Forum › Sisterism discussion

joined Nov 11, 2010

Haha, sorry but what I posted was just an explanation, not an argument. Yoshitomi-sensei ran out of time/chapters due to Tsubomi ending, decided not to resolve Haruka and Yoshiko's relationship, that's it. There's nothing to argue over. If you're dissatisfied with the ending you just have to deal with it. You can blame the author all you want, doesn't change the fact that the magazine ending was out of their control. Meanwhile, calling the ending boring just shows that you didn't appreciate the series for what it was anyway.

joined Jan 31, 2013

You can blame the author all you want, doesn't change the fact that the magazine ending was out of their control.

The writting of their story was under control, I'd rather have a rushed ending than no ending at all.

Meanwhile, calling the ending boring just shows that you didn't appreciate the series for what it was anyway.

I appreciated the series for what it was, and chapter 31 is, if not boring, very disappointing.

last edited at Apr 12, 2013 3:27AM

Phyis Moderator
Midori-facepalm
Yuri Project
joined Dec 12, 2012

The end of Tsubomi has been an established fact for 4 months now, Yoshitomi had enough time to make an at least decent ending. Morinaga pulled that off and so did Hakamada. Hell, I'm pretty sure another volume would've been in the cards if he had wanted to. And even if that wasn't the case, extenuating circumstances don't make a product any better. You don't have to turn someone's opinion into some kind of personality flaw because they're not "getting it."

last edited at Apr 12, 2013 3:13AM

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

premise: i want to answer your argouments because i can understand them, although i think otherwise

but bad endings are different from stupid endings (or without creativity),

It's not bad, it's dull: nothing happens

right, infact i added "without creativity", although you have only yourself to blame if you look for a good plot in a videogame (i make the same mistake, i was expecting the end from the first episode)

i love story with characters that grows and matures (like in Octave, Farnese in Bersek, etc...) but i didn't expect this from Sisterism.

But in Sisterism the characters grows: Akira and Mari for instance, why did Haruka and Yoshiko got the short end of stick ?

grow??? with the most hylarious scene of the manga, the unwanted confession in the hot spring? that is a development worthy of the style of sisterism.
the side characters has their development thanks to a a coincidence, we don't know what will happen in future to the MCs, probably the same, but there's a long way full of misunderstandings before them, this is the meaning of the ending

do you think the end of Two and two is good or bad?

Good, because it made sense with the permise, there was character developpement and it wrapped up the story

i don't like much age-gap love story (with exception, like masterpieces as hoshikawa ginza, etc...), then, for me, a good ending was with the girls breaks up with the womans, but that was an ending i didn't expect, and i was more than pleased.
an expected ending not always is the best choice.

in sisterism they choice (want) to continue to obsess theirself with the little sister best friend.

No, that's not their choice, they didn't realize their true feelings, so they didn't choose anything, their story just stopped halfway through

they doesn't choice consciously, but can't make otherwise, they aren't mature enough, and this was showed in the difference of age and development with the side characters.
the fact that akira calls them "masters" is the best example of the sarcasm of the story.
i don't think the end is rushed, in girlfriends we don't know how mari and akko 's family react to their story, i think is important, but i didn't expect to know that, every story has a time span.

last edited at Apr 12, 2013 3:44AM

joined Nov 11, 2010

The end of Tsubomi has been an established fact for 4 months now, Yoshitomi had enough time to make an at least decent ending. Morinaga pulled that off and so did Hakamada. Hell, I'm pretty sure another volume would've been in the cards if he had wanted to. And even if that wasn't the case, extenuating circumstances don't make a product any better. You don't have to turn someone's opinion into some kind of personality flaw because they're not "getting it."

In fact it looks like Sisterism didn't even do any web-episodes, so really the end of the magazine publication marked the end of the series. Committing to another volume purely of web-releases would've probably meant going something like ~10 chapters without any magazine fees for manuscript submissions, which definitely sounds like an unreasonable burden to me.

Meanwhile I'm not blaming anyone for wanting Haruka and Yoshiko to have ended up together but I think all the complaints about the ending are being blown totally out of proportion. In the end Sisterism was a comedy series, it is not totally wrong for it to have ended that way. You did get resolution for two couples, it is not such an utter travesty to leave one out. The overall affect of the ending ('Most couples are now living in blissful yuri happiness; our main pair will take a bit longer') is definitely decent for what Yoshitomi had time to do. Even if the last chapter wasn't exactly what most people wanted I think it is wrong not to appreciate it for what it actually was.

joined Jan 31, 2013

although you have only yourself to blame if you look for a good plot in a videogame

That's wrong but let's leave it at that

the side characters has their development thanks to a a coincidence, we don't know what will happen in future to the MCs, probably the same, but there's a long way full of misunderstandings before them, this is the meaning of the ending

This is the meaning you're giving to the ending, the ending doen't even mention the misunderstanding. One has to fanwank the turning point of the relationship

i don't like much age-gap love story (with exception, like masterpieces as hoshikawa ginza, etc...), then, for me, a good ending was with the girls breaks up with the womans, but that was an ending i didn't expect, and i was more than pleased.

It's not about liking a certain sort of relationship, it's about consistancy with the theme of the manga, which is polyamory, and the uniqueness of the bond(s) between people

they doesn't choice consciously, but can't make otherwise, they aren't mature enough, and this was showed in the difference of age and development with the side characters.

Of course they can make otherwise, everyone can evolve, so why can't they ? because the author didn't want to ? then he shouldn't had tease the reader with various heavy hints.
And age has got nothing to do with it, in fact it's the other way around: their little sisters are much more lucid, and Akira and Mari's relationship had gone much further than their big sister's

i don't think the end is rushed, in girlfriends we don't know how mari and akko 's family react to their story, i think is important, but i didn't expect to know that, every story has a time span.

Because that's not the point, the point of Girlfriends is Akko and Mari accepting their feelings towards each other. Girlfreinds didn't go beyond the story it wanted to tell (its plot if you want). Sisterism on the another hand, pretended to develop Haruka and Yoshiko's relationship but in the end, it developped everything but that

last edited at Apr 12, 2013 4:24AM

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

The point that "other couples got together in the end, so that should be more than enough" is very silly. If I'm watching a romantic comedy, and not only do the main characters not get together in the end, they don't even realise they love each other AND the plot point which forms the backbone for the whole movie is abandoned half way through for a bunch of character's who had never even been mentioned before then....that's just bad writing.

The comic being a comedy does not excuse bad writing and lazy development. The comic being cancelled does not excuse a complete lack of a ending. Saying "It's your fault for expecting something more" when the author themselves heavily implied since the beginning of the manga about it is not a good argument.

And the ending of Sisterism is in no way a good end to any series.

last edited at Apr 12, 2013 1:26PM

Ouroboros_tatoo
joined Mar 18, 2013

Right on, Osaka

joined Nov 11, 2010

There is nothing "bad" or "pretend" about Sisterism's development of Yoshiko and Haruka. It simply ended before it reached a resolution. The fact that the series was forced to end does not retroactively cancel out any of the previous developments. All of your posts are full of completely illogical exaggerations.

After I read through ch. 30 and saw that no buildup had been established for Haruka and Yoshiko to have an ending despite ch.31 being the last chapter, I was relieved when I saw that ch. 31 didn't do anything unreasonable like try to force an awkward finale between them. The fact is that the romantic resolution you guys are thinking of would have been worse writing than what we got. Trying to frame your fan-disappointment around 'bad-writing' is completely nonsensical when you think about the limitations Yoshitomi-sensei faced.

Altogether, the entire fallout from the ending to this series has been completely ridiculous. You guys forget the fact that there is even an untranslated bonus chapter which still has yet to be released coming from the final volume. You can hardly make any judgements as to the 'writing' of the entire series until you have seen that. The ridiculously hasty and negative way people have approached this ending is needlessly unconstructive, and the bandwagoning and circlejerky commentary on the side has been totally embarrassing.

Ouroboros_tatoo
joined Mar 18, 2013

what does "circlejerky" mean?

And I don't think think this discussion is meant to be "constructive" necessarily. These are just people's opinions. Are we supposed to talk about the symbolism behind the ending and the true meaning of Haruka and Yoshiko's relationship or something? We're just frustrated it ended the way it did. I get that there are some more chapters to be translated, I even fucking mentioned it on the second page, and what our opinions are now are going to change once those get released, whether we know about them ahead of time or not.

last edited at Apr 12, 2013 7:26PM

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

Circlejerk is a word used by people who have no real argument who see numbers of people disagreeing with their own opinions. It doesn't even work here, as it's not a huge group of people all agreeing with each other over and over again. Don't throw random buzzwords around trying to look cool. All these terrible words you throw in like "fan-disappointment" (it's okay to be a fan who is overly defensive but one who points out a single problem is a bad thing?) and "bandwagoning" (yes when numerous people have the same opinion or like/dislike the same thing, this is always a case of a bandwagon, and not, oh you know, having the same opinions) don't make anyone think you have a point, they just make you sound like a grumpy teen.

And you contradict your own points in your post. You say "He couldn't have wrapped everything up in one chapter duh it would have been rushed". But then you say "there's still a bonus chapter you can't have an opinion til you've seen that". So finishing it in one chapter would be awful.....except for when doing so could support your argument? Cute.

If that chapter get's translated, and it turns out to be a perfect ending, I'll be very happy. But until then, no dice.

And also, one annoying annoying point people keep making is "the comic was being cancelled, they would have had to rush things!" So what. Maybe the author should'nt have dragged the comic out so long then. Maybe the author shouldn't have shoved in random characters 3/4 of the way into the comic. (I actually really liked the characters, but sacrificing the main character's development for it is a no-no). Anything would be better than what we got really.

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

A circlejerk is when a group of guys give the guy to the right or the left of them a handjob in a circle of sausage.
A circlejerk on the internet is when the same thing happens in terms of words by agreeing with each other strongly and unobtrusively. It's meant to signify that it's not a regular form of "yeah, I agree with you" and it's more of a bandwagon of agreement.

last edited at Apr 12, 2013 7:10PM

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

premise:
cit. Sol Falling : The overall affect of the ending ('Most couples are now living in blissful yuri happiness; our main pair will take a bit longer') is definitely decent for what Yoshitomi had time to do. Even if the last chapter wasn't exactly what most people wanted I think it is wrong not to appreciate it for what it actually was.

absolutely right !!!

That's wrong but let's leave it at that

it was a joke, see the longest journey, fallout, the witcher, ect...

This is the meaning you're giving to the ending, the ending doen't even mention the misunderstanding. One has to fanwank the turning point of the relationship

yes, then or i overstimate yoshitomi sensei (i wish not) and i saw a more profound meaning in the all story, or you are right and he rushed the ending, i'm not sure of my thinking, the odd is 50/50

It's not about liking a certain sort of relationship, it's about consistancy with the theme of the manga, which is polyamory, and the uniqueness of the bond(s) between people

Of course they can make otherwise, everyone can evolve, so why can't they ? because the author didn't want to ? then he shouldn't had tease the reader with various heavy hints.
And age has got nothing to do with it, in fact it's the other way around: their little sisters are much more lucid, and Akira and Mari's relationship had gone much further than their big sister's

in the story of unrequited love, the MC is always sad, right? in sisterism the MCs don't need to develop a mutual feeling, they are happier like that, and t's showed in the last paragraph.
image if one of the 2 understand her feeling, probably she prefer don't speak it, to not lose the bond with the other, and the bond is that strage obsession for the little sister best friend.
there's a reason the manga is called sisterism!

Because that's not the point, the point of Girlfriends is Akko and Mari accepting their feelings towards each other. Girlfreinds didn't go beyond the story it wanted to tell (its plot if you want). Sisterism on the another hand, pretended to develop Haruka and Yoshiko's relationship but in the end, it developped everything but that

i read a critics about the last volume of girlfriends, the useless last misunderstanding.
useless? the last volume is necessary for akko's feeling to mature, and in the end is akko who confess!! that's a great change, no?
in sisterism, for a good development, there's needed an other book, at least,

joined Jan 31, 2013

yes, then or i overstimate yoshitomi sensei (i wish not) and i saw a more profound meaning in the all story, or you are right and he rushed the ending, i'm not sure of my thinking, the odd is 50/50

I'm not sure you have to read that much into the ending, Yoshimi's mangas are pretty straightforward (the yuri ones at least)

in the story of unrequited love, the MC is always sad, right? in sisterism the MCs don't need to develop a mutual feeling, they are happier like that, and t's showed in the last paragraph.

It's not really unrequited love, it's mutual unknown love, and the unknown part is what made all the "plot" of the manga, and that didn't evolve at all
In a story of unrequited love, the MC grow, even if s/he doesn't end with his/her crush, but in Sisterism the main characters hasn't grow at all

image if one of the 2 understand her feeling, probably she prefer don't speak it, to not lose the bond with the other, and the bond is that strage obsession for the little sister best friend.

The problem is that we don't have a clue of how their relationship will change when they finally will realise something's going on. Will it be the end ? will it be better than now ? we can only guess, it's not hinted anywhere they're happier this way.

i read a critics about the last volume of girlfriends, the useless last misunderstanding.
useless? the last volume is necessary for akko's feeling to mature, and in the end is akko who confess!! that's a great change, no?

Keep in mind that Girlfriends is really 5 standard volumes, Akko's realisation is the theme of the third one

in sisterism, for a good development, there's needed an other book, at least,

A book is too much, it could've fitted in volume 3, if they were less silliness and more plot developpement

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

I think we really need to just drop the topic now. It's pretty futile. Those of us who don't like the ending aren't gonna change our minds, and the same can be said of those who liked it.

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

I think we really need to just drop the topic now. It's pretty futile. Those of us who don't like the ending aren't gonna change our minds, and the same can be said of those who liked it.

sure it's, and it's right that things are gonna go like that, but i like these pretty useless discussions,
and i need to exercize my pitiful english

last edited at Apr 13, 2013 1:29PM

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

I'm not sure you have to read that much into the ending, Yoshimi's mangas are pretty straightforward (the yuri ones at least)

perhaps you're right about everything else, but i can't accept this, the stories in tropical girls are all but strainghforward.

i liked to continue because it seems a civil discussion with interesting reasoning, but for me write in english is a fight, and i need to take my time, especially while i'm working

joined Jan 31, 2013

and i need to exercize my pitiful english

Haha, same here

perhaps you're right about everything else, but i can't accept this, the stories in tropical girls are all but strainghforward.

Well they're simple stories, sure they're original and well written, but in the end it all boils down to: girl+girl=love...which isn't bad at all, but there's nothing else going on, they're isn't much complicated

joined Mar 25, 2013

Suddenly chapter 32 xD
Well it's an extra

Nicouriconimp%20140px
joined Sep 5, 2012

Thanks for this Dynasty and Payapaya ^^ Though the ending is less satisfying..and I was hoping for a good ending :/

joined Apr 20, 2013

/porra! mas que legal! adorei!/

Sorry, guys. I overreacted a bit. Anyway, THAT was awesome! I mean, it would be perfect if the last chapter was like that and they ended up together bla bla bla. Even the secondary couples had a better end than those two-"""pseudo"""-friends-w-benefits. ARG! e __e

Imagesn79yw9ay
joined Jan 27, 2012

Am I the only one feeling sad that there was so much UST not dealt with in the end?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Am I the only one feeling sad that there was so much UST not dealt with in the end?

It's never just you.

Personally, it bugs me that the two leads are the only ones who don't find happiness by the end, beyond the simple pleasure of being stupid. The best they got was a hint, and that's really not very satisfying

joined Apr 20, 2013

It's never just you.

Personally, it bugs me that the two leads are the only ones who don't find happiness by the end, beyond the simple pleasure of being stupid. The best they got was a hint, and that's really not very satisfying

Even their little sisters decided "build a future together"! God sake! I have a kind of "love & hate" relationship with Yoshitomi. Sometimes I just feel so frustrated that's killing me...

Topbow3
joined Feb 11, 2013

I have a feeling that Yoshitomi-sensei deliberately made the non-resolution ending for the followup (IF there will be a followup, chances looking a bit slim).

Either way, I'm one of the people who usually is satisfied with whatever the ending is, so no disappointment here.

For 19.5: very lewd.

To reply you must either login or sign up.