Forum › Philosophia discussion

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Philisophia is a doujin. So, there's no editor to whip the author into a mainstream ending I guess... :P

joined Aug 19, 2012

uh this ending was not cute at all

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

** Nya-chan**

Philisophia is a doujin. So, there's no editor to whip the author into a mainstream ending I guess... :P

Thought it started as one and then got upgraded.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

** Nya-chan**

As far as I know it was picked up for publication after it was finished. Not 100% sure on that though.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

** Nya-chan**

As far as I know it was picked up for publication after it was finished. Not 100% sure on that though.

Correct. But as that is the case, you still skip the need for an editor to smooth things out for serialization, and as Amano said, very little was changed from the original to the official.

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

** Nya-chan**

Correct. But as that is the case, you still skip the need for an editor to smooth things out for serialization, and as Amano said, very little was changed from the original to the official.

AH, thanks for the clarification.

Smollmboye
joined Sep 25, 2013

wat

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I don't know why some people felt like the (implied) suicide came out of nowhere. I won't say I wasn't surprised, but Tomo committing suicide seems to me a very plausible, reasonable development. I mean, did she seem happy to anyone else? Looking for a purpose, unable to get close to anyone, tinges of (somewhat justified) self-hatred, overthinker, unhealthy habits . . . seems like a classic candidate for suicide, actually.
And at the same time, I can see why someone might get obsessed by her. The cool self-reliance, the almost unconscious style, the clearly impressive intellect . . . in many ways, objectively she's a horrible person, but there's this strong "What if?" that says there's an amazing person there if only she'd stop stifling it, if only she could be saved from the shit (much of it self-inflicted) that's crippling her . . . people do get obsessed with that kind of person. So it's kind of realistic.

Overall, although this was both a sad and depressing story, I thought it was very well done and I didn't find it repugnant. This is a good one. Unlike (spits on ground ritually) "The feelings we all must endure" which I did find repugnant, and which I actually thought had some serious flaws in execution as well.

I must say Amano Shuninta is, if nothing else, an exciting writer. You never know if you're going to get happy or sad, cynical or relatively pure, and it's hard to even be sure if quality-wise you're going to get excellent or crap. But that does mean that when you start reading one of her works you can't readily predict what's going to happen.

Dynasty
joined Apr 18, 2013

Um, the suicide part wasn't so terrible - yeah, it was depressing, but I don't really dislike sad endings if they make sense and Tomo was a pretty depressing and complicated character from the beginning. But the "pimp part" and "new sibling part", well that didn't work so well. :D

Al%c5%afskd
joined Jul 4, 2012

Wellp, that was waste of time

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I don't know why some people felt like the (implied) suicide came out of nowhere. I won't say I wasn't surprised, but Tomo committing suicide seems to me a very plausible, reasonable development. I mean, did she seem happy to anyone else? Looking for a purpose, unable to get close to anyone, tinges of (somewhat justified) self-hatred, overthinker, unhealthy habits . . . seems like a classic candidate for suicide, actually.
And at the same time, I can see why someone might get obsessed by her. The cool self-reliance, the almost unconscious style, the clearly impressive intellect . . . in many ways, objectively she's a horrible person, but there's this strong "What if?" that says there's an amazing person there if only she'd stop stifling it, if only she could be saved from the shit (much of it self-inflicted) that's crippling her . . . people do get obsessed with that kind of person. So it's kind of realistic.

Overall, although this was both a sad and depressing story, I thought it was very well done and I didn't find it repugnant. This is a good one. Unlike (spits on ground ritually) "The feelings we all must endure" which I did find repugnant, and which I actually thought had some serious flaws in execution as well.

I must say Amano Shuninta is, if nothing else, an exciting writer. You never know if you're going to get happy or sad, cynical or relatively pure, and it's hard to even be sure if quality-wise you're going to get excellent or crap. But that does mean that when you start reading one of her works you can't readily predict what's going to happen.

The problem with the suicide is that had the same emotional impact than this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wZzoeI1pKE

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Yeah. Tomo died on the way back to her home planet.

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Excuse me Miss, where is your avatar image from? It somehow looks familiar and if not it's still cute.

I do hope you are a miss,otherwise,Mr. and pardon for the misunderstanding.

65752315_p1
joined May 1, 2014

What? I don't care if Tomo died or whatever, but definitely not like Ai final and the 'sister' part, bad ending for me if that person really is the sister of Tomo -_- unless the 'sister' is Tomo and her disappeared sister is she but she says that because she is a new person now, or something like that.

last edited at May 25, 2015 3:31PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Excuse me Miss, where is your avatar image from? It somehow looks familiar and if not it's still cute.

I'm a miss and it's Ushio Kazama from Sasameki Koto.

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Ah I knew it was familiar,thank you very much.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

You ARE a miss? Random IRC guy you lied! You are now my enemy! Prepare for my wrath!

Sj2
joined Nov 23, 2014

Actually, he wasn't trying to insult Tomo when he called her a monkey he was referencing the story of Sun Wukong from Journey to the West. Sun Wukong was imprisoned by the Buddha after losing a bet to him about whether or not he could escape from Buddha and, after Sun Wukong jumped thousands of miles in a single bound, he realized that he hadn't even gotten off of the Buddha's palm. Hence the imagery of Tomo struggling on her father's palm. So, yeah, her father is an immense prick, but he wasn't blatantly insulting her there.

Ooh thanks for clearing that up! Somehow I thought her major problem was her dad since they didn't get along. I'm pretty thick headed sometimes.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

You ARE a miss? Random IRC guy you lied! You are now my enemy! Prepare for my wrath!

What? Did I talk to you on IRC? Can't remember that. If you talked to some person nicknamed aNya` or something, it's not me.

I'm just Nya atm.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

What? Did I talk to you on IRC? Can't remember that. If you talked to some person nicknamed aNya` or something, it's not me.

I'm just Nya atm.

I think irc guy thought I was talking about this aNya, who he apparently knew elsewhere as a guy, when I referred to you as a she when talking to Thiaguinho. He put aNya, but I assumed it was a typo from missing caps lock or something.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Talking about me behind my back now? >.>

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Talking about me behind my back now? >.>

Mwahahahaha, our sinister gossip will be your undoing.

Something about you thinking me and Thiaguinho are weird, around when he was asking us why we never went on the irc.

Wait a second, bad Choco, you're derailing again. Don't want nezsama to be angry at you again do you? Gollum, Gollum.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I think this was fine. I remember a lot of fan anger when Ruki ended up with Sacchan anyway. People complain when the same cliched things happen and they complain when the same cliched things DON'T happen. She's a lot like Takemiya Jin, she drives her stories without a happy ending destination. Putting ourselves into the world of the story, let's face it - Tomoko is dead, so what's wrong with her sister (who basically doesn't know her) dating her widow-at-least-in-her-mind-even-though-everyone-else-thinks-she's-nuts? If her getting together with separated-at-birth-little-sister-of-crush had been given a full series/graphic novel treatment, instead of being a sudden, unsatisfying wrap-up, everyone would be fine with it. But Amano-sensei gathered together scattered short-short-story manga snippets about the two into a "series" and then padded it out to give it more plot structure. That's a byproduct of focusing on other things, and also a product of the current manga situation. Padding out a story like that is what doujins and fan fiction are for.

last edited at Nov 11, 2020 2:17AM

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

I think this was fine. I remember a lot of fan anger when Ruki ended up with Sacchan anyway. People complain when the same cliched things happen and they complain when the same cliched things DON'T happen. She's a lot like Takemiya Jin, she drives her stories without a happy ending destination. Putting ourselves into the world of the story, let's face it - Tomoko is dead, so what's wrong with her sister (who basically doesn't know her) dating her widow-at-least-in-her-mind-even-though-everyone-else-thinks-she's-nuts? If her getting together with separated-at-birth-little-sister-of-crush had been given a full series/graphic novel treatment, instead of being a sudden, unsatisfying wrap-up, everyone would be fine with it. But Amano-sensei gathered together scattered short-short-story manga snippets about the two into a "series" and then padded it out to give it more plot structure. That's a byproduct of focusing on other things, and also a product of the current manga situation. Padding out a story like that is what doujins and fan fiction are for.

You're making false assumption, if she had made more story about the sister I would be totally disappointed in her. The simple fact that she made this ending killed a big part of the build-up of this story but at least we can think that Ai didn't even tried to be with the sister.
If there was more about them getting together, the whole debatable point of the story would be killed... by adding some character out of nowhere. Kind of like citrus... but even worse because this one is intended to be a lot deeper. It would end up being some horrible mix of various and unconnected drama and disputable thinking

But thanks god, Shuninta isn't one of those author who drag on a story who don't need it and she generally know how to stay focused. even if she was borderline here

last edited at May 25, 2015 6:55PM

Smollmboye
joined Sep 25, 2013

I feel like nothing really was accomplished with this narrative. Tomo dies and doesn't progress as a character, and Ai doesn't really progress as a character either. She started off bored and disinterested, and she's just as bored and disinterested when the story ends, only with a different excuse.

The idea itself isn't terrible, but I do wish more was done with it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.