Forum › Miss Sunflower discussion

joined May 1, 2015

Little sis is going to be eaten. Niceee

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

gasp seems like we spoke it into existence :0

Ik,r? The series had been dormant for all but a full year when I wrote that first wish, and ten days later chapters appear. What should we ask for next? With great power comes . . .

This series is so cute that I've never been really impatient for yuri "progress," but currently I have this irrational impulse to say to the characters, "Look, you've been gone for a year--let's get a move on!"

And could Fuuko get any cuter?

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

gasp seems like we spoke it into existence :0

Ik,r? The series had been dormant for all but a full year when I wrote that first wish, and ten days later chapters appear. What should we ask for next? With great power comes . . .

This series is so cute that I've never been really impatient for yuri "progress," but currently I have this irrational impulse to say to the characters, "Look, you've been gone for a year--let's get a move on!"

And could Fuuko get any cuter?

Never has "Die Qual der Wahl" rung truer xD

Right? Fuuko is an absolute bean

last edited at Feb 23, 2022 8:46AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Is that a new ship I see?

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

Cute as ever. Also glad that the phone call wasn't anything extremely terrible.

lord-of-roses
Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

Nanako: "you almost look like sisters"

Meanwhile, somewhere, Fuuko senses a disturbance in the force.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

She's adorable with short hair as well. ^_^

And so nice to see her blushing and content with Matsuri around.

joined Feb 1, 2021

This manga is nothing but nice people being nice to one another, it's amazing

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

In the one hand, it's a shame we didn't get to see her with the ears. In the other hand, I don't think the world could handle that level of cute.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I can say as an introvert that when there’s someone you can be around and never feel tired, that’s one of Your People.

Maybe romantic feelings, maybe not—but that’s one of Your People.

Adashima
joined Sep 3, 2018

I can say as an introvert that when there’s someone you can be around and never feel tired, that’s one of Your People.

Maybe romantic feelings, maybe not—but that’s one of Your People.

Completely agreed. I feel like most people just think of being introvert as just being shy and stuff while in reality mostly a thing of how freaking tiring it is to be with people in general, even if you like them. Getting a relationship like what Himawari-san has with Matsuri right now is a dream honestly, doesn’t even need to get into romantic field for me to be incredibly nice to see.

Also mandatory bath chapter I guess. Not that I mind~

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

I love how I found myself thinking "I love that we're getting to see Himawari-san smile so much recently" and then the next page commented on exactly that.

last edited at Mar 5, 2022 7:22PM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

A bath chapter, in a yuri manga, without sexual tension. How boring.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Oh johnb, what a one-track mind. (But that’s our johnb.)

I love this series and the developing characterizations, but this has never been a series with very much specifically sexual tension (as opposed to romantic interest, which tends to be subtle but fairly widespread). That’s because most of the attention of the other characters is directed at Miss Sunflower herself, and her stoical, pragmatic attitude and her willed obliviousness to her own and other people’s feelings keeps the issue of physical expressions of sexuality at arm’s length.

Matsuri > Miss Sunflower is the obvious “love” interest, but Matsuri is both too young and as yet too immature for her desire to always be with Miss Sunflower to manifest as a desire to put her XXX in Miss Sunflower’s XXX. Or vice versa.

Several of the other characters (Ayame & Fuuko, for example) clearly have “feelings” for Miss Sunflower, but everybody admires and respects her too much to make her uncomfortable by trying to push through her protective emotional shell. (Matsuri has already done it, but neither of the two quite realize what that might eventually mean yet.)

So yeah, a bath scene without the usual yuri-genre blushing and boob-groping, but this has never really been a usual yuri manga anyway.

joined Feb 1, 2021

So yeah, a bath scene without the usual yuri-genre blushing and boob-groping, but this has never really been a usual yuri manga anyway.

And I like it that way! Just kind of doing its own gentle, serene thing.

joined Sep 1, 2017

I love this series and the developing characterizations, but this has never been a series with very much specifically sexual tension (as opposed to romantic interest, which tends to be subtle but fairly widespread). That’s because most of the attention of the other characters is directed at Miss Sunflower herself, and her stoical, pragmatic attitude and her willed obliviousness to her own and other people’s feelings keeps the issue of physical expressions of sexuality at arm’s length.

Matsuri > Miss Sunflower is the obvious “love” interest, but Matsuri is both too young and as yet too immature for her desire to always be with Miss Sunflower to manifest as a desire to put her XXX in Miss Sunflower’s XXX. Or vice versa.

Several of the other characters (Ayame & Fuuko, for example) clearly have “feelings” for Miss Sunflower, but everybody admires and respects her too much to make her uncomfortable by trying to push through her protective emotional shell. (Matsuri has already done it, but neither of the two quite realize what that might eventually mean yet.)

Okay I get what your saying. However I feel a character being self conscience about their body around their "love interest", or the "yuri-genre blushing" as you put it, is a good way to distinguish between romantic love between girls, and friendship, or simple administration.
Honestly I like my yuri pretty straight forward, as you probably have guessed by now. I don't mind a long journey up that yuri hill, but I just want some assurances that I'm not going to be disappointed with just an ambiguously close friendship, as a reward.
As for the boob groping thing I've always just dismissed that as meaningless fan service.

last edited at Mar 6, 2022 7:06AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Okay I get what your saying. However I feel a character being self conscience about their body around their "love interest", or the "yuri-genre blushing" as you put it, is a good way to distinguish between romantic love between girls, and friendship, or simple administration.
Honestly I like my yuri pretty straight forward, as you probably have guessed by now. I don't mind a long journey up that yuri hill, but I just want some assurances that I'm not going to be disappointed with just an ambiguously close friendship, as a reward.

Well, I get that too. My yuri lizard brain wants a naked makeout session in A Room for Two and for Nozomi to jump Shino’s bones in Living With My Brother’s Wife and for Matsuri to push Miss Sunflower down on the bed and rip off her clothes (“Leave the glasses on”) in this one. (And my yuri lizard brain never considers fanservice to be “meaningless.”)

But the more conscious part of me that just likes well-told stories thinks there already are plenty of straightforward “two girls do it” yuri stories, with more coming all the time, and so there’s room for more subtle variations as long as the work is good. Which in this case I think it really is.

(And to be clear, that second part of me liked 98% of A Tropical Fish Yearns For Snow a lot, but thought the ending was a copout, considering how intensely the MCs’ relationship had been developed throughout that series. So I’m by no means OK with every “ambiguously close friendship” that comes down the yuri pike.)

last edited at Mar 6, 2022 8:30AM

joined Sep 6, 2018

How much time passes in story between chapter 1 and chapter 50?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

How much time passes in story between chapter 1 and chapter 50?

Matsuri is a first-year high schooler in Chapter 1 and in class 3-2 in the latest chapters.

Edit: Your question made me realize: there are a ton of flashbacks in the series, including to scenes of how most of the major characters first met, including Matsuri and the present Miss Sunflower, who are already in the “I love you Miss Sunflower!” relationship when Chapter 1 opens.

last edited at Mar 6, 2022 9:43AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Gorgeous colors.

Wait, did you not see Fuuko blushing and trying to avoid looking too much at Himawari-san for almost the entire time they were in the bath?

Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017

Gorgeous colors.

Wait, did you not see Fuuko blushing and trying to avoid looking too much at Himawari-san for almost the entire time they were in the bath?

Ikr? There was SOME tension at least

thechampionmike95
Latest-1-1
joined Aug 6, 2015

Gorgeous colors.

I mean she could just be embarrassed. Also why do I get the feeling this manga will end with a generic friendship ending? The yuri is still so subtle its nearly non-existent after all these years. I wonder how the manga ended.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I mean she could just be embarrassed. Also why do I get the feeling this manga will end with a generic friendship ending? The yuri is still so subtle its nearly non-existent after all these years. I wonder how the manga ended.

As I said, it's pretty clear that:

• Matsuri "loves" Himawari-san, who cares deeply for her as well. (And Matsuri alone is enough to earn the Yuri merit badge.)

• Himawari-san had pretty strong feelings for the first Miss Sunflower (as did her brother).

• Ayame would be glad to be more intimate with Himawari-san.

• Fuuko and Ritsuka both admire Himawari-san, but there's a strong suggestion that they both actually like Matsuri (Fuuko is an admitted siscon), so their admiration could be about becoming like the person Matsuri likes.

In general, there's a hell of a lot of girl-girl liking/mentoring/taking-care-of feelings floating around in a bunch of different directions (leaving out Onii-san's several relationships with women, of course).

It all seems pretty distant from answering the Sugi-in- Girlfriends Question, though: "Is this someone you really want to do it with?"

It's easier to imagine this series showing Matsuri and Miss Sunflower holding hands in their rocking chairs in old age than it is to imagine it depicting kissing-and-getting-naked yuri.

But lizard brains can always hope.

last edited at Mar 6, 2022 12:31PM

joined Sep 1, 2017

Well, I get that too. My yuri lizard brain wants a naked makeout session in A Room for Two and for Nozomi to jump Shino’s bones in Living With My Brother’s Wife and for Matsuri to push Miss Sunflower down on the bed and rip off her clothes (“Leave the glasses on”) in this one. (And my yuri lizard brain never considers fanservice to be “meaningless.”)

But the more conscious part of me that just likes well-told stories thinks there already are plenty of straightforward “two girls do it” yuri stories, with more coming all the time, and so there’s room for more subtle variations as long as the work is good. Which in this case I think it really is.

(And to be clear, that second part of me liked 98% of A Tropical Fish Yearns For Snow a lot, but thought the ending was a copout, considering how intensely the MCs’ relationship had been developed throughout that series. So I’m by no means OK with every “ambiguously close friendship” that comes down the yuri pike.)

Your right yuri sex is great. I mean nothing was more satisfying than Touko and Yuu's sex scene after the 45 chapter journey that was Bloom into You. However I'm just asking for any solid proof that there is more to Matsuri and Miss Mayflower's relationship than the close bonds of a student/mentor.
Don'tt get me wrong I've seen subtle hints already but a couple of cute blushes would have been a cute touch.

On a side note. Just to clear things up, I might disagree over the current state of Kasumi and Sakurako's relationship in A Room for Two, but I have no doubt where it's going to end up. The simple fact that Sakurako has relationship talks, about Kasumi, with her friends assures me of that. No make out session needed.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Your right yuri sex is great. I mean nothing was more satisfying than Touko and Yuu's sex scene after the 45 chapter journey that was Bloom into You. However I'm just asking for any solid proof that there is more to Matsuri and Miss Sunflower's relationship than the close bonds of a student/mentor.

You're quite right--that's a question this series has posed from the very beginning and has yet to resolve.

On Matsuri's part, I don't think there's ever been any doubt that she has always had a full-scale romantic girl-crush on Miss Sunflower--she thinks she's cute, she swoons at Miss Sunflower treating her as someone special, she compliments Miss Sunflower's legs, etc. She likes her that way.

On the other side of the equation, in the beginning of the series I thought that Miss Sunflower was just treating Matsuri as a little kid and was entirely dismissive of Matsuri's romantic feelings. But as the series went on and we learned more about her, we saw that she keeps everybody at arm's length, emotionally speaking, and that she in fact has let Matsuri get closer to her than anybody else in her life. Furthermore, her relationship with the first Miss Sunflower strongly suggests that she (not to put too fine a point on it) likes girls.

We also found out that the age gap between the two isn't quite as large as it seems. (I forget who did the math, but I think it came out to something like 23-17, maybe?) The apparent age-gap was exaggerated by their respective body sizes and by the fact that Himawari-san acts a lot older than her age while Matsuri comes off as considerably younger than she is.

I've been arguing that Himawari-san's closed-off psychological state, which at first seemed like calmness and maturity, is something that the series has been positioning as a thing that, gently and gradually, needs to change and is changing, primarily because of Matsuri. What the end state of that process will be I have no idea. But as with Living With My Brother's Wife, the quality of the series itself has convinced me that I'll probably be OK with however it comes out.

last edited at Mar 6, 2022 1:49PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.