters will die or live, Kate, Pompidou and Victoria, and the others in the tornado that I didn't see yet, so it doesn't make sense being all because of Chloe living, Max has the vision after her first rewind that happens by accident, so it feels more like a warning that if she change things the tornado will happen, especially because technically her power is time and space manipulation, since she basically teleport herself and whatever she have with her when she goes back in time, there's just no way that would not have consequences since they use butterfly symbology and one chapter is even named chaos theory, it makes more sense that the tornado is trying to kill Max instead of Chloe to fix the universe, time, space or whatever she broke.

Rather than saving Chloe or Arcadia Bay, the ending feels more like fighting fate or let it happens as it should, or choosing between Max take responsibility for her actions or undoing them to escape responsibility, and which ending feels like they put more effort into? Which one you think is the better one? For some reason I can't help but see saving Chloe as the logical ending since all the game is about their relationship, especially if they become a couple, though even if it was not the case I would be on team Bae before Bay anyway.

The ending where you save Arcadia bay, without spoiling too much, it is longer and you see the effects the decision has and Chloe's funeral. It's well done and very emotional. I watched a youtuber who chose that ending first and I actually teared up watching it. While the one where you save Chloe it's just them driving through and out of the town in the pickup truck. As for which one I think is better, I like the one where you save Chloe, mostly because I'm all for giving the finger to fate and such. Fun fact, depending on your choices you can actually kiss Warren near the end.

I_whosonline
joined Oct 18, 2015

We got a parody on Koukaku no Pandora latest episode. It adapted from Terminator Judgement Day with Swear Not To Kill plus zero casualties.

last edited at Mar 5, 2016 3:49AM

I_whosonline
joined Oct 18, 2015

I'm glad our female MC, Ethika or Echika (hard to say that), was yuri in Tokyo NECRO. There's alsohet route if you play as our male MC. How can a futanari scene exist ?

last edited at Mar 5, 2016 4:28AM

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Going to assume everyone here is annoyed about that the 100 thing? I dont even watch that show and its pissing me off tbh but its to be expected at this point, bury your lesbians is way more common in the west.
(Honestly I cant decide if its better or worse than that class S BS)

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

It's weird how they introduced and developed the lesbian tech girl in Murder in the first. I mean, we don't see much of her aside from her doing her work but they cared to introduce her as a lesbian and to put some hint of weird/special interaction between her and the main blond girl most of the time they talk together. And it's just with the main girl, with other people she's just the tech girl, here to make the investigation progress. Nothing more.

I can't help but think there is a tiny possibility that something could happen with her (with the main girl hopefully I ship them) but she feels so much of the side side side side character that I know I will be disappointed in the end...

Oh and is it just me or the middle-aged married lesbian lawyer is becoming a new cliche ?

last edited at Mar 6, 2016 7:18AM

joined Jan 21, 2015

Rosenakahara

Going to assume everyone here is annoyed about that the 100 thing? I dont even watch that show and its pissing me off tbh but its to be expected at this point, bury your lesbians is way more common in the west.

At this point I'm just sitting here with popcorn as the writers scramble to do damage control. The showrunner is burying himself deeper with every new tweet and interview and it's amazing. He's basically admitted he wanted to make his own version of Game of Thrones, except the guy is a talentless hack so it hasn't been working out too well.

Of course, this will change nothing. The industry and the general audience will see it as a case of The Lesbians being hysterical ungrateful bitches, but hopefully the people working on this show will think for half a second longer before killing off an LGBT character in their next project.

trafi

It's weird how they introduced and developed the lesbian tech girl in Murder in the first. I mean, we don't see much of her aside from her doing her work but they cared to introduce her as a lesbian and to put some hint of weird/special interaction between her and the main blond girl most of the time they talk together. And it's just with the main girl, with other people she's just the tech girl, here to make the investigation progress. Nothing more.

I can't help but think there is a tiny possibility that something could happen with her (with the main girl hopefully I ship them) but she feels so much of the side side side side character that I know I will be disappointed in the end...

Oh and is it just me or the middle-aged married lesbian lawyer is becoming a new cliche ?

I've wondered about that too. They went out of their way to mention her sexuality and, in the same breath, have her flirt with the female lead (who didn't seem to mind). I think it's just cheap titillation, especially since as you said the tech girl is little more than a background character, but it happened a few times and it was weird. The main lady is obviously going to hook up with the main dude though, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Season 2 originally had a subplot with a lesbian journalist (they'd even cast the actress, Afterellen has an interview with her) that was scrapped when the show got a new showrunner partway through production. Maybe she was supposed to have a thing with the female lead, the new showrunner didn't have the spine to go through with it and went with the safer route of the middle-aged lesbian lawyer instead? That would explain a few things.

I don't think I even mind this going nowhere, so far the romantic subplots have felt shoehorned in (to me, but I'm picky) so at least they haven't ruined the lesbian yet. My favorite unnecessary romance was when one of the cops fell in love with a stripper. It was hilariously bad.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

I don't think I even mind this going nowhere, so far the romantic subplots have felt shoehorned in (to me, but I'm picky) so at least they haven't ruined the lesbian yet. My favorite unnecessary romance was when one of the cops fell in love with a stripper. It was hilariously bad.

True, but honestly, I think the "romance" between the two main is the less credible of all. I don't know they always feel more like BFF than lover, the romance feel forced. I chose to believe they will not be endgame x)

It's sad because aside from that it's a great show

last edited at Mar 6, 2016 9:02AM

joined Jan 21, 2015

True, but honestly, I think the "romance" between the two main is the less credible of all. I don't know they always feel more like BFF than lover, the romance feel forced. I chose to believe they will not be endgame x)

It's sad because aside from that it's a great show

Well, he technically didn't lose his wife that long ago, so that might explain why their dynamic suddenly shifted from friends/parters to potentially something more. We'll see how that plays out.
They've done the token lesbian subplot already, so I don't think we'll be getting another. I'm hoping the lesbian tech gets more screentime next season, she's cute!

And this actually surprised me, but there is exactly one fanfic for the show on AO3 and it's Mulligan/Keefer. Yay for femslash ships... dominating their fandom haha.

To reply you must either login or sign up.