Forum › My Ignorance of a World Yet Unknown discussion

64caf7b2-896b-4409-975b-cb83b31b664b
joined Mar 29, 2018

I really like Momono Moto works and this one is no exception. How many chapters left?

4f51117132779849a26d7739f9e4a595
joined Oct 28, 2015

I really like Momono Moto works and this one is no exception. How many chapters left?

Unless there's a second volume that I'm not aware of, this series has ten chapters, so three more chapters matey-potatey

last edited at Oct 11, 2018 10:34AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Saw Chap. 8 elsewhere. (May be here soon for all I know.) Sadness and (at best) noble idiocy. (Just warming up for my rant against the trope when the chapter gets here).

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

Here's your monthly reminder that Momono Moto absolutely fucking loves assholes

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Ouch.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

WWED.

What Would Ena Do.

64caf7b2-896b-4409-975b-cb83b31b664b
joined Mar 29, 2018

Here's your monthly reminder that Momono Moto absolutely fucking loves assholes

Sad but true. I was excited when i saw updates from ‘The rain and the other side of you’ and ‘My ignorance of a world yet unknown’ but after reading them both I don’t know how I feel

joined Jul 19, 2018

I really like this story up to this point but let's see if it sticks the landing. It is obvious there is more to music girl's motives than she lets on. She is trying to make as brutally clean a break as she can before running from her lover, her past and her conscience.

last edited at Oct 25, 2018 7:48PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I know I promised you a rant about my least favorite romantic trope, so here it is:

There are two possibilities:

1) Everything is as Asami says—she’s been manipulative and deceitful all along, and she’s just fucked over Minato’s entire life for financial gain and career success. With two chapters left, for reasons that I assume are obvious, it’s doubtful that’s the whole story.

2) She’s lying about her feelings and this is what in Korean dramas is called Noble Idiocy (the person doesn’t actually have to be “noble,” but they often are, or think they are).

Basically, one person in an established romantic pairing suddenly breaks off with the other one, supposedly for the good of the person being left. It’s very often (I’d say “almost always”) just a tedious way to inject drama into the final act and stretch out the plot, especially when it’s obvious that the OTP is going to ultimately end up together—it’s a guaranteed couple of episodes/chapters of the main characters moping around until the inevitable reconciliation/reunion.

(Noble idiocy can also be paired with a random time-skip ending, where all the supposedly intractable plot complications that are keeping the two people apart can be handwaved away. If you took that as a reference to the other Momono Moto chapter of the day, you might not be wrong. )

For a variety of plot reasons the Noble Idiot commonly gives a false reason for the breakup, and the absolutely most toxic version is this one—the “I’m Faking Hateful Agression Because I Love You So Much And Don’t Deserve You” gambit: “I never loved you, everything was a fake, I was using you, you were so easy to fool, etc.” i.e., by treating the former lover like absolute shit the person leaving is actually doing them a favor by forcing them to give up on the (supposedly doomed) relationship and move on. (Or so the Noble Idiot’s thinking goes.)

In this particular case, any reconciliation plot would also need to explain away the somewhat separate issue of Asami’s apparent plagiarism of the dad’s music, which no doubt can be done, but it most likely makes a non-handwaving solution even less plausible. (And Asami’s been enough of an asshole all along that there’s actually not much reason to want them to get back together.)

I didn’t think it would be possible to have a more unlikable shitbag for a romantic lead than the one in this author’s Liberty, but I’ll be damned if Momono Moto hasn’t pulled it off.

I totally expect a rehabilitation of Asami’s character and an ultimate reconciliation between these two, but for me any resolution is going to need to be world-class interesting to make up for the use of the worst version of one of the cheesiest, and often laziest, of romance tropes.

last edited at Oct 25, 2018 7:58PM

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

I know I promised you a rant about my least favorite romantic trope, so here it is:

1) Everything is as Asami says—she’s been manipulative and deceitful all along, and she’s just fucked over Minato’s entire life for financial gain and career success. With two chapters left, for reasons that I assume are obvious, it’s doubtful that’s the whole story.

2) She’s lying about her feelings and this is what in Korean dramas is called Noble Idiocy (the person doesn’t actually have to be “noble,” but they often are, or think they are).

Basically, one person in an established romantic pairing suddenly breaks off with the other one, supposedly for the good of the person being left. It’s very often (I’d say “almost always”) just a tedious way to inject drama into the final act and stretch out the plot, especially when it’s obvious that the OTP is going to ultimately end up together—it’s a guaranteed couple of episodes/chapters of the main characters moping around until the inevitable reconciliation/reunion.

(Noble idiocy can also be paired with a random time-skip ending, where all the supposedly intractable plot complications that are keeping the two people apart can be handwaved away. If you took that as a reference to the other Momono Moto chapter of the day, you might not be wrong. )

For a variety of plot reasons the Noble Idiot commonly gives a false reason for the breakup, and the absolutely most toxic version is this one—the “I’m Faking Hateful Agression Because I Love You So Much And Don’t Deserve You” gambit: “I never loved you, everything was a fake, I was using you, you were so easy to fool, etc.” i.e., by treating the former lover like absolute shit the person leaving is actually doing them a favor by forcing them to give up on the (supposedly doomed) relationship and move on. (Or so the Noble Idiot’s thinking goes.)

In this particular case, any reconciliation plot would also need to explain away the somewhat separate issue of Asami’s apparent plagiarism of the dad’s music, which no doubt can be done, but it most likely makes a non-handwaving solution even less plausible. (And Asami’s been enough of an asshole all along that there’s actually not much reason to want them to get back together.)

I didn’t think it would be possible to have a more unlikable shitbag for a romantic lead than the one in this author’s Liberty, but I’ll be damned if Momono Moto hasn’t pulled it off.

I totally expect a rehabilitation of Asami’s character and an ultimate reconciliation between these two, but for me any resolution is going to need to be world-class interesting to make up for the use of the worst version of one of the cheesiest, and often laziest, of romance tropes.

It's so satisfying seeing a kindred soul. Also, I had no knowledge of the name of the Noble Idiocy trope, although we see it pretty much everywhere. Funnily enough, you'd think such a common trope would have an entry on Tv Tropes

last edited at Oct 25, 2018 8:19PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It's so satisfying seeing a kindred soul. Also, I had no knowledge of the name of the Noble Idiocy trope, although we see it pretty much everywhere. Funnily enough, you'd think such a common trope would have an entry on Tv Tropes

Yeah, that term is the coin of the realm in Kdrama land. I also was surprised not to see it on TV Tropes—maybe they call it something else, but I couldn’t find it on a quick search.

Like I said, there are different versions of it, and sometimes there are plausible plot reasons for it (“Break up with that woman or we’ll kill her and her entire family”). But the really annoying thing is that it’s almost always a one-sided decision, with no truthful communication with the other person—either lies or just disappearing without a word.

So this one has both—an abrupt silent disappearance AND the horrifyingly hurtful “I was faking the whole time, you pathetic fool” strategy, all for the person’s “own good.”

https://aminoapps.com/c/k-drama/page/blog/annoying-trope-noble-idiocy/z67f_xuqZgmLnRjg034bk5ax1wzgQM

joined Oct 3, 2014

Yeah, that term is the coin of the realm in Kdrama land. I also was surprised not to see it on TV Tropes—maybe they call it something else, but I couldn’t find it on a quick search.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BreakHisHeartToSaveHim

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BreakHisHeartToSaveHim

That’s got part of it, but most of their examples are about creating emotional distance by treating the other person badly, often while still being around the other person. (That’s kind of the point—they can’t leave for whatever reason, so they must make the other person hate them in order to break the romantic bond.)

Noble Idiocy is basically a “leaving” trope that almost always involves physical distance, and while it can involve an active attempt to make the other person dislike them (as it does here), it doesn’t have to.

Lezhin yuri manhwa seem to be particularly addicted to the specific version where, at the exact moment the main couple seem to have solved their major problems and are looking toward their future together, one of them simply disappears without a word (or maybe a terse “please forget me” note), only to reappear months or even years later: The Third Party; What Does the Fox Say?; The Love Doctor; Serenade. The last one was the worst—after a decade of angst by the bereft protagonist, we get barely a half-panel glimpse of the returning lover and a series-ending shot of a closed hotel-room door—and no explanation at all of why the person decided to come back.

joined Oct 3, 2014

That’s got part of it, but most of their examples are about creating emotional distance by treating the other person badly, often while still being around the other person. (That’s kind of the point—they can’t leave for whatever reason, so they must make the other person hate them in order to break the romantic bond.)

Noble Idiocy is basically a “leaving” trope that almost always involves physical distance, and while it can involve an active attempt to make the other person dislike them (as it does here), it doesn’t have to.

I think the trope description fits the leaving part as well. The examples are pretty lacking though, you're right. It's glaringly missing Asian dramas, which are of course the notorious users of this trope.

last edited at Oct 25, 2018 10:31PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I think the trope description fits the leaving part as well. The examples are pretty lacking though, you're right. It's glaringly missing Asian dramas, which are of course the notorious users of this trope.

I think you're right--the examples all lean hard on one character actively attempting to alienate the other one, but the overall concept fits well enough for the typical abrupt disappearances of classic Noble Idiocy. Just to round out the discussion of related trope irritations, when the Idiot does return, the other person usually is absurdly understanding and all Just Glad You're Back, rather than royally pissed off and actually done with the jerk who went off without a word, whatever the reason.

Typical move by the ineffectual mom--right, the only way to regain Minato's trust is to first tell Haruto the Het Guy the truth about the father.

I'd actually prefer that he go off in pursuit of Asami to take revenge for the harm done to his beloved Minato--and never be heard from again.

Nuku_nuku_13
joined Aug 27, 2013

Asami is flat out wrong here: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_ignorance_of_a_world_yet_unknown_ch08#16
He is the only one responsible, not his Ex-wife. Sorry but it's just a fact IMHO.

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

can someone please explain to me what Asmi could possibly be thinking? assuming that she is lying about using her, what could she be trying to accomplish?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

can someone please explain to me what Asmi could possibly be thinking? assuming that she is lying about using her, what could she be trying to accomplish?

Good question. At best it's the old "I started out to scam you and take revenge on your mother by turning you lesbian but then fell in love with you but when you find out the truth you'll hate me anyway, so I'm leaving."

I'd have to re-read the whole thing, but I thought I recalled clearly that Asami really did seem to care for Minato. If not for that, her Evil Villain Gloating speech actually makes the most sense as an explanation for her actions.

But if it actually were all true, we wouldn't need two more chapters (and the pacing leading up to the reveal would have been completely different). So I can only assume that we have two chapters to somehow resolve the love issue and the music-theft issue (if Asami legitimately had inherited the father's music, she still was wrong to pass it off as her own).

If we actually get an ending where Asami, Minato AND the mom are all smiling, that, as my grandma used to say, would be the trick of the week.

joined Jul 19, 2018

Although both of these avenues are possibilities its a false dichotomy to assume they are the only ones and it's still too soon to berate the mangaka for writing sins she has yet to commit. I'll give the author the benefit of the doubt since up until now the story has been pretty well written. My personal guess is we will not get such a black or white ending and Asami's reasons for doing what she has done will be neither pure villainy nor noble stupidity. I think her motivations will be much more grey and mixed, but who knows maybe she will ride off cackling on a broomstick after kicking some orphans and puppies in the face and pooping in Minato’s Cheerios.

last edited at Oct 26, 2018 2:06AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^ Whatever her true motivations, what Asami has not done is be truthful with Minato, and however it shakes out, she’s being quite cruel to a person she had previously led to believe she cared for, a person who had risked all her established relationships to be with her.

You’re right—maybe my limited imagination simply fails to see any possibilities beyond Asami being a fuckhead to Minato with bad intentions or Asami being a fuckhead to Minato with what she deems to be good intentions.

If the author can somehow write her way out of Asami being a fuckhead in this chapter, I will be truly impressed.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Im glad this happened because in the previous chapters Asami was shaping up to be just using Minato and if it turned out that she fell in love with her along the way I would've been so pissed, like that doesn't excuse all the messed up reasons she got with her in the first place.

Also really enjoyed Minato's grown up attitude towards Asami's "confession" where she really just tried to turn Minato against her mother, of course her mum is going to prioritize looking after her daughter instead of her ex-husband, it's not like her mother has money or time to spare, literally in the beginning chapter Minato makes us aware that they are poor

I would now be pissed though if Asami backtracked like I love you pls let us be a real couple - her mum is never going to approve and also both her mum and Haru know how messed up and fucked up Asami is

Why don't we just chuck in another time skip and Minato can be with some other girl instead DONE

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Option 3: a half-hearted reconciliation with and miserable marriage to whatshisname-kun. New Level of Horror Mastery Achievement unlocked for Momono-san.

last edited at Oct 26, 2018 4:23AM

joined Jul 19, 2018

^ Whatever her true motivations, what Asami has not done is be truthful with Minato, and however it shakes out, she’s being quite cruel to a person she had previously led to believe she cared for, a person who had risked all her established relationships to be with her.

You’re right—maybe my limited imagination simply fails to see any possibilities beyond Asami being a fuckhead to Minato with bad intentions or Asami being a fuckhead to Minato with what she deems to be good intentions.

If the author can somehow write her way out of Asami being a fuckhead in this chapter, I will be truly impressed.

There is no way Asami is walking away from this looking like a good person. I'm thinking more like a sympathetically flawed bitch. There has been a bit of foreshadowing that she may be fulfilling some sort of promise to her dead teacher or at least that some of her actions are driven by her memory of him. That along with her behavior and relationship with Minato suggest her motives are at least more complex than the one dimensional face of evil she projected in order to break things off. I guess only time will tell.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Ends with a het marriage with Hiroto,

Because she's fragile emotionally at the moment and every man knows it's the best time to take advantage of a woman.

It was just a phase.

The End.

last edited at Oct 26, 2018 5:06AM

690ea2d43c833a395aa79e98116d8d2f
joined Apr 15, 2018

I hope Asami is just lying, please
This is too damn hurt for Minato already

To reply you must either login or sign up.