Forum › US supreme court has ruled gay marriage is legal throughout the US.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Gay marriage is now legal in all of the US. But is the devil in the details. My state (Kansas) has had legal gay marriage for a while, but refuses to honer the marriages performed in the state of Kansas itself. Married couples haven't even been able to get ID reflected their new legal names. I wonder if that will change, or if it will take yet another court ruling before they will finally acknowledge their own marriages? Hope I'm just too pessimistic.

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Looking back at other major Supreme Court rulings, like other equality acts and stuff, it'll take a long while for all the states to accept the ruling. However it's a huge step, and progress is always great! So yeah, there will be a lot more controversy and probably more Supreme Court rulings in the future but this is still a major turning point in the entire movement, and I'm really happy for it.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

There's a LOT of work still to be done, and in the grand scheme of equality this is actually a pretty small victory. But a victory is a victory and worth celebrating. There'll be a lot of court cases about the issues Yuri Girl 1001 raised, with this decision being cited as precedent, and there are still many, many other rights issues (like the fact that you can still be fired for your orientation in most places, trans rights have barely been touched, etc.) that still need to be addressed.

I'm still willing to look at this as a win, and as an Official Canadian I'd like to welcome y'all to the civilized world.

joined Sep 15, 2013

This is huge.

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

Living in Washington we already have the privilege of being able to gay marry legally, so I'm extremely happy for the people in other states that can finally do the same. I just hope that states like Kansas and Indiana wouldn't come up with some asinine bullshit laws to discriminate lgbt people anymore. I really hope to see the day that people can love each other truly freely and able to express and show that love without having to worry about their safety.

last edited at Jun 26, 2015 12:45PM

HypocriticalLiar
Capture
joined Feb 23, 2015

Yeah I saw this! Having been from the South, I know quite a few people that are unhappy about this, so I can't publicly celebrate on FB (hah I'm a coward), but it's great news. It shocks me that people don't realize this is civil rights.

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

Next... Japan !?!?! :D

(Wonder how it will affect the yuri genre through. More canon ending perhaps?)

joined Jan 30, 2013

Wasn't there a pastor who said he'd light himself on fire if gay marriage got legalised?

joined Mar 23, 2013

Next... Japan !?!?! :D

Japan's adminstration and court papermaster ever changing a law...
EVER!

Now that's a funny thought.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Wasn't there a pastor who said he'd light himself on fire if gay marriage got legalised?

Glenn Beck said he had 10,000 pastors all ready to go. Yup, any time now...

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Gay marriage is now legal in all of the US. But is the devil in the details. My state (Kansas) has had legal gay marriage for a while, but refuses to honer the marriages performed in the state of Kansas itself. Married couples haven't even been able to get ID reflected their new legal names. I wonder if that will change, or if it will take yet another court ruling before they will finally acknowledge their own marriages? Hope I'm just too pessimistic.

I haven't seen the bill itself so I cant make any commital definitives on it...but in the past it depends on how strong the bill is in legalese. Because state laws are below the supreme court rulings, so if the bill is bolstered healthily most midwestern states will acquiesce.

That being said, the south is stubborn, and the small towns will likely refuse to yield completely for some time (shoot most have yet to fully accept emancipation..."the south will rise AGAAAINNNN!!!11!1!" and whatnot). But the bigger cities will just as likely to be forced to agree and recognize fully all types of gay marriage. Shotgun diplomacy without the mini destroyer boats and without the shotguns.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Good. Thats 10,001 less melodramatic stubborn and unaccepting assholes associating with us.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Good. Thats 10,001 less melodramatic stubborn and unaccepting assholes associating with us.

My favourite are the guys claiming they're going to move to Canada. Boy, are THEY gonna be surprised!

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

Imagine the amount of people that would want to move to the United States just to live here or get married lmao.
This is big news!! I came home from work and my younger sister was like "hey you know they legalize gay marrigae in all 50 states ?" I was like "seriously?! Wow that's a big step for America to take xD" it was about time tho.

last edited at Jun 26, 2015 2:55PM

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

My favourite are the guys claiming they're going to move to Canada. Boy, are THEY gonna be surprised!

If they think life will be less accepting I'd just show them this

joined Mar 23, 2013

Americans know nothing of other countries of the world , they don't realize their right is completely different for what europe and the other countries of the world consider "the right".

There's no other place for them, unless they do their own compound in the middle of nowhere.

And yes, Canada, even with Harper for so long is would surely be commieland for them, plus y'know gay marriage.

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

There's also that (straight) couple that said they'd divorce if it were legalized, hehehe..

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Americans know nothing of other countries of the world , they don't realize their right is completely different for what europe and the other countries of the world consider "the right".

I take objection to that. I know lots about some other countries. I mean isn't there some other country on this continent someplace? Maybe it was down south somewhere. And I heard once about some other continent someplace. Didn't it have a couple or three countries on it? Oh, and I know the name of one, it's called The North Pole. Let's see, it had some capital or other... Oh, and of course the only reason not everybody in the world does things the way we do, is because they haven't had a chance to see how much better our way is. Scratch that last one, forget you ever saw it. Aw, maybe Evilnemesis is right. Seriously, that statement is probably pretty close.

I would like to make a prediction: Sometime within the next two days, someone will propose an amendment to the US constitution to ban same sex marriage. I predict 17 states, including the state of Kansas, will do everything in their power to advance that proposed amendment. I'm half kidding; which means I'm half serious.

Edit: Sorry, I guess I'm pessimistic today. But watching the Kansas government these last few years, I seriously expect them, if nobody else, to do everything in their power to rain on our parade. I don't think they'll succeed, but I do expect them to somehow drag things out. (Perhaps by recognizing same-sex marriages performed elsewhere as required by this court decision, while continuing to refuse to recognize same-sex marriages performed in Kansas itself.)

last edited at Jun 26, 2015 3:56PM

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Man, reading your comments on Kansas makes me realize how lucky I am to live in super-gay-and-liberal California...

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

So is this pastor trying to say gay people make him hot or something?

Most Americans*

Many Americans, especially those who frequent the internet and specifically those who make online friends from other countries tend to know a lot more about other countries.

Seolaposescolor2
joined Nov 9, 2014

I live in Southern Louisiana, so happy for this ruling. :3 Every win counts and it's a step in the right direction.

joined Mar 23, 2013

Most Americans*

Many Americans, especially those who frequent the internet and specifically those who make online friends from other countries tend to know a lot more about other countries.

I always found that strange, me saying "Americans" should mean "Many/Most Americans". Adding "most" seems redundant.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

I always found that strange, me saying "Americans" should mean "Many/Most Americans". Adding "most" seems redundant.

It doesn't though. It's an inclusive statement so it's closer to saying all Americans than most.

joined Mar 23, 2013

It doesn't though. It's an inclusive statement so it's closer to saying all Americans than most.

Well that's what I meant. Most is how much percentage, anywhere from 51 to what %? Americans is good because it seems to me like it's 95% and stuff. Which is the truth, of course.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

It means literally all, but there's an unheard 'in general' after, at least as far as I read.

To reply you must either login or sign up.