Forum › Posts by Blue Saint

Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

First, yes this outcome isn't what I assume most of us here wanted and there could be a lot of bad policy happening in the next few years. But just take a minute. This is one election, there will be a mid-term in 2 years with the campaigning starting in probably little over year. Yes the Republicans got the White House and Congress, but that can be a doubled edged sword. Obama and the Democrats got the same in 2008 which help lead to the rise and gains of the Tea Party movement. Remember America is the continual experiment in democracy.

Honestly more than anything this election was the last gasp of the baby boomers, again fucking over the next couple generations. Time and time again they were given the keys to the world and they tossed them in the mud. If you are upset and worried, don't just let it fester. Do something with it even if it is just talking about all of what has happened with friends and family. These last few years have brought to light issues that need to be addressed. It can be easy to dismiss them as "cries of the sjw", but look at that term. What is wrong with social justice, we have let a cause Americas gave their lives for to become a pejorative and a joke.

Now I know no one here has any reason to listen to me. I haven't posted here in well over a year and when I did it was sporadic at best. To go even further I am an asexual white male so I will be effected among the least. Even if you dismiss everything else I have to say, just remember this: we can learn from this and become better for it.

Blue Saint
LOVE/DEATH discussion 06 Apr 20:42
Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

These are the cutest and most love filled threats of death ever!

Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

First I have to say to say I love Akina trying so hard to hide her otaku nature despite her old friend's obviously not caring/already figured it out. It reminds me of a time when I tried to hide my own hobbies and interests since I felt embarrassed by them.

Also I hope they do go with Akina trying to hide her love for Kaede. I can see Akina and Kaede going out by themselves more often, all the while Akina trying to hide her sexual frustrations and making excuses for her actions. The kicker being Kaede asking her why she is being so weird on their dates.

Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

Actually, at present artificial insemination isn't permitted for lesbians in Japan either. So that's a separate battle.

Also, otakus aren't such a big population that they have much impact on the birth rate. One of the more realistic explanations I've heard is that traditional Japanese marriages really aren't very attractive from the female point of view (little autonomy, often pressured to give up career, husbands pushed to work very long hours so rarely see them, etc.) so an awful lot are just opting out altogether.

Also I don't remember where I read it but since the economic bubble burst a lot the younger population seem to be concerned whether or not they can support themselves let alone a family. There seems to be a growing uncertainty with the aging institutions within Japan and the rigid adherence the older generations seems to have for them. Which is a little weird since if I am not mistake a lot of the current Japanese set-up was a byproduct of the outcome of WWII. I also remember reading it was Japan's willingness to change and incorporate new ideas following WWII that allowed them to ascend so quickly in the international community.

Anyway this is great news, we are one step closer to a world where everyone is granted the same rights and privileges. I really do hope this trend continues and moves forward across the country. Obviously not only for the couples that have been disenfranchised, but for the possible stories. I would really love for a new wave of adult relationship yuri to come about, especially ones about married couples.

Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

To me, it common sense that you don't tease that way a girl as insecure as Ruki, even as a joke. It's as if she was saying "See, I can dump you/cheat on you whenever I want". And just before she that, she make it clear that nobody apart from her can touch Ruki. The balance of power is way off, and it's nothing near protecting Ruki as she said she would do.
This is just the same relationship as Sacchi and her ex, there is absolutely no progress

I think the difference between the relationships is that, with Ruki Sacchan is upfront about that side of herself. Yes it's not a particularly pleasant side and also one you shouldn't in anyway encourage. This is part of what Sacchan meant if Ruki was willing to accept her. Furthermore we get no real indication that Sacchan was even being seriously about it. You could just look at that scene of Sacchan being wistful about an former lover, since if nothing else Remi seems to be really good in bed.

Also I am not saying this is a perfect relationship or even a completely healthy one, but I still think they are in love. This is a messy relationship that has a lot of baggage, but I see them as willing to work through that and grow as couple. As for their long term prospects, as I said I have no idea. In the end I think they are happy with each other, but if that happiness lasts is another matter.

last edited at Mar 30, 2015 1:59PM

Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

Hmmm... Not the ending I was hoping for, I would have liked more of an exploration of Remi and her past. Kinda feels like there could have been another volume in here. Since this ending feels like it was planned to always be the ending, regardless of story length.

As for Ruki and Sacchan. I still think they are committed to each other. The exchange with Remi was probably Sacchan teasing Ruki, but also that yes she still may be attracted to Remi. Honestly I don't see why this is such a big deal though. I am sure countless people in committed relationships are attracted to people other than their partner, and some may even flirt with others. But does that mean that every single one of those people are going to cheat?

For me I see Ruki and Sacchan trying to make their relationship work, since they do care for each other. Will they stay together? I honestly can't say. Since this story to me does have the a bit realism that a lot of romances seem to lack. I doesn't try to predict or project a future for the characters, it is left open. All I can say is that as of the moment we leave them, I think are happy with each other.

Blue Saint
Lily Love discussion 21 Mar 20:01
Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

Really like the cliffhanger. I've never bought the "accidental kiss" stuff, since real people would catch themselves before contact. This feels a lot more real.

It was cute, but I think we are going to have one of them, most likely Donut, have to go vomit thus stopping the kiss. I hope that doesn't happen since I really like that last page. Just that panel of the two inching towards each other, their breathe visible so close to intertwining. As if their very souls are about join with each other.

Blue Saint
Kase-san discussion 14 Mar 19:26
Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

I loved Yamada and Kase-san waving at each other, it's like you could hear their excitement. I wonder when Kase-san is going to introduce Yamada to everyone, you can see she feels sad that Yamada doesn't want to intrude.

Blue Saint
Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

Holy crap, I just started this today. This is amazing. I just couldn't stop reading. This was really heavy at times, but that just made me want to cheer the characters on even more.

Plus I like how it shows that there is a lot room when it comes to identity. Even if it isn't to level of Marika, I love how it shows the secondary characters dealing with these issues and questions, too. It's a great touch that really helps to expand and reinforce the theme of the book, at least me.

Also I just love the Nastume family. You know what would be awesome if the real world was like that, having so many supportive and understanding people. I would read series just about them.

Blue Saint
Roundabout discussion 08 Mar 19:28
Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

I like the feeling of unease we get at the end of the story. We never know for sure if Chiharu is telling the truth and that helps us relate with Asami, which is why we can accept in part her insane "revenge". I like to think they lived happily ever after. I think that because they are both willing to go to such extreme lengths. Asami to get over her love that has haunted her for years, and Chiharu to hold together the love she just found/rediscovered.

Blue Saint
Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

So I never really understood much of this series. I would like to say I was able to grasp a basic understanding of some the concepts and theories put forth here, but I can't say that with with any certainty. I feel I may have gleamed just enough to find the story engaging though. That said I love that a romance comic with "magical gunpla" is trying to have a conversation about quantum theory with it's audience.

Now I could be wrong but does anyone else think the "magical gunpla" are an extension of Gaku's will and love for Yukari. Also that the reason Yukari sees everyone as "robots" is due to her feeling the love of Gaku that fills the "universe". In effect making Yukari and Gaku the cause and effect for one another, thus somehow their love for each is infinite by one causing the other forever. And that maybe the reason Gaku could never find a good universe is due to the fact she interrupted the causation of their love thus causing the introduction of chaos into her existence .

You know if I approach this series in terms of free will and determinism it makes more sense for me. But even then I could be misusing and misrepresenting terms. Either way I think I end being a sophomoric jackass.

Blue Saint
Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

good old yuri is just good :v

I agree, I love reading or re-reading a lot of these one-shots. I like the feeling of not being sure how it is going to end. I hope for a happy ending, but I think it's nice to have a sad one every now again.

Blue Saint
Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

You know I forgot about this story, but I am glad we got a new chapter. I actually really like the message here. Mizuki and Moe understand that being the best isn't what is important, since you will almost always find someone better. But so long as you are doing it from your own reasons you can find a sense of purpose and joy. Plus it was cute in hindsight that Mizuki felt like Moe had decided to abandon her for Kurosawa.

Not sure how I feel about Kurosawa quite yet as character. I don't hate by any measure, plus I do get why she acts as she does. She hates the spotlight and all the pressure people want to put on her, so she has just decided to ignore it all. I also get she sees Ayaka as someone who can show the world she isn't "perfect" so maybe she can be a bit more normal. My issue is I am not sure if the affection she has for Ayaka is due to her wanting Ayaka to best her or from an actual interest.

Blue Saint
Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

In another world this would be the first chapter about someone trying to put together Japan's National Women Chess Boxing team. It would be called Check-Mates. Tag line: These women don't just work up a sweat in the ring.

Seriously that was great. I love how it came right after the teacher gave an inspiring speech. Also is this fighting for your love or just feeling someone needs a good smack? I am fine with either.

Blue Saint
Citrus discussion 03 Mar 16:27
Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

I have said this before but this is building to something, just like the other volumes had us go through the middle until we had the advancement at the end. Anyway I think it helps to take a long view with this story, since it seems the story is meant to taken volume to volume. I never though I would see a manga written for the trade.

So I have been re-reading the previous chapters, mainly trying to see if there was some hidden pattern with Mei's eyes. There really wasn't outside the first volume whenever she had those hazy eyes, which was her tell when she was repressing her emotions. Anyway I noticed that each volume had a different temporal theme, for lack of a better term.

The first volume centered around the present. It dealt mainly with Yuzu and Mei's current troubles and attitudes. From adjusting to be family, the whole creepy fiance issue, Gramps health issues, and finally the girls realizing their basic feelings for one another. Volume two dealt with Mei's past from Himeko to her dad. Volume three centered around Matsuri. Each of the stories and challenges revealed more about the forces that are shaping their love for another.

I say this because I think the fourth volume is about Yuzu and Mei's future together. Not only do I see Sara and Nina are representations of all the future forces that will try to keep them apart. But also as parallel to what will happen if they continue to ignore their feelings for each other. Also I think it important to note Sara use of destiny when describing her love. For me it seems like it is setting up Yuzu and Mei admitting to themselves they will face troubles and temptations, but they would let anyone decide their future other than themselves. Basically saying someone trying to force their destiny onto Yuzu and Mei is pointless since they will decide it all for themselves.

Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

The fact that there's LITERALLY A SLASH in the title makes me laugh. There's no way the writers did that accidentally.

I don't doubt it either, especially considering what is happening with Dick Grayson, the first Robin. Not only is DC embracing the all jokes his first name just begs for, there was Midnighter's recent appearance. Long story short Dick is now a secret double-agent whose face can't be seen by anyone outside the spy organization. Midnighter is a gay Batman analogue that was part of another company that got absorbed by DC. Midnighter figured who Dick was because he could never forget his ass.

Blue Saint
Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

A lot to talk about with this story. First I want to talk about Botan. I don't fault for having the affair. You can tell she gave up so much to shoulder the responsibility forced onto her and she accepted it all. Her liaisons was the one that was only about her, she didn't have to worry about her family or the future. She made it clear none of the sex was meant to lead to anything more, it was about her having a release and probably some control over her life. She made it clear she had no intentions of having a relationship with anyone, let alone of trying to break-up the guy's marriage.

Actually now that I think about it I feel Botan's story is keyed into the central theme of the story: sometimes we outgrow traditions. Or rather sometimes traditions just no longer mean anything when they limit people unfairly. Looking back the idea of traditions is always in focus. From the small informal ones like the games the siblings play and the Christmas tree, to larger ones like marriage and family. Honestly the younger sisters reaction to Botan not wanting a traditional life is a bit hypocritical. Not only by them accepting Kashiwa for the person she is and wants the world to see her as, but also their acknowledgment that the traditional meaning of family is meaningless to them. Honestly I think the arc of the story is Sakura admitting to herself if one follows tradition for the sake of tradition it is rather pointless. For instance her deciding to forgo college to work instead, she admitted she was only going to go since that was what you were suppose to do. But at the same time traditions that mean something should be cherished, like putting up the Christmas tree since for the sisters that has significance. I really like that message.

I still have more I want to talk about, but I need longer to properly collect my thoughts. There are a lot of heavy topic here and I want to discuss them with the proper care. But I will close with this: I really loved this story. At times it offered challenges to the reader, but I enjoyed that. It offered a weight of realism that is welcome and a little refreshing.

Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

Well, most of the avatars here are either characters from anime/manga or pictures. Mine being this american superhero art with intense colors stand like a sore thumb.

Well you could also make a joke how New 52 Jason would be fine in a yaoi forum.

But I get what you mean, a lot of time you just end using an avatar that matches the theme of the forum you are on. Hell for me I use to have have a name unique to each forum. Like I was Shou Amabane (one of the leads of the Saturn game Burning Rangers) on a video game forums and Guncannon II on a Gundam one. Again I could be making something out of nothing (I do that a lot), but I think it comes down to a question of a sense of community or self-identity. There really isn't a right or wrong answer, just what at the moment makes it's way to front of your mind.

Also to give credit where it is due. My avatar was made by one Michael Lopez.

Blue Saint
Citrus discussion 01 Mar 22:16
Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

I think I may have been the one of the people that brought up Girlfriends. What I meant by that was the whole getting together part is being dragged out and I just want to see the couple actually be a couple. I love that part of love stories. Girlfriends was a bit more clean, for lack of better word. There none of the characters were dealing with emotional tramua or struggling with ideas about family and all the issues that involves. Girlfriends at least for me was the story of two people trying to define love for each other without any prior knowledge of the subject. In a sense Citrus is similar but it deals more with trying to understand love when you are faced with some preconceived notions of it that doesn't apply. Either Yuzu's notions of familial and heteronormative love or Mei's toxic and abusive experiences.

As for Sara, this is just a guess but by some dialogue between her and Yuzu it seems Mei and Nina are somewhat similar. So this could all be a set-up for Sara and Nina to finally face their feelings for each other. Which would be after whatever is going either works out like someone planned or blows up like a million star going novae.

Blue Saint
Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

I haven't thought about Lucky Star is years. And this was just so wonderful. Plus some Sega Saturn love at the end, can't top that.

last edited at Mar 1, 2015 8:22PM

Blue Saint
Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

It's Ikuhara. I take it you've never seen Utena?

I have never seen it but I do remember hearing a lot about especially during my early days on the net. That was mainly due to me trying to find out any information about Sailor Moon. I also remember seeing a video on Adolescence of Utena, which kinda killed my interest in the regular series. If I can at some point pick up the series for cheap maybe then.

Anyway as for this beast. I want to support it. I want to support so more yuri can get made. I am not sure about everyone else, but I love yuri since it offers something I can't really find anywhere else. It makes me feel like despite everything it is still possible to be truly in love, the rest of the world be damn. With this there is just this feeling that what I am watching is just mean spirited.

Blue Saint
Citrus discussion 01 Mar 18:10
Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

Frankly I see Nina more as feeling that while she can't be with her sister, she will try everything to make her happy.

Blue Saint
Citrus discussion 01 Mar 13:46
Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

Yeah the whole Sara thing does bother me a bit. I think her confession is important for Mei to grow as character, I am just nervous about the follow through. I still don't see Mei toying with Sara, Yuzu certainly since I think part of her enjoys teasing her. Unless this is some giant gambit Mei came up with so she can get Yuzu and have Sara fall into the arms of Nina. Since I get the feeling Mei picked up on the fact Nina likes Sara.

Now that you brought it up I am wondering if Mei was using some double talk when talking about accepting the confession. We all assumed she meant Sara, but she could have been referring to Yuzu. I know we don't have much to go on, but there is something happening. We are missing key parts of conversations and everything is rather vague.

Conversely this may sound weird after everything I said, but Mei may just be honest about accepting Sara's confession. What is getting me to that point is the final page. It is subtle but I really think Mei knows what she is saying is hurting Yuzu and that pains her. I could just be making something out of nothing, but in the scene she doesn't have that same apathetic look as usual. On why she may be honestly accepting Sara's confession, I think Mei just wants to stop hurting Yuzu. I think she can see Yuzu's feelings for her are twisting Yuzu up and maybe she figures it is best to end it all.

I think what I am getting at is there is something going on. I understand all the frustration, hell my first reaction at the end of the chapter was yelling "son of a bitch" at my screen. But after that I take a second and tell myself I know they are going end up together. All this drama is just drawing it out, but when they do connect I will be smiling. Although if on the off chance they don't get together I will be impressed and then just cry.

Plus now that you mention I think Harumin-Matsuri sub-plot would be fun after Yuzu and Mei get together. Just have Yuzu stumble on them in throes of passion. Oh the hijinks that would follow.

Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

Mine is of dumb monster from an episode of Scooby-Doo. My previous one was a Charmander.

Nothing wrong with Space Kook.

I was actually wondering what I should use for my avatar just this morning. I usually go for something superhero related like the electric blue Superman logo. So in that vein I choose my favorite supervillian: Dr. Mrs. The Monarch from the Venture Bros. Despite knowing she is voiced by a man I don't notice anymore and just find her to be the sexiest and most fun character on television.

Blue Saint
Citrus discussion 01 Mar 02:31
Drmrsmonarch
joined Feb 23, 2015

After reading the last few chapters again, I think the main issue is that they just aren't on the same level emotionally yet. Yuzu is struggling with her emotions. I think she does accept her feelings for Mei, but is having a hard time trying articulating them properly. Also I think while she would like to be intimate with Mei she is afraid. Not just of betraying her role as a sister, but also she doesn't want to feel like she is just using Mei to sate her desire. Since for Yuzu I feel she wants to connect with Mei and not just use her as an object like that teacher did. The problem is Mei is so guarded, aloof, and casually about intimacy it is just twisting Yuzu up inside. She seems so desperate to connect with Mei, but she panics and trips over her words when Mei doesn't react.

As for Mei since we are meant to follow Yuzu we are also in dark about a lot of what Mei's actions and words mean. Unlike a lot of people I don't see malice in Mei's action here. It's building towards something. Frankly I think Mei is just confused about how Yuzu feels. Mei was more than willing to offer herself up to Yuzu at Christmas, but was pushed away. I think Mei is having a hard time trying grasp that Yuzu needs more from her than just her body. I do think in her own way Mei was being kind. I think she is having a hard grasping that while Yuzu does desire her, it is more than just a physical attraction. I may be wrong but I think she has a hard time believing that someone could be that in love with her. Since all the other in her that have "loved" were either using her or gone about it in superficial way.

Now I could easily be proven wrong with the next chapter, but I think Sara's confession made Mei realize something. Which is why I think she had that slight smile on the two-page spread. Mei asked Sara if she needed her and I think Mei finally got it. Love is about depending on one another, caring for another person, and just basically trusting each other. i feel it all fell into place for her at that point.

As for the last page, I think Mei is playing at something here. I am not sure what. Maybe she feels she is broken and wants to spare Yuzu. Or she is testing Yuzu to see if this what she really wants. There is something going on since I doubt Mei would just fool around with Sara. It is going to be a long wait for the next chapter, but I think this volume will end up bearing fruit.