Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

joined Feb 7, 2020

Shephard6, the structure of this part of your comment reminded me of a poem. So I turned it into one.

The story has a lot of issues to see
So many contradictions! I hate them, I'm sorry
This manhwa's ending really wasn't for me
I had forgotten that Sungji was in this story

Hahahah thank you
Since English is not my first language

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

Well, despite my gripes with the storytelling in this series, there is one aspect that I found which really nails home: the painful realistic reminder about relationship coming from Seju and Sumn's past experience. I mean, you and your partner may spend many years of blissful moments together, making promises about loving each other forever and all that. However, somewhere along the line, it may only take a single instance or two for your whole relationship to fall apart, and you ended up becoming strangers to each other. It's a harsh truth that love doesn't always conquers all.

last edited at Feb 23, 2020 6:10PM

joined Feb 7, 2020

That’s why I doubt Sumin, and Sungji having a good relationship, we only saw them after 3 years with no mistakes from Sungji, when Seju’s mistake happened after 7 years of dating. As you said it only takes one or two mistakes to ruin everything, so I wonder how Sumin is gonna react if Sungji made a mistake.
I mean I really wanted Sumin to forgive, not only Seju but I wanted her to learn the “forgiveness” and “understanding”, for the sake of the people around her, and for her own sake.
Love should overcome mistakes
Anyways reading the author’s answers of the fan’s questions where some parts of the story are true and some are not, I think the memories and revenge parts weren’t true, it just her fantasy

last edited at Feb 24, 2020 7:37AM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Well it depends on the "mistake". If it's cheating then it's not just a mistake.
And I can understand why Sumin broke up with Seju after that, but the fact that she kept coming back to her and not letting her move on, as well as her cheating on Sungji but been forgiven is crazy.

joined Feb 7, 2020

It’s crazy indeed! And it disgusting

joined Mar 21, 2017

Well it depends on the "mistake". If it's cheating then it's not just a mistake.
And I can understand why Sumin broke up with Seju after that, but the fact that she kept coming back to her and not letting her move on, as well as her cheating on Sungji but been forgiven is crazy.

Thats where the whole "curse" part of the plot was meant to come in. Both Sumin and Seju should have been able to move on but Sejus uncle/brother/familyfriend/whateverhewasican'tremember's involvement, (the whole torture part) was meant to tie the two of their lives together so they couldn't move on from each other. It just wasn't executed very well in terms of the story.

last edited at Feb 24, 2020 2:34PM

joined Feb 7, 2020

Thats where the whole "curse" part of the plot was meant to come in. Both Sumin and Seju should have been able to move on but Sejus uncle/brother/familyfriend/whateverhewasican'tremember's involvement, (the whole torture part) was meant to tie the two of their lives together so they couldn't move on from each other. It just wasn't executed very well in terms of the story.

Nah, that would be just fantasy

joined Mar 21, 2017

Nah, that would be just fantasy

It's in the story. It was metaphorical which is why i put curse in emphasis.

last edited at Feb 24, 2020 3:48PM

joined Feb 7, 2020

Seju’s brother did it because he is over protective and that’s it.
Sumin kept coming back becaus she’s an ass and took advantage of Seju as she admitted to Sungji.
She said “I kept torturing Seju for 10 years, I let her close to me so I can hurt her”

last edited at Feb 24, 2020 3:59PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

If you say so. It was in the story i read.

last edited at Feb 24, 2020 4:18PM

joined Feb 7, 2020

So now we have another excuse for Sumin’s ill behaviors, it was because of a curse!
Just wow

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

Only the author can give the truest answer why Saehyun kidnapped and assaulted Sumin (hell, someone should ask her that in that question site). One way of looking at it, would be Saehyun did it out of vengeance since he figured Sumin is the reason why his younger sister is left in a miserable state - something that pissed him off (it's clear in the side-story he has some brotherly affection for Seju). Another way would be that he did it to save both Seju and Sumin in a twisted kind of way, perhaps figuring Seju can't go on living without Sumin at the time and would wither herself to death, and Sumin in turn would feel mighty guilty for Seju's death and head down a self-destructive path.

Regardless, don't see how that justifies Sumin to keep coming back and torment Seju for ten long years. Like FFS, Seju wasn't even the one who kidnapped and assaulted her. It was her older brother, so why not take your anger and revenge out on him instead? Since she already decided to break up with Seju because of the cheating beforehand, she should have done just that a long time ago and moved on without having anything more to do with her ex's life....

last edited at Feb 24, 2020 5:57PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

Na, Sumins shitty behavour in the end is her own, just like Sejus is. Im talking about aspects that the author tried to put into the story but badly. The "curse" as mentioned by Saehyun himself, was to make Sumin not forget Seju via the process of torture and the physical scarring (mental scarring by proxy) therefore making her dependant on Seju psychologically, they allude to it plenty of times in the story. The writer just failed at what they were trying to do.

last edited at Feb 24, 2020 8:01PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I think this makes sense from a psychological pov analysis. Because when you get traumatized by something, this will control your life.
That experience was traumatizing for Sumin and I do think it played a role of her finding it difficult to move on. Also how Seju cheated was a bit traumatizing as well.
I still wonder why she didn't go to the police to report him though.

Anyway, besides that, the brother situation still doesn't explain why Sumin cheated on Sungji but she was quickly forgiven instead. Maybe the author sees her as some kind if a martyr? Considering what happened with Seju in their first years together.

joined Feb 10, 2020

hmm the whole cheating plot of Sumin was simply created to let her experience Seju's shoes from 10 years ago and realize how poorly she had treated her during the time. It was supposed to free Sumin's revengeful feelings towards Seju, forgive her and move on. And she did. But that couldn't justify how bad the writing was when Sungji forgave Sumin like nothing happened. The part Sumin chased after Sungji on the bus and walked her home saying to Sungji "It's more painful to see you having a hard time. You've been in pain for so long" tells me she never did try to understand Seju, even though (in my opinion) the pains she endured for 10 long years from Sumin, her family and everything were much worse than Sungji's case. The author was good at creating plot twist & story potential, but too bad she always ended up screwing it with her double-standards. Perhaps Team Gajj could sympathize Sumin only.

last edited at Feb 24, 2020 9:28PM

joined Feb 7, 2020

And don’t you think being traumatized for 10 years because of Seju’s cheating more than her parents’s deaths is not real, too much, not logical?
I mean her parents were rarely mentioned, and her struggle was mainly because of Seju

In my opinion, I think this 10 years of revenge is the writer’s fantasy of hurting her ex who cheated and broke her heart in real life.

last edited at Feb 25, 2020 4:36AM

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

^ You can pretty much say this whole series is Alggumba's fantasy :D

Let's be real, nobody would just magically fall in love with you at first sight, the way Sungji did shortly after meeting Sumin. No matter how sweet and kind your partner may be, they won't just continue to ignore your personality flaws or whatever problems you created. And if you cheated on your partner very soon in the relationship, you can bet your ass they won't easily forgive you and jump straight to having makeup sex with you in only a matter of few weeks.

In the end, Sumin x Sungji feels like a fairy-tale romance story fit for teenage readers.

joined Feb 7, 2020

Hahahha you’re right.
With Alggumba’s answers I was just guessing which parts is real and which is not, since the writer said so, but the whole story doesn’t seem real at all.
Just small matters that one would barely notice and won’t effect anything. Like the black coffee and that

last edited at Feb 25, 2020 8:25AM

joined Dec 9, 2014

I agree too, that the writer seems to project her ex on Seju, then making a saint out of Sumin.
She was even surprised when some people were telling her how Sumin is not a good character.
There's this extreme victim mentality for Sumin, that excuses everything bad she has done and also that she deserves everything good on her even if she is an asshole too.

Hahahha you’re right.
With Alggumba’s answers I was just guessing which parts is real and which is not, since the writer said so, but the whole story doesn’t seem real at all.
Just small matters that one would barely notice and won’t effect anything. Like the black coffee and that

Can you post some of her answers? The black coffee might not seem important for the story, but it actually is a good sign that the writer was self inserting into Sumin. Also a good writer should think of details like that on their own and not just grabbing them from personal experiences. That's so they can develop different types of characters and not end up making the same or similar character in all of their stories. They have to be able to understand different angles.

last edited at Feb 25, 2020 9:24AM

joined Feb 7, 2020

^ Sure ...
I’ll translate it and post it whenever she answer

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

You're not really missing out too much from Alggumba's answers. But anyways, here's what I gathered, courtesy to fellow members from the Discord group and a user from Weibo:

• The manuscript for their next project still needs some working time, which they would try to launch as soon as possible.

• There will be 2 extra chapters for the R19 version of WDTFS on Bomtoon. The most common speculation is one of them is for One (Seju x Won sidestory) and the other one is for Will (Sumin x Sungji sidestory), which would mostly be the explicit sex scenes that Gaji weren't allowed to do for previous R15 version on Kakao.

• When asked if her characters are based on any life person, she answered she received this kind of question all the time for the last 5 years. She apparently created them first and checked if there's any real life people sharing things in common with her characters.

• Seju took over as President of Hello Studio around 5 years ago in 2010, which she meant she was around 27 or 28 years of age by western year. She can apparently watch horror movies with a poker face, basically not so easily frightened.

• Both Seju and Sumin studied business administration. Sungji graduated from accounting tax.

• Do-Won was born on September 9th 1989, meaning she's 7 years younger than Seju. Her height is 180 cm (5 ft 11) rather than 178 cm that was written in her profile sheet.

• As for when did Won start liking Seju, Won didn't even realize it by herself, but she was always ready to love Seju, so it wasn't weird for her to fall in love with her at anytime.

• Nami's height is 178 cm (5 ft 10).

• If Seju, Sumin and Sungji were teachers, they would teach the following subjects at school:
    Sungji: Korean language Sumin: Science Seju: She won't teach anything but be the chairwoman instead

• When it comes to the author's thoughts on the character's personality:
    Sungji: obedient Seju: elegant Sumin: cute butt

last edited at Feb 26, 2020 5:36PM

D9b9a6feccfd2f91f76fbb604c3790ec4d0137ed_128
joined Jan 11, 2018

Sorry, I just thought about Lezhin for the first time in literally years (around 2017, when the main arc ended). I only bought coins to pay for What Does the Fox Say. I bought every single chapter. I just looked and WDTFS is no longer on lezhin. I was kind of wondering what happened to the things that I purchased. It's less about getting the money back and more about getting access to the chapters that I purchased.

Did they have a program set up for schmucks like me to get access to the chapters we already spent money on, or do we have to buy them again? I understand that I'm a couple of years too late on this. It's fine if I have to repurchase them.

joined Mar 21, 2017

I still have access to the 70 chapters i bought on Lezhin.

Have a look in your library?

last edited at Feb 27, 2020 11:08PM

joined Jan 17, 2020

hmm the whole cheating plot of Sumin was simply created to let her experience Seju's shoes from 10 years ago and realize how poorly she had treated her during the time. It was supposed to free Sumin's revengeful feelings towards Seju, forgive her and move on. And she did.

No she didn't. She treated Seju like crap until the end of the story. Seju had to free herself.

joined Feb 7, 2020

No she didn't. She treated Seju like crap until the end of the story. Seju had to free herself.

Totally agree.

Seju’s life actually reminds me of Friedrich Nietzsche’s “three Metamorphoses”
He is a german philosopher, cultural critic, composer, poet, philologist, and psychologist.
Said: “There are three stages of progress toward the overman: the camel, the lion, and the child”
To explain with simple words ”The first stage is to endure so many pain same as the camel, the second stage is to explode and face those who angered you and get rid of them from your life like a lion, the last stage is to finally liberate yourself, to be free as a child”
These three stages was portrayed in Seju’s life, so no wonder her story telling was the best.
And I’m glad Seju stayed very strong till the end!
She freed herself and stayed strong though she was all alone. Her life and struggles was so real that one can actually feel and see in real life.
Also since I just care about her in the whole story.
The writer recently said: Seju’s won’t consider anyone her whole life anymore and won’t lose the value of her life even if she broke up with Won

last edited at Feb 29, 2020 5:17PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.