Forum › Shibuya recognizes same-sex partnerships

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

"Shibuya ward in Tokyo has become the first locale in Japan to recognize gay couples, a major step forward for LGBTI rights in the conservative country."

"The district assembly Tuesday (31 March) voted overwhelmingly in favor of issuing certificates recognizing same-sex unions as 'equivalent to marriage' and granting them housing and hospital visitation rights."

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/tokyo-ward-becomes-first-japan-recognize-gay-partnerships310315

May this spread to the entire country, and encourage more married couple yuri along the way!

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

That's awesome, thanks for the info! "Overwhelming in favor" sounds really good.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

I was a little sad that selector infected was taken down from Dynasty, but with those news there's no way to be sad! II sure hope it will spread to the rest of japan.

last edited at Mar 31, 2015 10:42AM

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Great news!

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Oh, i've heard it in the radio earlier
Unfortunately i also heard that the majority of the population doesn't agree with this

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Oh, i've heard it in the radio earlier
Unfortunately i also heard that the majority of the population doesn't agree with this

Well, Abe's been pushing hard against it so that's no surprise. The fact that there are other wards as well as the city of Yokohama looking at following suit suggests that in some areas (as opposed to the country as a whole) there are pockets of tolerance that want this to happen.

I can see in the long run, this turning into a similar situation with the States where it's a slow, bit-by-bit process until there's enough critical mass to trigger change on a national level. Certainly the longer things like this stay in place, the more proponents can point to it and say "See? Society didn't crumble, marriage is still marriage, and the only real change is that more people are happy."

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Certainly if a city of 3.7 million like Yokohama adopts partnerships, that'll signal a sea change that'll bring over more areas that are currently on the fence.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

It's almost always stupid old people that can't accept change that try to fuck with gays, and japan has a lot of old people, I sure hope this Abe guy won't be able to stop things now that they started...

What does this Abe do? I don't have any idea who he is...

last edited at Mar 31, 2015 11:47AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It's almost always stupid old people that can't accept change that try to fuck with gays, and japan has a lot of old people, I sure hope this Abe guy won't be able to stop things now that they started...

What does this Abe do? I don't have any idea who he is...

He's...the Prime Minister. You've talking about Japanese politics and can't even Google that much?

One complicating factor is worry about Japan's famously-declining birth rate. I can imagine the propaganda opposing SSM would leverage that trend and say it would get worse if this was allowed.

last edited at Mar 31, 2015 12:07PM

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

He's...the Prime Minister. You've talking about Japanese politics and can't even Google that much?

I'm on smartphone so it's hard to search, and of course it's that guy, didn't remember his name, didn't he say the earthquake was gays fault?

One complicating factor is worry about Japan's already-declining birth rate. I can imagine the propaganda opposing SSM would leverage that trend and say it would get worse if this was allowed.

It' funny because legalizing gay marriage, maybe they would make more artificial insemination to have children, and the fact that prohibiting gay marriage wouldn't make difference on birth, it's the otakus that are not having children, but if course let's put the blame on gays!

last edited at Mar 31, 2015 12:10PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

One complicating factor is worry about Japan's already-declining birth rate. I can imagine the propaganda opposing SSM would leverage that trend and say it would get worse if this was allowed.

It' funny because legalizing gay marriage, maybe they would make more artificial insemination to have children, and the fact that prohibiting gay marriage wouldn't make difference on birth, it's the otakus that are not having children, but if course let's put the blame on gays!

Actually, at present artificial insemination isn't permitted for lesbians in Japan either. So that's a separate battle.

Also, otakus aren't such a big population that they have much impact on the birth rate. One of the more realistic explanations I've heard is that traditional Japanese marriages really aren't very attractive from the female point of view (little autonomy, often pressured to give up career, husbands pushed to work very long hours so rarely see them, etc.) so an awful lot are just opting out altogether.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Actually, at present artificial insemination isn't permitted for lesbians in Japan either. So that's a separate battle.

Didn't know about that, but it's not a surprise.

Also, otakus aren't such a big population that they have much impact on the birth rate. One of the more realistic explanations I've heard is that traditional Japanese marriages really aren't very attractive from the female point of view (little autonomy, often pressured to give up career, husbands pushed to work very long hours so rarely see them, etc.) so an awful lot are just opting out altogether.

In truth it's gay and womans that are fighting for their rights, a shame that there's so much people in japan that still think womam should have those bad marriages.

They're probably scared that if gays get their rights, even more womans will go against their "traditional ways", like how they think marriages should be, or something like that.

In truth both modern man and woman have it bad in japan, and the older ones think their traditionall way is right, japan is a sad place, no wonder there is so much fiction for escapism...

last edited at Mar 31, 2015 1:15PM

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Oh sweet! I wonder how long it'll take until the world realizes horses will not start eating each other because a same-sex couple wants a kid.
But seriously this kind of news always make me smile, it's a slow process but it's getting there SOON THE WHOLE WORLD

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Oh sweet! I wonder how long it'll take until the world realizes horses will not start eating each other because a same-sex couple wants a kid.
But seriously this kind of news always make me smile, it's a slow process but it's getting there SOON THE WHOLE WORLD

Taking in account countries, most from the middle east (or was west?), that follows Islam, I doubt the whole world will realize that, it's alright to believe in a religion or follow some traditions, but these guys are ridiculous, it's like they stopped in time...

At least the rest of the world knows to think for thenselves and not blindy believe in a bunch of bullshit from two thousand years ago that teachs to treat woman like some inferior crap that need to be submissive to man.

last edited at Mar 31, 2015 3:07PM

joined Jan 30, 2013

Taking in account countries, most from the middle east (or was west?), that follows Islam, I doubt the whole world will realize that, it's alright to believe in a religion or follow some traditions, but these guys are ridiculous, it's like they stopped in time...

At least the rest of the world knows to think for thenselves and not blindy believe in a bunch of bullshit from two thousand years ago that teachs to treat woman like some inferior crap that need to be submissive to man.

Are you capable of writing, say, 5 posts without being condescending?
Regardless of the (in)validity of your statements, you've got to change your tone.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Regardless of the (in)validity of your statements, you've got to change your tone.

It's the way I always talked, I don't have any idea if I'm being condescending or not since english is not my native language, it could be that I'm just not expressing myself correctly and it gives that impression, I will try to change my tone only if the mod think I should, you're the only one complaining and as far as I know you could be the crazy anon that only comes here to annoy everyone because he thinks he's always right.

Nezchan, I'm being condescending? or there is something wrong with my tone?

last edited at Mar 31, 2015 3:36PM

Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

Also I don't remember where I read it but since the economic bubble burst a lot the younger population seem to be concerned whether or not they can support themselves let alone a family. There seems to be a growing uncertainty with the aging institutions within Japan and the rigid adherence the older generations seems to have for them. Which is a little weird since if I am not mistake a lot of the current Japanese set-up was a byproduct of the outcome of WWII. I also remember reading it was Japan's willingness to change and incorporate new ideas following WWII that allowed them to ascend so quickly in the international community.

Anyway this is great news, we are one step closer to a world where everyone is granted the same rights and privileges. I really do hope this trend continues and moves forward across the country. Obviously not only for the couples that have been disenfranchised, but for the possible stories. I would really love for a new wave of adult relationship yuri to come about, especially ones about married couples.

joined Jan 30, 2013

It's the way I always talked, I don't have any idea if I'm being condescending or not since english is not my native language, it could be that I'm just not expressing myself correctly and it gives that impression, I will try to change my tone only if the mod think I should, you're the only one complaining and as far as I know you could be the crazy anon that only comes here to annoy everyone because he thinks he's always right.

I've been here for years, I assure you I am not that anon. It's also pretty clear that English isn't your native language and I'm not holding that against you.
But calling the second largest religion in the world a "bunch of bullshit" or repeatedly mention "pathethic, perverted otakus" or again implying that my opinion doesn't count sounds pretty condescending to me. There is no need for a mod to recognise that.

last edited at Mar 31, 2015 5:59PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Dude, don't look at me to back you up against a longstanding member (322 posts since 2013, it's right there under their avatar, you can check for yourself).

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

I'm delighted by this news.

On a related note, in fact, it's extremely hard for LGBT+ couples to adopt too, due to a much more stringent and harsher process that they must go through compared with the process heterosexual couples go through.

last edited at Mar 31, 2015 4:02PM

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

I've been here for years, I assure you I am not that anon. It's also pretty clear that English isn't your native language and I'm not holding that against you.
But calling the second largest religion in the world a "bunch of bullshit" or repeatedly mention "pathethic, perverted otakus" or again implying that opinion doesn't count sounds pretty condescending to me. There is no need for a mod to recognise that.

That anon had multiple accounts so as far as I know you could be him since I don't know you, I just stated my opinions, if you felt attacked in any way by them all I can say is sorry, but in any moment I tried to say that other opinions doesn't count or are wrong, that's your interpretation, if I said anything wrong please go ahead and correct me, since this is not my native language I can't do much, even if I tried I wouldn't have any idea if I was not being condescending or talking in a better tone, I wouldn't know if I'm like that even in my own language.

Dude, don't look at me to back you up against a longstanding member (322 posts since 2013, it's right there under their avatar, you can check for yourself).

I wasn't looking for back up, I sincerely was asking your opinion if I was being like that or not.

last edited at Mar 31, 2015 4:23PM

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

This thread is derailing EJECT! EJECT! EJECT!

No, seriously, I hope this is the only post that will adress the matter, since we are really derailing right now, your problem so far is that your personal emotions to topics are really REALLLLLLY heavily highlighted in your posts, to the point that it could be considered an insult when you use the more colorful words in your repertoire. Listen, those people, as much as it looks stupid on the surface, have much more complex reasons to be the way they are, now, I don't mean that those ideas still stand the test of time but almost NOBODY. I REPEAT. ALMOST NOBODY stands up in the morning and decides to be stupid/misogyny/anti-gay-X-whatever today,

This should get the train back on again, hopefully

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

it seems that finally even here in italy they want to make something in that direction, and here there's a big wall called vatican,
like for divorce and abortion, what is right is right, the matter is only about how long the bigots and right-wingers can slow down the civilization

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

This thread is derailing EJECT! EJECT! EJECT!

No, seriously, I hope this is the only post that will adress the matter, since we are really derailing right now, your problem so far is that your personal emotions to topics are really REALLLLLLY heavily highlighted in your posts, to the point that it could be considered an insult when you use the more colorful words in your repertoire. Listen, those people, as much as it looks stupid on the surface, have much more complex reasons to be the way they are, now, I don't mean that those ideas still stand the test of time but almost NOBODY. I REPEAT. ALMOST NOBODY stands up in the morning and decides to be stupid/misogyny/anti-gay-X-whatever today,

This should get the train back on again, hopefully

I didn't have any idea my emotions showed so much in my posts, when write "more colorful words" I don't necessarily use them to be offensive, at least where I live, everyone kind of talk like that, insults are used in so much context here that most of the time they're not even seen as insults anymore unless you want, so most of the time I talk like that without realizing it, and I know people have more complex reasons to be like that, but nowadays when I talk about something that I don't like I tend to get a little out of control and say too much...

Anyway, to end this issue, sorry if I offended anyone, I will try to control it more, if you think I'm saying too much feel free warn me, now let's go back to gay marriage.

last edited at Mar 31, 2015 4:54PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nez Note

Agree with Maus, let's stay on topic here, which is the advance of Same-Sex Marriage (or a reasonable, hand-drawn facsimile) in the country that produces our entertainment. Which, I expect, will eventually be reflected in said media. Such as in Kisses, Sighs and Cherry-Blossom Pink where they mention at the end that non-binding marriage ceremonies have recently begun to be provided at some locations there.

Let's leave the personal squabbles and speculation about entirely different countries than the one at hand, and religions other than the relevant ones (Shinto & Buddhism primarily) at the door, shall we?

To reply you must either login or sign up.