Forum › Is it alright to read yuri even though you're straight?

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I think it has to be said... my sister once asked what an ice cube was. At thirteen.

I feel obligated to do this.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

The sad part is that it's true.

Britain faces a dark future...

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Well, you can't be too hard on her. Ice Cube was probably before her time.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

But if I don't beat knowledge into her, HOW WILL SHE LEARN!

*Whoa, went 2 past 300 posts and didn't even realise it. I guess I'm posting too quick to be banned.

last edited at May 5, 2015 11:12AM

joined Mar 23, 2013

i'm straight man and I like some shota yaoi.

but shota yaoi is aimed for straight guys to begin with. nothing weird about that......

?

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

but shota yaoi is aimed for straight guys to begin with. nothing weird about that......

?

As an A dude, I can attest that Shota Yaoi is for us all.

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

?

x2...

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Banter about questions and answers made me think of this

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

That ending was creepy...

Really though, I can't buy working towards a singular question mark. A question without an answer has no purpose, that's the nature of a question. We just need new question marks.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

the thing that struck me was how many not-straight-people are here, because I believe there to be a very fine line between Girl-on-Girl-is-hot and people that were genuinly interested in gay romance, (not to say they are the same, just saying that people could think that the first is the more ill intended while I believe that there is some grain of truth that combines it with the latter) so there is that

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

We need a poll, the numbers always seemed off to me, I don't buy 'em.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

We need a poll, the numbers always seemed off to me, I don't buy 'em.

Yes, a BUTTON, that will keep those trolls from interferring with the results!

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I'm more interested in romance and how it's told, than in girl-on-girl-is-hot. I found myself thinking quite often that some of the pieces here would have been better without NSFW.

In addition to relating, I think yuri romance offers more feels and food for thought.

But girl-on-girl is hot nevertheless.

Because last panel of this.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Because last panel of this.

When I get into politics, top of my parties manifesto.

And a button would be nice, I like buttons. Milk chocolate ones as well.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'm more interested in romance and how it's told, than in girl-on-girl-is-hot. I found myself thinking quite often that some of the pieces here would have been better without NSFW.

In addition to relating, I think yuri romance offers more feels and food for thought.

I remember reading a couple of interesting pieces on the popularity of yaoi among girls, and two things really stood out. One was the ability to see male characters in more romantic, less threatening contexts than a lot of het fiction tends to be, with a lot more focus on emotions. The other, which I thought was interesting especially in light of how many lesbians are into or even create the stuff, is the desire to see homosexuality portrayed at all, regardless of whether it's your brand or not. Which I think ties into what you're saying, at least from my point of view of simply liking homosexual romance even though my preference is for the girl-girl side.

joined Mar 23, 2013

I remember reading a couple of interesting pieces on the popularity of yaoi among girls, and two things really stood out. One was the ability to see male characters in more romantic, less threatening contexts than a lot of het fiction tends to be, with a lot more focus on emotions.

I don't know how this train of thought comes about but a lot of Yaoi is rape central or "push down dat little boi and he likes it, nolube420yoloswagblazeit"
Maybe the fact they don't identify as any of the male characters compared to girls in het romance they don't feel the threatening scenarios?

I see this online quite often in forums, be it gaming,books related. The women posters would not care much of a male character that has a shitty life, but if a woman gets it bad it suddenly becomes horrific and demeaning, and they all "relate". I often ask myself why the gender of the character really matters. What's your thoughts on this?

On the lesbian point, I understand that kind of thinking from a LGBT point of view but I'm sure a lot are less than happy that they're own homosexual romance is less valuable money wise compared to male on male.

last edited at May 5, 2015 1:50PM

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

?

all hail boku no pico!!

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

all hail boku no pico!!

I know it as Shakespeare's envy.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I remember reading a couple of interesting pieces on the popularity of yaoi among girls, and two things really stood out. One was the ability to see male characters in more romantic, less threatening contexts than a lot of het fiction tends to be, with a lot more focus on emotions.

I don't know how this train of thought comes about but a lot of Yaoi is rape central or "push down dat little boi and he likes it, nolube420yoloswagblazeit"
Maybe the fact they don't identify as any of the male characters compared to girls in het romance they don't feel the threatening scenarios?

Yaoi manga might be, but yaoi fanfic, not so much I believe. I never saw much of it back when I was hanging with yaoi writers a lot, and "non-con" as it was called then was very niche. But then, even in manga someone here pointed out a little while back how the seme/uke roles tend to mirror the "push the girl against the wall" relationships from shoujo.

The articles I've read do tend to focus on fic more than doujins in any case.

I see this online quite often in forums, be it gaming,books related. The women posters would not care much of a male character that has a shitty life, but if a woman gets it bad it suddenly becomes horrific and demeaning, and they all "relate". I often ask myself why the gender of the character really matters. What's your thoughts on this?

My thoughts are it's totally irrelevant to this conversation, a much bigger topic than I want to get into at the moment, and the topic is prone to a lot of strawmanning which is a pain in the ass to deal with.

On the lesbian point, I understand that kind of thinking from a LGBT point of view but I'm sure a lot are less than happy that they're own homosexual romance is less valuable money wise compared to male on male.

Well, most of what I've seen doesn't seem to be too concerned with the money angle, so much as the fact that there's so little good femslash out there by comparison. Most yuri fans I've run into are mainly concerned with getting more yuri, and it's frustrating when there isn't much to be had.

joined Mar 23, 2013

medievalotaku says:
May 1, 2015 at 7:55 pm
That is rather troubling, isn’t it? Well, if you recall the Latin word for the capital sin of lust, luxuria, it only makes sense that such literature would become more popular the more wealthy a society becomes. Riches have ever led away from God, whether one speaks about the High Middle Ages and the Renaissance or the present day.
Still, it’s unfortunate that a Yuri manga is beating so many other manga which try to tell a genuine story rather than appeal to one’s libido!

Heh, look at this intellectual being. He doesn't understand medieval fiction is about libido as well, power fantasies and lust for blood. And I say that I as fantasy/medieval fan, I have no issues understanding the appeal but that guy is funny and trying to give himself a noble aura and purpose.

last edited at May 5, 2015 2:29PM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

I assumed his comment was a joke.

joined Mar 23, 2013

Yaoi manga might be, but yaoi fanfic, not so much I believe. I never saw much of it back when I was hanging with yaoi writers a lot, and "non-con" as it was called then was very niche.

Ah you're talking about yaoi fanfic. I'll take your word for it, I have no experience with JP or western yaoi fanfiction.

But then, even in manga someone here pointed out a little while back how the seme/uke roles tend to mirror the "push the girl against the wall" relationships from shoujo.

Icwutudidthar!

The articles I've read do tend to focus on fic more than doujins in any case.

Well fics are word based so a writer can make a character seem much more "complex" than he truly is.

My thoughts are it's totally irrelevant to this conversation, a much bigger topic than I want to get into at the moment, and the topic is prone to a lot of strawmanning which is a pain in the ass to deal with.

You're no fun! =P

Well, most of what I've seen doesn't seem to be too concerned with the money angle, so much as the fact that there's so little good femslash out there by comparison. Most yuri fans I've run into are mainly concerned with getting more yuri, and it's frustrating when there isn't much to be had.

I was speaking of lesbian romance as whole compared to it's counterpart. It feels like it's never taken seriously by the masses. But you probably have a more in depth understanding of this than me. From an outsiders point of view that's how I see it.

@Choco, maybe it was but I did not care to find out more posts so I could gauge the blogger's personality. It's a lot of work for clicking a link in the first place.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

I was speaking of lesbian romance as whole compared to it's counterpart. It feels like it's never taken seriously by the masses. But you probably have a more in depth understanding of this than me. From an outsiders point of view that's how I see it.

I find it mildly amusing when I see two groups both convinced there side got the shorter end of the stick when it comes to representation. Don't get where the sides came from though, I just see them some times.

@Choco, maybe it was but I did not care to find out more posts so I could gauge the blogger's personality. It's a lot of work for clicking a link in the first place.

Am I Choco? Yay, I got a nickname for sake of convenience, this is the greatest day of my life!

And having read the rest of the comments, he sounds like one of those defensive Catholics, who feel disagreeing with them is an assault on their beliefs.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

This is more or less my view on the subject too. Though I'm not against reading het or yaoi if it's actually decent and there's more to it than just sex. I don't mind sex scenes and fan service in my mangas so long as it doesn't feel forced.

To reply you must either login or sign up.